10/20/2007 Demo

• Thread starter M5_dude
  • 897 comments
Is it that hard to accept that the GT5 demo has some serious simulation issiues?
When the Forza2 came out, I praised the pros but didn't left out the cons and I must say that the forumites on xboxsite were more understanding than glorifying the cons...they didn't play blind! They saw what was bad in the game and we could discuss it without any problems.

Seems like, part of the forumites here can't see/wan't see what's bad with this demo. The only thing I can read is that The GT5 demo is FREE, wow...than we all better be shutup and keep the cons for ourselves.
More than 500 posts and you haven't read a single negative about the demo? Pull the other one. I've posted some myself.
Sakeboots, while you are at it, pull my leg too, as I and many others have also pointed out negative issues with the demo.

Considering that you, like another similar sounding participant in this and other GT5:P threads have apparently concluded that just because we have said positive things about the GT5:P demo, that even though we have also said negative things, that doesn't count for anything, and that unless we only point out the negative, and exaggerate those negatives, we are some how biased GT forumites??? 👎

G.T
To be blunt, if you dislike the demo so much, just delete it. It was your choice to download it for free, so you can delete it and wait until the full completed game is released that should supply fixes and more for most of these issues.
BTW: Apparently PD is already making updates for the Demo. Now that has to be a first! Also a reminder of how much better gaming is now with easy to do software/firmware updates as bugs get fixed and features get added. 👍

It looks like the fine folks at PD are listening. The contrast level has be reduced. I don't have super dark areas, and super bright areas anymore. I can actually see the dashboard, now. Shadows look better, but not with every car. Mirrors have been improved, too. Horizontal line crawl for some parts of the game as been tamed, but not concurred.

So, the game looks a little better, depending what you like or hated before the obvious change.

Keep the fine tuning coming, PD! Oh, and thanks for listening!
I noticed a difference as well. Mostly the white line crawl on the lines of the car has been reduced. The Dash lighting is better now even in the shadows. Overall the game still has all the earmarks of a early build, but it's nice to see not only does it appear to be quite easy to fix these problems they don't mind doing it.

PD makes great racing games
Solid Lifters and Earth, thanks for the update. I love how the demo is being "improved" as it sits in everyone's PS3 memory. That's just sick.

I also wonder if car manufacturers are going to see the value of having "unveiling" promotions on GT5:P/GT5 whenever they have a high profile new model coming out, as we are seeing with the new cars from Nissan, Subaru, and others. With software updates, this is certainly possible... as already seen in the GT5:P demo of all things. 👍👍

i noticed a slight improvement also.

on another note, did anyone else miss the hud on the video shown a few posts back?

I'm pretty sure something about the graphics has changed. The white crawl that appears along the outlines of the cars appears to be dramaticly reduced from where it was before they covered up the Nissan GTR. It's down to a point now where it doesn't distract from the graphics.

Also, at least in the Daihstsu, the guages appear to be brighter in the shadows.

Can anyone confirm what me and SOLID_LIFTERS are seeing? Do you see any other changes? You may need a HDTV to see these differences, though

BTW: Apparently PD is already making updates for the Demo. Now that has to be a first! Also a reminder of how much better gaming is now with easy to do software/firmware updates as bugs get fixed and features get added. 👍
Yeah, that was unexpected... I presumed they would get a few issues fixed ready for the Prologue release instead. Updating on the fly is even better.

Haven't seen a discussion/explanation on this issue yet, but when I booted the demo today the main menu indicated there was new content in the GT-TV area. I was quite excited to see this but when I tried to access any of the 3 channels a failure pop up of some sort was displayed. As I don't read Japanese I don't know what it said but I am guessing through some sort of server check it determined my PS3 was not in the Japanese region and therefore I was prevented from accessing the content. Can anyone verify is this deduction is correct?

