◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,534 comments
I like the Camaro at Daytona:) ran a 1:38.4 hoping to dip in to the 1:37's

I had a pretty rough and tough halloween, didn't make it to the practice lounge sadly. Got slightly festive, and I'm just returning home now at 5 am. What was everyone running with the r8?

zeromisfit999
I had a pretty rough and tough halloween, didn't make it to the practice lounge sadly. Got slightly festive, and I'm just returning home now at 5 am. What was everyone running with the r8?

If by running you mean spinning out of contol.... We all ran fine!

zeromisfit999

For the R8, they ran 1:32 to 1:33 race times in our room, zero. Kuulkriine and Wolfsatz were running fast, and several other D4 and D3 guys as well.

Is it illegal to get into the air on all 4 wheels? There is a good difference in lap time regarding turn 2. If you go over the chicane it will lift car up.

Is it illegal to get into the air on all 4 wheels? There is a good difference in lap time regarding turn 2. If you go over the chicane it will lift car up.

Do all 4 wheels have to go off track? I actually believe its spelt out in the OLR though. Two w on track at all times unless its a situation like on cape ring or Eiger where the jump is part of the track.

Ok, just looked at the rules. And here is what I found in section 16-b.
Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the track/circuit which includes the rumble strips and footpaths, but not grassed areas.
I interpret this rule as I stated above.

Last edited:
To elorabate, if you get airborne, you must be able to draw a straight line down from your tires to the ground. Those lines must land on the ground in a way that would have two of them within the bounderies of the track. This means on the rumble strip or track surface.

I saw quite a few drivers cut this corner during the practice session. You know who you are so clean it up by Sunday.

I have a hard time running my ideal line if I jump that corner. I have to kinda make a left after turn 1 and straighten up that corner in order to make that tricky left hander without spinning out.

Sure he is. This one:
audi-r8.gif

I found you just had to be nice and smooth with the Audi. If you tried to manhandle it around the track, it will have you trying to catch slides in no time.

Also, no passing below the yellow line on the oval part of Daytona...I think that also includes at the standing start (I can't recall what the decision was on that when we ran the Amuse here ages ago).

Hi guys, I clearly need to improve my racing and I'm searching for fast partners (faster than me, so I can learn from them).

This is also to improve my battle skills in close racing and learn to manage my nervosity and concentration in these situations.

Finally, if you're interested in practicing with me, as my mentor, I'd like to know your main time frames of playtime.

Let me know via pm please!

Max

Honestly I get the most learning in during the practice nights on Wednesdays. Last week I followed Nicktune around Autumn Ring Reverse and learned shift points, lines and was also able to battle door to door with him for a bit to get a bit of learning experience.

Last night I let him by whenever he was behind me for that sole purpose. Follow his lines, learn braking points, etc. When following someone, if you maintain full concentration, you can hear when they let off the gas, see when they use the brake, hear them shift up or down and follow their line.

Thanks again Nicktune for the indirect lesson. 👍

qwietstorm
... Follow his lines, learn braking points, etc. When following someone, if you maintain full concentration, you can hear when they let off the gas, see when they use the brake, hear them shift up or down and follow their line.

Thanks again Nicktune for the indirect lesson. 👍

I totally agree. I followed jobyone around Autumn Ring last night, dropped several seconds off my Best lap times And was leading in the reverse good race until I took myself out.

Last edited:
I totally agree. I followed jobyone around Autumn Ring last night, dropped several seconds off my Best lap times And was leading in the reverse good race until I took myself out.

That's the 2nd step for me. First step is finding the correct line and braking/shift points. The 2nd step is to run consistent laps. 7 consistent laps that are slightly slower is better than running 5 fast laps and 2 throw away laps.

That's the 2nd step for me. First step is finding the correct line and braking/shift points. The 2nd step is to run consistent laps. 7 consistent laps that are slightly slower is better than running 5 fast laps and 2 throw away laps.
I totally agree with this. I tend to practice to get fast laps but never expect to run those times in a race. I look for consistency. If my lap times are not within 1 second a lap over a race distance then I am not doing a good job. From looking at the stats over the last few months you can usually be 2 seconds off a fast lap and if you were consistent with that time finish in the top 5 more often than not.

As for practice I much prefer just hoping in a race rather than just driving laps. As long as there are 3 or more in a room just start a race. Getting used to having to learn and adjust in a race situation will help you prepare for Sunday a lot more than setting fast laps by your self.

Just my 2¢

Always happy to help out. Lots of faster S.N.A.I.L.s have done the same for me.

Also, no passing below the yellow line on the oval part of Daytona...I think that also includes at the standing start (I can't recall what the decision was on that when we ran the Amuse here ages ago).

Right. The yellow line on the oval is the end of the track. Not only should you not pass there, you shouldn't even drive there. That's true at the start, as well.

The only exception is when you're avoiding an incident, of course.

I agree that just hot-lapping practice isn't really enough if you're practicing to race. If it was autocross, that'd be fine, but when there is traffic when you drive, you should (duh) practice for what you will perform. Yes, doing the runs to get your ideal lines, etc, is key, but if you don't know how you may need to alter them to defend or to pass, then you aren't really prepared, are you?

Halloween is killing me haha. Glad it is over. Had a bit of a rough one, and I feel like it should be Sunday Morning right now, when it is is 3:50pm on a Thursday. Woo.

Back