2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 3,351 comments
Looks like the VP choice has been narrowed down to either Shapiro or Walz:

Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris has narrowed her search for a vice presidential running mate to two finalists, Governors Tim Walz of Minnesota and Josh Shapiro of Pennsylvania, three sources with knowledge of the matter said.

Harris, the U.S. vice president, is expected to announce her selection by Tuesday, ahead of her first scheduled public appearance with her running mate that evening at Temple University in Philadelphia.

In a message to supporters late on Monday, Harris said she had yet to make her decision.

"I know many of you are eager to find out who I will be selecting to join me on the campaign trail, and hopefully in the White House, as my Vice President," she wrote.

"Though I have not made my decision yet, it is important to me that grassroots supporters - like you - have direct updates about the state of the race," she said, offering voters a chance to sign up on a link to get news of the announcement first.
While I haven't looked much into Walz, I do very much hope he gets the pick. Seems Shapiro's been problematic (to say the least) with progressives given his views on Israel-Gaza.

Guess it'll be a toss-up between winning Pensylvania, or potentially throwing away progressive voters across the country who strongly disagree with Shapiro's views on Israel-Gaza (unless he takes on Harris' stance and does a 180 on his views).

“I’m for electric cars, I have to be because Elon endorsed me very strongly,” Trump, the Republican nominee for US president, told supporters at a rally in Atlanta, Georgia, on Saturday. (The Guardian)

Translation:
I hate EVs, but I am required to say they are cool, because a guy with more money than me is producing them and has said he would back me to become president (so I can make his company great again).

Harris selects Tim Walz as her VP. A significantly better selection for VP than her opponent but Minnesota was a safe state.

The more I've seen from Walz, the guy has real, "Loving Grandpa/Elder" energy. Guy seems to genuinely care about people & can talk in a way that reaches most Americans. If I've understood it, was the guy who kicked off the whole, "Trump/Vance are weird" tagline.

Edit* Just some of the positives I've seen for Walz is that he's a LGBT+ ally, he credits his daughter with his stance on gun control, he's a former high school teacher/football coach, & had a 20+ year military career like Kelly, so he'll know veterans.
"Old white guy" complaints incoming in 5... 4... 3...
It will be hilarious if there are. He's basically the same age as Kamala, lol.

Last edited:
Ya Walz just looks old, but isn't. He's only 60. Other than that, I don't know much about him, but he's a significantly better pick than Shipiro. I was getting worried I would have to rethink my vote, but with the Walz, I can vote for Kamala with no problem.

Harris selects Tim Walz as her VP. A significantly better selection for VP than her opponent but Minnesota was a safe state.
Shapiro may have helped her in Pennsylvania, but I think he would have hurt her chances across the map. Walz is just more likable and has way less baggage. I think the home state advantage is the least important effect of Walz. Even progressives who are very skeptical of Harris seem to be enthusiastic about this pick. Some are even praising Pelosi for pushing for Walz (and for helping oust Biden). The most committed progressives will still not vote for her, but there are definitely people out there who would have struggled to vote for pro-Israel Shapiro but will be comfortable voting for Walz despite him not being hugely pro-Palestine either.

Meanwhile I don't see moderates being offended by Walz. He may not be as conservative as Shapiro, but his policies are popular. Feeding children in schools, banning non-competes, protections for workers. He's got a lot of attractive accomplishments. Some people are complaining of antisemitism that she didn't pick Shapiro, but those people are not voting for Trump (and it's a nonsense attack anyway—she is not forced to pick a Jewish candidate just to avoid being antisemitic).

Progressives are breathing a sigh of relief and moderates are unlikely to have too many complaints unless they already lean so conservative that Harris was never getting their vote anyway. Even the RNC's attacks so far have amounted to saying Walz is just like Harris.

Edit:
Ya Walz just looks old, but isn't. He's only 60. Other than that, I don't know much about him, but he's a significantly better pick than Shipiro. I was getting worried I would have to rethink my vote, but with the Walz, I can vote for Kamala with no problem.

I think a lot of voters are feeling the same way, and that's why this was a good call.

Personally, I'm not voting for Harris in a solid blue state, but knowing the next president will either be Trump or Kamala, this VP pick is a huge relief. And if I were in a swing state, I'd probably be voting for her.

Last edited:
Some people are complaining of antisemitism that she didn't pick Shapiro, but those people are not voting for Trump (and it's a nonsense attack anyway—she is not forced to pick a Jewish candidate just to avoid being antisemitic).
They're the same group of people who think criticizing Israel is antisemitic or who think all Jews are Israeli and that all Israelis are Jews. You can pretty much just ignore them.

