Scavenger Hunt Week 12 - check post 1 for details.

• Thread starter Boz Mon
  • 946 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok heres the final rules/regulations for the scavenger hunt:

1. There will be several themes choose by the previous weeks winner
2. The previous weeks winner will choose the next winner
3. Points are as follows 1st 5pts, 2nd 3pts, 3rd 1pt
4. The points will be kept track of by Joey D on the leaderboard
5. You must prove that the shot is authentic by one or more of the following ways:
-The full size original
-A resized picture/thumbnail
-The approximate time of the photo being taken
-The date of the photo being taken (Verified by the photo properties)
-The location of the photo being taken
-A paper with your GTP username in the pic
-Your username written on your finger in the pic
-A hand in the pic
-Ask for permission to use other methods
6. The contest will run from monday to monday (no late submissions)

We have a winner in each category every week. That winner cannot participate in the category that they won in the previous week.

New categories:

1. Most Expensive Ford
The most expensive car ultimately produced with Ford money (I will be using UK£ values to level the field off, and converting $1.90/£ for any vehicles sold in the US but not the UK).
2. Fastest French car.
3. Twins!
Any picture containing two successive examples of the same vehicle.
Shocking Twist - the more successive examples you get, the better. If someone posts triplets, twins won't be good enough for the point. If someone posts quadruplets, triplets won't be good enough for the point.
4. V10s.
Just post me up some V10 engined cars. I like them.

Bonus vehicle: BMW X5.
Shocking Twist - A BMW X5 with a vanity plate beats a BMW X5.
Shocking Twist 2 - A BMW X5 with a vanity plate which doesn't contain the phrases "X5" or "BMW" beats a BMW X5 with a vanity plate.

All vehicles must be road-legal, production road cars, and, as per usual, dealership and car show spots are out.

Deadline has been stretched to midnight BST (GMT+1) Tuesday 10th July.

Leaderboard
1. M5Power 18pts
2. Joey D 11pt.
3. Bubble Bunny 7pts.
4. Famine 6pt.
4. SammiTougeGirl 5pts.
4. Ferrari_Chris 5pts.
4. YSSMAN 5pts.
4. Gashlycrumb 5pt
5. Casio 4pts.
5. Slicks 4pts.
6. Keef 3pt.
7. BennyR 2pts.
7. chaser_fan 2pts.
7. Toronado 2pt.
7. Diego 2pt.
8. Gingiba 1pt.
8. daan 1pt.

Let me start...

America:
1984 Ford Mustang SVO

Europe:
1963 Porsche 356S

Asia:
1997 Nissan Skyline GT-R 4 door

Aussies:
1970 Holden Monaro GTS

With cars like that, it'll take everyone forever to get them. I think it should be a little more realistic.

I mean, for one thing, the aren't exactly alot of skylines and Monaro's running around the U.S. are there.

With cars like that, it'll take everyone forever to get them. I think it should be a little more realistic.

I mean, for one thing, the aren't exactly alot of skylines and Monaro's running around the U.S. are there.

I'm sorry I should of explained. I posted a car for each continent. I don't expect America to locate a Holden for christ sakes. lol

What if we found a car for a continent other than our own? For example, it would be easier for me to find a Porsche 356 than a Mustang SVO.

We need a good set of rules, especially something that shows authenticity.

I'm sorry I should of explained. I posted a car for each continent. I don't expect America to locate a Holden for christ sakes. lol

Ok, that makes more sense to me.

As for rules, the sign thing would work but with a couple flaws. You'd have to hold the sign and shoot if the car was moving, or sit a sign on the car and shot, and I don't always have pen and paper on me.

Ok, that makes more sense to me.

As for rules, the sign thing would work but with a couple flaws. You'd have to hold the sign and shoot if the car was moving, or sit a sign on the car and shot, and I don't always have pen and paper on me.

Not to mention making an ass of yourself holding a GTP sign on a car that isnt yours. I was thinking just maybe a hand in the pic or something like that. Like take the pic but reach around the camera to get your hand in the shot?

If I'm driving down the motorway and spot a car and take a screen with my cell phone that has to count, I'm not going to have the time and or oppertunity to stop, hand write a GTP sign, get back on the motorway and hunt the car down. So, I vote for somekind of exception.

Or what about requiring weird angles or tilting one way or the other. IE camera tilted diagonally to the left or something like that?

Or you could carry around a piece of paper that showed your GTP name on it. Like I do, just incase I need it.

