2024 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter Dylan
  • 306 comments
Don't look now, but the #51, which should have had its charter repossessed after the end of last year, is actually in the top 30 in owners' points and 49 points (give or take staqe points, better than a race) ahead of the #21 for 34th. In fact, it's ahead of both the Kaulig entries (by the tiebreaker ahead of the #31, and also ahead of the #3.

Of course, the #15 is 35th in points.
16's entry doesn't even count in my eyes. Unless they are running on a road course there is little chance the car will be competing for a win.

Looks like Haas will remain in Cup with one team, Stewart is cashing out.

https://www.jayski.com/2024/06/20/g...finity-teams-and-will-retain-one-cup-charter/
“Operating a four-car Cup Series team has become too arduous but, at the same time, I still need a platform to promote Haas Automation and grow HaasTooling.com.

“Maintaining my presence in Cup allows Haas Automation to compete at NASCAR’s highest level, which is important to our customers and distributors. The Xfinity Series program provides a full weekend experience for our guests, and it delivers added depth and scale to our overall operation.”
Translation: My Formula 1 team is worthless for advertising because it's been a punchline in motorsports for years, and most of my customers are blue-collar shop owners who don't really care about F1 anyways.

That said, I can understand not wanting to walk away from Xfinity considering Cole has been having a pretty strong run this year, and only having one self-sponsored car in Cup is going to be a big relief on both financials and performance expectations. And if the other three charters end up floating towards the back of the field, then having a solid midfield entry isn't that bad of a position to be in anyways.

Your infrequent dose of Bob Pockrass:
  • Qualifying just got more complicated in Cup - the inside/outside split between the two practice groups now extends to the final round, with the 4 slowest in the final round from group A getting the inside rows 2-5 (fast to slow), the 4 slowest in the final round from group B getting the outside rows 2-5, the fastest overall getting pole and lane choice, and the fastest from the other group getting the other front row spot.
  • There was no qualifying (and barely a minute of practice) in Xfinity due to weather. The go-home car is the #74 of Jade Buford. They were supposed to practice in 2 groups based on qualifying order for 15 minutes (each group) to eliminate teams going out early in qualifying cutting short practice.
  • There is a new darkness procedure for this year based on what time it is rather than a subjective lap number. Once the race hits that point on the clock, the next time the leader crosses the finish line, it will be 2 to go, and there is no overtime. That got brought up only now because New Hampshire was the first of 2 races impacted by darkness last year.
  • The reason why Gene Haas is keeping a Cup team (which he will self-sponsor) is there are only 3 teams serious about buying a charter. He's keeping the Xfinity operation going because it has been building cars for other teams.
  • Related to that, Front Row is not moving onto the Haas campus.

Last edited:
Your infrequent dose of Bob Pockrass:
  • Qualifying just got more complicated in Cup - the inside/outside split between the two practice groups now extends to the final round, with the 4 slowest in the final round from group A getting the inside rows 2-5 (fast to slow), the 4 slowest in the final round from group B getting the outside rows 2-5, the fastest overall getting pole and lane choice, and the fastest from the other group getting the other front row spot.
  • There was no qualifying (and barely a minute of practice) in Xfinity due to weather. The go-home car is the #74 of Jade Buford. They were supposed to practice in 2 groups based on qualifying order for 15 minutes (each group) to eliminate teams going out early in qualifying cutting short practice.
  • There is a new darkness procedure for this year based on what time it is rather than a subjective lap number. Once the race hits that point on the clock, the next time the leader crosses the finish line, it will be 2 to go, and there is no overtime. That got brought up only now because New Hampshire was the first of 2 races impacted by darkness last year.
  • The reason why Gene Haas is keeping a Cup team (which he will self-sponsor) is there are only 3 teams serious about buying a charter. He's keeping the Xfinity operation going because it has been building cars for other teams.
  • Related to that, Front Row is not moving onto the Haas campus.
Since it is probable that Briscoe is heading to Gibbs, that would leave Preece, Gragson and Berry as the 3 options. I think Gragson is the only one with a multi year contract?

Since it is probable that Briscoe is heading to Gibbs, that would leave Preece, Gragson and Berry as the 3 options. I think Gragson is the only one with a multi year contract?
If you're reffering to Haas, problem with ONE of those options is that Joe Custer will be in charge of the operation. Feel free to guess who might be in one of those seats by default.

Back