Folding@home GTP Team is #55702 (PS3 and PC) - Team is once again ranked #700!

• Thread starter Eric.
  • 389 comments
I started a work unit on Monday and it said it would finish this Saturday. The computer I'm using at work is a Pentium 4 2.8ghz so I didn't think it would be too quick what with all the work software running aswell. My computer is never turned off so I can let it chug away. 24hrs.

Are all the work units the same size or do they send them out in different sizes?
I have a PC with the same processor speed runnig all the time.

That time sounds about right, if not less with some of the work units they send me. Most of them only have 5000 folds. But ocassionally you gets ones with 4000, 500 or just 100.

cert.php

Congrats!

Duċk;2747917
Folding@home 1.2 is now available.

PR
Sony Computer Entertainment America Announces New Features and Enhancements for PlayStation 3 Folding@Home Application

PS3 Users Continue to Help Stanford University Further Medical Research

Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. (SCEA) today announced a Folding@home application update (v1.2) for PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) users, further demonstrating the company's continued commitment to the Stanford University distributed computing project. This latest update provides PS3 users with added functionalities and features, including support for Remote Play for PSP(PlayStation Portable), added protein simulations and visuals, as well as a screensaver mode which enables PS3 to consume slightly less power and increases the performance of protein-folding simulations.

User participation by the PS3 community continues to be very strong-in just five months more than 536,000 PS3 users worldwide have downloaded the Folding@home application. PS3 users have delivered up to 600 teraflops, making the Folding@home program one of the fastest distributed computing networks in the world. Thanks in part to the ultra-fast processing power found in PS3, the Folding@home project is closer to its goal of achieving a petaflop, an important milestone.

Updated features and functionalities that are part of this latest application update (v 1.2) include:

Support for Remote Play for PSP -- Now Folding@home can be remotely operated through PSP utilizing the Remote Play feature of the PS3 system. With this feature, PS3 users are able to view on their PSP the exact same Folding@home information that is viewable on their PS3, complete with the map of the world and the protein that their particular system is simulating.

More Support for Additional Protein Simulations -- Additional computation cores are now supported allowing Folding@home for PS3 to support a wider range of protein-folding simulations which further enhances the science needed to be performed to research diseases such as Alzheimer's disease.

Screensaver Mode -- A screensaver mode can now be activated via the Settings menu in the Folding@home application, allowing PS3 users to consume slightly less power and to increase performance of protein- folding simulations.

Link to Project Description -- A link has been added to the Information menu in the Folding@home application allowing users to quickly obtain additional information about the specific research project they are currently contributing to.

Protein Visualization Enhancements -- All visualization modes have been enhanced with improved shading, highlighting and focus effects, including: "Tapioca" displays the protein as a smooth surface with improved shading and depth; "Caviar" displays the protein as a smooth surface with defined edges; "Licorice" displays only the protein's bonds and "Backbone" which emphasizes specific sections of the protein that are of the most scientific interest to researchers.

Advanced Participation Mode -- Advanced participation mode allows Stanford University to send simulations of varying computational lengths to PS3 users. Because the simulations in this mode can take significantly longer, Advanced Mode is only recommended for contributors who run Folding@home for at least eight hours per day.

"We take a lot of pride in the fact that more than half a million PS3 users worldwide have dedicated a portion of their machine's capabilities towards helping Stanford University and their Folding@home team research many of the diseases that inflict our society today," said Jack Tretton, President and CEO of SCEA. "It is one thing for us to provide the technology to make this possible; it is quite another to have gamers from all over the world proactively sign up for this program to make a difference in our global community. We couldn't be more pleased with the results we have seen to date in this collaborative effort."

Folding@home is a distributed computing project aimed at understanding protein folding, misfolding and related diseases. Because the process of folding proteins is so complex, groups of computers are used to perform simulations to study the process. Thanks to PS3's Cell Broadband Engine (Cell/B.E.), researchers are now able to tabulate the simulations much faster, speeding up the research process.

PS3 users can download the updated version of the application (v1.2) by simply restarting the Folding@home application. New Folding@home users can join the program by simply clicking on the Folding@home icon within the Network menu of the XMB (XrossMediaBar) or can optionally set the application to run automatically whenever the PS3 is idle.
Thanks for the update Duck. 👍

*snip*

Congrats!
Thanks. :)

My PS3 isn't disconnecting from the network anymore during the night or when I'm not keeping an eye on it during the day, so it's now folding all the time, rather than spending hours at a time saying "lost network connection". :ouch:

And on the subject with the update, I don't like the visual changes they have made. Yes, it looks better, but everything isn't near as smooth as it was. Scrolling around the globe you can see the slower framerate, and zooming out on some of the protein visuals the framerate is almost ridiculous. Well, I can't complain really, as I never really watch it!

Must try the new features though...