Haven't seen a discussion/explanation on this issue yet, but when I booted the demo today the main menu indicated there was new content in the GT-TV area. I was quite excited to see this but when I tried to access any of the 3 channels a failure pop up of some sort was displayed. As I don't read Japanese I don't know what it said but I am guessing through some sort of server check it determined my PS3 was not in the Japanese region and therefore I was prevented from accessing the content. Can anyone verify is this deduction is correct?

is your gt-r covered? if it is, your ps3 is connecting to japan base just fine.

The GT-R has been covered up ready for the unveiling.

(If this has been noticed, then I'm sorry).

Anyways, I really love this now, its unbelieveable how much better it is than GT4. Really enjoyable, especially when flying through 130R (I think thats what its called). The 135i Coupe has iDrive as well. Wonderful detailing like that really sets GT apart from other similar games.

Whether the physics are realistic or not, I have no idea. Whether they're better than Forza's, I still have no idea, but I enjoy it far more than FM2.

I admit, I haven't read all the pages here. I sure don't have the time either...but the last pages contains for the most of how well the demo is, and I wonder if we are talking about the same demo.

G25 support, I'm sure that the Clutchsupport will be there in GT5...must be, my concern is more about the FFB+Rumble I got from the wheel compared to LFS, RFactor, Forza2 it is not at all optimized.

Famine,
About the Crash physics and driving good how will this help me for the Visuall on what I see happens on my screen is nothing other than Pinballgaming with cars?
Do you rather drive better without crashing so PD doesn't have to implement real crash physics?
You never make misstakes while racing?

I might be a little to perfectionist, I want the games that I like, that I paid a lot of money for (surround system, playseat, wheels etc. etc.) to be fair and wanna get good value back. I know that there isn't the perfect racing game, but not like this either, I am dissapointed in the demo.

Just glad that there are other good racing games on the market, so the waiting time for GT5 want feel that much :)

Is anyone playing with a manual gearbox?

Does the drivers hands move to change gears? Or is it just the same as auto and its a detail left out?

is your gt-r covered? if it is, your ps3 is connecting to japan base just fine.

Yes the GT-R is covered.

So I go back into GT-TV just to double check and now it is downloading the first video just fine. So cool 👍, apparently there was some other connection issue the pop-up was trying to inform me about.

They changed more than just the cover on the GT-R? I'm about to head out, so I don't have time to play it at the moment, but I did boot it up to see the covered car. But I didn't see the game download anything, and I'm not on the quickest connection. Whatever they changed, they apparently did it in an amazingly small file.

I'll take a closer look at it when I get home. :)

I know the two covered cars will be released in the next couple of days but what about the other two that just have locks but no covers? Do we have to wait till thursday or whenever to get them too? thanks

Well, I think it's better if anyone complaining/commenting on the physics of the demo should first explain themselve about their real life driving experience, if they're not already well known to be a real driver/racer/tester/etc.

For me, I've been competing in gymkhana for about 2+years. I do track days about 4 times a year. I drive a Subaru Impreza. Don't get me wrong, I'm still learning and still have a long way to go. I have a somewhat limited racing game experience. Recent ones I've tried other than GT were Dirt, Sega Rally and Ridge Racer. So I'm just comparing it to my real life experience only.

In real life, I've tried slick tires once, so I won't comment much on R tires. What I know, from reading, is that it's suppose to be less forgiving since the grip level drop dramatically when you make mistakes. It doesn't seem to be that way in the game. Seems easy to drive for me.

I think S2 and S3 tires = soft compound. I have no experience with soft compound so I won't comment much either. I think N2, N3, and S1 is close to what we have on our cars and that's what I use as a basis for my comment here.

I think the new physic is quite good. They're on the right track judging from the first demo to this one. You have to be more accurate with all the inputs. Steering, braking and accel. Most people who complain about oversteer must be from driving the BMW. It's a heavy car with big power. It's suppose to be that way. I think there are still a lot of understeer, if not more than before. Braking is more difficult.

