Which $3.5-$4.5M car should I buy?

TuneRVisioN

(Banned)
I jus finished racing the DTM 7 times for cash and was wondering... Which car should I buy thats $3.5-$4.5? I've been looking over the Peugeot 905 because of its lightweight. Also I've been thinking of getting a Pescarolo. (They have similar stock HP when I was racing the computer in arcade mode.) The Mazda 787B is good too, I just hope it sounds the same as it did in GT3. Please help... :nervous:

Welcome to GTP.

Have a look around before you create a new thead. Chances are your question has been asked and answered before.

In your case, your answer can probably be found here.

Thanks, daan. But i just want to know which one is the best for me since I haven't owned one of those pricey cars yet (I didn't do the GT World Championship). All I own is all of the DTM cars and a few others. :)

The Peugeot was the first one i bought. It just doesn't keep up...stock.. the Jag's better for same $, otherwise, the Nissan 92 rocks:tup: you know you can win it by doing the Fuji 1000 endurance race :crazy: But then again, it's much easier to win the Minolta @ El Capitan Endurance race. Use the Suzuki SXR-4 👍 ....piece of cake! Good Luck!

Well, the 787B sounds exactly the same as it did in GT3, so you will probably enjoy it. Personally, I would buy the Toyota GT-One (I like the sound that car makes, and it was one of my favourites in GT2) or the Pescarolo. Other Group C/LMP cars I would get if I could purchase them would be the Bentley and the R92-CP.

Have Fun!

you can get the black r92-cp if your days are close enough. (burning 50 or 100 to get there isn't so bad if you just pay attention and do a bunch of short races)

Do not buy the 905. :(
It shifts so slowly you would be amazed.
If you really want to buy a top dollar racer, buy one of the Pescarolo open wheel racers.
Either one is a good choice but the specific differences are something you have to decide for yourself.

The reason I say to pick a pesky is simple.
You can't win one and you can't buy a used one.
Check the prize car list and instantly cross off any of those from your purchase list.
Then check what's availible in arcade mode (it's always nice to add to the arcade library if you can).
Also, pick something that isn't going to be for sale in the used lot (such as the 787b, gt-one, GT1, RC92).
Finally, pick something you like. 👍 👍
Anything from the price range you're talking about is fast enough to win, so don't pick with concern for winning potential.
(oh and surely, do NOT pick the vertigo as it just can't compete at that level).

Hope that helps. :cheers:
Later. :D

Mazda 787B, it screams, it's a very fast car around the track, it's lightweight and gets better tire wear, it's only 3.5 mill. it's sexy, it screams, and it has a 5 speed. (6 speeds get annoying with all the shifting your doing)

Kent
buy one of the Pescarolo open wheel racers.
Tell me again that the Pescarolos are open wheel ;) :dopey:

My personal choice would be the Audi R8, it makes a much nicer noise than the Pescarolos and, in A-Spec, is faster with the right driver. It also has a much higher tuned top speed. Of course, that's without going into the racing history of the car, or its looks ;)

As Kent says, it is a good idea not to buy any cars you may later win, but I hate B-Spec so much I know that I will almost definitely never complete the 24hr Sarthe race required to win the R8 - so I bought it. In fact, I have three now, and I love them all :)

Oh, and do not buy a 905 - the gearbox really is that bad! :crazy:

Although I seem to have contradicted a couple of specific things, Kent's post is a good all-round guide to buying any cars 👍 +REP

DE

The R8 tickles my fancy. Maybe I'm the only one? It's nice to drive and feels very quick. Also, turbocharged with stage 4, it makes ~1100 bhp. If you are a good driver, it can be driven without electronic aids. You'll of course get some wheelspin, but you won't be off-course.

Eirik

What do you want the car for? As a serious racing machine or a fun car? If you just want a fast LMP car the best (arguably) can be won as prize cars -- Audi R8, R92CP, Toyota 88C-V, Sauber Mercedes, etc.

The Mazda 787B is certainly competitive and not available as a prize car. You can buy a used one during week 100 for about 1.2 million, though. Neither Pescarolo can be won and either would be a better choice for racing than the Pugeot, as others have mentioned.

Myself, I have my eye on the BMW V12 LMR Race Car. Not in hopes of it being a competitive ride, just to see if it's as much fun to drive as some of my other BMW's.

Myself, I have my eye on the BMW V12 LMR Race Car. Not in hopes of it being a competitive ride, just to see if it's as much fun to drive as some of my other BMW's.
Excellent choice. The BMW V12 LMR is an extremely capable car, as are all of the LMP1 cars in GT4.

In the hands of the AI the stock LMR will beat both Peskys in nearly every race in GT4 that the AI uses them in. In A-spec, you'll even do far better as it will easily beat the AI Peskys and Audi R8, but you should also be able to beat most of the Group C cars as well.

