2017 F1 Pre SeasonFormula 1 

• Thread starter RX-7_FD3S
  • 386 comments
KERS already does that. And if the sport gets rid of DRS without coming up with an alternative, DRS critics will be the first to complain about the lack of overtaking.

I've always argued for an Indycar-style push to pass system that can be used a limited number of times during a race as a replacement for DRS.

I've always argued for an Indycar-style push to pass system that can be used a limited number of times during a race as a replacement for DRS.
KERS is fully integrated into the powertrain with the power distribution regulated by the ECU, but the driver has an override button and can dispense the ERS energy at any time with the energy store replenishing at the end of the lap.

It has always been possible to watch the testing, even in the 80s you could be on the track when they where testing;)
But not to film. For years now videos would make their way online and be taken down within the day. Now the new owners have allowed the teams to post videos, and have generally been trying to give F1 a bigger sigital media presence.

You coukd say they have given fans a lot of Liberty.

I'll get my coat.

That should be done. Set a fixed displacement and number of cylinders and let them build as they choose.

I garuntee you, that if they set a displacement of 1.5 liter, you wouldn't see anything bigger than a V6

I guess it's inevitable nowadays, but one can only dream of the days of old.

I mean that'd be like me expecting NASCAR, V8 Supercars and DTM to build actual road cars into race cars, rather than having purpose built chassis that pretend to be a race version of road cars. However, them being fake stock cars doesn't change my enjoyment of them. Nor does the sound and engine type used in F1. It's still faster than anything else and one of the most innovative on the planet, until it isn't then I may decide one way or another.
Because the songs they created are so much better than this ****. These fart can generators are nasty. :crazy:

Hey more hyperbole and drama from you, wasn't expecting that.

Also, when they go to V4's or I4's, I'm done with it. Period. A fast car isn't terribly hard to make in this era of design, I don't give a **** if its a Red Bull X2014, if it doesn't excite me, I'm not interested.

See ya, cause uh the most powerful F1 engine ever was a four pot, but please go on and tell me about the tame beasts with 10 or 12 cylinders. Also what's even more interesting is that you come for a trivial and relative thing like sound or engine size.

Last edited:
The Cylinders isn't the problem sound wise anyway, it's the Turbo, you make it a V8 or V10 turbo it will still sound like ass.

I garuntee you, that if they set a displacement of 1.5 liter, you wouldn't see anything bigger than a V6

I meant that they should also set a fixed amount of cylinders, and give them all the freedom for engine configuration.

4 cylinders and a turbo, a maximum for boost and revs, probably some finer details. Then you should be able to distinguish the various cars by sound alone again. Flat 4 vs I4 vs V4. Good stuff to dream about.

I meant that they should also set a fixed amount of cylinders, and give them all the freedom for engine configuration.

4 cylinders and a turbo, a maximum for boost and revs, probably some finer details. Then you should be able to distinguish the various cars by sound alone again. Flat 4 vs I4 vs V4. Good stuff to dream about.

I rather the same thing but instead go back to the way it use to be with a max displacement, from there the teams can be innovative and the FIA can set rules. This way instead of teams being forced to this one type of engine and hoping it helps them with road technology (it does but I still say WEC is better), they'll have more options. FIA can set a fuel flow rate, pressure rate on forced induction or decide if an engine should be NA. Still teams would build an engine at a specific liter size and configuration, potentially push technology and it would later find its way to consumers down the path.

I say expanding on fuels as well would be great, gives energy companies an outlet rather than the millions they spend in perfect fuel blends to win races. And it'd bring F1 back to being the most innovative series and not one of, which is primarily in just aerodynamics that are hardly of use outside F1.

They're not going back to N/A. Not unless some brilliant mind comes up with such a groundbreaking idea that it pretty much renders forced induction useless.

Hmm, with the new owners, they very well might.

Never say never. Plus, going from a 1.6t to a 3.5 n/a and keeping the power the same would be cheaper.

What F1, as well as all other racing series need, is to switch from gasoline as a fuel, to something such as hemp oil or the synthetic bio gas Audi and Global Bioenergies have been developing. If we can run our ICEs on clean, renewable fuels, life would improve a lot. Even if we make the cleanest possible gas engines, we will inevitably run out of our supply, even if that is over 100 years away (although I've heard 50 year estimates).

Electric is hot because running the cars is clean, but building them is not quite as clean as most would want it to be. It's a whole other issue on mining the materials to build the batteries. Yet another issue as to how we might responsibly recycle our "useless" ICE cars if society really decides to totally ditch them. So if anything, transportation is possibly only 1/3 of our carbon footprint issue.

Please no more of this "carbon footprint" applied to racing.

If they went back to standard engines - maybe Honda could get it figured out again.. duh dumn tisss...

But no seriously, Top forms of racing like WEC and F1 are supposed to drive technology forward and that is were we are headed, non-fossil fuel powered vehicles. I think they should be more open and less restrictive and allow different forms of power plants to encourage this progression. I would love to see all electric vs Turbine generator vs synthetic fuel turbo charged power systems.

Electric is hot because running the cars is clean, but building them is not quite as clean as most would want it to be.

True, but it improves year-on-year. The better designs save far more in their lifetime than they cost to build.

