10/20/2007 Demo

• Thread starter M5_dude
  • 897 comments
I have only done 4 races and I find this demo too easy... I turned all aids off and tried default and simulation modes (it is all in Japanese but I think that's what it says... :confused: ).

Is there any way of changing AI difficulty or is it only related to the fact that I only tried with R3 tires?

One thing that I noticed and still don't know if it is good or bad is that there is an steering help that is constantly correcting the steering wheel. Is this only with the 6 axis controller (my case) or you also noticed that driving with the DFP and G25?

Well,
I 4 one did have high expectations from GT5 demo.
I don't complain against the graphix, they are even with it's small flaws just beautifull, where example Forza2 should be ashamed :)

But even the Forza2 demo was much much more realistic when it came to the driving physics, crashing physics etc. etc. wich is where the heavy artilarry of GT5 should be!

Famine,
We definitely play different games on our G25 or we got different G25's ;), because the respons I get from LFS/GTR2 is way more advanced than on GT5 demo, and I'm not talking about the Clutch.

Famine,
We definitely play different games on our G25 or we got different G25's ;), because the respons I get from LFS/GTR2 is way more advanced than on GT5 demo, and I'm not talking about the Clutch.

I'll just invite you to think again on this:

Live for Speed: FULL price, FULL release.
GTR2: FULL price, FULL release.
GT5 Prologue Demo: FREE, DEMO of a PREVIEW.

Now, I'm not entirely sure what positions you in my head and delivers all of my experiences to you - I certainly haven't stated them in the thread. Nor am I wholly sure why you are intent on finding some meaning in my words beyond the meanings OF the words.

All I've said is that my G25 turns when I turn it and the funny looking man on the screen does the same thing at the same time. My G25 changes gear up or down accordingly, when I use the paddles, tiptronic or H-gate, and the game does the same thing at the same time for me. I'm not sure why this classes as "No decent G25 support" in your book.

Nor am I sure why you keep on comparing a completely free, 730Mb download of a demo of a preview of a game to a whole string of full price full releases. As I said earlier, when was the last time you played a free demo of a preview of a game which had all of the features of the final game in it?

U have to Stop writing FREE, because I for one think that DEMO's should be FREE...and I believe I'm not alone...That the GT5 demo is FREE isn't an excuse to release anything as long as it has new graphix. Though, GT5 Prologue which will be a DEMO and will COST MONEY right? How much was it 30-40 bucks... I don't have economical problems, but I don't like to throw my money out the window either. I sure hope you're right so the GT5 Prologue DEMO that will COST money, has changed significantly in physics both the driving and crashing.

GT5 Prologue is what it claims to be, a prologue for GT5. Not a demo. I guess you thought GT3 was just a demo for GT4 because it looked pretty similar and was released earlier?

GT5P is a full game. A pretty small one, but still a full game. Full games tend to cost money. Demos are something to show you while the final product is being hammered together, to give you even a slight idea about what's coming. If you got a free single song demo CD of a debuting music group, would you complain because it didn't have that Super Audio CD quality of your favourite recording that cost you $25?

U have to Stop writing FREE, because I for one think that DEMO's should be FREE

And, lo, it is free... So what's the issue with pointing out that this is a free demo and not a full price game?

That the GT5 demo is FREE isn't an excuse to release anything as long as it has new graphix.

I'm pretty sure you weren't forced to download it at gunpoint.

The fact that you did seems to justify their releasing it. Besides, it's not like they've ripped anyone off, is it?

Though, GT5 Prologue which will be a DEMO and will COST MONEY right?

No, GT5: Prologue will be a game - a preview, if you like. GT4: Prologue was also a game, and a preview of GT4.

It will cost money if you decide to buy it. If you don't, it won't.

I sure hope you're right so the GT5 Prologue DEMO that will COST money, has changed significantly in physics both the driving and crashing.

At no point have I said that GT5: Prologue will be any different to this demo, so I'm not sure why you think I have. I can't imagine it'll be the same, obviously, but I've not actually referred to GT5: Prologue at all.

