Reputation Points - Discussion

• Thread starter G.T
  • 690 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
cardude2004
I go to other vBulletin forum's, and it shows all of my posts that have received reputation points on the page that loads when you go to your User CP.

What version of vBulletin are they running? (Tells you at the bottom of the page if you didn't already know).

One says it uses vB 3.5 and the other says it uses vB 3.5.4.

EDIT: Screenshots -

rep2zw.gif

cardude2004
I go to other vBulletin forum's, and it shows all of my posts that have received reputation points on the page that loads when you go to your User CP.
Yep me too.

Prehaps it is a premium only feature?

I see a major sense of abuse with this thing, I constantly get neg points when someone disagrees with me. I only give it out when someone is being a complete idiot. If you disagree with me that is fine but really there is some serious abuse with this thing.

I wouldn't worry about it. You're not exactly banging off the bump-stops, and it's not like there's an official record of everyone's points and how they change from minute to minute.

Famine
I wouldn't worry about it. You're not exactly banging off the bump-stops, and it's not like there's an official record of everyone's points and how they change from minute to minute.

I don't really care what my rep is, I just think its something that is abused...and really should be done away with. I know who knows there stuff and who doesn't. Like I said it's a lot like post counts and people are just going to whore it.

And the only reason I posted it in here was because this seems like a far better area to talk about this sort of stuff over the Veyron thread.

There would have to be a lot of people involved in the scam to be able to give you negative or positive rep as and when. The same person can't give you negative rep for one post and then negative rep for another straight after. It's like if I give positive rep to Famine for example (happens a lot) I can't give him positive rep again until a certain time, or ammount of rep has been given to other members, with the aim of fixing it to give somone loads of positive or negative rep, is probbly far too time consuming and awkward for anyone to bother. I've found, 90% of the time the system balances out, like getting positive rep for a nothing post, then getting no rep for a really helpful one.

I thinkt he ultimate goal of the rep system is for certain members to be noticed for good quality posts, the ammount of rep you need to get there is quite high, and not counting the mods theres only three or four members that have it. If you don't have the quality post badge, it doesn't matter how much rep you have. Like I said, it's take so much time and effort to properly scam the system, it's not really worth it, and if someone is found to be attempting to scam it, the mod's take action.

I don't know I remember I looked this morning for some odd reason and it said 67, I checked after GT4_rule said something about it and I was down to 46. I just found that odd.

BlazinXtreme
[It] really should be done away with. I know who knows there stuff and who doesn't.

More than anything else, it's useful for newbies. They see people with the little green badges and then they know who knows their stuff.

At the moment there's only five or six people who have it. As GTP gets older I see that increasing steadily until we reach a point where suddenly 30-40 people get it all at once - because everyone is making small steps towards it anyway. At that point either the threshold will need to be increased or the system will need revised/removing, but for now it's a useful tool - especially for the staff with regard to members who are in the negative figures.

Edit: I really wouldn't worry with 46. You've only (relatively) recently become active again, and you've gained 36 points in that time. So overall you're doing something right, even if occasionally you do something wrong. Hell, I occasionally do something wrong - and get negative rep - and Jordan trusts me with the keys to the place!

Well I think that's the best explanation I've been given on the subject matter.

So anyone know what happened to my points? Dropped from 31 to 10 for no visible reason. Seriously, I think its abused....:guilty:

I might have received negative points once or twice. But like live4speed said, same member can not give you points again until he/she give points to 10(?) other members, so while it's possible you can abuse it here and there, you can't consistently pick on someone. Personally, I have NEVER given anyone negative points. Even with that BX fiasco while back, I held back. I guess I use it more as a rewarding points system. Too bad I can't reward myself. :P

What I find weird is that I repped PLmatt9 for a good post, then told him that. He said his went from 9 to 16, when it should've went up to 13. (1 year + 2k posts = 4 points).

I also found it weird that my rep went up from 41 to 64 in a matter of seconds.

GT4_Rule
So anyone know what happened to my points? Dropped from 31 to 10 for no visible reason.

It's simple - you had posts which received negative reputation.

Browse through your recent (usually it's a recent one, unless there's been a thread resurrection and you've been rated on something you said years ago) posts and click on the red tick at the top of each of them. You can find out which post or posts have been rated - both negatively and positively - and if the rater has left a reason for the rating. If they have (and it doesn't always, or even often, happen) then you can act upon their reason - to do it more if it's positive, or less if it's negative - or just ignore it.

But seriously, 31 or 10 - it doesn't matter. It can be summed up with "your posts are generally not negatively rated" = "you are not a poor member", so I wouldn't worry about it.

What I find weird is that I repped PLmatt9 for a good post, then told him that. He said his went from 9 to 16, when it should've went up to 13. (1 year + 2k posts = 4 points).

No, that's perfectly consistent with the system we have in place.

You'll have to wait until Jordan see's it, it might be something he isn't aware of yet.

live4speed
The general trend wth the rep system seems to be working though, the members that have the quality posts badge all deserve it

Well, that's that theory out of the window now...

:D

Well done, l4s! Welcome to "the club" :D

:lol:Cheeky.

Thanks, I'm now aparently in, "the club" 👍.

cardude2004
It is not a premium thing becuase I never paid a dime to either of those sites.
No I ment on GTP. I didn't pay anything to StaticHost. I am still on their VipFREE account. :D

Congrats live4speed :D

live4speed
:lol:Cheeky.

Thanks, I'm now aparently in, "the club" 👍.

Don't worry, I can change that right quick. :sly:

Congrats man. You certainly beat the snot out of me to the club.

Well done Dai!

I think it's going to be a good while before we see any Welsh representatives in "The Club".

Swift
Don't worry, I can change that right quick. :sly:

Congrats man. You certainly beat the snot out of me to the club.
I thought all the "Super Moderators" got the badge?. Don't tell me some negatives took it away. I don't think I've ever seen you post something that deserve a negative. :grumpy:

Allt he admin automatically got it, the mods were given the ability to give themselves the badge off the bat if they wanted to or to wait until it get's built up like everyone else.

Just like to blow that one out of the water - there isn't a single sub-300 pointer with the badge, even on the staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back