Folding@home GTP Team is #55702 (PS3 and PC) - Team is once again ranked #700!

• Thread starter Eric.
  • 389 comments
None. I think I've discovered a flaw in the WU counting function. I'm not going to mention it because I'm sure everyone is going to inflate their ratings with it.

Is there any chance that you did some anonymous folding?

Somebody left their name (or several people, possibly) as PS3 and has racked up 7 WUs.

so who is PZF? is that you GT?
Yes.

Ebiggs
s there any chance that you did some anonymous folding?

Somebody left their name (or several people, possibly) as PS3 and has racked up 7 WUs.
It's not just him now. I was at 39 units complete yesterday just before I went to bed. This morning, it was still 39 on the PS3, and 40 on the website. I had definitely completed another unit, as it was only 8% into the next one - was about 30% last night. The computer hasn't even finished its first one yet either...

Things are really screwed up now. I had my PS3 on for the past 30 hours, and not one folded protein got uploaded to Folding@Home. Why do I leave my PS3 on for so long if it wont upload completed work?

With all that has been going wrong, I wont fold anymore proteins until a new version or software update. They've screwed things up, if you ask me. Notice our TFLOPS rating took a huge dive, too?

I had a problem once with my router, it stayed at 100% waiting to upload until I fixed the issue. All is well now. I haven't seen any uploads not registering as evident by my Work Units. Verify your Team number and name...., other than that I don't know.

Things are really screwed up now. I had my PS3 on for the past 30 hours, and not one folded protein got uploaded to Folding@Home. Why do I leave my PS3 on for so long if it wont upload completed work?
Sounds like an internet issue, not a software issue, otherwise we all would be experiencing it, and I know I have not. I'd also look into what Pako suggested. That might help.

Notice our TFLOPS rating took a huge dive, too?
That's because the number of active PS3's took an equal dive from ~28k to ~18k. As a ratio of current TFLOPs to active PS3's, nothing has changed.

Yeah I had a similar problem last night but I realized the internet had hiccuped which causes F@H to wait a while before trying again.

What slightly annoys me is even though there's an option to start the folding when the PS3 has been idle for 10/20/30 minutes, it won't actually start folding unless I leave my TV on. Instead, it just hangs on the folding loading screen. If I'm there, I have to wait until it's completely loaded before I turn the screen off, otherwise it gets stuck again. I've made that mistake once or twice...

thats interesting, I didn't realize that it could tell when the tv is off. Are you using HDMI? BTW I'm going to be catching you soon GT

thats interesting, I didn't realize that it could tell when the tv is off. Are you using HDMI? BTW I'm going to be catching you soon GT

I think the TV-on thing must be related to the PS3 or F@H checking what resolution it is supposed to run at. I left it on one night only to see the loading screen the next morning. :ouch:

Edit: Land sea air, I am using HDMI.

Since you are using HDMI that makes sense because I'm pretty sure component and composite have any way to tell if the TV is on or off, I'll have to turn the waiting thing on, then see if it works with the TV off since I'm using component

You know? The same thing is happening to me now. My work unit will not upload. It's been stuck at 0% for the past hour. Just now, I tried resetting the router, and turning off the PS3, but it's exactly the same.

I'll leave it on overnight to see what happens...

Since you are using HDMI that makes sense because I'm pretty sure component and composite have any way to tell if the TV is on or off, I'll have to turn the waiting thing on, then see if it works with the TV off since I'm using component

You don't need to wait for it to do that. Just highlight the Folding@home program, turn off the TV, and press X.

I know for a fact it will start if the tv is off just by the normal method, I just want to see if it will auto start with the tv off since I am using component

The unit has uploaded now... How odd. It took forever. Maybe it was just a problem their end.

Is there any particular reason why there isn't an Xbox 360 version? I know it hasn't the raw oomph of the PS3's CPU, but surely the more the merrier when it comes to having CPUs contribute to the project? My Xbox360 could add more raw CPU power than my PC has, especially if left to run in the background on it's own.

