2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 3,710 comments
PXL_20240603_220035714.MP~2.jpg

The first sentence from the article:
DONALD TRUMP THINKS HE'S IDENTIFIED A crucial mistake of his first term: He was too nice.

Edit: meanwhile it looks like Mexico, despite all the violence, gangs, cartels and poverty compared to the US, they might have successfully voted progressively, before the US, and hopefully for the better...

Continuing this way, soon enough the migrants might not even want to cross the border to the US.
(You know I kid of course, over exaggerating)

So many critical elections going around the world this year : India, Germany, France etc...

It looks to me that we are still 8 years behind Mexico at this point...

Edit2: reading the article, even though partially, is scary the prospect of trump 2.0
Are we going to allow the bully, the trigger happy and those with less than questionable critical thinking ability rule the rest of us for the next 4 or more years ?

Sorry about it, but if anyone here is supporting trump, can you please explain clearly why and how he will make this country better.
I am honestly willing to be convinced and swayed... Let's go:

@Scaff you can retract your thumbs up if you don't agree with everything I added after my initial post, I wouldn't be offended, not that you would care...

For those photography enthusiasts and graphic designers, could you please explain why the TIMES has chosen this shade of photo scale and filter as opposed to a regular color photo ?

Last edited:
Here's a Gift link to this NYT Opinion piece

A quote:- "In an interview with three Fox News hosts on Sunday, his first since his conviction, Trump all but promised that his second term would be even more corrupt and vindictive than his first. In his telling, he never called for Hillary Clinton to be imprisoned, and magnanimously resisted the entreaties of others to punish her. Next time, he suggested, he won’t be so nice. “They always said lock her up, and I felt — and I could have done it, but I felt it would have been a terrible thing,” he said. “And then this happened to me, and so I may feel differently about it.”

Speaking to the Fox hosts, Trump denied saying the words that were the refrain to his first presidential campaign: “I didn’t say, ‘Lock her up.’” That is, of course, a preposterous lie, the kind that demonstrates Trump’s strongman ability to get his followers to accept absurdities. And “lock her up,” it’s important to remember, was never just rhetoric. As the Mueller report revealed, Trump demanded that his first attorney general, Jeff Sessions, who’d recused himself from investigations involving the 2016 campaign, go after Clinton."

Here's a Gift link to this NYT Opinion piece

A quote:- "In an interview with three Fox News hosts on Sunday, his first since his conviction, Trump all but promised that his second term would be even more corrupt and vindictive than his first. In his telling, he never called for Hillary Clinton to be imprisoned, and magnanimously resisted the entreaties of others to punish her. Next time, he suggested, he won’t be so nice. “They always said lock her up, and I felt — and I could have done it, but I felt it would have been a terrible thing,” he said. “And then this happened to me, and so I may feel differently about it.”

Speaking to the Fox hosts, Trump denied saying the words that were the refrain to his first presidential campaign: “I didn’t say, ‘Lock her up.’” That is, of course, a preposterous lie, the kind that demonstrates Trump’s strongman ability to get his followers to accept absurdities. And “lock her up,” it’s important to remember, was never just rhetoric. As the Mueller report revealed, Trump demanded that his first attorney general, Jeff Sessions, who’d recused himself from investigations involving the 2016 campaign, go after Clinton."

Posted footage of this earlier. I'm starting to wonder whether the Big Lie ("I won... by a lot!") was a trial run. Thanks for the gift link.

[EDIT] I like this quote from Wikipedia in the comments about shame dumping:
Wikipedia
Psychological projection is a defense mechanism of alterity concerning "inside" content mistaken to be coming from the "outside" Other. It forms the basis of empathy by the projection of personal experiences to understand someone else's subjective world. In its malignant forms, it is a defense mechanism in which the ego defends itself against disowned and highly negative parts of the self by denying their existence in themselves and attributing them to others, breeding misunderstanding and causing untold interpersonal damage. Projection incorporates blame shifting and can manifest as shame dumping.

