Folding@home GTP Team is #55702 (PS3 and PC) - Team is once again ranked #700!

• Thread starter Eric.
  • 389 comments
I find the time fluctuates depending on what you're using on the PC at the time. If you leave it overnight with nothing else running, that's when you get optimum processing for the unit. I shouldn't think it'll get much less than a day, but I've never had a unit with only 750 frames before, so I'm not 100% sure.

F@H is set for lowest CPU priority, so the less your working your CPU the more F@H can use. Are you using the GUI version or the console version?

Another lil hint for increasing you PPD is to also run the GPU Client and make use of all those wasted cycles on your video card.

And as far as stats go this is the best place to check em ExtremeOverclocking

KenKutaragi_FH_070423.jpg

Code:
Donator Rank:      7,015 of 692,731  [i](top 1%)[/i]
Work Units:          685
Active Processors:    15 [i](within 7 days)[/i]
Who is this guy, and how did he get so many PS3's running F@H?

;)

Pako, do you use the GPU client for the folding on your main PC? If I remember correctly, you can't run dual cards with it (yet), but are you using it on a single card (if possible)? The 1900 is a good card to use it.

G.T
Pako, do you use the GPU client for the folding on your main PC? If I remember correctly, you can't run dual cards with it (yet), but are you using it on a single card (if possible)? The 1900 is a good card to use it.

Not yet, just the CPU clients only. At the time, the GPU client was still beta and I was having error issues anyways...

Can anyone explain to me how I managed 23 work units? Perhaps it was when I tried the GPU client? It didn't seem to be working but it's possible that it was actually ripping through them.

A new version has been released for the PS3 - v1.1. The improvements are...

Source - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=24537

Exhibiting its continued commitment to the program, SCE also announced that starting tomorrow, it is providing a Folding@home application update that will further enhance the user experience. The updated software features an improvement in folding calculation speeds, increased visibility of user location (*1) on the globe and the ability for users to create longer donor or team names.

PS3 users can download the new update version 1.1 by restarting the Folding@home application. New Folding@home users can join the program by simply clicking on the Folding@home icon within the Network menu of the XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) or can optionally set the application to run automatically whenever the PS3 is idle (*3).

Starting with Folding@home, SCE will continue to support distributed computing projects in a wide variety of academic fields such as medical and social sciences and environmental studies through the use of PS3 and hopes to contribute to the advancement of science.

(*1) User location by IP address.

(*2) Based on Stanford University’s Folding@home internal data, collected at the end of April.

(*3) To run the application automatically in idle state, PS3 must be connected to the network with both the main power switch and power button turned on. Option setting must also be changed as this automatic feature is off at default.

well looks like I will be kissing 4th place goodbye by the end of the weekend... I'm going to Ocean City MD tonight from work and I haven't been able to get that update to download because the internet has been wobbly all week at my house. so a prime long term folding opportunity has been lost

Can anyone explain to me how I managed 23 work units? Perhaps it was when I tried the GPU client? It didn't seem to be working but it's possible that it was actually ripping through them.

My cousin and I are also confused with how you have so many WUs but fewer points than those with one WU. I'm pretty sure the GPU client would be giving you more points than that, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Pako, did any of your systems die or something? You were building a pretty steady lead on me.
Edit2: Next WU decides who keeps first place it seems.

Just thought you guys might want to see this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6594907.stm

PS3 boosts protein research plan

The program simulates how proteins assume their shape
Attempts to understand diseases such as Alzheimers have got a boost from Sony's PlayStation 3 console.
More than 250,000 PS3 owners have enrolled their console in the Folding@Home project which uses it to study the shapes proteins assume.

So many have signed up that the project has carried out a year's worth of research in a month.

Proteins that do not fold correctly have been implicated in diseases such as Alzheimers and BSE.

Speedy science

The Folding@Home (F@H) project uses idle machines, be they PCs or game consoles, to simulate how proteins, the building blocks of life, assume the forms that play key roles in living tissue.

A better understanding of these folded forms could help tackle disease or help manipulate or mimic these vital structures.

The project, like many others, tries to solve hugely complicated problems by splitting them up into thousands of much smaller tasks.