Please be aware:
GT5: Prologue (Demo) - Demo. Out now for 2 weeks, free to download.
GT5: Prologue - Reduced content release. Out March 2008 (EU) in two versions (download and BluRay)
GT5 - Full release. Out November 2008*

If you want to compare features between full price releases, please wait until the full price release is actually out.

*Subject to typical, colossal change.

Greycap,
Okey, I can buy that expl.... but with other words GT5P will be almost the final game as what GT5 will be like. Not many changes, if I understod u right. So, if the driving physics and crash physics in GT5P are like in the GT5 demo than GT5 will not be so much different? If yes, I don't understand why to sell a very very little game...if not to get more money from their fans!

Just to clear things up: I am a racingfan not a Brandfan or special gamefan o.k.!

But there are serious problems with the physics in GT5 demo, Breaking and engine sounds (didn't pay 1500 euros for a surround sistem to hear a catscream everytime I hit the Breaks. G25 is not optimized at all to the demo as in other great racers.

So, if the driving physics and crash physics in GT5P are like in the GT5 demo than GT5 will not be so much different?

Why with all the assumptions?

Was GT4 in any way like GT4: Prologue?

Why with all the assumptions?

Was GT4 in any way like GT4: Prologue?

So, with other words, PD/Sony is gonna f.ck us all over again?
I don't know if u want me to spell it for you why I really don't like the idea PD/Sony has started with the release of prologue with very limited cars/tracks etc. for almost a fullgame price and than finally release the full game for full price again.
Yes, I know, they don't force anyone to buy it, but that is also a big reason why they are loosing their fans to other games!

Make a good game, listen to your fans...not only to those who agrees with everything, listen to those who complains maybe they are on to something and every demo or a none full game should be free or not released.

Just my opinion.

Hey, they got rid of one car and added a new car, with a red cover over it. That sucks. I never got to use the 'skirt' car that much. Oh well.

Hey, they got rid of one car and added a new car, with a red cover over it. That sucks. I never got to use the 'skirt' car that much. Oh well.

Yeh its the same car the Nissan GTR without the Spy shot covers. 24th its come apparently.

Here are my thoughts on the demo. NOTE: These are my opinions from my experience and I will not debate them with anyone because they are my opinions. Arguing opinions based on separate experiences and expectations is like arguing eye color: nothing will change it.

First, not being able to read Japanese the only options I figured out was AT/MT and tires. So far I have only driven on R3 tires. I am assuming this also means that I have run in arcade physics, something which I will remedy tonight.

Visuals:
Gloriously beautiful, even on my SDTV, although in SD it seems to be a bit animated, yet detailed. But images and videos played on my screen make it look the same while viewing them on my PC monitor make them look amazingly realistic. Also, not having a wide screen view I don't see my mirrors completely. If someone knows how to letterbox my screen in the options please let me know.

I love the in-car view and will be using it from this point on. It works great with the DFP as I can turn to see cars coming up beside me.

The only complaint I have is the occasional jagginess and things everyone else has been having. Considering the quality I have seen in other game demos I don't see this as a huge concern unless it makes it into the final release.

This leads me to--

Sounds:
Engine sounds definitely sound better and I can distinguish between each car. They don't sound exactly like their real-life counterparts in many cases, but it is definitely improved over GT4. And then the way the sounds work to position the cars is amazing. I heard a rumble come out of my back right speaker and grow into my front right, when I looked to the right there was a Mustang working to pass me. Nicely done.

Tires...uh, not so much. I can't tell a huge difference from GT4, but maybe a back and forth comparison is needed.

Controls:
I have only used a DFP for this. Why would I use the controller? The feedback feels weak, but I believe this can be adjusted in the settings. I will compare to GT:HD to find it, but if anyone has a screenshot that would be much appreciated. I haven't checked other threads for this yet, so it may be there. If so, point my way or ignore me because I will find it. Although, I will admit that when I went of track and was attempting to come back on I pulled in front of a car coming around the turn and he hit the right side of my nose, spinning my car and jerking the DFP almost to the left stop. Completely caught me off guard. Otherwise the DFP works great. The cars respond to me the way I think they should and the hands on screen mimic my movement very well, although it does lack hand over hand, but this track doesn't give me much reason to turn that far. And as mentioned they don't shift, but that is minor in my book and something I imagine will be working by the final GT5.

