2017 F1 Pre SeasonFormula 1 

• Thread starter RX-7_FD3S
  • 386 comments
If you like insider stuff, go to Lewis instagram he posted a couple of short video there (well his social media manager did).

According To autosport, a broken exhaust is stopping force India. They haven't been out in the afternoon yet. Meanwhile, Vettel is the first driver to hit 100 laps, after Mercedes being the first car to hit that mark. Not bad for "brand new" engines.

I was positively surprised that mclaren managed to get the car back up and running with enough time left for Alonso to get a handful of laps under his belt. All in all it's been a typical first day of testing. Mercedes running like clockwork while a lot of the other teams struggle with various gremlins in the machinery.

A pics that show Mercedes shark fin a bit more :

C5rRDqaWUAAYPLm.jpg

Looks like there is an opening.

@Pezzarinho17 just beat me to it XD

Looks like it could be some kind of F-Duct style wing staller. Quite why we they have DRS, I don't know...

Barcelone Test I - First Day results :

united_kingdom-2.jpg
L. Hamilton Mercedes 1:21.765
s.png
germany-4.jpg
S. Vettel Ferrari 1:21.878
m.png
brazil-2.jpg
F. Massa Williams 1:22.076
s.png
denmark-2.jpg
K. Magnussen Haas 1:23.894
s.png
australia-2.jpg
D. Ricciardo Red Bull 1:22.926
s.png
finland-2.jpg
V. Bottas Mercedes 1:23.169
s.png
mexico-2.jpg
S. Pérez Force India 1:23.709
s.png
spain-2.jpg
C. Sainz Toro Rosso 1:24.494
m.png
germany-4.jpg
N. Hülkenberg Renault 1:24.784
m.png
spain-2.jpg
F. Alonso McLaren 1:24.852
s.png
sweden-2.jpg
M. Ericsson Sauber 1:26.841
m.png

Barcelona Test I - Second day

Drivers :

L. Hamilton - Morning - Mercedes AMG
V. Bottas - Afternoon - Mercedes AMG
K. Raikkonen - Ferrari
M. Verstappen - RBR
E. Ocon - Force India
L. Stroll - Williams
S. Vandoorne - McLaren
D. Kvyat - Toro Rosso
K. Magnussen - Haas
J. Palmer - Renault
A. Giovinazzi - Sauber

3fc9c1e7-6643-4769-815a-54c6a978f2a9_800.jpg

Yeah considering the best time of last year they should be able to run under 1.20 with those car if they want to. I'm guessing they run with quite a lot of fuel too.

It's interesting that Hamilton has produced the fastest time of the day so far at the start of a long run on soft tyres, and it gives us a potential insight into what the Mercedes could be capable with on low fuel. If he did that 1m21.7s with around 80kg of fuel on board that would be worth around 2.4 seconds - so a 21.7s becomes a 19.3s. If he had a race-starting fuel load of closer to 100kg then the potential lap time could be even faster. It's unlikely Mercedes would do a long run like this on a much lower fuel load, as teams need to learn about the tyres when they are under the most stress, and that comes early in a race when the cars are heavy.

Gary Anderson

Monday Speed Trap :

Interesting that RBR is fastest.

Mclaren quite a bit slower too.

They're faster cause they're running less downforce than the others. Newey said they're making sure the main shape of the car works then they'll start testing the more aggressive down force bits.

Gary Anderson
It's interesting that Hamilton has produced the fastest time of the day so far at the start of a long run on soft tyres, and it gives us a potential insight into what the Mercedes could be capable with on low fuel. If he did that 1m21.7s with around 80kg of fuel on board that would be worth around 2.4 seconds - so a 21.7s becomes a 19.3s. If he had a race-starting fuel load of closer to 100kg then the potential lap time could be even faster. It's unlikely Mercedes would do a long run like this on a much lower fuel load, as teams need to learn about the tyres when they are under the most stress, and that comes early in a race when the cars are heavy.

Given that these cars are only fledging right now... who wants to take a punt at the fastest overall Catalunya GP lap (practice, quali or race)?

I'm going to say a 1:17.800 :D

Much like laptimes, take these with an almighty serving of salt. There is no way 242.6 km/h is in anyway representative....

Hey guys want to see something scary

Hamilton teased us there with two purple sectors, but he drops over four seconds in the final sector.

Be nice to know what the final time was, if it was 2 purple sectors, and the fact that the last purple sector he had (just the 1) produced a 1:21.774, means that if we run with that and shave four seconds off @TenEightyOne has a good predicted lap time.

However, since we don't know the actual time, we can't say what it would have been exactly. Still such a pace in a single lap is scary.

EDIT: so it's being said if he had matched his best time on the final sector his time would have been 1:20

Barcelona 2017 - Testing I - Day 2

Midday ranking :

united_kingdom-2.jpg
L. Hamilton Mercedes 1:20.983
ss.png
finland-2.jpg
K. Räikkönen Ferrari 1:22.831
m.png
france-2.jpg
E. Ocon Force India 1:23.045
s.png
denmark-2.jpg
K. Magnussen Haas 1:23.200
s.png
netherlands-2.jpg
M. Verstappen Red Bull 1:23.212
s.png
russia-2.jpg
D. Kvyat Toro Rosso 1:25.012
m.png
canada-2.jpg
L. Stroll Williams 1:26.040
m.png
belgium-2.jpg
S. Vandoorne McLaren 1:26.201
s.png
italy-2.jpg
A. Giovinazzi Sauber 1:33.741
m.png
united_kingdom-2.jpg
J. Palmer Renault 1

A sum up of the day so far
Most people have done some decent running today, but there are some teams in trouble. McLaren has found another reason to change the Honda engine after just 29 laps, which is not a good situation for a team that should be able to come here and be reliable with the engine proved on the dyno before running starts. So McLaren-Honda is playing catch up right from the beginning of testing. You can have a deficit in terms of power or drivability, but the reliability should be sorted well before you come to the track. Renault we only briefly saw before lunch after it had some parts flown in overnight. Whether they are performance bits or recovery bits, I’m not sure. Sauber have also had engine troubles. That shows that all the way down the field, there are still quite a few problems. But the Mercedes has now done over 200 laps in the first day and a half and has the performance as well...

Reminder :

Barcelona Racetrack record (new layout, 2007)

Lap record during a race : 1’21.670 (Kimi Raikkonen, 2008)
Fastest lap lap : 1’19.954 (Rubens Barrichello, 2009,)

Back