Alfa Romeo Name Returns to F1 Alongside Sauber in 2018

With Ferrari already in F1, I'm not sure what benefit FCA will get from having Alfa Romeo in the sport as well, unless this is strictly for marketing purposes.

With Ferrari already in F1, I'm not sure what benefit FCA will get from having Alfa Romeo in the sport as well, unless this is strictly for marketing purposes.

It's a logical extension of Alfa Romeo's 2017 presence, this time the name's going on a whole engine instead of just on the side of a car.

From Jalopnik:

https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/2018-sauber-f1-car-will-be-pretty-but-bland-despite-all-1820942968
pbzxjag0x5xoumhxch53.jpg

Alfa Romeo fans love to go on and on about beauty and soul, but we’re talking about a modern-day Formula One car here. We’re just lucky this isn’t the year of the penis nose with those. Sauber unveiled their Alfa-branded F1 livery today, and it’s okay. It’s not a gorgeous 4C in F1 car form. It’s just okay.

This isn’t next year’s Alfa Romeo Sauber car yet, but just the 2018 livery shown on a car. We’ll see the car itself much later.

Sauber also announced today at their press event in Italy that reigning Formula 2 champion Charles Leclerc will be replacing Pascal Wehrlein for 2018, driving alongside returning driver Marcus Ericsson. This is Ericsson’s fourth season with the team. Ferrari’s former third driver Antonio Giovinazzi will now be Sauber’s third driver—in for some testing and first in line to drive if one of the main two can’t race.

qd4fuyvnrivjkdoehyng.jpg

tvug4eywjvbjsuvt9bpz.jpg

lzlmrm8ph0wujw0jepjk.jpg

bl3lvjiv4e8s4gjeg34h.jpg

I agree that it's boring but I like the idea of teams revealing their liveries separate from the car. I think people want to see the livery almost as much if not more than the car itself.

I know it's a concept but I really like it, just slap some other sponsors on it in black on the white areas and it will be good to go!

Take it...swap the red and white for black, and give it gold wheels with a proper clover-leaf somewhere and it'd be fine.

Where is the Quadrifoglio? They aren't going to do an Alfa race car without one, right?! It's probably a trivial thing for most of you, but to me it's one of the most important parts of a racing Alfa.

Anyway, assuming the actual livery next year is the same shape and colour as this one, it's OK. I wasn't really expecting anything else to be honest, just some red and a lot of something else to differentiate it from Ferrari, although I did hope for black.

Also, having Alfa as pretty much a Ferrari B-team is a bit disappointing, but I'll root for them until I phisically can't root for anything.

I hope that's a genuine livery concept and that they don't stray too far - it looks great :)

Where is the Quadrifoglio? They aren't going to do an Alfa race car without one, right?!

That will surely be there, hopefully in a proper 3-point memorial badge rather than a circle.

I like it, although it could use a little red up front.

I also don’t get why people complain so much about simple liveries when at the same time a large majority of the most iconic liveries are extremely simple.

What a wasted chance to show a nice livery... I really hope it is just a concept, before the final form.

It's simple in terms of design. I'd rather more than your basic angles and a couple stripes up the nose.

From Jalopnik:

https://blackflag.jalopnik.com/2018-sauber-f1-car-will-be-pretty-but-bland-despite-all-1820942968
pbzxjag0x5xoumhxch53.jpg

Alfa Romeo fans love to go on and on about beauty and soul, but we’re talking about a modern-day Formula One car here. We’re just lucky this isn’t the year of the penis nose with those. Sauber unveiled their Alfa-branded F1 livery today, and it’s okay. It’s not a gorgeous 4C in F1 car form. It’s just okay.

This isn’t next year’s Alfa Romeo Sauber car yet, but just the 2018 livery shown on a car. We’ll see the car itself much later.

Sauber also announced today at their press event in Italy that reigning Formula 2 champion Charles Leclerc will be replacing Pascal Wehrlein for 2018, driving alongside returning driver Marcus Ericsson. This is Ericsson’s fourth season with the team. Ferrari’s former third driver Antonio Giovinazzi will now be Sauber’s third driver—in for some testing and first in line to drive if one of the main two can’t race.

qd4fuyvnrivjkdoehyng.jpg

tvug4eywjvbjsuvt9bpz.jpg

lzlmrm8ph0wujw0jepjk.jpg

bl3lvjiv4e8s4gjeg34h.jpg

I agree that it's boring but I like the idea of teams revealing their liveries separate from the car. I think people want to see the livery almost as much if not more than the car itself.

Where is the Quadrifoglio? They aren't going to do an Alfa race car without one, right?! It's probably a trivial thing for most of you, but to me it's one of the most important parts of a racing Alfa.

Anyway, assuming the actual livery next year is the same shape and colour as this one, it's OK. I wasn't really expecting anything else to be honest, just some red and a lot of something else to differentiate it from Ferrari, although I did hope for black.

Also, having Alfa as pretty much a Ferrari B-team is a bit disappointing, but I'll root for them until I phisically can't root for anything.
For now that is the case not for ever though. Next regs hopefully more

Exposure of the Brand.

So we can assume the radiator will fail five laps in... right? :lol:
Not from my experience with Alfas which have had solid mechanics. From my experience though the whole car will fall apart though.

It needs to be dark blood red with the name in script across the engine cover.

If you are going to do marketing, do it properly.

I like it as a livery. Whether it makes it onto the 2018 car unchanged is another matter.

Alfa has always, like Ferrari, used Italian racing red as it's racing colours. Unlike it's more illustrious stable-mate It hasn't really had a continuous 'works' racing programme, so rosso has become synonymous with Ferrari, especially in F1. A lot of racing Alfas from the 60's had a large white section on the front, so it makes sense to adopt this as an element of their new F1 livery.

But i think that what has been shown is little more than a hastily put together mock-up for the announcement.

Back