Plus, if Kamala was antisemitic, she'd probably not like her husband very much.

They're the same group of people who think criticizing Israel is antisemitic or who think all Jews are Israeli and that all Israelis are Jews. You can pretty much just ignore them.

Plus, if Kamala was antisemitic, she'd probably not like her husband very much.
That's such a funny & ironic attack from Trump the few times he's tried to label her antisemitic & asking, "Why are Jewish people voting for Democrats instead of me?" Trumpy, you have literal Nazis supporting you & talk of rounding up people in mass quantities, I couldn't fathom why some Jews would not want your Presidency.

Last edited:
That's such a funny & ironic attack from Trump the few times he's tried to label her antisemitic & asking, "Why are Jewish people voting for Democrats instead of me?" Trumpy, you have literal Nazis supporting you, I couldn't fathom why some Jews would not want your Presidency.
I think it depends on what sort of Judaism they practice. Conservative and Orthodox Jews are pretty conservative, and based on the neighborhood my inlaws live in, Orthodox Jews probably like JD Vance. These are a group of people who've told my inlaws they should be ashamed that their daughter married a "goyum" and that she only has one child. They're also the same group that won't let their wives walk next to them because the man needs to be in front. Hearing the BS Vance says, it wouldn't surprise me if Orthodox Jews believe he's saying all the right things. Conservative Jews probably lean more right, but my brother-in-law is conservative and isn't a Trump supporter.

Reformed Jews though I can't see liking Trump very much or, at the very least, just being split based on other markers the make some lean right or left.

I think it depends on what sort of Judaism they practice. Conservative and Orthodox Jews are pretty conservative, and based on the neighborhood my inlaws live in, Orthodox Jews probably like JD Vance. These are a group of people who've told my inlaws they should be ashamed that their daughter married a "goyum" and that she only has one child. They're also the same group that won't let their wives walk next to them because the man needs to be in front. Hearing the BS Vance says, it wouldn't surprise me if Orthodox Jews believe he's saying all the right things. Conservative Jews probably lean more right, but my brother-in-law is conservative and isn't a Trump supporter.

Reformed Jews though I can't see liking Trump very much or, at the very least, just being split based on other markers the make some lean right or left.
Sounds like they are the ultra-orthodox and extreme right. Orthodox kind of has a broader spectrum but definitely is center-right.

"Old white guy" complaints incoming in 5... 4... 3...
Biden was a good choice as Obama's running mate. Easy to forget how popular and meme-friendly he was when he wasn't completely decrepit with all the focus on him.

Well, that is why I said some. I know Trump does have a very large Jewish following to the point he has a settlement named after him in Israel. I don't know if people are living there yet, although it would be truly on par for Trump to have yet another thing named after him go nowhere.
Nope, the attack angle from MAGA seems to be that he had a DUI in checks notes 1995 (and has been sober ever since).
I wonder what Trump was doing in 1995.
In June 2019, writer E. Jean Carroll alleged in New York magazine that Trump raped her in a department store dressing room in 1995 or 1996. Two friends of Carroll stated that Carroll had previously confided in them about the incident. Trump called the allegation fiction and denied ever meeting Carroll, despite a photo of them together from 1987 being published by the magazine.[13][14][15] In November 2022, Carroll filed a suit against Trump for battery under the Adult Survivors Act. On May 9, 2023, a New York jury in a civil case found Trump liable for sexual abuse and defamation against Carroll, but found him not liable for rape. They awarded Carroll US$5 million in damages.
Oooo Reaction GIF

He's better than Shapiro by a country mile, but I would have preferred Kelly, probably.

Walz seems to be a pretty straightforward tax-and-spend Democrat.

Last edited:
Walz once got a DUI, driving 96mph in a 55mph zone, with a BAC nearly twice the legal limit.

Should be a guaranteed 50-state blue shutout.

IMG_4881.gif

Team Red and Team Blue figuring out who can out-dumb each other with their VP pics

I give Kamala credit for leaning into the progressive she is, instead of the moderate she was pretending to be

None of this actually matters, because in the end…no one really cares. Still, Shapiro was the no-brainer pick just like Scott should have been for Trump

Last edited:
View attachment 1378885
Team Red and Team Blue figuring out who can out-dumb each other with their VP pics

I give Kamala credit for leaning into the progressive she is, instead of the moderate she was pretending to be

None of this actually matters, because in the end…no one really cares. Still, Shapiro was the no-brainer pick just like Scott should have been for Trump
Go ahead and tell us why you think Walz is a dumb pick.

Latest Posts

Back