2017 F1 Pre SeasonFormula 1 

• Thread starter RX-7_FD3S
  • 386 comments
It's a pity all these remarks about the nature and future of F1 are taking place in this thread about testing at Barcelona, 2017. :guilty:

I have more to say on the subject, but will hold off until the correct thread is promulgated.

Like the constructor thread? Or the Business of F1 thread?

Like the constructor thread? Or the Business of F1 thread?
Hmmm, maybe! But I'm really more interested in thinking about "The Nature and Future of F1" in the purest possible context.

Another way to say this would be "Top-Level Auto Racing on Planet Earth from its Beginning in the 19th Century to its Current State: Implications for the Future.

A yet more succinct thread title would be "The Economic and Social Justification for F1 and other Top-Level Racing". Maybe I like this best so far. :)

Hmmm, maybe! But I'm really more interested in thinking about "The Nature and Future of F1" in the purest possible context.

Another way to say this would be "Top-Level Auto Racing on Planet Earth from its Beginning in the 19th Century to its Current State: Implications for the Future.

A yet more succinct thread title would be "The Economic and Social Justification for F1 and other Top-Level Racing". Maybe I like this best so far. :)

...yeah you do that.

Yeah, but they've not been out for a while now. Massa does a 19.7 on SuperSofts, Riccciardo did a 20.1 on Softs earlier.

McLaren is gonna have a bad time this year, aren't they? :lol:

Probably, not sure why people got happy that Honda were incorporating Merc designs from a season and a half ago. It's not the issue of design but a company paying tons of money and having no clue how to get it right no matter if it's original or copied.

How can Honda, renowned for the longevity of its engines, not make an engine that can run for more than 10 minutes? Even qualifying spec V10's and 80's turbos could last longer!

At least one of the engine changes can be put down to McLaren, due to the oil tank problem on the first day.

But perhaps they are making wholesale changes to the engine, and so quickly trying to work through the bugs? Last year they got the engine running fairly reliably. And if it is running reliably by Melbourne, then the trauma of pre-season testing will have done its job.

No. But feel free to be negative about Honda and it's half dozen engine failures so far. ;)
It's a diabolical shame that engine numbers aren't counted from first test day. :mischievous: maybe an emergency rule change is in order.

This team has sucked since the last season Button and Hamilton were teammates. They had the fastest car that year and didn't win either championship. We'll end up talking about them in the same way people have talked about Williams since they fell from grace.

According to AutoMotorSport, Mclaren had the same engine problem as last week and Honda still doesn't now what it is. They arrived with 3 new (still spec 1) engines for the second week of testing, and a 4th unit will arrive on Thursday. Also, there are rumors that the engine does not really have more power compared to last year... I'd really like to see Alonso fighting for race wins again. Stoffels talent is wasted too this year if no miracle happens in Japan.

Meanwhile, Ferrari and Haas intend to do all 8 testing days with one engine each.

How can Honda, renowned for the longevity of its engines, not make an engine that can run for more than 10 minutes? Even qualifying spec V10's and 80's turbos could last longer!
Because the nature of the regulations and them being late to the party means they have to push the boundries to catch up.

Which former champion are they most like; Cooper, perhaps? Maybe Lotus or Brabham?

They'll be lucky to escape being the new Tyrrell at this rate.

Now the question is, if this was to be their last season with Honda, who do they go too? Better yet, could they make their own engine?

I suppose it was a calculated risk to move to Honda in the first place, they'd have been only a customer team had they stayed with Merc, or been able to jump ship to Renault or Ferrari, and would have suffered having second-string powerplants. Honda have a history with McLaren and a history of producing innovative engines. But it's not turning into a fruitful partnership this time around.

Which former champion are they most like; Cooper, perhaps? Maybe Lotus or Brabham?

They'll be lucky to escape being the new Tyrrell at this rate.
Williams are the new Tyrrell. To the end Ken got his cars to the track - on his back if need be. To the end, Frank will get his cars to the track even if he had to tow them with his wheelchair.

Dennis gave up the ghost, but the team goes on. McLaren could do with a Mercedes, Renault of Ferrari engine just now. Maybe McLaren is a little like Lotus.

Read that the engine contract with Honda is for 10 years. Like all things F1 it's a steep and long climb to get back to the top. They have 2 of the best drivers around so if they get their stuff sorted they will get there eventually.

Not a smart move to ditch Honda in the 3rd year already IMO. I want to see that combo succeed and relive the late 80's early 90's again :P.

Read that the engine contract with Honda is for 10 years. Like all things F1 it's a steep and long climb to get back to the top. They have 2 of the best drivers around so if they get their stuff sorted they will get there eventually.

Not a smart move to ditch Honda in the 3rd year already IMO. I want to see that combo succeed and relive the late 80's early 90's again :P.
But in that 3 years the progress has been minimal if almost non-existent at best.

Back