Folding@home GTP Team is #55702 (PS3 and PC) - Team is once again ranked #700!

• Thread starter Eric.
  • 389 comments
^ Haha.

I tried running it on my laptop, but it's slow enough as it is, so I need all system performance as I can. It was folding horribly slow anyway, so I don't think it's worth the sacrifice. :P

Check out our current team ranking:

5987 of 55620

All things considered, I think that's pretty good.

👍 Already nearly in the top 10% with just over 100 units completed... and from such a small group!

Kudos to the PlayStation.com Forum Team as well, which just broke into the top 1% with over 3,000 units completed and a group score of just over 1 million points. 👍👍

Maybe you can ask Jordan to sticky an announcement on this GTP F@H team in the PS3 thread to get more people to join?

But isn't he worried about the power bill he may get through.

Yeah, when I'm at work or sleeping I've been leaving it on.... Not to worried about $2/mo. spent on the PS3. I'm sure I'll shut it down soon, but what the heck, if I don't have time to play it, I might as well contribute something back to the world.

It's only running at about 200 watts per hour. The national average cost of 1 kWh is about a dime - so running F@H on a PS3 for one hour would cost about two pennies. :)

Seems pretty cheap for all the good it does! 👍

Electricity costs do vary from region to region, as well as when you are using it, and how much you have used cumulatively in one month. California, and the North East have some of the highest energy costs.

However, at only 200 watts per hour, we are talking about a very small amount of energy. At worst it might cost you about a $1 a day running F@H non-stop, at best, maybe as little as a quarter... or free for those who have added solar panels to their roofs.

BTW:

(Might make for a nice desktop) :)

:cheers:

I'd like to do this, but the linux client downloads a .exe file, i'll look some more into it.
Edit: Never mind, I think I set it up right, completed 0 of 5000000 steps :P
From,
Chris.

We're already in the top 10%! Damn, that was fast! We rule!

I left my PS3 on, after I said I would turn it off. It wasn't even warm. So, why shut it off?

We're already in the top 10%! Damn, that was fast! We rule!
Or more specifically, it shows just how powerful the PS3's processor is compared to the 1.9+ million PC's that have folded so far!

I'm still shocked really on the fact that despite having only about 25,000 active PS3's, and about 50,000 PS3's do some folding at some point during the last week, they have managed to complete 344 TFLOPs, compared to only about 200 TFLOPs by all the 1.9 million PC's combined over the last five years. Frankly, I'm convinced I'm not reading that right, as that just seems crazy to me.

Even if you only look at active PS3's and active PC's, the PS3's processing power is immense by comparison.

I left my PS3 on, after I said I would turn it off. It wasn't even warm. So, why shut it off?
The PS3's cooling system is truly impressive! 👍

I agree VERY much with the cooling. The only part that gets warm is the air vent on the right side of the unit, where I suppose the CPU is as the buzzing of it working comes from there. Other than that, the whole unit is hardly warm! It's heating the air in my room instead. :lol:

Hey, do I have to get a work unit done to go on the GTP leaderboards?, if so, see ya in 45 hours :P

From,
Chris.

Just a tip for those that may not already be aware. When folding, you may want to turn off your controller so that you are not having to always recharge it. To do that, hold down the PS button until a window pops up. The last choice is to turn off the controller. When you want to stop folding, press the PS button on the controller and it will turn back on and comunicate with your PS3.

^ I know, I just leave mine off all the time till its time to play anyway. i]Ill be cheking in on it when I come home friday afternoon. Is there a way to chak team stats off the PS3?

^ I know, I just leave mine off all the time till its time to play anyway. i]Ill be cheking in on it when I come home friday afternoon. Is there a way to chak team stats off the PS3?

From a computer you can check the link in Solid's signature. You can also check your stats and team stats from the PS3 which consequently access the same website page.

Yes, like Pako said, you can use the web browser in the PS3 to access all F@H stats, including your team(s), and individual stats.

The PS3 F@H program allows you to do this will still folding. Just press the Triangle button, select "Information", and the stats you are interested in. It will then open that web page.

You can navigate the web pages with the joysticks and D-pad buttons, and you can even zoom in on the page using the R3 button.

The X button acts like a mouse click.

The L1 & R1 buttons allow you to go back or forward through web pages you have loaded.

The triangle button will also pop-up additional web browsing settings and options.

Hmmm...
Code:
7  D-Nitrate  2948  10  
8  OZZY       2646   9
If I'm a traitor how come I'm ahead of you already when I offered to start folding for you guys as well, a full day or more after you did.

;)

He does have a point Ozzy.

OK Just joined , I bought a PS3 but havn't tried on that yet , currently my laptop is running it , I got a 20000 WU ..... I have one problem is that when I click display or full screen I get a black window, how can I tell the estimated time when it finishes and is there anything that appaers in the window?

OK Just joined , I bought a PS3 but havn't tried on that yet , currently my laptop is running it , I got a 20000 WU ..... I have one problem is that when I click display or full screen I get a black window, how can I tell the estimated time when it finishes and is there anything that appaers in the window?

Try this with your PS3. Press the Select button several times for different displays. One cool one is a closeup shot of the protein. You can then use the two joysticks, right to zoom in, and left to rotate the protein. Then, press the Start button to stop the "animation" to freeze the protein in place, and you can then rotate and zoom in on it to get a closer look of it.

Also, press the triangle button for options. I like to use "stick and ball" for the protein model. You'll also find a lot other options there.

It may just be taking a little bit to load up the animation and such. Integrated cards don't like it too much. There is a no-nonsense console style client though.

Okay, you are win.

But my name's not on the pretty website :(

You gotta have a work unit completed, and wait for it to appear about 20 minutes after the hour. They update the stats every 10 minutes after the hour, and it takes 10 minutes to update.

Oh right...I do have a work unit finished now...just waiting for it to be updated then?

I like the pretty website. :)

Back