Last edited:
For those photography enthusiasts and graphic designers, could you please explain why the TIMES has chosen this shade of photo scale and filter as opposed to a regular color photo ?
You'd have to ask the people that did it to know for sure, but you can have a pretty good guess at the vibe they were trying to portray:

Here's a transcript from a political speech over the weekend. See if you can identify the speaker...

Are the teleprompters not working? So, not even a little bit? Great job. And then I don't pay the company that does it right, and then I end up with a story: Trump doesn't pay. I don't pay contractors that do a job, and that's a job, that's a job. This is the worst border in the history of the world. There's never been, no third world country has a border like that, and no third... I tell you what, and I hope the military, I hope the military revolts at the voting booth.

I went to a boat company in South Carolina. The boat, I said, 'How is it?' He said, 'It's a problem, sir. They want us to make all electric boats.' So I said, 'Let me ask you a question,' and he said, 'Nobody ever asked this question, and it must be because of MIT, my relationship to MIT, very smart.' He goes, I say, 'What would happen if the boat sank from its weight, and you're in the boat, and you have this tremendously powerful battery, and the battery is now underwater, and there's a shark that's approximately 10 yards over there? By the way, a lot of shark attacks lately, do you notice that? A lot of sharks. I watched some guys justifying it today. Well, they weren't really that angry. They bit off the young lady's leg because of the fact that they were, they were not hungry, but they misunderstood who she was. These people are...' He said, 'There's no problem with sharks, they just didn't really understand a young woman swimming. Now, really got decimated, other people too, a lot of shark attacks.' So I said, 'So there's a shark 10 yards away from the boat, 10 yards, or here. Do I get electrocuted? Do you feel the breeze? 'Cause I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you, I just want your vote. I don't care. Those J6 warriors, they were warriors, but they were really more than anything else, they're victims of what happened.'

Here's a transcript from a political speech over the weekend. See if you can identify the speaker...

Are the teleprompters not working? So, not even a little bit? Great job. And then I don't pay the company that does it right, and then I end up with a story: Trump doesn't pay. I don't pay contractors that do a job, and that's a job, that's a job. This is the worst border in the history of the world. There's never been, no third world country has a border like that, and no third... I tell you what, and I hope the military, I hope the military revolts at the voting booth.

I went to a boat company in South Carolina. The boat, I said, 'How is it?' He said, 'It's a problem, sir. They want us to make all electric boats.' So I said, 'Let me ask you a question,' and he said, 'Nobody ever asked this question, and it must be because of MIT, my relationship to MIT, very smart.' He goes, I say, 'What would happen if the boat sank from its weight, and you're in the boat, and you have this tremendously powerful battery, and the battery is now underwater, and there's a shark that's approximately 10 yards over there? By the way, a lot of shark attacks lately, do you notice that? A lot of sharks. I watched some guys justifying it today. Well, they weren't really that angry. They bit off the young lady's leg because of the fact that they were, they were not hungry, but they misunderstood who she was. These people are...' He said, 'There's no problem with sharks, they just didn't really understand a young woman swimming. Now, really got decimated, other people too, a lot of shark attacks.' So I said, 'So there's a shark 10 yards away from the boat, 10 yards, or here. Do I get electrocuted? Do you feel the breeze? 'Cause I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you, I just want your vote. I don't care. Those J6 warriors, they were warriors, but they were really more than anything else, they're victims of what happened.'
confused-no.gif

This reads like excerpts of 8 different speeches on 20 different subjects copied and pasted at random in an attempt to make one big speech...
That man is incoherence personified...
At least I get to use my favorite English word to describe how it makes me feel, discombobulated.

Without a teleprompter Trump has to rely on his natural statesmanship and oratorial capability of which he demonstrably has very little.

It must be shark week in politics since this story has taken over three of the threads in O&CE so far.

Last edited:
Minor semi-related question: should we use this thread to also discuss concurrent races for other offices within the USA? For example, not just other federal positions that may be up for election this year like in congress, but also races for state senates, general assemblies, and perhaps any gubernatorial races that will be going on this Fall. My dad always told me these more local positions will impact someone like me a lot more than the president - though that's not to say the president is without any impact at all.

