10/20/2007 Demo

• Thread starter M5_dude
  • 897 comments
GT5 demo was a dissapointment from the simulation point of view compared to Forza2.

A free, 800Mb demo of a preview is compared to a full price, full size, full release for... why?

-No decent G25 support, why bother playing

It's funny, because my G25 works just fine. What do you mean by "No decent G25 support"?

Well. There is H-gear support, but no clutch support. The interior view is lacking features and the force feedback i a bit on the weak side.

Playing GT5 Prologue with the Logitech G25 wheel.

Hey, nice write up and the Video is cool, but I have a question...

In the video I see you're pressing the clutch pedal, but I can't find a setting that makes the clucth work with my G25. Please can you share how you got that to work as I hate driving with sequential shift.

Thanks

Hey, nice write up and the Video is cool, but I have a question...

In the video I see you're pressing the clutch pedal, but I can't find a setting that makes the clucth work with my G25. Please can you share how you got that to work as I hate driving with sequential shift.

Thanks
The clutch doesn't work in GT5p demo. We just simulate it (at least I do). H-pattern shifter works just fine though.

Well. There is H-gear support, but no clutch support.

That's not exactly "No decent support" though. You can change gear 3 different ways, just not mash a pedal while doing it.

I'm sure when the free first demo of a preview of any other game comes out, every feature in the final game is included right from the off though.

I don't know if this is the right place but here it goes. on the article explaining how to create a japonese account, I got stuck at the screen where you insert a email address and account password. Had to create a normal language account to see that my mistake was a password without a number in it. I know most people know it from creating an account but I had setup my ps3 a long time ago and didn't remember that a needed a number on the password. It was easier if it was mentioned on the article in the first place ;)

thank you.

nuno.

PS: Playing the demo tonight for the first time :D

I've a few questions for those with a copy of the demo:

• How does it feel to have 15 other cars on the track with you in a GT game - is it as good as you always thought it would be?

• Are the AI all of a similar level of 'skill' or do they come as dumb, dumber and dumberer?

• Has the collision aspect been simulated any better?

• Are there any peaks in rev levels when running over kerbs or bumps in the road?

G.T
^ It's definitely less easier to hold onto a slide than in FM2. To be honest personally if it was a little harder to hold onto a slide in this demo (especially in the BMW) I would get frustrated.

thats good to here (more difficult to hold slide) because in FM2,apart from the fact there was no support for a decent wheel,drifting exotic machinery like high end supacars was way to easy.Technically, the vein on your forehead should be just about to pop as you go sideways in a Lambo Countach at 100kph!!!hahaha Just the other day I drove my cousins Porch Cayman, and was quite surprised how vigourously i had to work to provoke a slide out of it on a road my R31 Skyline steps out pretty easy.I wont mind if GT5 P frustrates me by being to hard to control some cars.....that's the challenge of driving on the limit:nervous:Besides I dont think I'll get another chance at thashing the cousins Caymen:grumpy:

• How does it feel to have 15 other cars on the track with you in a GT game - is it as good as you always thought it would be?

It's good, but not quite there yet. Because:

• Are the AI all of a similar level of 'skill' or do they come as dumb, dumber and dumberer?

Other than the front 3/4, they're pretty much line astern for the 2 laps. The AI is improved though.

They aren't quite the rolling black holes they used to be (with infinite density and no hope of deviating them even with a JCB), but they certainly don't kill you to death like the used to.

• Are there any peaks in rev levels when running over kerbs or bumps in the road?

Couldn't tell you at the moment - I haven't noticed any, but I've been mostly on the black stuff.

• It feels very good! Overtaking and overtaking and overtaking! :D
  • If you mean compared to each other they are similar. Compared to GT4 they are smarter but less aggressive,
  • Short answer, no. But the grass areas are more slippery so you will spin out easier if you hit the grass.
  • The curbs are very flat and slippery, so the only rev peak would be loss of grip. I don't know if there are any bumps in Suzuka that this can be tested.

It's a lot more fun having 16 cars on the track, but it's what I expected. At the beginning of the race, I sometimes crash or wait for all the cars to go by. Then, I have fun passing by all of them and coming in first before my two laps are over.

Though, the AI is not perfect, and it's far from it, it is improved. However, they still bump you off the road, once in a while, especially if you 'suddenly' get in their way or take the same path they do. I did notice some cars tend to get out of your way more than others. The Mustang never gets out of your way and is the most difficult, all be it, fun to overtake. It's a challenge compared to the other cars.

I hate using the controller, though. The cars still 'twitch' too much when you steer them around. I hate that, but what can you do about it?

Don't worry, you'll love the game. It's a lot of fun! Better than GT4? Maybe, but I need to play the full version to see if that's the case. The only problems I have with it are the graphics, which can look bad to fantastic, and the sounds which are better than GT4, but not by much, IMO.

Oh, I got punted into the grass once, and the revs where high until I got back on the track. But, I believe GT4 is the same way. No other rev spikes, that I can recall.

However, they still bump you off the road, once in a while, especially if you 'suddenly' get in their way or take the same path they do. I did notice some cars tend to get out of your way more than others. The Mustang never gets out of your way and is the most difficult, all be it, fun to overtake.

They are supposed to race, not get out of the way.

Kikie,
Did you even play the GT5 demo of the demo, did u even read all of what I wrote?
If we're not gonna critise/talk both the pros and cons of the game at all, than what's the point of having a forum?
I'm sure u wouldn't like to have GT5 coming out like this, right? Or, are u very satisfied with the demo???

