400PP Nordschleife Shootout

• Thread starter CSLACR
  • 1,639 comments
I kinda figured out the "I don't even", it's the "not even once" that really doesn't make sense.
It's certainly not my craziest setup ever, that's for sure. ;)

Oops, I'll throw it on in a minute. :dopey:

What is then, I wonder?

Also, ROUND 1 REVIEWS, WHERE THEY AT?! :lol:

Agreed. I think you might run into the same problem I did in the first round though; plenty of grip, not enough go. I'm looking at your gearbox while knowing how the "high power" RX-8 delivers the power it has and just thinking you may have the ratios set a good bit too wide to keep it thinking happy thoughts.

You have to consider the gear ratios as calculated through the final drive. Yours are lower across the board in every gear (see below).

Settings:
RJ MCH
1st 4.750 3.145
2nd 3.378 2.235
3rd 2.775 1.710
4th 2.273 1.395
5th 1.858 1.180
6th 1.584 1.020
Final 3.585 4.450

Through Final Drive:
RJ MCH
1st 17.029 13.995
2nd 12.110 9.946
3rd 9.948 7.610
4th 8.149 6.208
5th 6.661 5.251
6th 5.679 4.539

What top speed are you able to achieve past the final bridge? I was able to hit 147. Also, is first gear ever used in any corner? I would guess not. I haven't driven your car yet, but it would seem that 3rd gear would be used in slower corners (vs. 2nd for mine) and 4th, 5th, 6th would be doing most of the work (vs. 3rd, 4th & 5th for mine).

I am no expert at transmission tuning yet, but I started to focus more on it after seeing what you did in the classic car challenge. In my testing, the transmission slider trick wasn't as fast as just adjusting the top speed to close to correct then dropping 1st and 2nd gear all the way down and even spacing for 3rd through 6th.

I'm not trying to say which is better. Just pointing out differences. My 2nd gear is almost identical to your 3rd. Interesting. Can't wait to try your car. My car felt really good under acceleration and good on the final long straight. The only place I felt that the trans had a limit was in some of the 5th gear uphill sections as it would stop climbing in MPH.

What is then, I wonder?

Also, ROUND 1 REVIEWS, WHERE THEY AT?! :lol:
They're done, I just need some spare time I can type them all in.

Craziest setup ever was either the Stratos for the rally shootout, or my setup for the Alfa Romeo race car in last weeks WRS.

Aero: 35/60

Torque split: 30/70
LSD: Front 6/6/17 Rear 7/12/5

Suspension:
10/-15
18.0/9.7
10/1
1/10
2/1

2.5/0.0
0.00/-0.90

BB: 6/6
ABS: 1
Gears were standard default - minimum ts, lowest final drive.

You have to consider the gear ratios as calculated through the final drive. Yours are lower across the board in every gear (see below).

Miscalculating that. "Final 1" is used only to set the gears, "Final 2" is the final actually used.

Settings:
RJ MCH
1st 4.750 3.145
2nd 3.378 2.235
3rd 2.775 1.710
4th 2.273 1.395
5th 1.858 1.180
6th 1.584 1.020
Final 3.585 4.450

Through Final Drive:
RJ MCH
1st 17.029 13.995
2nd 12.110 9.946
3rd 9.948 7.610
4th 8.149 6.208
5th 6.661 5.251
6th 5.679 4.539

What top speed are you able to achieve past the final bridge? I was able to hit 147. Also, is first gear ever used in any corner? I would guess not. I haven't driven your car yet, but it would seem that 3rd gear would be used in slower corners (vs. 2nd for mine) and 4th, 5th, 6th would be doing most of the work (vs. 3rd, 4th & 5th for mine).

Actually, with what my ratios wind up at with the "right" final, 1st will get a good bit of action. Also worth noting that my car doesn't rev near as high as yours (lower power "version" of the Renesis was built for automatics and lower-RPM torque).

