2013 Nissan GT-R Nismo

• Thread starter Gunma36
  • 267 comments
Not a knock against the Nismo, but GM should never have put a supercharger (of its type) on a car designed for track work. Once that blower heats up, it's game over. Also, the car doesn't have near the weight advantage the C6 did.

The really sad thing is the C7 Z and the C6 Z trap about the same mph in the 1/4. Where is that 150hp going?

I think it means 500hp & 3,000lbs is about as good as it gets for a 2wd road car. :lol:

And when I watch this (which I do frequently) you have to wonder why anyone needs more than 300?

And when I'm backing my 2 into a tight first gear corner and the back starts coming around, I start wondering why more people can't be happy with 100hp. I've had my car 3 years, and I still find it hilariously fun. 100hp. 6250rpm screaming Hail Marys.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a global gentleman's agreement to cap (mainstream) power at 500? I wonder what sort of wonderful and weird things would come out of that? (Just think of the K car rules and the oddities like the Beat and AZ-1, or the creative chassis systems born out of the 280ps rule. Super-HICAS!!)

/strainingly tangential thoughts.

Just came back from Corvette forums. "Outraged and gobsmacked" are the words that describe the mood there right now :lol: Honestly speaking, I didn't expect this outcome either despite of being big GT-R fan.

tumblr_m3h3jwHbOi1qj26eao1_400.gif

I think it means 500hp & 3,000lbs is about as good as it gets for a 2wd road car. :lol:

And when I watch this (which I do frequently) you have to wonder why anyone needs more than 300?

And when I'm backing my 2 into a tight first gear corner and the back starts coming around, I start wondering why more people can't be happy with 100hp. I've had my car 3 years, and I still find it hilariously fun. 100hp. 6250rpm screaming Hail Marys.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a global gentleman's agreement to cap (mainstream) power at 500? I wonder what sort of wonderful and weird things would come out of that? (Just think of the K car rules and the oddities like the Beat and AZ-1, or the creative chassis systems born out of the 280ps rule. Super-HICAS!!)

Oh, driving my old 1.0L Charade was awesome rowing the gear lever up all 5 gears before the next stop light. 👍

According to the tinfoil hats at Corvette Forums, Nismo engineers flashed the ECU remotely from an ipad during MT's test.. :lol:

Just came back from Corvette forums. "Outraged and gobsmacked" are the words that describe the mood there right now :lol: Honestly speaking, I didn't expect this outcome either despite of being big GT-R fan.
It's suicide watch over there. What's really lame is sending all the relevant C7Z06 performance topics into the off topic - other cars section...:rolleyes:

Gotta say I was pretty surprised by the results, I thought it would be the 650s fastest then the Z06 barely edging out the Nismo.

This really shows how we're reaching the power limits of street tires on rear wheel drive cars, especially front engined ones.

From the lap you could definitely see the GT-R was able to start pulling out of the corner well before the Z06. The first long corner has the Z06 holding a higher steady state cornering speed, but the GT-R starts accelerating out about a second earlier.

Man, the Z06 really did die on the straights :ouch: And GT-R just leaped out from the corners whereas Corvette was skittish despite of the downforce, tires etc etc..

the aero added to the NISMO adds a maximum of 220lbs more downforce ( at 186mph) but the trick here is it doesnt add any drag ( still .26 like the standard GTR) what is the Z06 like .37? and I wonder if that is before or after the wickerbill spoiler

I also wonder if the supercharger heating up cost the Corvette some power. I'm guessing Pobst does several hot laps at a time so it stands to reason that the heat soak would get pretty harsh.

Yeah, but if it overheats in the winter of SoCal when temps are around 80F, imagine how bad it is in the summer..

I also wonder if the supercharger heating up cost the Corvette some power. I'm guessing Pobst does several hot laps at a time so it stands to reason that the heat soak would get pretty harsh.

in the comments section of the MT article the editor stated the 1:27 the Z06 ran was its very first "Hot" lap which proved to be its best

Just imagine what the GTR would do with Michelin PS Cup 2 tires and carbon ceramic breaks. The margin would be close to 3 seconds.

in the comments section of the MT article the editor stated the 1:27 the Z06 ran was its very first "Hot" lap which proved to be its best

Seems like a sign to me. The rest of the laps might have been done at a power disadvantage. Pretty rare for a first hot lap to be the fastest.

Just imagine what the GTR would do with Michelin PS Cup 2 tires and carbon ceramic breaks. The margin would be close to 3 seconds.