KM.

Is there any particular reason why there isn't an Xbox 360 version? I know it hasn't the raw oomph of the PS3's CPU, but surely the more the merrier when it comes to having CPUs contribute to the project? My Xbox360 could add more raw CPU power than my PC has, especially if left to run in the background on it's own.

KM.

I was wondering the same thing myself, it's not like this is something that Sony could work with Standford to get an exclusive or anything.

With the amount of 360s out there it'll probably, in general, surpass the TFlops of the PS3s running currently. I'm not sure if I could leave both on, due to electricity bills, but it would be a good idea...

Finally passed the 20k point mark. Yeah! And it only cost me $87 in electricity.... :)

I have problems. With my random disconnections, I've done more units than it says on the website. I don't think it registers the unit if you've disconnected.

I think my problem is fixed. I could finally download my worked unit. I've got a new unit to work on, now. But, I'm holding off doing it since I've been playing a lot of GOW.

I'm not sure if the other "problem" was fixed. I guess I should go try it to see if it still exists.

I think my problem is fixed.
👍

I'm not sure if the other "problem" was fixed. I guess I should go try it to see if it still exists.

They've screwed things up, if you ask me. Notice our TFLOPS rating took a huge dive, too?
That's because the number of active PS3's took an equal dive from ~28k to ~18k. As a ratio of current TFLOPs to active PS3's, nothing has changed.
Active PS3's folding is now above 30k and the TFLOPs for active PS3's have nearly doubled, this should confirm that there is no problem with the PS3 TFLOP ratings. 👍

Heres a forum link with a bunch of folders who can solve just bout any folding question

Team 32
Team 32 is seriously cranking out the WU's! They already have completed more than 3.5 million units worth over 300 million points! :eek:

Several members have over 1,000 units completed per processor. 👍

The PS forums team (55265) is moving fast though. They just broke the top 200 with nearly 15,000 units completed. Not bad for a team that's less than a month old!

I'm sure if more people were made aware that a GTP folding team exists, we could get a lot more people folding here.

Active PS3's folding is now above 30k and the TFLOPs for active PS3's have nearly doubled, this should confirm that there is no problem with the PS3 TFLOP ratings. 👍
The figures have now increased as they've risen the active CPU limit for PS3s from 2 days to 5 days. I guess it makes sense, as it'll be hard for many people to leave their PS3s on at least 4 hours or so a day to keep within the limit.

G.T
The figures have now increased as they've risen the active CPU limit for PS3s from 2 days to 5 days. I guess it makes sense, as it'll be hard for many people to leave their PS3s on at least 4 hours or so a day to keep within the limit.

I also think many people had a problem with uploading completed work, which is why it dropped off. Not sure if all have come back to doing more units. I haven't, yet.

Hey there! I've not been as active around here as I used to be, but I do check back from time to time. Thats when I noticed this thread, because I downloaded the folding@home thing when I first got my ps3.
I've only done one unit so far, but I've got my E6700, and my ps3 working on it right now. I'm going to leave them on all night and all tomorrow, whilst I'm in work. Such a great idea!

I started running it and it estimates that it'll take just under 2 days for my computer to finish one work unit with 750 frames. Unfortunately my computer takes way too much power and is too loud to leave on all the time, so it'll be limited to about 10-12 hours a day. I might start running it on my 700MHz laptop though, that only draws about 60 watts with the screen off.

Is there a PS2 or Wii version of this by any chance?

EDIT: It just updated down to a day for this WU. How low does it get?

I find the time fluctuates depending on what you're using on the PC at the time. If you leave it overnight with nothing else running, that's when you get optimum processing for the unit. I shouldn't think it'll get much less than a day, but I've never had a unit with only 750 frames before, so I'm not 100% sure.

And no, there isn't any for the Wii or PS2.

Back