Folding@home GTP Team is #55702 (PS3 and PC) - Team is once again ranked #700!

• Thread starter Eric.
  • 389 comments
Sorry to dig up an old thread - but it is for a good cause. My pc (Q6600) is working on a supervillin protein with 5000 frames, but each frame is taking around 20mins. By the looks of things, that is very slow. Any idea how to boost it up a bit? joined the team as
A7X btw.

A7X

That may just be a difficult work unit. I have only been running F@H in consoles for the last few months, so I'm not certain how long my frames tend to take. I'd check to see that you have the processor use set to 100% (or however high you do want it).

And this isn't an old thread. People just don't use it enough! I'd like to have it stickied, really.

After leaving it to run on it's own it started to sort itself out and dropped to around 18 seconds. Much slower than a PS3 though. Thiose cell chips must be unreal!

A7X

My new PC does a fold in around 20 seconds now (seem 19 a few times), compared to the 48 seconds or so from my old computer. I just have an issue with F@H not working every time I reboot the computer, so I have to install it again...

Guinness World's Records makes it official: Folding@Home is the "Most Powerful Computing Network"

Joystiq Report

Original Story

TOKYO, Oct. 31 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI)
today announced that PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(R)) computer entertainment
systems, part of Stanford University's Folding@home(TM) program, have
enabled the distributed computing project to be recognized by Guinness
World Records(TM) as the most powerful distributed computing network in the
world. The record was initially set on September 16, 2007 as Folding@home
surpassed one petaflop(*1), a computing milestone that has never been
reached before by a distributed computing network. In addition to this, the
collective efforts of our users have enabled PS3 alone to reach the
petaflop mark on September 23, 2007.

What in the world is a petaflop?
The ability to do one quadrillion floating point operations every second.... in otherwords... an unbelievable amount of computational power! :eek:

Petaflop:

Network Dictionary
A petaflop is a theoretical measure of a computer's speed and can be expressed as: A thousand trillion floating point operations per second; A thousand teraflop; 10 to the 15th power floating point operations per second; 2 to the 50th power FLOPS. Today's fastest parallel computing operations are capable of teraflop speeds. A petaflop is the ability of a computer to do one quadrillion floating point operations per second (FLOPS.) A petaflop computer would require a massive number of computers working in parallel on the same problem. Applications might include real-time nuclear magnetic resonance imaging during surgery or even astrophysical simulation.

Computing devices exhibit an enormous range of performance levels in floating-point applications, so it makes sense to introduce larger units than the FLOPS. The standard SI prefixes can be used for this purpose, resulting in such units as the megaFLOPS (MFLOPS, 106 FLOPS), the gigaFLOPS (GFLOPS, 109 FLOPS), the teraFLOPS (TFLOPS, 1012 FLOPS), and the petaFLOPS (PFLOPS, 1015 FLOPS).

A little something I noticed with the PS3 F@H just this moment. The visuals are much smoother than they used to be after I had upgraded to v1.2 - one particular example was scrolling around the Earth wasn't smooth anymore. It is now. I don't recall another update being asked to be made (still v1.2).

Plus, we broke the 1,000,000 point barrier a couple of weeks ago. Keep up the good work!

tcert.php

Not that, but it froze more than once already. Not really froze, more like it didn't respond to commands when trying to open the menu to exit.

And why am I getting lots of 10hrs+ work units lately? I only get an 8hr one every once in a while...

has anyone had trouble with folding locking up upon trying to view team stats and then having to reset the console?
Could be connecetd to the freezing during Internet Browsing glitches created in firmware 2.00, as it uses the browser to pull up stats and whatnot.

And why am I getting lots of 10hrs+ work units lately? I only get an 8hr one every once in a while...
Do you have it set to Advanced Mode or Standard Mode? With Standard Mode you just get one medium size work unit and that is it. With Advanced Mode you can get varying sizes, some large, some small, whatever. That is why Advanced Mode is only suggested for people who leave Folding running for 8+ hours.

well it seems we are getting an early Christmas present from F@H in the form of a new update, we can now have music playing during the fold, or we can have it shut down after a certain amount of time:tup:

I having problems with it. It keeps crashing on me. I turn off the controller power, and when I turn it back on some time later, the PS3 freezes and crashes. I shut it down, and when I do, the current fold is lost. Pissed me off just now, when I lost a 80% fold.

It's done this at least five or six times in the last week or two. Any of you having this problem?

Funny thing is, out of 100 folds, about 10% have "crashed" on me.

I having problems with it. It keeps crashing on me. I turn off the controller power, and when I turn it back on some time later, the PS3 freezes and crashes. I shut it down, and when I do, the current fold is lost. Pissed me off just now, when I lost a 80% fold.

It's done this at least five or six times in the last week or two. Any of you having this problem?

Funny thing is, out of 100 folds, about 10% have "crashed" on me.

I was still having a problem before this update with it freezing half the time when I go into any of the web pages but I haven't had any trouble since the update :scared:

Not that, but it froze more than once already. Not really froze, more like it didn't respond to commands when trying to open the menu to exit.

Yeah, that has happened to me as well. Press the PS button and choose Quit. It'll attempt to quit but will usually reboot automatically.

Well, I'm Sending this from my PS3, which is now running F@H. My username is WallRunner, if you want to add me on the PSN my ID is WallRunner51

From,
Chris

Add my PSN cause I have no friends, F@H is downloading, Does this only work when its idle?
Yeah, you can't run it in the background. I have mine setup to start automatically after my system has been idel for five minutes, so if I have to leave quickly and forget to start it I come home to find it running.

Haha allright, how do I make it do that? i cannot find where i make it switch to it after idel for X
If I recall correctly, press triangle on the F@H logo on the XMB just before you start it up, and there are options to choose how many minutes you want it to auto-start when the system is idle. Unless they've moved it.

I don't think there are custom amount of minutes you can set. Mine just says 10, 20 or 30 after checking just now.

You mean like after you set it for, say, 5 minutes? Put down the controller and walk away for 5 minutes.

It'd be a good idea to turn the controller off though if its just gonna sit around and fold. Save the battery life.

It'd be a good idea to turn the controller off though if its just gonna sit around and fold. Save the battery life.
Well, unless I plan to be back in just a couple of minutes I always just plug it back into the USB cable when I'm not using it.

ok, now how do I join a team? lmao
It has been a while, so I may be wrong.

When Folding is running press triangle and there should be a Team option in the menu that pops up. I believe there is a Join Team option and then you can enter the team number: 55702.

Back