Reputation Points - Discussion

• Thread starter G.T
  • 690 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
SkylineGoes
Am I I the only one who thinks the talk here has gone a little off-topic?? After all the title is reputation points problem, and you guys are making ED3 a president here? Though I have to agree that ED3's idea is very good.
And I believe no one has answered the original question yet, considering the counting of the points? Or have I totally missed the answer? I think it was pretty clearly said that if you give people a good rating you give then 10 points and when you give them a bad rating you "take" 10 points. So at least with my math, by only playing with 10s you're not able to get 19 or 16 points :confused: This point-system is confusing me!
It explains that HERE.

It's in the third paragraph.

SkylineGoes
Am I I the only one who thinks the talk here has gone a little off-topic?? After all the title is reputation points problem, and you guys are making ED3 a president here? Though I have to agree that ED3's idea is very good.
Okay, you can be vice-president.

:D

Du?k
It explains that HERE.

It's in the third paragraph.
Thanks Duck! I totally missed that when I went through all the posts. :ouch:
@ FatAssBR :lol: Thanks dude! Though I'd like to be the prime minister more than being a vice-president :lol:

One thing it might be worth considering - show users where they've gained and lost points. List all of their rated posts in their Control Panel somewhere, with how many points they've been granted/had removed and the posted reasons (though not WHO rated it).

I lost a point today, and am wondering exactly where from. If I don't know, I won't know why. If I don't know why, I won't know how not to lose points in the future...

Famine
One thing it might be worth considering - show users where they've gained and lost points. List all of their rated posts in their Control Panel somewhere, with how many points they've been granted/had removed and the posted reasons (though not WHO rated it).

I lost a point today, and am wondering exactly where from. If I don't know, I won't know why. If I don't know why, I won't know how not to lose points in the future...

Agreed, yesterday I went from 10 -> 6 -> 23

Famine has a good point.

Why not letting the users know where and why they lost or gained some points?

This would be very useful and educational.

Good idea.

Also, I agree with the award system not being active in the Conversation Forum.

The Wizard.

Yes, I also want to know where I've gone wrong, so I know where I've gone wrong to improve myself in the future. Luckily enough, I've only gone up so far, but don't know where.

Dang, you're pretty dang popular/unpopular. I'm stale.

I become un-popular by those who hate GM, and I become popular by those who like my auto news.

THE ED3
Thats the best idea I've heard yet!
OK, enough with this, now. It's old already and it's wasting thread space.

Also, your signature is way too large. GTP guidelines call for no more than six lines, including blanks. Please edit it down. Getting rid of the [ quote ] tag is a great way to reduce the wasted space.

Thanks.

I have a suggestion and a question.

Suggestion - if petty negative reps get out of hand a solution could be to not allow users to reduce another user's rating, rather this should be done by moderators if a post is reported to them.

Question - is there a time limit that works in conjuntion with the minimum 10 references to other people? For example if I give a user a rating today and then give out no other ratings for a few months, it would appear that I would not be able to rate that user again (assuming it is for legit reasons). Perhaps a month long cutoff would be in order? I ask because although I don't see myself using the sysem very often, I do support it and do hope to use it occasionally where appropriate.

I apologize for not coming back to this thread sooner - I've had a pretty crazy week. Anyway, I think the biggest problem is with every one's perceptions of the reputation system. Everyone tries to use it as a ranking system, but that's not what it is at all. You either have "Quality Posts", or you don't. There is no labeled degree of quality (or lack of quality) in between that. The 300 points benchmark is designed to be extremely difficult to attain, and so far, it has proven to be so. You're not going to get that badge after a week or so of effort - it is a special reward for long-term users who are making a conscious effort to set a high standard at this site.

Can the system be abused? Of course! However, critics who use this argument are once again incorrectly viewing Reputation as a ranking system. It really doesn't matter if a cheat racks up 100 reputation points or more - they are still a long way off from 300. And, chances are, such an individual is lacking enough maturity to get consistently good ratings from the general public. Even if they do make it, their achievement will not go unnoticed and if I can see someone has unfairly attained the badge, I will correct their reputation to a more accurate amount.

Just give this system more time to prove itself.

I'd like to thank my manager, my girlfriend, all the folks down at Star of India curry house, my hamster, the Aga Khan, Chewbacca, Desert Orchid, everyone who's ever bought a Ford Capri and, most of all, everyone who has rated my posts - both for and against.

I love each and every one of you. Mwah! Mwah!

Attachments

• faminesgottheqpbadge.jpg
    faminesgottheqpbadge.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 76
  • faminesgottheqpbadge2.jpg
    faminesgottheqpbadge2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 67
Yep, that's what I mean.

In the beginning, someone said that one 👍 is worth ten points if the rater has ten points, 15 if the rater has 15 and so on. I don't think it works like this though? :odd:

People have an innate rating ability, depending on time on the site and number of posts.

A newbie has a rating ability of 1.
Someone who has been here for one year has an extra 1 point.
Someone who has 1,000 posts has an extra 1 point.

Since I've been here for two years and have 14,000+ posts, every time I rate a post, that person gets (or loses) 17 points (1 + 2 + 14).

This is independant of how many points I have, though it does account for 17 of my points.

I Seem to remember that once someone had "Quality Posts", we could view these posts. I can't find Famines. Where should I be looking?

We knew Famine would get it first. I mean, who else could? :lol:

Congrats. :cheers:

DQuaN
I Seem to remember that once someone had "Quality Posts", we could view these posts. I can't find Famines. Where should I be looking?
There's not any type of feature like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back