2017 F1 Pre SeasonFormula 1 

• Thread starter RX-7_FD3S
  • 386 comments
He's doing a good job of showing that Verstappen was the exception, rather than the rule. He'd be better in GP3 or 2 this season.

These guys are in the 19's already and just on the third day. We still have tomorrow and all next week to go before testing is done. I think 1:18's are definitely possible. Pirelli predicts pole at Catalunya will be in the 1:17's!

Last edited:
Apparently, St. Roll's crashes weren't his fault according to Rob Smedley:

"Everybody... I wouldn't even call it a mistake that Lance made today. He was going for an upshift, he was on cold tyres, Felipe [Massa] once or twice on day one made almost exactly the same mistake - and that is a guy with 15 years experience, it is for us to understand how to rebalance the car, how to get the tyre working, even in tricky situations on those cold laps to help the drivers in those situations."

From Lance himself:

"I have time in the car now, at least, all the questions I've been asking myself and wonders how it's going to feel -- I actually got to break the ice today."

And the nose cone...

As much as it doesn't look good or bode well to crash twice in the first two day's of testing, I'm willing to cut Stroll some slack given it's his first time and the big changes that have drastically changed the way the F1 car's drive. Plus he's come straight from F3 which is a completely different kettle of fish (yes Verstappen did the same, but he's an anomaly in that regard :lol:).

However, if the crashtor Maldonado-esque antics continue come Melbourne, then the questions should be asked. Either way I'm still skeptical, given that Daddy paid for his drive and all, but if he turns out to be genuinely good then fair play, until then, we'll see.

Plus he's come straight from F3 which is a completely different kettle of fish
Not quite. Stroll Snr. did a deal where Lance regularly tested an old model Formula One car at a variety of circuits that he had never raced on. Granted, it's still a step up to the current specification of car, but Stroll had a bespoke testing programme unlike anything any other rookie driver has had.

C55f6SqWgAAgY4Z.jpg

Crazy that someone has managed to get an onboard lap of hamilton on day 3 of testing

I read on the Autosport live feed that a reporter for them (possibly Ben Anderson) was watching the cars out around the circuit, and that he felt the Ferrari had a far better front end than the Mercedes. Watching that lap, it does look like it suffers from a lot of understeer. Obviously early days, but something to watch progress over the next test and in Australia.

I read on the Autosport live feed that a reporter for them (possibly Ben Anderson) was watching the cars out around the circuit, and that he felt the Ferrari had a far better front end than the Mercedes. Watching that lap, it does look like it suffers from a lot of understeer. Obviously early days, but something to watch progress over the next test and in Australia.
True he has to make multiple corrections in slower corners to get the car pointed towards the apex.

Poor kid... Figuratively speaking then :lol:

Seems like it's opposite day in Barcelona. McLaren with most laps so far and Mercedes not driving due to an electronics problem.

Pirelli will not re-wet the track during the day.

With those huge rear tyres I should think that understeer is the "natural" balance once the tyres are warm. Getting the tyres into the zone that you've set the aero balance for will be more difficult this year... and that must be true because I read it on the internet. :D

He usually said that during a Bottas run, and there were times later in the test where he'd say the car actually does look well sorted and balanced later through the runs.

No laps for Lewis today due to electrical problems.... hmmmm,so the merc has its flaws aswell... good news!! :sly::D
From Sky F1:

"Sky Sports understands Mercedes have been running their 2017 engine in conservative power modes to be sure of complete reliability."

Back