Last edited:
p78
Oh, i thought he was the crooked one.
Yeah he's a drooling old man who is somehow also an evil criminal mastermind. Sort of like a cross between Abe Simpson and Mr Burns.

MAGA really puts a lot of thinking into their takes and don't suffer from cognitive dissonance. At all.

This reads like excerpts of 8 different speeches on 20 different subjects copied and pasted at random in an attempt to make one big speech...
That man is incoherence personified...
At least I get to use my favorite English word to describe how it makes me feel, discombobulated.
Trump is the reason AI gets "intelligence" in it's name. It may be making up facts about the correct amount of rocks in your diet, but at least it's more coherent than he is when it's lying directly to our faces. If we are begrudgingly forced to admit that Trump is an intelligent being, then AI is knocking it out of the park.

ChatGPT for President.

Minor semi-related question: should we use this thread to also discuss concurrent races for other offices within the USA? For example, not just other federal positions that may be up for election this year like in congress, but also races for state senates, general assemblies, and perhaps any gubernatorial races that will be going on this Fall. My dad always told me these more local positions will impact someone like me a lot more than the president - though that's not to say the president is without any impact at all.
These threads have, in the past, covered gubernatorial races and state races for federal office in addition to the presidency. This one ended up being trimmed down as a result of its creation being part of a bitchfit over constant litigation of the 2020 presidential election (on the forum, though real-world litigation was concurrent with that on the forum and that's why it was happening on the forum) and the scope of it wasn't really established.

I don't know if races for state houses should be covered. I personally don't object to it.

A very frightening look at a possible second Trump administration.

LANGUAGE WARNING

I think he's actually not even hitting the scariest parts - which is where Trump pardons all of the rioters and tells the mob to "encourage" his political opponents and allies who drag their feet. People on both sides of the aisle who stand against him on any issue will actually feel like they're risking their lives at the hands of a rabid mob able officially to operate outside the law.

Last edited:
I think he's actually not even hitting the scariest parts - which is where Trump pardons all of the rioters and tells the mob to "encourage" his political opponents and allies who drag their feet. People on both sides of the aisle who stand against him on any issue will actually feel like they're risking their lives at the hands of a rabid mob who is able officially to operate outside the law.
Exactly. Early on in the video where he's saying we are going to find the vermin, etc., I think that is going to be carried down to the local level as well. I think they will bring violence to Democratic state legislators, senators, local mayors, even regular citizens that do not support conservatives especially if they are in red states.

They make it sound almost exactly like 1933 Germany without sugar-coating it in any shape or form. Frightening, and i don't even live in the US.
Unfortunately that it how it seems to me.

The pardon power is obviously broken, and with some political will it might be possible to reign it in and prevent a president from officially setting aside the law. But the political will is not there partly because a big portion of the population WANTS to go around like an angry mob and hurt people with full support of the police.

Looking back, it has been decades in the making. The right wingers have cultivated a conspiracy theory mentality combined with vigilantism. Gun rights to a lot of people are about enacting your own particular judgement on the people around you. They all think they're some kind of movie action hero that needs to go solo to save the world or something. They WANT to operate outside the law. They WANT to be able to march around with guns and get their way. And they have found a presidential candidate who also wants to operate outside the law and wants to empower them in exactly the way they wish. The possibility that he might pardon them for attacking political enemies is exactly what they want. They have their enemy (liberals), they have their weapons, and they want to use them to get their way. They're done with democracy and discourse. January 6th has not gone away.

Trump doesn't care about any of that, of course. He just wants to be a dictator, and the fools that want to intimidate a made-up enemy are just dumb enough to let it happen.

A very frightening look at a possible second Trump administration.

LANGUAGE WARNING

I just watched this yesterday and was about to post it in here too. Makes me ill, cringe, mad and reminded me why I never watch this stuff.

Jerome

Back