10/20/2007 Demo

• Thread starter M5_dude
  • 897 comments
Pointless to talk about it? whatever, i'm having fun.
I guess your idea of having fun is posting gross exaggerations, and accusing those you disagree with as being both wrong and biased, all perhaps in order to start endless arguments for which you seem to enjoy being both an instigator and a participant.

Browsing through your short post history on this website at least suggests this is the case as it is an extremely common theme among your posts in this and other threads you have participated on. :irked:

The biggest niggle I had was with the driver not crossing his hands and doing natural steering wheel movements like he did in GT4, also he doesnt do anything when changing gear...... its like his hands are glued to the steering wheel which we see in so many other games... I hope this is just because they havent programmed it yet because its a huge step backwards in the realism dept for me.

Also why cant there be a way to pan round the car (tilt your head) like in other games so you can look around the dash while driving?

The sounds still suck... sounds like a screeching horse or something.. repetitive and has no depth... In forza I liked the way the tires could lock up and slip and the ABS kicked in... In GT the sound of the tires just sounds on a loop..

The track graphics are really poor (well on Suzuka anyway).. its like a HD GT4 version still with cardboard trees and flat spectators! I hope this was just again because its a demo.

No difference in the AI for me.. when I brake they slam into the back of me at corners.

Cant fault the cars and interiors though..... they look really nice.

Its an OK demo but theres not alot of meat there...

Robin

Yeah, lets just cover up the defects in evrything and just point out the nice things!
I have to say I find that quite amusing given one of the points you then follow this up with.

Physics are better?
Yes. But compared to what? GT4? then yes, definitly. However, EPR which is a measly PS2 game still has it beat though, and i wanted to point that out. I really don't care if people are offended by this it's not the point, and i'm not telling you to just forget about GT5 and go buy EPR because it's better, EPR doesn't even offer a quarter of the content that GT4 does and that's just one of it's problems. (the main one is that sadly the game was a marketing failure, and we probably won't ever see a sequel.)
I've highlighted the point in question, simply because you accuse people of ignoring GT5:P demo issues and then come out with this.

A very good number of us here do not believe that EPR is the holy grail of PS2 (or console sims), and that it had more than its own share of 'issues' with reality.

Lets take its complete inability to model terminal understeer, particularly in FWD cars or those with a real-world understeer problem. A classic being the Smart car, I've driven one of these on track and at a proving ground and they have two states of balance grip and full on terror inducing terminal understeer, yet the most EPR will give you is easily recoverable mild understeer. Have a look for the video of The Stig from Top Gear driving one to see exactly what I mean.

Edited to add - Here we go...

last few second show just how well a Smart car actually corners and reacts when you step over the limit.

We then have the full throttle launches with almost zero wheel spin, again a major issue with FWD cars. What about the lack of brake lock-up in straight line braking (EPR and GT4 are almost identical in this area), or the total lack of aero lift at speed (something GT4 did do reasonably) or that they completely screwed up the grip levels of racing tyres, or the unrealistic manner in which wide angle drifts can recovered with almost no consequences (i know the inertia snapback in GT4 is over-done but to make it almost totally non-existent is just as bad).

I can keep going, but simply put if realism were a sliding scale, with the likes of outrun at 0 and the real world at 100, then both GT4 and EPR would be hovering around the 70 mark. Neither gets it right, and when they get it right or wrong they do so in different places. That many prefer EPRs more accurate oversteer does not make EPR more realistic. Hell Richard Burns Rally on the PS2 has a better physics engine than EPR, it just didn't get a worldwide launch and is narrow in its focus.

However to fall in with the majority of the Enthusia 'clan' and wheel it out as the ultimate benchmark (while ignoring its own faults) is no more or less biased than the charge you level at others in your opening comments.

So here we go, I'm going to be the first to say it. Given this brief taste of teh GT5 professional physics model I personally believe it has both the potential and is headed in the right direction to stand out as a truly great physics engine.

Sounds are better? Not really... i don't see any improvements that are obvious to me, but maybe you can take the time to explain to me why you think they are better since you seem so sure of it.
While I know that this was not written in reply to myself, you do seem to be responding only to those comments that you feel you can score points on. Plenty of people on this thread have already go into great detail on this subject. Hell I even did yesterday....

The sounds are also a complete dissapointment, again, it's been 3 generations of hardware. on the PS1 i could understand the crappy sounds and physics, but there's no excuse, not anymore.
One can only hope this is changed by the time GT5 final is released.

While the sounds are not 100% what I would expect they certainly are not crappy, again they have moved on a big way from GT4. What does impress with the sound set-up is the separation, running a descent home cinema its perfectly possible to tell the position of any other car around you simply from its sound.

...regards

Scaff

I remember reading somewhere sometimes ago that GT has ABS on their cars. It doesn't really feel like there's ABS with GT5PD. What do you guys feel?

@ Kamus.

Can you answer these questions?

* Do you have any real life racing experience?

* Are you a sports journalist of some kind that has a column in a car magazine and test cars to write reviews?

* Do you test cars irl?

* Are you an instructor of some kind ==> anti skid instructor, race instructor etc...

* and so one...

If not, than you have no credibility what so ever.

If so, you do have some credibility and people have to take in account what you're talking about.

No offence inteded. :)

At this point, I (and many others on GTP) believe what Scaff has to say. Believe me, he knows what he's talking about.

