2024 World Endurance ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter ScottPuss20
  • 1,005 comments
In the end a bit worrying that in year two of LMH/LMDH regs again the LMH manufacturers were fighting for the LM win as brainchilds of ACO/FIA while the cheaper LMDH brainchilds of the manufacturers/IMSA were left behind without a real chance winning LM. All while beeing very competitive in all other WEC events without these long straights. This can potentially be the case all manufacturers going the LMDH route were afraid off since without BoP it's quiet clear that LMH cars are far more advanced to LMDH and as we can now see even with the BoP and huge weight added (Toyota) or big power reduction (Ferrari) they're still going strong at LM. Pace alone would've made it a first 5 spots for LMH finish this year. I am a bit worried another year of learning and improving LMH will open the gap even further to LMDH and the actual BoP can't fix these differences in LMH aero advantages not beeing based on LMP2.

The mild penalty decisions + delayed door case bringing the winning Ferrari into his pit window while the same issue in the same race was cleared immediately hours before don't help either.

Do you know what is the meaning of the virtual tank graphics shown during the race?
The Italian commentetor said something about no being the actual (or estimated) fuel %, but something related to KJoul and hours (quantity of KJouls per hour maybe)

Thanks

it's quiet clear that LMH cars are far more advanced to LMDH
Glickenhaus, Vanwall and Isotta Frascini disliked your post :D
zjn
Do you know what is the meaning of the virtual tank graphics shown during the race?
It's an attempt to make the hypercars more "equal" for the bop; make them come to the pitlane around the same time when they race with the same speed.

zjn
The Italian commentetor said something about no being the actual (or estimated) fuel %, but something related to KJoul and hours (quantity of KJouls per hour maybe)

Thanks
From what i remember of what the English speaking Eurosport commentators said about it, its an estimated fuel level including whatever addition the hybrid adds. How they get to these figures i'm not sure. A fixed fuel flow at the pump along with someone timing it i would imagine.

With these figures being there for anyone to see, i think it removes some eliment of strategy from a teams pit stop.

From what i remember of what the English speaking Eurosport commentators said about it, its an estimated fuel level including whatever addition the hybrid adds. How they get to these figures i'm not sure. A fixed fuel flow at the pump along with someone timing it i would imagine.

With these figures being there for anyone to see, i think it removes some eliment of strategy from a teams pit stop.
From what I remember, there is a limit to the amount of energy that can be used during a stint. How they measure how much is used is calculated from torque sensors in the drive axles. I remember the commentators saying at some point that those sensors doubled the cost of running the LMGT3 cars.

I get that all these BOP regs are there to attract as many manufacturers as possible, something that has certainly worked as intended, but i wonder if it hasn't left much room for innovation.

There's a great deal of reliability across the whole grid now, its getting to point where the only factors altering the starting grid from the finishing results are weather conditions and unforseen damage, mainly from tyre blowouts.

I get that all these BOP regs are there to attract as many manufacturers as possible, something that has certainly worked as intended, but i wonder if it hasn't left much room for innovation.

There's a great deal of reliability across the whole grid now, its getting to point where the only factors altering the starting grid from the finishing results are weather conditions and unforseen damage, mainly from tyre blowouts.
We've got V6s, flat plane turbo V8s, cross plane N/A V8s, and we'll soon have N/A V12s. I'll take variety & competitiveness over innovation for this series! The series would be only half as interesting to me if Cadillac dropped out, for instance.

In the end a bit worrying that in year two of LMH/LMDH regs again the LMH manufacturers were fighting for the LM win as brainchilds of ACO/FIA while the cheaper LMDH brainchilds of the manufacturers/IMSA were left behind without a real chance winning LM. All while beeing very competitive in all other WEC events without these long straights. This can potentially be the case all manufacturers going the LMDH route were afraid off since without BoP it's quiet clear that LMH cars are far more advanced to LMDH and as we can now see even with the BoP and huge weight added (Toyota) or big power reduction (Ferrari) they're still going strong at LM. Pace alone would've made it a first 5 spots for LMH finish this year. I am a bit worried another year of learning and improving LMH will open the gap even further to LMDH and the actual BoP can't fix these differences in LMH aero advantages not beeing based on LMP2.

The mild penalty decisions + delayed door case bringing the winning Ferrari into his pit window while the same issue in the same race was cleared immediately hours before don't help either.
Toyota's pace was a surprise. I agree with the Porsche drivers that they were sandbagging the first few rounds of the season.

But Ferrari's was not. The FIA like having Ferrari run at the front, it's good for the show. So BOP favored them yet again this year. BOP favored them so much last year it was laughable. It wasn't quite as bad this year but still, the 499P was the quickest car with it's cartoonish top speed advantage. It was the only car that could overtake another hypercar on the straight and completely clear it by the next corner.

BOP was surprisingly good this year, except for the 499P and the 9X8.

#50's door issues reminded me of this. Probably has been posted already but whatever haha

Last edited:
#50's door issues reminded me of this. Probably has been posted already but whatever haha
#99 Proton also had door issue and the car was forced to get back to the pit to fix it, pretty much put them out of competition. Same thing happened back in Spa too but they managed to close the door during safety car that time.

I've never actually watched LM before, I'm ridiculously excited.

GT7 is to thank for it: was always just an F1 man, since getting into GT7 I've become much more interested in other forms of motorsport and now wondering why it took my 36 years to realise I loved it all. 🤷‍♂️
"It" is just everything in racing...

zjn
Why iron dames will not be at spa24h?

Is it for Sarah recovery? For the crashed car? Both?
Yes, per @i386 's post in the IMSA thread.
Bad luck for the iron dames again: Bovy lost the car in a corner + wet track and crashed into a barrier
They managed to get in the top 5 after starting from the back of the field due to some problems with the engine (too much power or something).

I hope that's just because of the impact and the g force sensor and nothing serious...

Edit 2024-06-25:
Bovy had to stay over night in the hospital (Source: https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/bovy-released-from-hospital-after-watkins-crash/) and today it was announced that Iron Dames/Iron Lynx withdraw the entry from the 24h of Spa (Source: https://sportscar365.com/sro/world-challenge-europe/iron-dames-withdraw-from-24h-spa/)

zjn
Why iron dames will not be at spa24h?

Is it for Sarah recovery? For the crashed car? Both?
Yes, per @i386 's post in the IMSA thread.
Tomorrows race is going to be mega

I got a cabinet full of snacks and some red bull chilling in the fridge.
Discuss the Spa 24 here:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back