Actually this is a pretty good idea, but there would have to be fair rules. I believe an '84 Mustang SVO is considerably harder than the other cars on that list, though it's not impossible. We should do this, guys, even if I would win. :P

There is a guy in my town with a black one, I just have to get lucky and spot him one day.

And you guys are just going to have to accept my cell phone pic without any kind of GTP sign or whatever.

And you guys are just going to have to accept my cell phone pic without any kind of GTP sign or whatever.

Same - signs are too much to ask. Usually I see the cars on the move - I'm lucky to get a shot off.

You are going to have to at least put your hand in the picture, I could come up with pictures of all 4 or those cars right now and make it look like I saw them.

And we are going to have to have more then just one car to take a picture of.

We arent starting yet, we must get the rules in place first before we even think about getting the ball rolling. I think that a list of like 10 to 15 cars should be used. And we need to think of a way around the US cars UK cars etc to make it fair to everyone regardless of what side of the pond you are on.

If it is taken from a car, why not just include a piece of the dashboard or door panel? Then take a picture of the cars dashboard only for proof.

Actually this is a pretty good idea, but there would have to be fair rules.

Thats going to be the hard part. Different parts of the world, beyond that, the different parts of the country are likely to be far more easy or difficult to find particular cars of a given make a model. What we would have to collectively decide is whats too hard, and whats too easy, and there would be obvious limitations to whats there. Something like a Lamborghini or Ferrari is a rarity at best, but there are some of us who are more likely to see them than others. On the same token, cars like an '07 Camry SE, although rare-ish by comparison to the rest of the models, in-general are still easy to spot.

* Here are my suggestions/thoughts/ideas *

I'm envisioning that we continue the daily submissions to the "What did you see" thread, and then at the end of the week, we'll all have to submit our top-three models for evaluation based on the weekly, or maybe collective criteria.

For example, say in week one we have the task of finding the best model with a Chevrolet Small-block (any generation), the best '80s Japanese sports-car, and maybe smallest car you can come across. Each model will be awarded points on a scale of five, decided by maybe three or four "heads" of the thread, and by the end of that weekend, the winner would be declared.

Otherwise, I do like the idea of continental hunts for given models, the problem is, being 'fair' in the criteria is going to be difficult. If we were to use America as an example, we (me and Joey) are less-likely to find something like a Toyota Cressida than someone in California or Florida, but on the same token, we may be more likely to see a GT500 or Charger SRT-8 than others across the country (given our locations in Michigan)...

...I'm sure we can eventually come up with a good idea here, as I think this overall is too good to pass-up...

For example, say in week one we have the task of finding the best model with a Chevrolet Small-block (any generation), the best '80s Japanese sports-car, and maybe smallest car you can come across. Each model will be awarded points on a scale of five, decided by maybe three or four "heads" of the thread, and by the end of that weekend, the winner would be declared.

This is an excellent idea 👍

Keeping the categories fresh and fairly judging the finds may be the hardest part however. I think we're going to need a panel of judges, or maybe we can have a collective voting system for judgment of the finds for the given week (similar to the 'Best Car' threads), but there has to be a way we can do three poles in one thread...

I'm looking forward to something along the lines of 'fanciest semi-truck or lorrie' or maybe 'best car-hauler delivery' or something along those lines. Odd requirements are going to come up with odd results, and there may be some crazy cars found. Doing decades and brands, or at least national origin hunting may be kinda fun. We're going to have to keep it somewhat simple in that regard, as we obviously haven't had French cars in America since the early '90s, and you aren't likely to find many 'true' American cars running around in France either...

If it is taken from a car, why not just include a piece of the dashboard or door panel? Then take a picture of the cars dashboard only for proof.

Good idea.

How about, for non-moving cars: write your username on your finger, and hold it across the bottom of the photo when you take a shot. You can always wash it off again.

Roo
Good idea.

How about, for non-moving cars: write your username on your finger, and hold it across the bottom of the photo when you take a shot. You can always wash it off again.

Thats what I was thinking, you beat me to it 👍

Roo
Good idea.

Here is the problem, Batman: Those of us who are taking photos running around with our RAZRs and KRAZRs aren't going to be able to get much in there, much less, have anything being able to be seen...

The easiest way to tell if they are lying or not will be to check the creation date that is stamped on the file. I believe every photograph you upload onto a computer from whatever source has the stamp, and it isn't lost when it is moved around on the internets.

But even then, a lot of us can tell when they are fake...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back