By harnessing thousands of idle machines to do hundreds of thousands of these smaller tasks it becomes possible to do analysis that would take years to complete on a single supercomputer.

"Thanks to PS3, we have performed simulations in the first few weeks that would normally take us more than a year to calculate," said Vijay Pande, Associate Professor of Chemistry at Stanford University and leader of the Folding@Home project.

Sony signed up to F@H in March and those that have downloaded the program have, at their busiest, racked up a total computing power of more than 700 teraflops. The average computational power delivered by these users is about 400 teraflops.

By comparison BlueGene L, which tops the list of most powerful supercomputers, has a top speed of 280.6 teraflops.

Sony said an update to the F@H PS3 program would boost speeds and make it easier to see who else was participating.

My cousin and I are also confused with how you have so many WUs but fewer points than those with one WU. I'm pretty sure the GPU client would be giving you more points than that, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Pako, did any of your systems die or something? You were building a pretty steady lead on me.
Edit2: Next WU decides who keeps first place it seems.

Yeah, I just discovered that, although the PS3 was on, it wasn't folding. So for a week the PS3 was just sitting there, too busy to play, too busy to fold. Finally got it folding again but my internet connection has been down since Friday morning at home.... :grumpy:

well at the last minute before leaving for the beach Friday the update downloaded and I was able to let mine fold from Friday evening until Monday morning

Ever since Linksys got off their backsides and replaced our wireless network adapter (it took 3 weeks!), I now have 2 computers and a PS3 folding. :)

mine ran for 3 days straight folding, not a single problem and the thing wasn't any hotter than normal

Yeah, heating isn't an issue. Dust, now that's a different issue.

Exactly how much dust is getting inside, is the big question that needs to be answered. Dust was a big issue with the PS2. I had constant DREs because of it. I don't want that for my PS3. So, I've been taking it easy since the PS3 attacks so much dust during operation.

I'm running mine now with the new update I just got. I don't notice anything different. Any new features?

Yeah, heating isn't an issue. Dust, now that's a different issue.

Exactly how much dust is getting inside, is the big question that needs to be answered. Dust was a big issue with the PS2. I had constant DREs because of it. I don't want that for my PS3. So, I've been taking it easy since the PS3 attacks so much dust during operation.
Fingers crossed, the extended 3 years warranty i took out on it yesterday will be long enough to cover issues like this. I should hope so, because if the PS3 is going to have problems running 24/7, it would be within 3 years... Otherwise Sony pulled off a miracle.

mine ran for 3 days straight folding, not a single problem and the thing wasn't any hotter than normal

I had mine running for three weeks straight without any issues.

Granted, I wasn't folding the whole time, I had some movies and game play mixed in for fun.

I had mine running for three weeks straight without any issues.

Granted, I wasn't folding the whole time, I had some movies and game play mixed in for fun.

Same here. It runs just about all the time here, with the majority of the time being F@H while sleeping, at school, work, etc. I can't wait for winter. My room used to be the coldest in the house. :)

well if sony really did build the ps3 more like a PC than a gaming console then leaving it on for extended periods shouldn't be a problem.

well if sony really did build the ps3 more like a PC than a gaming console then leaving it on for extended periods shouldn't be a problem.
Why? Leaving a PC running at 100% capacity for long periods is theoretically no more likely to cause problems than running a PS3 or Xbox 360 will doing the same thing. The big questions are how hot does the CPU run, what kind of heatsink/fan does it have, how is the airflow in the machine, etc. etc.

I suspect that the reasons that Xbox's and PS3's might overheat and malfunction are a product of a very fast CPU crammed into a tight location (i.e., not the same kind of ATX tower case that a Core 2 Duo has room to breath in), with maybe a smallish heatsink and poor airflow in the machine. Cramming your games console into a tight location when it already has temperature issues can only make things worse and will deny your PS3 or Xbox the breathing room it needs to function properly. I don't think it's an issue of Xbox 360's or PS3's being designed "more like a PC", more like a case of them being designed like a games console and not taking into account typical conditions in certain households.

KM.

I was talking more about the fact that a PC is more likely to be running pretty much all the time attracting dust, not necessarily runniny at 100%. I should have been more clear on that.

Back