Physics:
As I seem to have only used arcade mode I am still pleased by the improvements. I still get more understeer than I like, but the oversteer works properly. I found myself fishtailing after dropping a tire and over correcting, and I even spun myself a couple of times. It isn't perfect but is definitely improved.

Bumping still is too forgiving, but the cars do go off much more than they used to. This needs more to be realistic but it is noticeably better.

AI:
I was pleasantly surprised here. Is it just me or did I have my pass blocked a couple of times? I also bumped a car in the rear and it immediately moved over to give me the line. In another scenario I took a turn too hot and was sliding out and a car next to me went off track to avoid a collision. It looked very nice. Many times I dive into the inside of the corner and instead of having to fight against the AI car they take the wider line and rode side-by-side through the turn.

I have noticed in replays they play bumper cars with each other a bit. When they go against a human player though they truly do seem to be aware of my presence. When I have spun out they have done a good job of avoiding me, unless I pull across in front of them, which would be my fault. I spun once and came to a stop in the middle of the track and of the roughly ten cars behind me only one of them hit me.

All in all this is a very good demo and shows a lot of improvement over GT4. It is a lot of fun and I can't wait to figure out all the menus to be able to adjust my settings to maximize my experience. There are definitely issues that appear to be finishing touches yet to be done or corners cut to make this a relatively small download. It is enough to suddenly make me contemplate importing the Japanese version of Prologue, instead of waiting for the US release.

So, with other words, PD/Sony is gonna f.ck us all over again?
I don't know if u want me to spell it for you why I really don't like the idea PD/Sony has started with the release of prologue with very limited cars/tracks etc. for almost a fullgame price and than finally release the full game for full price again.
Yes, I know, they don't force anyone to buy it, but that is also a big reason why they are loosing their fans to other games!

Make a good game, listen to your fans...not only to those who agrees with everything, listen to those who complains maybe they are on to something and every demo or a none full game should be free or not released.

Just my opinion.

Okay, you're a new member, so I'll cut you some slack. Go back and read the Acceptable Use Policy you recently agreed to again.

Your barely-censored expletive - unacceptable. Your insistence on using "txtspk" ("U" instead of "you", for example) - not acceptable.

Moving onto your point - which now seems to have shifted from how a free demo doesn't have all the features of a panoply of full price PC/XBox releases to how a game which hasn't been released yet is somehow not good value - do you remember GT4: Prologue?

GT4: Prologue was released to slake the thirsts of a slavering pack of ingrates, as a reduced-price, reduced-content taster for the full release. Apart from the names of some tracks and cars, almost nothing remained from that game to the later full-price release of the full GT4 game. Prologue was, then, essentially a mildly tweaked GT3 physics engine with a mildly tweaked GT3 graphics engine. If you'd ever played GT4: Prologue, you'd know exactly what I meant.

GT4:P sold about a million copies. GT4 later went on to sell ten times that. Were the million people who bought GT4:P ripped off by PD? Not a bit of it.

Problem is, a lot of people seem to want something for nothing - like, for instance, a GT5-sized, GT5-content game with every single feature in it for free, in a 736Mb download, 12 months before the game is ready. In this case, of course, you HAVE got something for nothing. It isn't the finished product, but it sure as hell beats complaining for the next year that PD haven't released anything since GT4, and exactly what is it they're doing with all this time...

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. They release a FREE taster and we whine because it's not a bells-and-whistles complete product (for some reason). They don't and we whine that they aren't doing anything to keep their fans happy. :rolleyes:

You are quite right in that feedback from this release lets PD know what's right and what isn't. Persistantly whinging because your left foot is unoccupied won't help anyone - I'd be reasonably confident that they already know this, since it wasn't coded into the demo. I'd also be reasonably confident that this is a feature which will be in one of the next two products - remember, if they'd have included more features, the download would have been bigger and people would still have whined because it took a long time to download.

It's a free demo. There's things missing because it's not the final game, it needs to fit down an internet tube and they want to whet our appetites with demonstrably improved physics and graphics.