I remember reading somewhere sometimes ago that GT has ABS on their cars. It doesn't really feel like there's ABS with GT5PD. What do you guys feel?

Oh ABS is most certainly still present on all the cars in the demo, its not as immediatly obvious in terms of feel, as teh six-axis has no rumble. The lack of lock-up, no matter how brutal you are on the brakes, clearly shows that ABS is still present and correct. To be honest that's exactly how it should be for road cars, I just hope that this time around PD give us the option to switch ABS off.

Regards

Scaff

Soooooo..........i was just messing about looking at the manual section of the demo and i came across the GT-TV part. I scrolled down and there is a Ferrari being chased by a Lambo. It might just be a pretty picture they used in the manual or could it possibly be a hint at Lambo's being in the next version of GT? im not saying GT5 - P but maybe, just maybe GT5.

Its most likely nothing and i hate to be the one starting such rumours, however it does seem odd they would use such a car.

Spec....

Soooooo..........i was just messing about looking at the manual section of the demo and i came across the GT-TV part. I scrolled down and there is a Ferrari being chased by a Lambo. It might just be a pretty picture they used in the manual or could it possibly be a hint at Lambo's being in the next version of GT? im not saying GT5 - P but maybe, just maybe GT5.

Its most likely nothing and i hate to be the one starting such rumours, however it does seem odd they would use such a car.

Spec....

Without rechecking, I think thats just a scene from Best Motoring, One of the automotive programs (real life) to feature in GT TV.

FRED SIMÕES;2802160
I already have the demo.

and so does many many thousands of others. :)

Anybody manage to win a race using GTR Black Mask on S2 tires ?(clean race no RAMing and 2wheels on track all time) I didn't :/
My best lap so far on that setting 2:18:656

Without rechecking, I think thats just a scene from Best Motoring, One of the automotive programs (real life) to feature in GT TV.
Yep, I'm certain it's that program too. Doen't mean Lambo will be in GT5 though. We can hope... ;)

this awosme , the AI has really improved I overtook in every way , took outside line the AI took the inside, I took the inside they took the outside , had little bumper action where I braked way to early and got hit from the back

Does anyone know when this demo will be released in Europe? I have the demo already but all this japanese text is annoying not knowing what is what :crazy: I'm not being fussy as its a great demo and the improvements from GT4 are fantastic :cool: ... I'm just curious when we will have a menu in our own native language 👍

I have one tiny flaw I notice and thats when driving with the sixaxis the smallest touch left or right on the dpad is so great that I find myself counter acting every move with an opposite move to stop it going offtrack ... do the wheelers have this issue? I think not probably :P

Anyway its still a great insight into the full game and I think I'm sold on this one like all the rest ;)

Does anyone know when this demo will be released in Europe? I have the demo already but all this japanese text is annoying not knowing what is what :crazy: I'm not being fussy as its a great demo and the improvements from GT4 are fantastic :cool: ... I'm just curious when we will have a menu in our own native language 👍

I really dont think it will come out anywhere else, well not atleast for a month or so because this is ment to be a special Tokyo Motor Show tie in for Japan only. Look how long it took GT4 Prologue to end up in Europe.

Theres not too many menus...heres the link for the translation thread.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=99237

Robin

In the videos I noticed that you still 'bounce off' a car when you hit one. In GT4 it didn't feel natural. When something like that happens you should (almost) lose control of your car. Has it improved in any way in this prologue demo?

this awosme , the AI has really improved I overtook in every way , took outside line the AI took the inside, I took the inside they took the outside , had little bumper action where I braked way to early and got hit from the back

I think pd have addressed some of the fundamental flaws of previous versions of their AI like trying their hardest to avoid hitting you (most of the time) and changing their line if u attack a turn on the inside but i have noticed areas that have been missed such as

ai cars going off the road and then just pulling straight out in front of another ai car and taking it out.....

there is still something too clinical about the way they steer brake etc....

the ai drivers lack personality.... it is very very easy to see which car is human driven in any replay.....

and obviously because of the hardness setting or lack there of... they are not pushing hard enough (yet) :)

can this ever be addressed?? i always keep my hopes up :indiff:

FRED SIMÕES;2802219
My demo is in Black and White, why? I have done all the correct way, I created a Japanese Account and then downloaded the demo.
You probably have an older PAL TV that doesn't understand 60Hz NTSC signal. I have the very same problem.

You probably have an older PAL TV that doesn't understand 60Hz NTSC signal. I have the very same problem.

Yeah, and there is no solution for that problem? I have to have the PS3 connected to the Internet during the game? Becuase it's one of the first question that appears me when the game is starting, or at least I think it's something like that...

One thing i think people should remember is that this demo is just 700 MBs so I'm sure PD has cut a lot of corners to get this demo out

In the videos I noticed that you still 'bounce off' a car when you hit one. In GT4 it didn't feel natural. When something like that happens you should (almost) lose control of your car. Has it improved in any way in this prologue demo?

it has changed for gt5p........ if u hit them at high speed while cornering they will almost always go off the road :) however u still mostly recover ok which is not as realistic!! and at lower speeds they barely budge..... but at least there is definate improvement in that area.....

I'm still having problems with the "proportion" of the cars. They look narrow, short and high. PS3 settings ==> 1080p.

Pictures as proof (or everything is alright and it's all in my mind).

Can you look at the photos and give me your opinion?!

Thanks

:)

Back