Also, only 143 on the back straight from my car; less power with the same aero tends to do that. The more interesting places will be the shorter straights; I've got a wider powerband and "tighter" (gear-to-gear spacing) gearing, which should mean close to that full 228hp being used any time the throttle's down.

I am no expert at transmission tuning yet, but I started to focus more on it after seeing what you did in the classic car challenge. In my testing, the transmission slider trick wasn't as fast as just adjusting the top speed to close to correct then dropping 1st and 2nd gear all the way down and even spacing for 3rd through 6th.

The "slider trick" won't always show benefits (depends on the car) but having final drive slammed to minimum is always worth a bit in the acceleration department.

I'm not trying to say which is better. Just pointing out differences. My 2nd gear is almost identical to your 3rd. Interesting. Can't wait to try your car. My car felt really good under acceleration and good on the final long straight. The only place I felt that the trans had a limit was in some of the 5th gear uphill sections as it would stop climbing in MPH.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts. I've not personally driven my car (70 miles from my PS3, and it's broke anyway), just had Roj test a few parts combinations and tweak, erm... The rear spring rate because it got a little looser. :lol:

Edit: @CSLACR: Those dampers, again... I don't even, not even once, unless FWD drag car, and not even then. Same for the rear toe and diffs.

Well, I'm in Lapeer at the moment (at my dad's, trying to get pocket change together to buy what bits my car needs, then fix it) but yeah, sounds good.

CSLACR do you want top 3 picks again like in round 1?

here are my times

Praiano63 Lotus Elise= 8:27:642
Jackthalad Honda S200= 8:29:841
Motor City Hami Mazda RX8 Type S= 8:31:735
Cslacr Honda S200= 8:33:658
Rotary Junkie Mazda RX8 Type E = 8:34:618
Theo777 Lotus Elise= 8:35:324
Cykosis1973 Civic Type R =8:35:594
Hermanvongerman Honda Integra Type R= 8:36:462
Tris_73 Lexus IS200= 8:38:775
Onboy123 Fiat Punto HGT Abarth =8:40:214

some notes on the cars

Praiano63's elise make the green hell look like a kitten the car is very safe and stable with no play in the back, allowing you to get some serious speed in the corners.

Jackthalad's s2k was one of my faves because it was fast with a bit of play in the back but nothing you couldnt handle coming out of turns.

Motor City Hami's rx8 was a nice little drive also with a little play in the back to help it get around the corners. I just felt it was a tad to heavy to keep up with the s2k.

Cslacr s2k was a bit of the same as the two above a bit of exit oversteer but nothing dangerous, if i remember correctly to fix the oversteer in 2nd just do a quick up shift to 3rd and it brings the car back into line.

Rj's rx8 had some good speed but there was oversteer on corner exit, again nothing dangerous but it did slow it down quiet a bit.

Theo777's elise reminded me a lot of Praiano63's mr2 from round 1. It seemed fast but now looking at my times i guess not, but was stable enough to let you slide it around the corners in a nice gentle feeling. it needed a bit more power i think or another gear or something because 5 gears is just not enough.

Cykosis1973's civic was the first car i drove nothing really worth mentioning just a hint of enter understeer.

Hermanvongerman's integra was very much like cykosis's

Tris_73 if this was a drift shoot out this is200 would of won hands down lol oh god was that a great drive.

Onboy123's the sound... oh god the sound... i had to play with the volume low just so i didnt have to listen to it. I did notice exit understeer from the car and it was just slow in the 5th and 6th (when i got it), though i think 6th was used as a overdrive in this tune.

All the cars were great had fun driving them all... even the fiat... i hear it in my nightmares lol

my top 3 picks

Jackthalad's s2k best over all fun to drive

Tris_73's is200 it let me loosen up a bit, nothing says fun like drifting the karussell on command.

Onboy123's just because of that god awful sound... i want to smother it with a pillow so it stops making noise...