Please remember the concept of "constructive criticism".

G.T
I agree. It's good to give some criticism since PD needs to know where to improve, but to go all out saying PD should have done more with the graphics, gameplay etc and dislike the demo because of it really need to get into their heads what you just said - it is just a demo of a preview of the final game. PD have several stages of development to go yet, and frankly, I think they have done a great job so far! :)

I agree as well, if peeps think they can do better then PD then go and have a go.

I am more then happy with what we have be given, after all its free and PD could of kept us all waiting till the full game release.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before.

* The cars don't seem to hover anymore. They touch the asphalt. :tp:

* The 3D grass is moving when cars pass. (air displacement)

* Took the Daihatsu OFC-1 and you can't use the stick to shift gears. You have to use the paddles behind the wheel, like irl (this car has an automatic gearbox with paddles behind the wheel). It even sounds like an automatic when you shift gears.

PD is making this game even more realistic than we all dare to dream.

:)

* Took the Daihatsu OFC-1 and you can't use the stick to shift gears. You have to use the paddles behind the wheel, like irl (this car has an automatic gearbox with paddles behind the wheel). It even sounds like an automatic when you shift gears.
Really? Hmm, I have almost always used AT up to now and decided the demo of the new game woudl be a great place to start training myself on AT. This might be why I felt like I was doing it horribly with the stick, if it wasn't using the stick.

Of course, it means I can't use my most effective style, which is right paddle for up and tap the stick for down, just because my right hand is quicker than my left.

I have not really played it much, however i wish there was an option of unlimited laps, so as you can just drive and get the feel of the game.

I think it is going to be a new learning curve, and i cant wait for full FFB for the G25, think i am going to invest in a playseat.

Glad i invested in a Panasonic 42" plasma viera 600 series :)

Okay, you're a new member, so I'll cut you some slack. Go back and read the Acceptable Use Policy you recently agreed to again.

Your barely-censored expletive - unacceptable. Your insistence on using "txtspk" ("U" instead of "you", for example) - not acceptable.

Moving onto your point - which now seems to have shifted from how a free demo doesn't have all the features of a panoply of full price PC/XBox releases to how a game which hasn't been released yet is somehow not good value - do you remember GT4: Prologue?

GT4: Prologue was released to slake the thirsts of a slavering pack of ingrates, as a reduced-price, reduced-content taster for the full release. Apart from the names of some tracks and cars, almost nothing remained from that game to the later full-price release of the full GT4 game. Prologue was, then, essentially a mildly tweaked GT3 physics engine with a mildly tweaked GT3 graphics engine. If you'd ever played GT4: Prologue, you'd know exactly what I meant.

GT4:P sold about a million copies. GT4 later went on to sell ten times that. Were the million people who bought GT4:P ripped off by PD? Not a bit of it.

Problem is, a lot of people seem to want something for nothing - like, for instance, a GT5-sized, GT5-content game with every single feature in it for free, in a 736Mb download, 12 months before the game is ready. In this case, of course, you HAVE got something for nothing. It isn't the finished product, but it sure as hell beats complaining for the next year that PD haven't released anything since GT4, and exactly what is it they're doing with all this time...

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. They release a FREE taster and we whine because it's not a bells-and-whistles complete product (for some reason). They don't and we whine that they aren't doing anything to keep their fans happy. :rolleyes:

You are quite right in that feedback from this release lets PD know what's right and what isn't. Persistantly whinging because your left foot is unoccupied won't help anyone - I'd be reasonably confident that they already know this, since it wasn't coded into the demo. I'd also be reasonably confident that this is a feature which will be in one of the next two products - remember, if they'd have included more features, the download would have been bigger and people would still have whined because it took a long time to download.

It's a free demo. There's things missing because it's not the final game, it needs to fit down an internet tube and they want to whet our appetites with demonstrably improved physics and graphics.

Please remember the concept of "constructive criticism".

:bowdown: +++++REP and my vote for single best post in this OOC thread.