I think what PD is aiming for is accuracy. They will not exaggerate. But I think they know how to balance. Because it is also not a good idea to have 100% accuracy. Imagine controlling a race car with only your eyes and ears. Impossible! You need to feel the G-force! It wouldn't be playable!

It would be nice if different cars has different force feedback and steering ratio. But with updatable patches, I'm sure they'll get to it. :)

The only thing that bothers me a bit is the ABS. OK, the wheel doesn't lock (and loose 30% traction), but the car doesn't turn. If you slam on the brake in real life and then turn the steering wheel, the car will not stop but it will turn. The more you turn, the longer the distance. But it will turn. It the game, it keeps going straight. Maybe this has to do with the braking value they put in the game. Obviously, if it's 100% brake, the car will not turn b/c the front tires already use all of its traction. I'm also not sure if they have linked steering input value into ABS, says 100% brake when no steering and 90% brake with 10 degree of steering and so on.

And I think the way they implement the ABS is also different. This maybe the reason the the tire noise we're hearing. ABS in real life, is a trial and error. The control unit would detect a lock up then reduce the brake pressure and then increase again until it detect another lock up, and repeat. So you'd hear the on/off/on/off tire noise. VS in the game, seems like the ideal amount of braking is predetermind. You will not have the trial and error process. So the tire noise is constant.

Just watch any of the recent Best Motoring videos, that how ABS reacts with turning the wheel at 100kph with the brake pedal mashed! As for the demo, I havent played it so i cannot comment but from Orujis post 👍 it seems it wont let u turn with full braking applied IE some kind of NON ABS lock up?????.
As for my driving/racing experiance......I've lapped the Ring in a rental E200 manual Mercedes , thrashed a rental Camaro V8 auto all over the States, done a few track days at Wakefeild Circuit in Australia and basicly had a mispent youth terrorizing the Sydney streets in daily drivers ranging from 6 cylinder Falcon company cars to a Bridgeported RX3.(Illegal drags/burnouts/drifting) I currently Drive a R31 gts-x Skyline and my weekender is a 68 HK Monaro.I also do not claim to be King Dingaling for driving.....But I do know how a car should behave on the limit.Bring on GT5 with proper physics!!!, if only to get me off the streets and to try and save my licence:)

Someone, perhaps the same RocketPunch who has posted several times in this topic, placed a link to a GT5 Prologue Demo: In Car Multiview + G25 demo video on GameFAQS.

Here is the link in case my attempt to embed a YouTube video didn't work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh2_kF_2l2U

i've been watching this video and i realised that the driver wasnt ever shifting more then 4th gear... well i dont know what gear ratio that beemer has, but i mean in the 2nd lap he was slip streaming the NSX and you gain some speed and still stuck in 4th gear?

anybody could update me on that please:)

Another little thing: I noticed that cars create a lot of smoke when putting 2 wheels next to the road. I really like that. I would be even more pleased to see a lot of smoke if someone locked up their brakes. It should create a large cloud of white smoke and maybe stay there for half a minute or so.
Btw, I haven't seen any locking up of the brakes in any of the vids...

That's because the cars have some kind of ABS .

:)

But also because the PS3 isnt as powerful as many would wish. It's the most powerful console avalible today, but to keep smoke for half a minute would lag down gameplay a lot.

I admit, I haven't read all the pages here. I sure don't have the time either...but the last pages contains for the most of how well the demo is, and I wonder if we are talking about the same demo.
That is what many of us wonder. People are complaining that the physics are the same as GT4, but after playing both games last night I can guarantee that even the arcade physics are much improved.

G25 support, I'm sure that the Clutchsupport will be there in GT5...must be, my concern is more about the FFB+Rumble I got from the wheel compared to LFS, RFactor, Forza2 it is not at all optimized.
I believe there have been comments, including myself, saying that the FFB response is weak.

