Folding@home GTP Team is #55702 (PS3 and PC) - Team is once again ranked #700!

• Thread starter Eric.
  • 389 comments

Eric.

Premium
GTP_Eric
Ebiggs
Folding@home (FAH, F@H) is a (free) program that uses your computer's free power to simulate the folding of proteins. The program sends data back to Stanford University, which is used to help understand how diseases work.

http://folding.stanford.edu

You can set up teams so you and your friends can compete against other groups. If there is some interest, I plan on setting up a GTP team.

The program runs in the background and has a very low priority rate, so you probably will never need to turn it off. You can also control the CPU usage by percentage.

I've set up Team GTPlanet today since Folding@home is now available on the PS3. The team number is 55702.

Last edited:
I prefer Seti at home. Your computer analyses signals from space in the hope of finding extra terrestrial communications.

There are a few GTP'ers using it and there is a GTP team.

Thread.

I would be down for some GTP folding, Im guna get it for my ps3, so as soon as I get it I will join the GTP team. all for a good cause.

I would be down for some GTP folding, Im guna get it for my ps3, so as soon as I get it I will join the GTP team. all for a good cause.

Why not run it on your PC also? I don't know if the PS3 version will include teams.

Because they have had like over 1200 active processor cores this month....

Pretty much all the top guys run Core 2 Duos. Most of them 3.6ghz plus...

That, and a lot of the top guys have Folding Farms...

Because they have had like over 1200 active processor cores this month....

Pretty much all the top guys run Core 2 Duos. Most of them 3.6ghz plus...

That, and a lot of the top guys have Folding Farms...

I was joking. I know its a site for overclocking...I'm a (new) member.

I've created the GTPlanet team for Folding@home. The number is 55702. That will work for the PC and PS3.

The PS3 is amazing at Folding. My PC (2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 800) completes a frame in around 10-20 seconds. The PS3 is completing a frame in .07 seconds. 400,000 frames on this work unit, and it will finish in around 8 hours total. :dopey:

All while running a pretty sweet GUI.

How can you make this run in the back round on you PS3? I would definitely be interested in joining the team

Nope - you can't run it in the background. lt uses pretty much all the PS3's processing ability on it. l?m going to run it at night time as much as possible. :)

Current members are Solidfro and myself, each contributing 274 points. I wonder if all of the PS3 work units are going to be this huge. My PC's first unit was 5k frames, and the current is 50k frames. My PS3 work units have been 400k and 399,999.

Edit: Just let my PS3 run F@H for about seven hours. My room was nice and warm when I came back from work. The fan isn't even blowing at full speed right now...Maybe 75%.

I just joined up but i dont think it counts the unit i did before i was on the team, I will have a unit for you guys tomorrow morning and maybe another one tomorrow night:)

Current members are Solidfro and myself, each contributing 274 points. I wonder if all of the PS3 work units are going to be this huge. My PC's first unit was 5k frames, and the current is 50k frames. My PS3 work units have been 400k and 399,999.

I've been on for several hours, now. Why didn't you notice me? I'm signed up with team 55702. I also notice on my friend list that Pako, Axl Rose (Ozzy), ALPHA and SolidFro all are on right now. Are these other members of 55702, or do we need to get the word out to them? OK, I see SolidFro is a member. 👍

I've been on for several hours, now. Why didn't you notice me? I'm signed up with team 55702. I also notice on my friend list that Pako, Axl Rose (Ozzy), ALPHA and SolidFro all are on right now. Are these other members of 55702, or do we need to get the word out to them? OK, I see SolidFro is a member. 👍

I was going by the list of contributing members. You only get added to the list once you've finished a work unit.

Attention: Somebody is using the identity "PS3" (the default identity) Check your identity so you can change it to your name or username.

2 Units completed by myself, third one will be done in around four hours if I don't need the PS3 before then. It looks like they are all around 400k frames.

It's disgusting how slow the PC's are running this program. The program is also only using about 25% of my CPU even though I told it to use 100%. The PS3 is cranking them out much, much faster than any of my computers. This includes a Dual Processor G4, Dual Core intel, and a Dual Core AMD. I guess the Eight Core PS3 proves to be the superior product in the task all the way around.

So do we only get points when a WU is completed?

Just downloaded the program and my first WU completion is estimated to be sometime in July... :crazy:

Oh well, I suppose better late (slow) than never.

Just downloaded the program and my first WU completion is estimated to be sometime in July... :crazy:

You got a slow PC. lol

My second WU TODAY on the PS3 will be done in about three hours.

It's a laptop, maybe that's why. Toshiba Satellite something or other, runs an Intel Core Duo T2050 @ 1.60 GHZ (whatever that is. the processor, not the term gigahertz)

In good news though, I'll have my first frame of 5000 done in...20 minutes. XD I guess that shows the power of the PS3 compared to computers?

That is on the PC or the PS3? Core Duos shouldn't be that slow. My mom's 1.2Ghz Duron (very, very old and equally pathetic) will finish 5000 frames in about a week.

So my name doesnt show up on the list of team members, is that because I'm the one looking at it?

Have you completed a work unit? If you have, it just hasn't updated on the site yet, if you haven't, your name won't show up until you have.

Back