This was one of the last LM cars I ever used in races, and wish I had used it a lot sooner as it drives wonderfully! 👍

Thanks Dark Elite.
Glad to see you approve. :bowdown: :cheers:
Also, thanks for catching that Open Wheel comment (don't know why I said that... :confused: as the peskys clearly have the wheels up underneath the main body fo the car. :ouch: :dopey: )
So for pointing out the obvious and adding to the discussion... Rep +

BobK makes an excellent point by bringing up the BMW. That was actually the first 4.5 million racer I bought. I liked the appearance and I had been looking forward to using it in GT4 from the day I saw it was in the game. Add to that the fact that I liked it as a racer in real life... (then add on the fact that you can't win it and the V12...) :mischievous:
The BMW LMR V12 is an excellent choice.
(although it's not as easy to drive as the R8 and doesn't exactly have the tire life of the R8 either)

None the less, the LMR is serious trouble for any competition it goes against. 👍
(would rep bobK but can't do it again just yet as I'm getting the classic "must spread some rep around before you can give it to bob again" message) :ouch:

So there you have it.
BMW LMR V12 = A Solid Choice For A 4.5 Million Credit racer.

At the same time though, the Pescarolos are great as well. :P
If I was going to make the decisions about purchasing these cars all over again...

Buy the car, don't get in the car because that will save your game, exit GT mode and go to arcade mode. Test in arcade mode without any changes to the car.
Then reset the game and you will be back at the save point from before you bought the 4.5'er.
Finally, do that process over again with another car... Test them all like that and you'll have a great chance of finding what you want.

PS... Digi Nitrate... + rep for adding to the commentary on the BMW. 👍
Every little bit of advice for newbies is welcome and now with the rep system it can be rewarded as well. :cheers:

I'd say, as mentioned before, the Pescarolo C60 Judd.

Reasons: Awesome for B-speccing races. Good tire life, fast, great in corners.

It's very beginner friendly for new LMP or Group C drivers. Easy to get used to since it's so consistent.

You can B-spec the entire GT World Championship with it. Then it's a quick stop to Circuit de La Sarthe I enduro (I'm pretty sure it's I) and then you have the Audi R8 AND a Pescarolo C60 Judd.

Then after you get the R8, you can get the Bentley Speed 8 from the La Sarthe II enduro.

Once you get the R8 though, the possibilities are endless ;)

By this time you probably would have made up about 3.5 mil from the races, and if you want you could just sell the R8 for some extra cash.

After posting yesterday I cashed in a handful of R92CP's and 88C-V's I had tucked away in the corner of my garage and purchased the BMW V12. I ran a few races in the Dream Car championship to get the feel of the car then headed for the GT All Stars for some serious racing on Sears Point and Sarthe I, bringing along my shiny new BMW, a Judd Pescarolo and an Audi R8.

I found little to choose between the BMW and the Pescarolo, my best lap times were within a second of each other at Infineon and overall race times were within three seconds over eight laps. I had similar results at Sarthe I. I won't quote the actual times because I feel they're close enough not to matter for purposes of deciding which is faster.

The Pescarolo was easy enough to drive, but the BMW fit like an old glove. This of course is a strictly personal thing, you may well feel the opposite. In summary, you wouldn't be making a mistake by any means by selecting either car.

The Audi? Oh, that fit me even better :) But given you can win that at the Sarthe I enduro, don't bother buying it.

If I was going to make the decisions about purchasing these cars all over again...

Buy the car, don't get in the car because that will save your game, exit GT mode and go to arcade mode. Test in arcade mode without any changes to the car.
Then reset the game and you will be back at the save point from before you bought the 4.5'er.
Finally, do that process over again with another car... Test them all like that and you'll have a great chance of finding what you want.

Kent, that has to be the best advice I've seen yet on choosing a car. +rep!

Thanks, sorry for taking so long for the reply. I got the Pescarolo and now working on getting a new Mazda 787B. :) Just one question..... What happened to the turbo on a Mazda 787B? It used to have one in GT3. :mad: 🤬

I think this thread is pretty much finished now, but I will add to that comment the fact that all Group C cars are unstable at speed, especially the lighter ones such as the 787B. It's to be expected, and can be tuned out witha little suspension know-how, but personally I like it as a way to bring about the sense that doing such speeds really is dangerous :P

Just thought I'd say, then, that this is not a problem unique to the Mazda! :)

DE

Well, here are my choices:

-Toyota GT-ONE:
Probably one of the best ones out there when you're at a bumpy and sharp track, the gt-one sticks to the ground like glue and the handling in corners is impressive. When it comes to topspeeds, the gt-one has the highest topspeed after the R8 (366 km/h, R8: 370 km/h)

