10/20/2007 Demo

• Thread starter M5_dude
  • 897 comments
1 quick note, I think the sense of speed appears to be lacking because the road is just 1 big texture. There isn't tire marks, or imperfections of any kind to speed by to measure you're speed. When you drive down the highway you have the little white dotted lines to give you an idea of how fast you're going. In this demo if you look at the catch fence you can tell you're moving fast but the road gives you no indication of speed.

Robin//////
Also why cant there be a way to pan round the car (tilt your head) like in other games so you can look around the dash while driving?

If you have a DFP you can press right or left on the D-Pad to look the left or right inside the cockpit.

Robin//////
The track graphics are really poor (well on Suzuka anyway).. its like a HD GT4 version still with cardboard trees and flat spectators! I hope this was just again because its a demo.

It's probably best to reserve judgement about how GT5's tracks will look like until we get to drive on the London City track and Daytona for ourselves

Robin//////
No difference in the AI for me.. when I brake they slam into the back of me at corners.

Kind of like this?

Or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiRq6RwHuOI

Sorry, but if you brake too early and/or too much in front of another car rather it be in a braking zone or a straight you will get hit

In NASCAR 2003 and rFactor you can slam the brakes on as hard as you want in from of someone and you MAY get a slight nudge. How realistic is that?

Now I'm not saying the AI is perfect. PD has fixed them where they will race side by side with you cleanly and they definitly look more lively then GT4, but they still do stupid things at times, even in the Daytona track you can see them bouncing off the wall etc etc.

But the idea they can see you and each other on the track not run you off is great. Hasn't PD said they were going to release AI updates in patches? I can see a patch fixing alot of things along the way. Remember this is PD's first time creating a decent AI, so don't hold your breath expecting them to revolutionize AI

My only recal complaint about the sound is the fact you can't hardly hear the cars from replay when they drive by. Other then that I'm happy. They all sound totally different from each other, and the sounds at least resemble the real cars.

People continue to hold GT5 to these standards.

They want GT5 to

- equal the graphics they've seen in the trailers
- equal the sound of GTR
- equal the physics of Live for Speed
- equal the damage seen in TOCA
- equal the track quality of PGR4
- equal the AI of Race07
- equal the online feature set of Forza 2

Anything less and GT5 has somehow fell short in their eyes.

Unrealistic expectations, and when GT5 doesn't meet those expectations gross exaggerations are used to describe GT5's sound, AI, physics etc. For example, if the sound of the cars doesn't match GTR then it's horrible and sounds like a vacum cleaner. If the physics don't match Live for Speed then they're a slight upgrade from GT4. If the AI doesn't match Race 07 then they are retarded and modeled after 80 grandmas. Those are real exaggerations used in this very thread.

I'm not throwing roses at Gran Turismo or this demo, go a few pages back and look at my full review, there is easily just as much bad written about it as good if not more bad then good.

Sorry, but if you brake too early and/or too much in front of another car rather it be in a braking zone or a straight you will get hit

In NASCAR 2003 and rFactor you can slam the brakes on as hard as you want in from of someone and you MAY get a slight nudge. How realistic is that?

If the AI followed the GT Planet standards they would never get into an accident, if you drove wrong way, straight towards them. They should leave the track and hide behind a house or something. :lol:

BTW am I a fanboy saying this demo is totally awesome? It has everything i could dream of. Realistic driving experience, mind blowing replays, 16 cars on track, cockpit view, great graphics e.t.c. the GT-TV is beyond anything i've seen before.

If the AI followed the GT Planet standards they would never get into an accident, if you drove wrong way, straight towards them. They should leave the track and hide behind a house or something. :lol:
I'm starting to get that impression. I think people are expecting a little too much out of the AI, and they're disappointed when it's not what they want, despite the huge improvements over GT4.

What's going to be funny is when people start racing online. There's going to be a lot MORE bumping and stupid driving with real humans.

I don't get the idea of "testing" the AI by doing crazy things, to see how it will respond. The most effective test I can think of is to simply race. The AI performs much better under normal racing than it does under silly "testing".

