2017 F1 Pre SeasonFormula 1 

• Thread starter RX-7_FD3S
  • 386 comments
Just did his first timed lap : 1.23.956

Lets hope for a good day for them... :nervous:

Spy.

Not too bad, considering they're probably running the engine in more or less safe mode. Hoping they'll actually get a productive day today with a good amount of laps on the board.

3 seconds faster than anyone in practice at last year's grand prix. I suspect there's still some left, but a 6-lap run from Bottas, so some way off qualy trim.

Edit: Sky saying he went back in, changed tyres but didn't refuel. Did I see Pirelli claiming an 18 by the end of testing?

from reddit

C5xVTSGWUAIpnwn.jpg

Hello darkness my old friend,

Honda ****ed it up again,

We had a vision of a great season,

It's painted orange for that reason,

But the engine that was planted in our car,

Still won't start,

And our garage - it's silent.

1:19:705 and it is not even race day just training (less stress so may be easier to achieve this?)

That's still far from what's possible. Vettel did a 1:21.609 on Mediums. Mediums are, according to all teams, around 2 seconds slower than the softs in these conditions. Bottas did his 1:19,7 on ultrasofts and was under 1:20 before with the supersofts.

I don't think Mercedes will let the hammer down before Melbourne, just like they did in the last years.

That's still far from what's possible. Vettel did a 1:21.609 on Mediums. Mediums are, according to all teams, around 2 seconds slower than the softs in these conditions. Bottas did his 1:19,7 on ultrasofts and was under 1:20 before with the supersofts.

I don't think Mercedes will let the hammer down before Melbourne, just like they did in the last years.

I disagree many including Lauda have said that sandbagging would be counter productive due to how big the rule change was for this season. Now unless the projected simulations are so good that they give the teams an idea of what they should be running in a 1 lap scenario for quali, then I do suspect these times will be much the same tomorrow and next week. However, I don't actually believe this. I feel we will see some simulated running next week and times that given an omen to the potential of the season.

In answer to our recent collective speculations about fastest laps and how they compare so far;

BBC
Valtteri Bottas’ unofficial lap time of 1:19.705 is the fastest ever F1 lap around the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in its current layout that includes the chicane. The previous best was a 1:19.995 that Mark Webber posted to win the pole for the 2010 Spanish Grand Prix.

Melbourne is going to be the best place to compare laptimes. Of all the circuits, it has remained unchanged for the longest (Since 1996)

It seems that the Beeb, Sky, Motosport.com, Autosport and the circuit themselves all remember different "fastest-ever-on-current-layout" laps! Helpful... :)

That 1:18.7 from Massa in 2008 means that we could feasibly see 1:14s or 1:15s, if the pre-season speed increase predictions are true.

Which it looks like they aren't.

Let's compare apples to apples:
2016 pre-season tests:
Kimi Raikkonen 1.22.765 on ultrasofts on the 7th day
Nico Rosberg 1.23.022 on softs on the 5th day
Lewis Hamilton 1.23.622 on softs on the 6th day

2017 pre-season tests:
Valtteri Bottas 1.19.705 on ultrasofts on the 3rd day
Valtteri Bottas 1.19.838 on supersofts on the 3rd day
Valtteri Bottas 1.20.107 on softs on the 3rd day

They're already 3s faster than last year (when comparing soft x soft). And there's a lot to improve yet.

Already can't help but think this particular era of F1 might've been a step too far for a newbie as young as Stroll. But he's only been at it for 2 days so, eh.

He was expecting a stroll in the park...but he hasn't got one here.

Hamilton is finishing his race simulation. The first lap of the last stint (on softs) was 1.22.216. The best lap from the front runners of the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix was 1.27.974 (Vettel).

Promising signs for Renault I think, I know you can't read too much in to testing, but their times and reliability look good.

Back