Folding@home GTP Team is #55702 (PS3 and PC) - Team is once again ranked #700!

• Thread starter Eric.
  • 389 comments
How are the values for the WUs calculated? My PC's working on a 50,000 unit, and it's currently cranking it out at about 5 seconds a frame, but the 2 5,000 point WUs I did were being done at only about 30 seconds a frame? At this rate it'll do the 50,000 work unit in less time than 2 of the 5,000 work units. I thought the value was directly related to how much processing had to be done on it?

KM.

My PS3 has mostly been on for the entire week. It's time I take it a bit more easy, I think. I don't know if dust can get inside the PS3 laser lens assembly, like on the PS2. If so, I'm going to need a laser lens cleaner real soon. Ever since last week, this thing has gotten DIRTY!

My PS3 has mostly been on for the entire week. It's time I take it a bit more easy, I think. I don't know if dust can get inside the PS3 laser lens assembly, like on the PS2. If so, I'm going to need a laser lens cleaner real soon. Ever since last week, this thing has gotten DIRTY!

I'm with ya on that. I'll keep the PC's crankin' away, but I can't have all the fun to myself. ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean... Ever since I got the PS3, dust has been sticking to the TV and PS3. To brush it all off, you can FEEL all the static, like touching a Tube-TV when you turn it off. Unusual!

ultrabeat
Did you get my message on MSN?

Are you sure you have changed your name from the default "PS3" to a recognisable name? And made sure you put in the team number "55702"? You'll see these details on the very top right side of your screen while folding.

Well I turned off my PS3 to let the rest of you guys catch up.

:cheers:

Does anyone know where the air intake is for the PS3? there a good amount of dust in my room and I have had it on for a solid week (almost) now and I dont want it to get clogged full of dust.

Pictures would help.

I'm on the board now!

But it's showing only one work unit...

I have 4 damn it!

When did this become a race? ;)

If it is, then maybe we should divide the number of points a person has by the number of processors they are using... just to be fair. ;)

Code:
 1  SOLID_LIFTERS 	6,274
 2  PZF_ 		5,896
 3  opendriver 		5,884
 4  D-Nitrate 		5,617
 5  landseaair 		5,496
 6  SolidFro 		5,020
 7  ALPHA 		2,933
 8  OZZY 		2,933
 9  glacier985 		2,432
10  Eric_Biggs 		2,310 (9,241/4)
11  Pako 		1,798 (8,991/5)
12  MARS 		1,785
13  PS3 		1,737
14  Small_Fryz 		1,435
15  murphykieran 	  931
16  bluearth 		  861
17  Grim 		  330
18  KyNguyen 		  302

Or let us count all the folding we are doing for other groups as well. :D

Or to be really fair, we should average it by the number of days since joining the GTP group.....

Or do what we have been doing, and keep logging hours no matter how much or how little in the name of medical research! đź‘Ť

Wow. That kind of proves how long I leave my PS3 running this for.

I agree with logging as much hours and CPUs as possible. It is for medical research after all (well... :P).

opendriver, you came out of no where!

G.T
opendriver, you came out of no where!

Yeah, a small story ensues.....

It was getting a little could at night around norcal and I desided to kick on the heater to feel a little better and sleep longer. So this went on for about a week when one night I forgot to turn the heater on ( mind you my PS3 had been on for a total of 4 days now). I wake up, go downstairs to turn the heater off, but then see its not on. I then realized that the PS3 had heated my entire 1200 sqr. foot apartment by itself!

To my amazement, the PS3 itself was barely even warm, no part of it was "hot" to the touch.

It has now been on for a week solid as of today:tup:
Wow.:dunce:

When did this become a race? ;)

If it is, then maybe we should divide the number of points a person has by the number of processors they are using... just to be fair. ;)

Or let us count all the folding we are doing for other groups as well. :D

Or to be really fair, we should average it by the number of days since joining the GTP group.....

