2017 F1 Pre SeasonFormula 1 

• Thread starter RX-7_FD3S
  • 386 comments
But in that 3 years the progress has been minimal if almost non-existent at best.
Do they still have those restrictions on engine development and in season testing? Haven't really followed F1 these past years, so I wouldn't now if that would be a deal breaker still for developing the car as the season progresses, and teams that are behind in the beginning are basically screwed.

Now the question is, if this was to be their last season with Honda, who do they go too? Better yet, could they make their own engine?
It costs billions to make an engine from scratch. In my view both McLaren and Honda should leave F1 and go do WEC. They'd stand a chance of a podium then.

It costs billions to make an engine from scratch. In my view both McLaren and Honda should leave F1 and go do WEC. They'd stand a chance of a podium then.
In that case I'd like to see McLaren enter GTE and Honda be dropped altogether. :P

The first thing I saw in that picture was an odd face...the yellow being the face, the red being eye-portions of a mask (ala Deadpool) and the little Aston Martin wings as the mouth..creepy.

PS: What's with the Aston Martin set of wings on the nose of the car anyway?

PS: What's with the Aston Martin set of wings on the nose of the car anyway?

It's to do with the collaboration between RedBull and Aston Martin as they build that new super-duper hypercar; the Valkyrie (or the AM-RB 001 as it was formally known).

So, Honda...

laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif

Meanwhile other teams...

giphy.gif

On a more serious note, is it just me or does Felipe actually look a hell of a lot fitter than he did last year? I get the impression he's looking a lot skinnier compared to 2016!

not sure why people got happy that Honda were incorporating Merc designs from a season and a half ago
Because McLaren's "size zero" philosophy put an unreasonable parameter on Honda. It was a case of designing the engine around the chassis instead of designing the chassis around the engine. It limited what Honda could do for the sake of an unproven design concept, and it quickly became apparent that whatever benefits the "size zero" approach offered, it was nowhere near enough to offset the way Honda were effectively playing with one hand tied behind their back.

On a more serious note, is it just me or does Felipe actually look a hell of a lot fitter than he did last year? I get the impression he's looking a lot skinnier compared to 2016!
Could be... The pilots will need more physical preparation for this season...

Some harsh words from NBC color commentator, Steve Matchett:

To which I would ask if their presentation was holding them back. Sure, they looked good in the garage, and their set-up was the class act, but that's really just window dress.

Because McLaren's "size zero" philosophy put an unreasonable parameter on Honda. It was a case of designing the engine around the chassis instead of designing the chassis around the engine. It limited what Honda could do for the sake of an unproven design concept, and it quickly became apparent that whatever benefits the "size zero" approach offered, it was nowhere near enough to offset the way Honda were effectively playing with one hand tied behind their back.

Doesn't change that Honda knew what the plan was, and were in development for enough time to get it right, and even if it wasn't right in 2015, they had enough time to get it right for 2016. That's the problem

Doesn't change that Honda knew what the plan was, and were in development for enough time to get it right, and even if it wasn't right in 2015, they had enough time to get it right for 2016. That's the problem
As the saying goes, it's easier to make a fast car reliable than it is to make a reliable car fast. According to McLaren, the issues that hindered the car yesterday are related to their early problems, so they're pretty confident that fixing things quickly will mean an end to the problems.

As the saying goes, it's easier to make a fast car reliable than it is to make a reliable car fast. According to McLaren, the issues that hindered the car yesterday are related to their early problems, so they're pretty confident that fixing things quickly will mean an end to the problems.

We'll see.

We'll see.
They're already calling the chassis woes "fake news". And I couldn't help but notice that during the launch, Zak Briwn sounded a lot like Donald Trump (although maybe all American accents sound the same to my ear). Add in the set at the launch, and I immediately thought of Brown playing a Bond villain based on Trump.

They're already calling the chassis woes "fake news". And I couldn't help but notice that during the launch, Zak Briwn sounded a lot like Donald Trump (although maybe all American accents sound the same to my ear). Add in the set at the launch, and I immediately thought of Brown playing a Bond villain based on Trump.

No what Briwn sounded like was a typical American Business man with a ton of bravado and not the same class McLaren has been known for. As for the chassis having woes, I doubt that the Newey prodigy would get it wrong.

Williams looking decent. Mercedes now 3.7s faster than they were in testing last year.

McLaren is concerning, will they run an engine at close to full power at all in testing?

Speaking of power, Mercedes is using the Spec 2 engine, which is the Melbourne spec, since yesterday. But only the works team, not the customers.

Speaking of power, Mercedes is using the Spec 2 engine, which is the Melbourne spec, since yesterday. But only the works team, not the customers.

That's how it always works out, Mercedes get the new engine first cause it is mercedes who build them, and they test them in their cars to make sure all is right. Then once it's in working order the other teams get them.

Back