I would only add an additional response to Sakeboots' post:

But even the Forza2 demo was much much more realistic when it came to the driving physics, crashing physics etc. etc. wich is where the heavy artilarry of GT5 should be!
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but as I recall the demo for Forza 2 was available on May 10. The game was released two weeks later in Japan, and five days after that in North America.

By comparison, the GT5:P Demo was released as a special promotion, on October 20th, and assuming the date doesn't change won't be released for another two months in Japan, and no official release date for North America.

Is it possible for you to consider for a moment that GT5:P is still being developed, where as Forza 2 had very likely completed all it's development by the time the demo was released?

Also, is it possible that even GT5:P won't be an entirely accurate representative of what PD has in store for GT5... which there is no official release date for, and may not even get finished until 2009 for all we know?

Finally, while I respect your right to have a personal opinion, I believe you will find many many many people have a very different opinion than yourself regarding how "realistic" and better the Forza2 demo or for that matter Forza 2 was when it came to the driving physics. It is actually a very common criticism found even among diehard Forza fans. Who's right and who wrong? Seeing as there are so many variables, much of which can be influenced by personal preference and subjective analysis, it would be impossible to know.

Is it that hard to accept that the GT5 demo has some serious simulation issiues?
When the Forza2 came out, I praised the pros but didn't left out the cons and I must say that the forumites on xboxsite were more understanding than glorifying the cons...they didn't play blind! They saw what was bad in the game and we could discuss it without any problems.

Seems like, part of the forumites here can't see/wan't see what's bad with this demo. The only thing I can read is that The GT5 demo is FREE, wow...than we all better be shutup and keep the cons for ourselves.

You may visit different racingsites, where almost everyone who played the GT5 demo agrees how unoptimized the G25 wheel is in the game, but here Nooooo :)
Here we know that the G25 wheel is as good optimized as in LFS/GTR2 :/

Everyone has the right to his/her opinion, I respect that. I read what others write and answer to that. Some things are obvious, you don't need a translator to get it. Some not.
GT5 demo's pros and cons doesn't need a translator to see what's wrong in the demo.

As to Digital-Nitrate,
Yes, if you are in for racing simulations, that means if you can afford than you have both a good pc(GTR-series, LFS, RFactor, Race), an Xbo360(Forza2) and a Ps3(GT5)
Than you probably played Forza2 with the wireless wheel and know how real the driving physics are, how deep the tunings are, and now compare it to GT5 demo.
Or demo on demo! Forza2 or RFactor it doesn't matter wich demo you compare it with, exapt for the georgous graphics in GT5, the rest is almost arcade and that's in the simulation mode!

I was one of the first to get a Ps3, paid a lot of money and I expect to get value for it, if the demo isn't ready don't release it. I just can't believe how little it takes for many to be happy. This is sad.

Even a demo, a "FREE" demo should be under critisism if there are things to critisez about. Small things, I don't care much, but GT5 has allways stod for The real Driving Simulation and that means first of all a real good dirivng physics, crash physics *not Pinball*

Famine,
I was one of the million to make the misstake buy buying the GT4P. Do you remember how many afterwards in different gamingsites we're "Whining" ?
Or maybe they didn't get good value for their money.

Is it that hard to accept that the GT5 demo has some serious simulation issiues?
When the Forza2 came out, I praised the pros but didn't left out the cons and I must say that the forumites on xboxsite were more understanding than glorifying the cons...they didn't play blind! They saw what was bad in the game and we could discuss it without any problems.

Seems like, part of the forumites here can't see/wan't see what's bad with this demo. The only thing I can read is that The GT5 demo is FREE, wow...than we all better be shutup and keep the cons for ourselves.

More than 500 posts and you haven't read a single negative about the demo? Pull the other one. I've posted some myself.

You may visit different racingsites, where almost everyone who played the GT5 demo agrees how unoptimized the G25 wheel is in the game, but here Nooooo :)

And we know you can't use the clutch in GT5:P(D).

The question is: So what?

Than you probably played Forza2 with the wireless wheel and know how real the driving physics are, how deep the tunings are, and now compare it to GT5 demo.
Or demo on demo! Forza2 or RFactor it doesn't matter wich demo you compare it with, exapt for the georgous graphics in GT5, the rest is almost arcade and that's in the simulation mode!