Yep, Montoya looks at home in Nascrap.
eek39co.gif

They want GT5 to
- equal the sound of GTR

huh?
eek39co.gif

My main AI concern has been answered. You guy's know that I've been happy to voice my criticisms of GT4's AI and physics (tyre modelling in particular). I'm happy with both in the demo, especially for such an early demo. The AI no longer turns into you every time you take the racing line from them. The tyre's have a much better worked out grip transition from high to low.

I was racing just before in the Evo X and I dived onto the inside of a Clio V6 round the first corner, we were side by side all the way until we exited the second corner. In GT4 I'd have been pushed off the line. The AI isn't flawless, but one of the biggest gripes I've had with it is sorted.

👍

When these critics play online, and perhaps discover that not only do real drivers get into accidents, I suspect some of them may discover they are not quite as good as they thought and may very well be the ones crashing into other cars... and will really miss the AI. ;)

People continue to hold GT5 to these standards.

They want GT5 to

- equal the graphics they've seen in the trailers
- equal the sound of GTR
- equal the physics of Live for Speed
- equal the damage seen in TOCA
- equal the track quality of PGR4
- equal the AI of Race07
- equal the online feature set of Forza 2

Anything less and GT5 has somehow fell short in their eyes.

Unrealistic expectations, and when GT5 doesn't meet those expectations gross exaggerations are used to describe GT5's sound, AI, physics etc. For example, if the sound of the cars doesn't match GTR then it's horrible and sounds like a vacum cleaner. If the physics don't match Live for Speed then they're a slight upgrade from GT4. If the AI doesn't match Race 07 then they are retarded and modeled after 80 grandmas. Those are real exaggerations used in this very thread.
Well said, and currently all we have to go on right now is a very small early demo of Prologue... GT5 is still likely over a year away from completion.

I would also suggest that in some cases even GT5:P demo hints that for many GT5:P may exceed some of those categories already... but as you said, it would be unreasonable to judge GT5:P let alone GT5 based on just this early demo.[/QUOTE]

I had so much fun on this, this afternoon! I decided to trash a EVO with racing tires on with all aids turned off. It was great fun.

Even when I took the car too far and catapulted myself off the track, when I returned onto the track a Mustang was coming up along the track, I pulled unexpectdly back onto the track, the Mustang slammed his brakes on, like how a human would react. He didn't hit me but that was because I'd already pulled away.

It was great fun, I really am seeing the differences between this and GT4 now, in terms of physics and A.I. 👍

I was right. I just watched an official GT5p video and like I thought, the cars are narrow and not right proportioned (?).

I was right. I just watched an GT5p official video and like I thought, the cars are narrow and not right proportioned (?).
Sounds like some sort of conflict with the aspect ratio, like trying to display a 16:9 image on a 4:3 TV. What kind of TV do you have?

Sounds like some sort of conflict with the aspect ratio, like trying to display a 16:9 image on a 4:3 TV.

Or you're using a 16:10 monitor. I'm doing exactly that and the cars are too tall, because the monitor is too tall for the screenmode.

(I'm not complaining - although it would be nice to have 16:10 support - this 19" Dell monitor was only 160 quid with HDCP support to last me until I can get a 1080p TV)

I have not come across a 16x10 monitor that doesn't allow the user to set the display area for incoming video signals to 16:9... the main point of 16x10 displays is for video editing, so you have the bottom or top area of the screen for the editing tools without blocking the 16x9 images being editted. I suggest taking a closer look at your user manuals to learn how to change the display settings from "fill" to "pass through"... all though manuals will often use different kinds of terminology to explain the same thing.

thx for answering my question DarthTurismo.

Ok it all looks good then. If only that anoying tire screetch could be replaced by something a bit more realistic...

Watch the video preview of Fuji

The track looks great. The rumble strips look much better than Suzuka's rumble strips. They look look very sharp, very 3-D and not 2-D like Suzuka's. Overall it looks much 'further along' then Suzuka, but I think I'm being too hard on Suzuka, the track looks great from some replay angles but not so much from inside the car.

