Folding@home GTP Team is #55702 (PS3 and PC) - Team is once again ranked #700!

• Thread starter Eric.
  • 389 comments
tcert.php

Another achievement for Team GTPlanet.net, folks.

Awesome. I've got a different system folding away now. I bought my mom a Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1Ghz dual-core) based barebone for Christmas. It isn't a Core 2 Duo by any means (40 seconds or so on Super Pi compared to my C2D 2.4Ghz's 21 sec) but it'll definitely get more folding done than the 1.2Ghz Duron she's currently using. :lol:

Yep, in the PS3 version (which I'm assuming you are, considering your previous posts), press triangle then go to Info (I think) and It has a leaderboard.

Oic, I'm not even listen on the GTP leaderrboard?! lmfao

If you haven't completed a work unit that was begun after joining the team you won't show up. Also make sure you have selected an identity that isn't the default "PS3".

Ok now that I got the TV up and running I can keep Folding going for a while. I've joined the team as well.

has anyone read the folding news lately? looks like there is some sort of major problem with the PS3 client that they are working with SONY to sort out. Some of the people leaving comments on the various posts seem to be so selfish!

and on that note, guess who's back in 4th place :sly:

Does anyone know the difference between the two colored of dots? There appear to be only bright yellow ones in Europe and paler ones everywhere else.

are you sure it isn't the fact that some are in daylight and others are in night time areas?

Could be. They were all bright with the original client. I think they looked better all being bright yellow, the pale yellow just doesn't look very good.

Daytime in that area = Pale & no under map which I'm thinking is every PS3 ever to have used F@H, Nightime in area = bright with undermap.

Also, who else keeps getting 1d 13h WU? this is my third.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

I had a 'work unit' take a day-and-a-half to finish. It scored me 1,500 points! I thought there was something wrong with my PS3, at first.

Cool?

I had a 1,200,000 frame work unit that finished today. I noticed it when I had 23hr remaining on it, so it was probably the same family of units you guys are having. They are normally just 200,000. This was six times larger.

After yet another uploading failure of a completed work unit, I got the new Folding @ Home update.

Now, did my failure result from a new update, or did my update result from yet another failure?

The update is supposed to help with how F@H handles dropped WU, so maybe your problem will be fixed.

Anyway, I've had 4 of those Mega WU's so far, I'm hoping for a few more so I can take top spot on my Clan's F@H team (2nd now, ~5000 points behind a guy with 5 computers but only one running atm.)

From,
Chris.

I finished my first WU yesterday on the PS3 :)
I also installed the program on my laptop just now and changed some options so that the wu's i get don't have a deadline and work assignments are allowed to be bigger than 5MB.

The WU will take almost 21 days to complete if i let the laptop run 24/7.

edit: lol, now it sais the total time estimate is 1day and 16 hours :). Looks like the first frame takes longer than normal. It took 30 minutes to finish it, and now each frame takes up 3 minutes.

Are there still huge work units and time limits to get them back because thats what puts me off...

I would like my PS3 to make a contribution like for 15 mins here and there and still make a difference, I'm not going to leave it on just for the purpose of folding..

Robin

In the long term, won't this severely affect the PS3's lifespan and durability?

Near 100% processing CAN'T be good for any processor, especially for the hours you guys seem to be running them.

In the long term, won't this severely affect the PS3's lifespan and durability?

Near 100% processing CAN'T be good for any processor, especially for the hours you guys seem to be running them.
Why not? The only moving part is the fan and those things run whether you are running the processor or not, just as long as the system is on.

My PC is rarely off for more than a few hours and it is six years old. I've had to ugrade a DVD burner that quit having firmware support, but that is it.

You would be amazed at how little wear and tear electricity running through gold wire has. Now, if we were talking about an engine with hundreds of moving parts all relying on each other to maintain perfect timing, then I would be worried.

Why not? The only moving part is the fan and those things run whether you are running the processor or not, just as long as the system is on.

My PC is rarely off for more than a few hours and it is six years old. I've had to ugrade a DVD burner that quit having firmware support, but that is it.

You would be amazed at how little wear and tear electricity running through gold wire has. Now, if we were talking about an engine with hundreds of moving parts all relying on each other to maintain perfect timing, then I would be worried.

Actually just having it on is what causes the Xbox360 to give the RROD. It generates a huge amount of heat, and over time, the components fatigue from the heat. Then they get brittle and prone to cracking. It applies to almost all electronics. MS's 360 just happened to be less prepared for it.

The biggest i've seen since i did the day-and-a-half one has been only 8 hours. 👍

I was kind of hoping for 15 mins ones :lol:!

My PS3 is never on unless Im using it for gaming or other media... its on idle maybe for like 15-20 mins if that and it may not be on for days if ive got tons of work! Making folding a bit uselss...

currently have one of 7,5 hours (has 4,5 to go with 30% done)

If you run it on your pc, you can pick an option so that it only downloads deadlineless packets.
I have a dualcore processor in my laptop, and while i'm running a virtual machine one 1 core, i have the foldingathome running on the other.

Actually just having it on is what causes the Xbox360 to give the RROD. It generates a huge amount of heat, and over time, the components fatigue from the heat. Then they get brittle and prone to cracking. It applies to almost all electronics. MS's 360 just happened to be less prepared for it.
It seems to me that it has some form of nuclear reactor level cooling system in it and while it does produce a lot of hot air it is quickly moved out through the vents, which is why you can feel lots of heat blowing out the side.

As the PS3s are being used in more than one scientific testing lab which are running it through tougher stuff than Folding can I am guessing that the Cell is a fairly durable product.

I'm already in 8th place amongst GTP'ers. :)

I've left it folding many, many nights in a row, sometimes weeks went on without me shutting it down Either folding or playing or listening to music or watching movies... Never overheated.

And the problem it has now has nothing to do with the amount of time it stayed on (i'm 99% sure), as it's a mechanical failure on the disc reader area.
I've restored it to default settings and still it doesn't work. But everything else is fine.

Well, I have moved into fourth, bypassing Solid Fro. What happened to him? He hasn't been on in a while. Here or on his PS3.

And I am catching up to reclaim my spot from Land Sea Air, who stole it from me while I was on vacation. That just cannot stand!

Ebiggs is about to take 1st place from me... Not surprising since I only have the PS3 on a limited time now.

Back