It's a whole other issue on mining the materials to build the batteries.

Not if you use lithium - that isn't mined. Except in pictures on Facebook, which are bollocks.

Yet another issue as to how we might responsibly recycle our "useless" ICE cars if society really decides to totally ditch them.

No changeover will be instant... and it's far easier to recycle an ICE car than an electric car, as it happens.

So if anything, transportation is possibly only 1/3 of our carbon footprint issue.

Quite a bit less than that, but it's still a huge amount in real terms. Huge. It's a big amount.

Both series use super old tech though.

They aren't pushing anything forward.

The hybrid tech I know was created a long time ago.. but the developments they make on it I would think are very advanced, learning how to maximize the fuel usage. It is the little things.. if it was not new and being pushed then a company like Honda would have no issues, but they can't get it figured out.

Edit - I am not here to bash on Honda.. I really just am disappointed. I wanted so much for McLaren Honda return to glory..

Technology and even economics are no longer the driving issue, IMO. It is clicks, butts in seats, and programming tuned into. I.e., it is spectacle. Spectacle pure and simple - think about how to achieve that!

Hmm, with the new owners, they very well might.
They won't. For one, they have no power over the regulations. But more importantly, the sport needs the support of car manufacturers to build engines for the teams. The car manufacturers will only get involved if there is something in it for them. They want to develop hybrid powertrains, so the sport is going to accomodate them. After all, Renault said that they would only continue in the sport beyond 2013 if they could develop hybrids from it.

Getting rid of the hybrids is wishful thinking at best. But if it became a reality, it would kill the sport. Engine manufacturers would be unwilling to justify spending millions of dollars on engines that are thirty years out of date and which offer no benefits beyond appeasing a subset of fans who only care about the sound of the engine. If they can't develop technology that is relevant to them, they will leave the sport and join a series where they can develop it.

They won't. For one, they have no power over the regulations. But more importantly, the sport needs the support of car manufacturers to build engines for the teams. The car manufacturers will only get involved if there is something in it for them. They want to develop hybrid powertrains, so the sport is going to accomodate them. After all, Renault said that they would only continue in the sport beyond 2013 if they could develop hybrids from it.

Getting rid of the hybrids is wishful thinking at best. But if it became a reality, it would kill the sport. Engine manufacturers would be unwilling to justify spending millions of dollars on engines that are thirty years out of date and which offer no benefits beyond appeasing a subset of fans who only care about the sound of the engine. If they can't develop technology that is relevant to them, they will leave the sport and join a series where they can develop it.

Mercedes said the same thing, had v8s stayed they wouldn't have.

I have a feeling that there are some people reading this thread while weating red MAKE FORMULA ONE GREAT AGAIN hats ...

I mean if any of them want to challenge our knowledge on it, I have the articles saved that provide the proof that manufactures don't want a return of the 90s and 00s F1. Drivers might, and fans might, but guess who writes the checks and keeps the show going...manufactures. So you're right, and I'm right, those with nostalgia are just that. But I do enjoy the debate with those people, even if it's as idealistic as you pointed out.

I have the articles saved that provide the proof that manufactures don't want a return of the 90s and 00s F1. Drivers might, and fans might, but guess who writes the checks and keeps the show going...manufactures.
Are you suggesting that F1 is a net economic loss, written off as advertising or R&D by manufacturers of engines?

F1 Can and Will Survive without multiple manufacturers but do we want everyone using the same engine?

F1 has always been more then just the racing, it's the most expensive sport for a reason.

Are you suggesting that F1 is a net economic loss, written off as advertising or R&D by manufacturers of engines?

No, because there is plenty to show that it's an economical gain for those who choose to use it and use it correctly. And by correctly actually making something successful, that gains a monetary net value, not only in the payment structure of FOM payouts, but also PR gains and for manufactures that actually build something, revenue in vehicles sold or engines bought by independents.

For those who don't fall into this, globalist F1 of the modern era, thus independent teams. It is a net economic loss, and for manufactures that don't find much current success...it is a net economic loss. So who are the real winners? Those who actually win something in a season.

So with such a tight margin of success, teams aren't going to simply join and play a game, where the ability to see a return is already dim, but more so with useless technology.

This is why we'll never see a return to 90s/00s type engine formula, and why we'll never see a modern version of cars seen in the 70s and 80s. It's a nice cliff note to today's F1, but that's it and for those still clinging to a past, you need to get over it.

F1 Can and Will Survive without multiple manufacturers but do we want everyone using the same engine?

No, it wouldn't be F1 and many will argue that who actually matter beyond just some peon fan like me. Can F1 be a series of independent teams sure. But the last time it was just a bunch of teams and hardly manufactures was some time ago. And the business of racing was far simpler.

After that, it was about manufactures, and if it wasn't the manufacture going full hog into racing, they were making big strides as an engine dealer. Helping a Independent get fame, while getting equal fame for powering them.

Which is why Honda is a legend to F1 and the world, even after the horrible 00s.

F1 has always been more then just the racing, it's the most expensive sport for a reason.

Exactly

It's a pity all these remarks about the nature and future of F1 are taking place in this thread about testing at Barcelona, 2017. :guilty:

I have more to say on the subject, but will hold off until the correct thread is promulgated.

Latest Posts

Back