My 2cents,
Even for a demo of a demo...this is by far the Beautifullest and the worst racingdemo I've played yet.

Famine,
U can't be serious about the G25 support on GT5 demo, so u mean that it works nearly as good as in LFS or GTR2 for example? Or on Forza2 with that half as good in quality wanna be wireless wheel...but even there the FFB+Rumble support in the game that effects the player/racing wheel is 10 times better as on in GT5 demo of the demo!

About that it is a demo, is what concerns me... I 4 one will not pay money for the GT5 Prologue if they haven't fix the irritating Break sound, much much better G25 support, much better driving physics, much more depth on car tunings, No Pinball like crashing and a decent Online support.

Now, is that 2 much to ask?

This time around the problem that GT5 is facing is that...now people doesn't have to put up with GT-series or any other racing simulation wanna be games...there are other very good racing games. Even though, I love GT-series but they can't just rely on their Brandname anymore!

You may know I was pretty critical of GT4 along with a few others in this thread, and I was a bit skeptical after watching the videos coming up to this demo but after playing I'm relieved to see an definite improvement.

The physics are a lot closer to the simulation tag GT has been carrying all these years than ever, and while some faults are still there it's much more enjoyable than GT4. As pointed out, brakes no longer save you in corners, and the insane understeer from the flawed tyre physics is no longer present. Weight transition and grip loading/unloading also feel improved, and while the transition from under to oversteer may still need a little tweaking it's a definite positive change.

For flaws in regards to physics I'll quote Famine:

Incidentally, my thoughts:
The physics are improved, but they've leaned a little far into oversteer now - I think the understeer physics are much better, but the cars are a little too happy to step the tail out under braking.

Forza 2 tried this (albeit it oversteered a lot in the first title) and failed, and while this demo's aren't nearly as bad as that game, or it's demo incidentally, it does feel a problem. Whether this is exaggerated because of the low feedback and feel from the DFP is another thing, although that brings me to another minor point - the steering is too sensitive just past dead centre. Minor yes, but can be irritating. Finally I feel countersteering and recovering after you've countersteered is still slightly too hard. While greatly easier than the madness in GT4, it doesn't quite feel "natural" - too quick to respond I feel, or to let go.

Overall, very pleased and very positive looking ahead to Prologue's release this year.

Downloaded all the GT-TV stuff (didnt take that long) and it looks like there will be alot of neat stuff to come in the future.

Just wondering, how do you delete the ones you have downloaded? :confused:

Robin

Downloaded all the GT-TV stuff (didnt take that long) and it looks like there will be alot of neat stuff to come in the future.

Just wondering, how do you delete the ones you have downloaded? :confused:

Robin
I have not tried it yet, but I suspect there is a delete option in the demo menus.

It's an interesting way of dealing with copy-protected video. Basically, by only being able to download, view, and delete the content through the game, they can do a slightly better job of keeping the casual video pirates from copying and distributing the content. Although, in this day and age, you know it wont be long before someone "cracks the code", but better this than not offering it all, out of fear from piracy.

There's added value with this Demo's two modes. (classic and simulation)

Here's why,
I have my friends over often that like to try out my simulator at home.
babyonchairax1.jpg

:dopey::)

jessidriving02gx6.jpg

I think by having two modes of play, classic mode and simulation mode, is a great idea in delivering a wide range of experience to different drivers and driving styles.

Famine,
U can't be serious about the G25 support on GT5 demo

Why not?

It turns as you turn, and you can change gears with the flappy paddles, the gearstick in tiptronic or the gearstick in an H-gate pattern. It wibbles when you run over things.

The only thing you can't do is mash the clutch pedal - though you can if you want to, it has no effect.

I'm not seeing it as something to get worked up about in a free 730Mb demo of a preview of a game.

so u mean that

My words are my words. They have no hidden meaning that you are required to decipher.

as good as in LFS

Full price full release.

Full price full release.

Or on Forza2

Full price full release.

Or, are u very satisfied with the demo???
Yep, I'm very satisfied with this demo.
It's free, it's a DEMO, it's a game in progress. So there is no need to criticise, because it's a DEMO, nothing more. When the final game arrives, criticise all you want but don't criticise a demo. Like Famine already stated, it's only 736 mb. You can't expect to get a perfect game that is that small (=> megabites, that is). PD is still working on the game (=GT5), so why criticise something that isn't even finished yet.

:)

Yep, I'm very satisfied with this demo.
It's free, it's a DEMO, it's a game in progress. So there is no need to criticise, because it's a DEMO, nothing more. When the final game arrives, criticise all you want but don't criticise a demo. Like Famine already stated, it's only 736 mb. You can't expect to get a perfect game that is that small (=> megabites, that is). PD is still working on the game (=GT5), so why criticise something that isn't even finished yet.

:)
I agree. It's good to give some criticism since PD needs to know where to improve, but to go all out saying PD should have done more with the graphics, gameplay etc and dislike the demo because of it really need to get into their heads what you just said - it is just a demo of a preview of the final game. PD have several stages of development to go yet, and frankly, I think they have done a great job so far! :)

G.T
I agree. It's good to give some criticism since PD needs to know where to improve, but to go all out saying PD should have done more with the graphics, gameplay etc and dislike the demo because of it really need to get into their heads what you just said - it is just a demo of a preview of the final game. PD have several stages of development to go yet, and frankly, I think they have done a great job so far! :)

I 3rd! I love this demo!

I bet this has been asked before.....how do you unlock the lexus and the mazda???

this thread is too looong to search for the answer

Back