As D-N pointed out, the Forza 2 demo came out so close to the Forza 2 game, it was practically a reduced-playability final release. GT5: Prologue is 6 months away - GT5 a full year.

How you can extrapolate what GT5 will be like from a 1-track demo just mystifies me.

I was one of the first to get a Ps3

As was I.

paid a lot of money and I expect to get value for it, if the demo isn't ready don't release it. I just can't believe how little it takes for many to be happy. This is sad.

The demo IS ready. What it isn't is GT5, which seems to be what you're expecting from it - and nothing less will do.

Even a demo, a "FREE" demo should be under critisism if there are things to critisez about. Small things, I don't care much, but GT5 has allways stod for The real Driving Simulation and that means first of all a real good dirivng physics, crash physics *not Pinball*

If crash physics are important to you, you need to brush up on your driving.

And if you think Forza 2's driving physics are any use whatsoever, it's no wonder you think crash physics in GT are required.

Of course we should expect realistic crash physics in a 736Mb free download...

Famine,
I was one of the million to make the misstake buy buying the GT4P. Do you remember how many afterwards in different gamingsites we're "Whining" ?

I also bought GT4:P (preordered). I didn't consider it a mistake. And no, I don't remember how many other gamesites were whining, since I don't tend to visit other gamesites.

Since you've played GT4:P, do you remember there being a difference between GT4:P and GT4? Assuming you do (because there was almost no similarity) why are you so keen to extrapolate the shortcomings of GT5 based on a demo of GT5:P a year before it's even released?

Can someone find and translate the disclaimer page for the demo, that is included in all demos, that says this is a demonstartion of a work in progress and many elements are unfinished and not a representation of the final product?

Maybe in your opinion, but again, you've got to realise this is an early release of a game this is at least a year away from release.

Untrue. There are active threads at the moment with people talking about issues they have: here, here or here being some.

If you had read the other threads, you would know the clutch doesn't work, and the force feedback isn't as strong as it should be.

To be blunt, if you dislike the demo so much, just delete it. It was your choice to download it for free, so you can delete it and wait until the full completed game is released that should supply fixes and more for most of these issues.

Can someone find and translate the disclaimer page for the demo, that is included in all demos, that says this is a demonstartion of a work in progress and many elements are unfinished and not a representation of the final product?

Pfft. An irrelevancy.

All demos of games not to be released for another year should contain all the features of the finished game and be completely true to real life, trouncing all other previously-released full games.

Here are my 2 cents about the demo:

Graphics:

This demo looks amassing even thought I play on a SDTV - I have mirrors cut off but thats not the most important stuff - the most beautiful moment is - playing on a bumper camera and driving behind F430 right after Hairpin - it is just pure beauty, add a new made "mud" mostly before Spoon, which can shroud your view, new light and you have most realistic and the best looking racing game ever.

AI

Frankly I do not really care about it since I will mostly play online or lapping (I still havn't finish GT4..) however I have noticed few interesting things about it - I find playing on S2 tires the best option for competition (yeah I'm not holl01 ;-) ) and AI likes to get into my way making my overtaking harder, for example after Dunlop, that might just be their line but it is quite fun.

Physics

Much improved since GT4, I have always driving on DS2 and now it is much easier to control your acceleration and breaking using SIXAXIS,definitely easier than in GTHD (I would love to try G25 thought especially since H gearbox works ...:/ ) , driving FR car is much more fun right now - you really feel that you are driving FR not a FF for example (back is "running away" nicely :) )

In overall quite a good piece of a software, waiting for prolog.

Someone, perhaps the same RocketPunch who has posted several times in this topic, placed a link to a GT5 Prologue Demo: In Car Multiview + G25 demo video on GameFAQS.

Here is the link in case my attempt to embed a YouTube video didn't work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh2_kF_2l2U

i've been watching this video and i realised that the driver wasnt ever shifting more then 4th gear... well i dont know what gear ratio that beemer has, but i mean in the 2nd lap he was slip streaming the NSX and you gain some speed and still stuck in 4th gear?

anybody could update me on that please:)

Back