-Mazda 787b:
This is the car you're looking for when it comes a light, fast and steady ride. Though it "only" has 5 gears, the rotary engine produces a well known sweet engine sound and the acceleration is stunningly fast. This car achieves a topspeed around 350 km/h. Mind that this car is a million credits cheaper then other cars so you'll have a million more to spend :mischievous:

-Pescarolo's:
These cars give bang for their buck! The tire life of these two are far ahead of the others, making it possible to stay out for 8-9 laps at La Sarthe :eek: No talk needed about sound, acceleration, topspeed or braking, they're astonishing 👍

-Audi R8:
One hell of a car, incredible acceleration and topspeed. A very steady and innocent car in the corners but pressing your foot down is the same as putting dope in the engine room or something 'cause it goes like a rocket on the straits 👍

My top (5)

GT40, how many miles does your 787B have? Don't forget to put on the rigidity refresher if it needs one :) If not, it shouldn't be any more jittery than any other Group C car, assuming you haven't messed up the suspension.

Thanks, sorry for taking so long for the reply. I got the Pescarolo and now working on getting a new Mazda 787B. :) Just one question..... What happened to the turbo on a Mazda 787B? It used to have one in GT3. :mad: 🤬

Hey, you gotta buy that turbo for $75,000 or so. Whaddaya think that more power comes for free nowadays? :yuck:

LOL i meant that in GT3 it used to come with a turbocharger... and a turbo upgrade available, what happened to the turbo that comes with it stock?

GT40, how many miles does your 787B have? Don't forget to put on the rigidity refresher if it needs one :) If not, it shouldn't be any more jittery than any other Group C car, assuming you haven't messed up the suspension.

not that many but it just feels that way or it may be me as a driver. Ill check it tonight

Yes Pink, the GT-ONE is fast, but the Audi is still so much better on tight corner tracks :lol:, sorry, but Audi has beaten Toyota.

Random Comments.

Bentley Speed 8 - Fast, around 220Mph, also has pretty good grip on tight tracks, tyre wear is around average for the modern LeMans Car Class, but is out-performed by it's rival, the Audi R8.

Toyota 'Minolta' - The classic tyre eater, this car has to pit a lap or two earlier than the modern LeMans cars at La Sarthe, but it's great top speed makes up for this, it can easily keep up with the Nissan 92CP.

Nissan R89C/R92CP - Both very fast, although the R92Cp is faster, keeping up with the Minotla reaching 230 Mph on Test Course. But like the other LeMans cars from 1988-1995, it dosen't grip as much on tighter tracks.

Good comments George Morley, but the thread title asks which $3.5 - $4.5 Million car he should buy.

It's not possible to buy any of the cars you mentioned, except the Audi R8.
(Well, technically you can buy the Nissan R92CP, used in black, once every 693 days for 7 days before it disappears, but you can't buy the one with the racing livery.) ;)
It's pointless buying the Audi as you'll eventually win one for Sarthe I 24hr Endurance race, and therefore a waste of money. :dopey:
I'd opt for buying a Pescarolo, Mazda 787B or Toyota GT-One as Pink_the_Floyd suggests since you can't actually win these anywhere, if you want them you have to buy them. :)

If you do not count all the $3.5-$4.5M cars that can be won/earned or bought used then that leaves just five choices:
  • 1999 BMW V12 LMR
  • 1998 Panoz Esperante GTR-1
  • 2003 Pescarolo Courage C60/Peugeot
  • 2004 Pescarolo PlayStation C60/Judd
  • 1992 Peugeot 905

Here are the ones you can win:
  • 2001 Audi R8
  • 2003 Bentley Speed 8 (actually this is a $5.6M car)
  • 1997 BMW McLaren F1 GTR
  • 1969 Ford GT40
  • 1998 Mercedes-Benz AMG Mercedes CLK-GTR
  • 1989 Mercedes-Benz Sauber Mercedes C 9
  • 1992 Nissan R92CP
  • 2004 Polyphony Digital Formula Gran Turismo (actually this is a $7.5M car)
  • 1989 Toyota Minolta 88C-V

Here are the ones you can earn:
  • 1988 Jaguar XJR-9
  • 1989 Nissan R89C
  • 2004 Polyphony Digital Formula Gran Turismo (unique black version)

Here are the ones you can buy used (unique black versions):
  • 1991 Mazda 787B (also available new, but not black)
  • 1998 Nissan R390 GT1 (also available new, but not black)
  • 1992 Nissan R92CP
  • 1999 Toyota GT-One (also available new, but not black)

Like BobK, and Kent, my top choice would be the BMW LMR, for reasons already mentioned earlier in the thread. 👍

Back