G.T
My PS3 isn't disconnecting from the network anymore during the night or when I'm not keeping an eye on it during the day, so it's now folding all the time, rather than spending hours at a time saying "lost network connection". :ouch:
Linksys router?

I am curious about this Advanced Participation Mode. Since the units are varying lengths, aka larger, does that mean that I will get points equal to the unit size or the same number of points per unit? My system is folding at least from when I go to bed until I come home from work, so I would have the load time to do it.

Guess I will just have to test it tonight.

Same here. My first "advanced" work unit will download very soon - will let you know what it does...

Yes, Linksys router. Odd thing is I've not dared to touch it anymore (software-wise) since it stopped signing in and out of the PSN network a few months ago. The random disconnections for the F@H only started a couple of weeks ago, and stopped a few days ago. I have no 'friggen clue why it started to play up and and fix itself.

G.T
Same here. My first "advanced" work unit will download very soon - will let you know what it does...

Yes, Linksys router. Odd thing is I've not dared to touch it anymore (software-wise) since it stopped signing in and out of the PSN network a few months ago. The random disconnections for the F@H only started a couple of weeks ago, and stopped a few days ago. I have no 'friggen clue why it started to play up and and fix itself.
Did you disable the DLNA on the router settings? Its some sort of incompatibility thing with Linksys and PS3 and until one of them does a firmware upgrade to fix it that has to be off.

I read about that a while back, and couldn't and still can't find the setting. After a PS3 Firmware update it just fixed itself, so I presume all is ok...

G.T
I read about that a while back, and couldn't and still can't find the setting. After a PS3 Firmware update it just fixed itself, so I presume all is ok...

Yeah it took some hunting on my part through the router settings, but I finally found it. Then went back and couldn't find it and then found it again later. It's a sneaky bugger.

If the firmware update has it fixed I need to turn it on because I was reading where without the DLNA headset usage would be limited.

I just downloaded the new software update, and all my info was wiped clean. My name, my team (55702 GTPlanet) my score 17,000+ and my unit count 58.

I hope that will all come back once I download my new work unit?

I just downloaded the new software update, and all my info was wiped clean. My name, my team (55702 GTPlanet) my score 17,000+ and my unit count 58.

I hope that will all come back once I download my new work unit?
Very odd. None of that happened to me...

You're still on the website though:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=55702

Edit: An update on these "advanced" work units. They do seem to take a little longer, but they do give you a few more points (340 compared to the 287 you receive from my most commonly used work unit). It has 750,000 folds instead of the usual 500,000/400,000.

G.T
Very odd. None of that happened to me...
Nor me, although I did worry when I went to clean out the dishwasher and left the PS3 sitting and looked up to see what appeared to be the Folding@Home startup logo just sitting. I thought the update had frozen up my system, and then the logo moved. That was when I realized it was the screensaver.

Edit: An update on these "advanced" work units. They do seem to take a little longer, but they do give you a few more points (340 compared to the 287 you receive from my most commonly used work unit). It has 750,000 folds instead of the usual 500,000/400,000.
Well, now that we have the ability to look into the details of our current project we can track these better. I was finishing up my last standard work unit and didn't check to see what my advanced one would be this morning, but as they mentioned they would vary in size I can only assume that some may be worth even more points.

sorry for the double post, I noticed today that for the first time my stats on the team page match my stats on the main screen... I didn't think this would be possible since I completed one WU before joining 55702 and IIRC only WUs you do while on the team count. So how could I have 253 WUs on both my main page (where the folding is happening) and the web based team page? Am I missing something here?

I've noticed that the PS3 isn't getting as hot now. I'd guess that the RSX was making all of the heat from generating the visuals, since I'm running the screensaver (also in Advanced Mode).

Looks like we'll be in the top 900 in about a day. Currently sitting at 902, and we were at 904 yesterday I think.

:cheers:

Looks like we'll be in the top 900 in about a day. Currently sitting at 902, and we were at 904 yesterday I think.

:cheers:

My work computer has one finishing in about an hour and my compy at home should be finishing one this evening.

So I downloaded the software and went thru the menu of questions. Now what?
PC or PS3? PS3 you can set it to run as a screensaver or turn it on whenever you want.

On the PC I would assume it runs much plike SETI@Home and you can have it run in the background or as a screensaver.

PC or PS3? PS3 you can set it to run as a screensaver or turn it on whenever you want.

On the PC I would assume it runs much plike SETI@Home and you can have it run in the background or as a screensaver.

For PC it is best to run it in the background as console. The screensaver uses too much processing power.

You'll also need console to use a dual-core effectively.

I think they're doing maintenance now but there wasn't a mesage up yesterday or earlier on today...

A digging crew cut a cable on the Stanford campus yesterday. Most IT was down for a few hours. Now they are updating the stats. It should be back up soon.

Back