2017 F1 Pre SeasonFormula 1 

• Thread starter RX-7_FD3S
  • 386 comments
They do look a lot better no this year with the wider, lower rear wings and the wider track and tires. Almost as good looking as the early 90's ones IMO. If they could just ban the shlong noses, sharkfins and bring back V10's or 12's... :P

GREAT SHOT!!!!!!!! My new background
:drool:
16864744_648634618655417_8075999321612592128_n.jpg

They do look a lot better no this year with the wider, lower rear wings and the wider track and tires. Almost as good looking as the early 90's ones IMO. If they could just ban the shlong noses, sharkfins and bring back V10's or 12's... :P

I agree with the nose, but it's not that bad really and it's not the shape you've described it as, go back to 2014 for that. As for the Shark fin again I agree, when you look at the FI for instance it would look so many times better with a regular engine cover.

As for the engines...why should they bring back wasteful engines that aren't nearly as powerful as these current ones?

I agree with the nose, but it's not that bad really and it's not the shape you've described it as, go back to 2014 for that
Still looks like a less gifted gentleman's member to me :D.

As for the engines...why should they bring back wasteful engines that aren't nearly as powerful as these current ones?
The sound! The orgasmic all conquering sound! If you would give engineers a naturally aspired V10 or 12 nowadays I'm sure they could crank up the power to how it was before? Wasteful maybe yeah but I think more damage is done to the environment flying the whole circus around the world than with the actual races.

Still looks like a less gifted gentleman's member to me :D.

Looks like a thumb if anything, what you're describing in the 2014 Force India and McLaren. That's worlds apart from what we see today, which isn't all that bad. The current RBR looks like a vacuum or puffer fish mouth.

The sound! The orgasmic all conquering sound! If you would give engineers a naturally aspired V10 or 12 nowadays I'm sure they could crank up the power to how it was before? Wasteful maybe yeah but I think more damage is done to the environment flying the whole circus around the world than with the actual races.

Actually it's not considering they've lowered their carbon footprint over and over and over again. Also with the limit on CFD and windtunnels less parts are made in a year, thus less flying out of parts to each race like you'd see back in 2010 and 11.

As for the sound, I have no issue with it, if the hybrid systems weren't there, they'd sound like turbo V6s of the 80s and that's not all too far off from V12s. The V10s were nice, but wouldn't cut it in today's mold. The sound at the end of the day isn't this end all type necessity it's made out to be. Even before the cars came out it was a complaint that this route was a weak version.

What will you do when 2020 comes and the most likely routes this formula takes will be either V6 T still, or V4/I4 T or a choice of either one?

I agree with the nose, but it's not that bad really and it's not the shape you've described it as, go back to 2014 for that. As for the Shark fin again I agree, when you look at the FI for instance it would look so many times better with a regular engine cover.

Because the songs they created are so much better than this ****. These fart can generators are nasty. :crazy:

Also, when they go to V4's or I4's, I'm done with it. Period. A fast car isn't terribly hard to make in this era of design, I don't give a **** if its a Red Bull X2014, if it doesn't excite me, I'm not interested.

Last edited:
I read on the Autosport live feed that a reporter for them (possibly Ben Anderson) was watching the cars out around the circuit, and that he felt the Ferrari had a far better front end than the Mercedes. Watching that lap, it does look like it suffers from a lot of understeer. Obviously early days, but something to watch progress over the next test and in Australia.
Wouldnt read too much into this lap, as hes clesrly on a Sunday stroll, going nowhere near the limit. This lap was times rougly around a 1:22 and considering Bottas has gone a good 3 seconds faster already, theres more to come. Tyres just look really cold if anything.

Just get rid off that Hybrid grab, and get rid off DRS, bring back the V10 engines, the regular engine boxes, bring back refuelling, bring back more tyre suppliers, bring back the 1 hour and 30 minutes practice Friday, the 1 hour and 50 minutes Qualification Friday, and the 1 hour and 50 minutes Qualification Saturday, and bring back the 30 minutes warm up on Sunday.
And bring back testing like in the 90s. Bring more mechanical grip to the cars, and let it be more up to the skilled driver to drive the cars. And only keep the engineering and development in the aerodynamics. Modern Formula One cars have to be the loudest cars on the tracks, it isn't the case today:rolleyes:, today an GP3 racer sound louder lol, I have experienced that myself, I was on SPA Francorchamps in 2014 that hole weekend, and I was excited to be there watching and hearing them for the first time live, but when these GP3 cars came on the track I literally had to put my fingers in my ears, because they were so much louder than Formel1. And I caught myself laughing, because it was so bizarre and weird. ;)