Also the preview of the photo mode is unbelieveably real and gorgeous. Easily mistakeable for real life. I can picture a real person walking around and not looking out of place. It's THAT good looking.

Wow, just wow. The more I look at this game the better it looks. What excites me is that PD still has quite some time to perfect the flaws

A Samsung SyncMaster 245B, 24", 1900x1200, Full HDCP.

Yeah, i was planning on buying that monitor untill i learned of that same problem. (that basicly the scaler intervenes for 1080p and just scales it to 1200p.)
Sadly there's no fix for this unless samsung releases a firmware update to solve this, if not then you're out of luck i'm afraid.

Kind of defeats the purpose of HDCP support for anything other than windows vista output by doing this.

Yeah, i was planning on buying that monitor untill i learned of that same problem. (that basicly the scaler intervenes for 1080p and just scales it to 1200p.)
Sadly there's no fix for this unless samsung releases a firmware update to solve this, if not then you're out of luck i'm afraid.

Kind of defeats the purpose if HDCP support for anything other than windows vista output by doing this.
That's what I thought. That's why I mentioned the resolution. Now I'm sure tanks to your answer.

But why don't I have any probelms with DiRT? This evening, I tried GT5p demo on 720p and everything looked the same, narrow, short, disproportioned cars.

I am playing the game on a Dell 24" monitor and have no problems with getting a 16:9 image. I just select the option on the monitor to keep the correct aspect ratio. I get a full 16:9 (with a black line top and bottom) on 720 or 1080. The screen was set up for my 360 so using the PS3 was a straight plug-in (had I not been trying initially to run via the HDMI with a conversion to DVI).

I have not come across a 16x10 monitor that doesn't allow the user to set the display area for incoming video signals to 16:9... the main point of 16x10 displays is for video editing, so you have the bottom or top area of the screen for the editing tools without blocking the 16x9 images being editted. I suggest taking a closer look at your user manuals to learn how to change the display settings from "fill" to "pass through"... all though manuals will often use different kinds of terminology to explain the same thing.

Yeah, you're making him chase a wild goose, it's confirmed that this monitor sadly doesn't have any other option for displaying 1080p, it always stretches the video.

"Input wise, you get an HDCP compliant DVI port and an analogue D-SUB, and that's it. There's no component video input, no HDMI and not even a USB hub. Also, the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping means that even the HDCP support on the DVI port isn't that useful, since any high definition source you connect, such as an HD DVD player or PlayStation 3 will be scaled to the full resolution of the panel."
Source:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review/2007/08/23/Samsung-SyncMaster-245B-24in-Monitor/p4

So wouldn't that be the 23rd in the U.S.?
The 24th in Japan! That's not the 23rd in the US.

Kamus
it's confirmed that this monitor sadly doesn't have any other option for displaying 1080p, it always stretches the video.
It doesn't stretch the images but narrows it.

Thanks for the info Earth :)👍

I still am upset that the drivers hands are glued to the steering wheel and not crossing over and changing gear like in GT4 :indiff:

Can anyone confirm that when you brake early into a corner the AI then slam on the brakes....

I ask because there is a difference between slamming into you because they didnt even respond (bad AI) and slamming into you because they tried but ran out of road...

If they are braking ahead of the designated spot due to cars and chaging circumstances then yes the AI has improved..

Robin

It doesn't stretch the images but narrows it.

Well actually it kinda is, US will get it in the evening of 23rd. I had the Demo downloaded and installed before midnight (in other words 19th) and i live in Europe.

Midday (1200) on 24th October in Japan would be 2200 on 23rd October in New York, or 1700 on 23rd October in LA.

Or thereaboutsish.

Midday (1200) on 24th October in Japan would be 2200 on 23rd October in New York, or 1700 on 23rd October in LA.

Or thereaboutsish.

To straight it all out:

Greetings Americans :lol:
Start checking for the new cars at 2pm (LA) or 5pm (NY) on October 23rd.

Back