Or do what we have been doing, and keep logging hours no matter how much or how little in the name of medical research! đź‘Ť

Well...this is a forum full of race heads. Competition is in our blood, our nature, it is a way of life for most of us. How could it not become a race? ;)

Bar non, total resources for total folds based on Stanford's point system. Since the fold send to the CPU is out of 'our' control, we simply have a point system. CPU count is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned as one of my CPU's takes over a week for a 5,000 fold set. I'm tempted to add it to our network which would give me about another 30 CPU's but I don't know if Corp IT would have a cow knowing that it's using company resources.

You're right though, we should just keep folding knowing it's doing some good for the world.

By the way, who's first now?

;)

1 SOLID_LIFTERS 6,274

Oh, yeah!!! Don't mess with 'The Lifters,' 'cause he'll shove a bunch of peanuts down your pants and kick your butt 'til he makes creamy peanut butter run down your legs!

On a further note, I haven't folded a protein in two days. I better get cranking!

Well I turned off my PS3 to let the rest of you guys catch up.

:cheers:

Forget about us..err..them. No need to delay research.

Does anyone know where the air intake is for the PS3? there a good amount of dust in my room and I have had it on for a solid week (almost) now and I dont want it to get clogged full of dust.

Pictures would help.

I think most of the intake air comes from the vents in the front. After looking at it, I think that is the only intake actually. Heat blows out the rear and the right side.

PS3 workunits have a two-day deadline. If you just run it a couple hours a day you aren't going to make any progress. Stanford made all of the PS3 workunits around 8 hours or less so users can just leave it on overnight if they wish.

Pako: See if you can get permission to install. Tell them how it only uses the systems' idle time and focus on the medical side. ;) I may talk to my school's network IT about it.

Does anybody know if Folding will still do work when it is at a login screen (Novell client on WinXP systems)?

I stand mine upright to expel the heat better (hot air rises)

Ill take a compressed air can and clean it out this weekend

I don't think you need to worry about standing it vertically. It does a great job horizontally too. How are you planning on blowing air out? You'll probably just wind up blowing it inside of the PS3. It is better to just keep it clean.

I stand mine upright to expel the heat better (hot air rises)

Ill take a compressed air can and clean it out this weekend

Do NOT use the compressed air can. Bad idea. I noticed with my PS2 if I even used a vac to suck the dust off the grill work it would cause DREs the next day or week. Just lightly wipe the dust off the grill work with a soft cloth. That's it. Treat it like you were married to it (no sucking or blowing).

The Xbox 360, as you know, is prone to overheating, and that hasn't needed a proper clean for nearly a year now...

I know the PS3 attracts more dust, but I really don't think getting dust out of it is an issue yet.

Well, I game the PS3 some much needed time off, but it's back to work! *wah-psh* *wah-psh*

Edit: Just broke the 10,000 point mark for a personal record.

Hey guys, if you don't know this already, anyone with Dual-Core/ HT Pentium processors should follow the instructions on post #12 in here:

http://www.overclock.net/overclock-...-dual-core-2.html?highlight=dual+core+folding

It allows you to run more than one folding@home application at once, which I'm doing on this HT-equipped desktop right now. It really works - with one running it's at 50% load - two 100% The fan speed is now scaring me though... :scared:

I'm not sure if it definitely works yet though, as I've only just started...

Edit: Hmmm, maybe not: "FILE IO ERROR".

Edit2: Ah, looks like it was getting the IDs confused as the graphical one was installed. Seems to be fine now I hope...

Wow. I'm on a 125 frame WU on the PC which takes over 5 minutes per frame. It won't finish for another 10 hours.

That is odd. You haven't done any PC folding?

@Jordan,
Welcome to the list. ;)

That is odd. You haven't done any PC folding?

@Jordan,
Welcome to the list. ;)

None. I think I've discovered a flaw in the WU counting function. I'm not going to mention it because I'm sure everyone is going to inflate their ratings with it.

Back