It's already the more expensive car.

downforce
What downforce? The Z06 suffers from a typically American aerodynamic solution which can work at lower speeds but is inefficient at high speeds. Large spoilers like the NASCAR style monstrosity on this car produce massive drag which will indeed create stability but at the cost of efficiency. The Corvette doesn't even need a spoiler, really - the camber of the roofline is shallow enough to maintain laminar flow all the way back. In this application, especially at high speed, the spoiler is just acting as a wall for air to run into. A simple wing could produce more actual negative lift with much less drag. There's a reason the Viper TA 2.0 eschewed the tall spoiler and replaced it with a wing. The ultimate solution is an adjustable wing like you see on various supercars. Why don't they use spoilers? Because they're an inefficient solution.

It's already the more expensive car.

and that has been my response to everyone who complained about the NISMO costing more. what they dont get is yes it starts at 150K but the Z06 is much better equipped with ceramic brakes cup tires.. it weighs less and has more power.

the 45K ( 58K with exhaust option) the NISMO costs more than the Z06 is more because the way the car was bult than 50K more go fast parts. the aero parts stand alone from including the full carbon(kevlar too) bumpers is about $60K. they save only 30lbs of total weight. but NISMO insisted on using those materials produced in a certain way. the 13K exhaust option saves 15lbs of weight and adds 0 HP. but its the bespoke craftsman ship they are after. so the NISMO price is inflated partial reasons beyond just performance. thats why the aruegment of the 50K more expensive car should have won goes out the window. that and the fact that the NISMO beat the Mclaren 650S spyder the same day on the same track and it costs $351K

case in point in Japan there is a new model this year called the Track Edition Engineered by NISMO. it takes a regular black edition and adds the NISMO wheels tires suspension and bonded chassis and forgoes all the carbon and the Turbos. this car is in the 120K's it wouldnt be as fast at the NISMO because it is down 55hp but I think it would still would come in somewhere in between the NISMO and the Z06

Last edited:
[...] what is the Z06 like .37?

Excuse me but what the 🤬 guys? My daily driver is a Volvo 940 estate and everyone knows that those things are shaped like bricks, and its drag coefficient is usually quoted to be 0.36 - and it can already be felt at around 120 km/h that pushing that medieval stone church through air is taking its toll. How a modern day sports/supercar manages a similar figure is beyond my understanding.

Excuse me but what the 🤬 guys? My daily driver is a Volvo 940 estate and everyone knows that those things are shaped like bricks, and its drag coefficient is usually quoted to be 0.36 - and it can already be felt at around 120 km/h that pushing that medieval stone church through air is taking its toll. How a modern day sports/supercar manages a similar figure is beyond my understanding.

Because you're ignoring that drag is a byproduct of many of the methods we use to create downforce. Some methods like undertrays create less drag, but the major methods like wings and canards produce a lot of drag in order to achieve high downforce. Many race cars have very high drag coefficients.

If heaksoak isn't to blame for the straight line performance, active aero could seriously work in the Corvette's favor. It's about the only option when you've got huge horsepower in a rear wheel drive car.

Also remember that this is a drag coefficient so the frontal area of the car comes into play. This is why a Honda Insight is more aerodynamic as a car than a Tesla Model S even though the Tesla has a lower Cd.

and that has been my response to everyone who complained about the NISMO costing more. what they dont get is yes it starts at 150K but the Z06 is much better equipped with ceramic brakes cup tires.. it weighs less and has more power.

the 45K ( 58K with exhaust option) the NISMO costs more than the Z06 is more because the way the car was bult than 50K more go fast parts. the aero parts stand alone from including the full carbon(kevlar too) bumpers is about $60K. they save only 30lbs of total weight. but NISMO insisted on using those materials produced in a certain way. the 13K exhaust option saves 15lbs of weight and adds 0 HP. but its the bespoke craftsman ship they are after. so the NISMO price is inflated partial reasons beyond just performance. thats why the aruegment of the 50K more expensive car should have won goes out the window. that and the fact that the NISMO beat the Mclaren 650S spyder the same day on the same track and it costs $351K

Of course. This Nissan and the Corvette aren't exactly direct competitors. One is going to be a popular trim level for thousands of buyers, the other is a limited edition engineer's wet dream. I would guess that Motortrend was expecting closer track performance between the cars since they're the latest breed of giant killers.

This NISMO is an interesting middle ground between the traditional GT-R and Corvette level of mass produced performance and the grown-ups table of high end super cars. I think they were smart about where they added the really sexy bits of kit and where they left the mass produced parts to keep costs down.

case in point in Japan there is a new model this year called the Track Edition Engineered by NISMO. it takes a regular black edition and adds the NISMO wheels tires suspension and bonded chassis and forgoes all the carbon and the Turbos. this car is in the 120K's it wouldnt be as fast at the NISMO because it is down 55hp but I think it would still would come in somewhere in between the NISMO and the Z06

And this would probably be a better comparison to the Z06, but oh well.

THAT GUY WAS ON A SUICIDE MISSION

Back