Just get rid off that Hybrid grab, and get rid off DRS, bring back the V10 engines, the regular engine boxes, bring back refuelling, bring back more tyre suppliers, bring back the 1 hour and 30 minutes practice Friday, the 1 hour and 50 minutes Qualification Friday, and the 1 hour and 50 minutes Qualification Saturday, and bring back the 30 minutes warm up on Sunday.
And bring back testing like in the 90s. Bring more mechanical grip to the cars, and let it be more up to the skilled driver to drive the cars. And only keep the engineering and development in the aerodynamics. Modern Formula One cars have to be the loudest cars on the tracks, it isn't the case today:rolleyes:, today an GP3 racer sound louder lol, I have experienced that myself, I was on SPA Francorchamps in 2014 that hole weekend, and I was excited to be there watching and hearing them for the first time live, but when these GP3 cars came on the track I literally had to put my fingers in my ears, because they were so much louder than Formel1. And I caught myself laughing, because it was so bizarre and weird. ;)
GP2 and GP3 are far more breath taking than F1, the engines sound like racing cars.

Please for 2018 can we has the V10s again?

(Sorry for OT AGAIN and yay for 2222 posts!)

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the fact that we're being granted access to this testing? When was the last time it wasn't private?

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the fact that we're being granted access to this testing? When was the last time it wasn't private?
It has always been possible to watch the testing, even in the 80s you could be on the track when they where testing;)

Completely disagree with the notion that the car's need to be "deafeningly loud" to be enjoyable, as that's just not the case to be honest. If anything, to a certain extent it's more enjoyable that you can enjoy the sound without having to put your fingers in your ears :lol:.

With regards to the current engines, I'm really starting to warm to them, and actually, they don't sound too bad now, particularly the Mclaren. Plus I like how they all seem have a nice gravelly undertone at low speed.

I personally have never seen an issue with downsizing engines in any sport, regardless of F1, don't see why smaller engines should be an issue. It's why I've always hated the whole nonsense around "bigger is better" :rolleyes:.

Also, I reckon the engines will 'downsize' again, although not for a long time I think. And if they were to switch to V4's/I4's then I'd have no issue. Heck, the thought of a high-revving 4-banger would be awesome.

The one thing I would prefer though is the freedom for a manufacturer to once again be able to choose their own cylinder configuration, just to allow for little more variation. However, I know that this is not the case since the set format of having the same engine format was partly designed for "cost reasons".

Anyway, that was just my 2 cents on the arguement.

Just get rid off that Hybrid grab, and get rid off DRS, bring back the V10 engines,
It's not going to happen. Formula One needs engine manufacturers, and engine manufacturers want hybrids. To go back to the V10s will set the sport back thirty years and the manufacturers will lose interest.

It's not going to happen. Formula One needs engine manufacturers, and engine manufacturers want hybrids. To go back to the V10s will set the sport back thirty years and the manufacturers will lose interest.
We can have hybrid power and not have DRS or KERS, just have it be a constant source of power. Isn't that how the Porsche 918 uses it's hybrid technology?

I'll be honest - I don't care what the engines sound like. Why you ask? I've almost never seen a broadcast, documentary, or show which actually delivered anything remotely like the real sound of the cars. You pretty much don't hear a damn thing except a very muted engine note when watching the TV coverage. I haven't been lucky enough to attend an F1 race in person - so the sound aspect is essentially moot since I won't be hearing it anyway.

My main gripe continues to be the lack of exciting racing...but that's for an entirely different thread.

We can have hybrid power and not have DRS or KERS, just have it be a constant source of power. Isn't that how the Porsche 918 uses it's hybrid technology?
KERS already does that. And if the sport gets rid of DRS without coming up with an alternative, DRS critics will be the first to complain about the lack of overtaking.

You are right, but for me personal, if you ask me, it makes more sense to me to use Hybrid engines in endurance races like the 24 hour of Le Mans. It doesn't make sense to me to use them in a 2 hour sprint race like Formula One. And why would it be like going backwards thirty years:rolleyes:, V10 engines still exists, and the engineers can do whatever they need to make it work, they don't necessarily need those Hybrids. Formula One is loosing their fans, they need to go back to the roots of Motorsport, where it was all up to the driver to make a difference, and not the car. You can put any racing driver in one of the Mercedes and he will still be the fastest, I don't want to see that. Even the drivers themselves are giving words that they want to be able to give one hundred percent in the hole race, and to have better tires, and to have refuelling back as well. As it is now, they have to hold back in the middle of the race, and look after their tires. This is Formel1, it's not a driving school;)

What you need apparently, is a time machine.

There have been times when the highest levels of racing in Europe and America lacked an economic rationale and the manufacturers melted away. The most successful (and beloved) of these times was the Cosworth/Hewland/Goodyear "kit car" era of the sixties and seventies.

Latest Posts

Back