I might be a little to perfectionist, I want the games that I like, that I paid a lot of money for (surround system, playseat, wheels etc. etc.) to be fair and wanna get good value back. I know that there isn't the perfect racing game, but not like this either, I am dissapointed in the demo.
Good thing this demo is free then.

I think the problem is that you appear to be making your final decision regarding the full game based on this demo, despite how many people are trying to tell you that it is just a demo and not a proper representation of the final game. The only reasoning you seem to have is that the Forza 2 demo was more complete.

Allow me to explain this: There are two types of game demos. The first is what you see just before a game goes on sale. This is usually a full game demo that just limits what you can or cannot do. In some cases it is still based on teh unfinished product but shows off enough.

The second is what we have here, an early-build demo. This is a demo that shows off what has been done so far but is in no way a representation of the final game, because there isn't anything remotely close to a final game. You complain about the FFB or lack of clutch on your G25. Have you ever read hands-on reviews for early-build demos? They will almost always say something about how the controls weren't perfect because final development is still a year off. This is common for a demo of this kind. You should be glad that you even have the demo as these are usually only shown to press at media events.

So I go back into GT-TV just to double check and now it is downloading the first video just fine. So cool 👍, apparently there was some other connection issue the pop-up was trying to inform me about.
Mine did that too, an error on the first try and then it worked from then on.

i've been watching this video and i realised that the driver wasnt ever shifting more then 4th gear... well i dont know what gear ratio that beemer has, but i mean in the 2nd lap he was slip streaming the NSX and you gain some speed and still stuck in 4th gear?

anybody could update me on that please:)
I noticed I had to start closing in on 200 (180-190?) before I would go into 5th, but I do know in some points it was just more beneficial to hold it in fourth instead of shifting up and then back down a second later as you brake. He could be doing that.

I noticed I had to start closing in on 200 (180-190?) before I would go into 5th, but I do know in some points it was just more beneficial to hold it in fourth instead of shifting up and then back down a second later as you brake. He could be doing that.

big thanks to you FoolKiller for answering my question... since no one else did:grumpy:

anyways, you said that you would be able to shift into 5th at 200km/h. the start finish straight and the back straight for sure make it able to break the 200km/h barrier in a 135i BMW.

once again, please correct me if i'm wrong :)

Every now and then the demo crashes during Loading of the race (after the race menu, while all the opponents' cars are shown and at the bottom LOADING is flashing. All I can do is exit the game through the PS3 button, which results in a PS3 reboot. I have on no other forum or game site read about this problem...
It is clearly a bug (thats what early demo's are for, like beta testing), but I can also find no place to report bugs to PD. Maybe someone here knows how.

big thanks to you FoolKiller for answering my question... since no one else did:grumpy:

anyways, you said that you would be able to shift into 5th at 200km/h. the start finish straight and the back straight for sure make it able to break the 200km/h barrier in a 135i BMW.

once again, please correct me if i'm wrong :)
OK, I just went back and rewatched the video. I was getting into 5th on the front straight and contemplating it on the back straight, but I was in R3 tires. He is using S1 tires, so he is probably not getting the same speed out of the turns that I was.

Also, I noticed that on his second lap on the front straight you actually see him go to shift and then pull back as he approaches the right hander. Then in both straights if you listen to the engine, it is whining pretty loudly and sounds like he had it pushing red line. So, he could have gone into 5th, but he would have just had to shift back down and his hands would have gotten very busy going into a turn at those speeds. I am betting that he just chose not to.

It is clearly a bug (thats what early demo's are for, like beta testing), but I can also find no place to report bugs to PD. Maybe someone here knows how.
It is my understanding that when ever a game crashes, or the PS3 locks up, "black box" data is sent to Sony for analysis. This is how they are able to quickly spot serious problems and bugs, and work on fixes that can them be made with system and game updates. 👍

If you already have a PS3 account, you need to use a different e-mail address for the new account.

Back