Last edited:
Corrected RJs final drive setting for comparison.

Settings:
RJ MCH
1st 4.750 3.145
2nd 3.378 2.235
3rd 2.775 1.710
4th 2.273 1.395
5th 1.858 1.180
6th 1.584 1.020
Final 3.585 4.450

Through Final Drive:
RJ MCH
1st 11.875 13.995
2nd 8.445 9.946
3rd 6.938 7.610
4th 5.683 6.208
5th 4.645 5.251
6th 3.960 4.539

RJ is actually geared taller (less torque) in each gear than my car. There should be zero wheel spin in 1st or 2nd gear. Just curious how close RJs car comes to the rev limiter in 6th?

Corrected RJs final drive setting for comparison.

Settings:
RJ MCH
1st 4.750 3.145
2nd 3.378 2.235
3rd 2.775 1.710
4th 2.273 1.395
5th 1.858 1.180
6th 1.584 1.020
Final 3.585 4.450

Through Final Drive:
RJ MCH
1st 11.875 13.995
2nd 8.445 9.946
3rd 6.938 7.610
4th 5.683 6.208
5th 4.645 5.251
6th 3.960 4.539

RJ is actually geared taller (less torque) in each gear than my car. There should be zero wheel spin in 1st or 2nd gear. Just curious how close RJs car comes to the rev limiter in 6th?

Rotary Junkie max speed under bridge 225 kmh=140 mph
MCH max speed under bridge = 232 kmh = 144 mph

The premium seems to have more grip and brake but it´s just a sensation, the ghost are the same speed in corner, perhaps due to difference of weight.

Here are my times, they are not hotlaps, i`ve made 1 lap to know the car and one more at racing cruising speed. I think i can take out 2 seconds to those laps time but this was not the purpose. Car like the Lexus IS 200 needed more than this, 4 laps, it´s a difficult car to drive and i made some mistake even at this cruising speed.

Comments about the cars will come later in this same post.

420ppp.jpg

><(((((°>°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Only small comments this time.:):)👍

1)Theo777 PSN: Zigatan Lotus Elise 111S '03*
Perfect balance ,very pleasant car,229 kmh top speed under bridge, the rear is free just what it need , for me the perfect tune. Very good , my driver choice.

2)Jackthalad - PSN: CHRYSTALBUDS Honda S2000 `03
Perfect balance ,very pleasant car,230 kmh top speed under bridge, the best S2000 for me, very good grip , agressive car , forgive anything. Very safe.

3) Motor City Hami-PSN:MotorCtyHamilton Mazda RX8 Type S '07
Perfect balance ,very pleasant car,good brakes and superior grip ,more top speed than RJ Type E = 232 kmh.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onboy123- PSN: Onboy123* Fiat punto Abarth `00
Understeer in,mid,out corner. Low to speed 218 kmh, 65/35 weight reaprtition don`t help. Only 418pp. Slower than his excelent 400PP Hyundai. ???

tris_73 - PSN: TRIS_73 *Lexus IS 200 (J) ’98
Dificult to go fast with this car, lot of over steer, positive front TOE and low rear TOE not adapted for this car. A -6/+14 for example change everything and allow agressive driving style for a faster lap.Good top speed 238 kmh under bridge.

CyKosis1973 - PSN: CyKosis1973 Honda Civic Type R (EP) '04
Very good ,safe,226kmh under bridge.Pleasant car to drive but i think that FF with comfort soft are passing their limits at 420PP. Need more traction like sport hard tires to be more agressive .

Hermanvongerman - PSN: Jontank5 Honda integra Type R (DC2) `95
Very good safe , better out corner than Cy `s car and better top speed, 230kmh ,same thing , i think that FF with comfort soft are passing their limits at 420PP. Need more traction .

Rotary Junkie - PSN: RJs_RX-7 Mazda RX8 Type E `03
The professor needed more time and a working PS3 for sure to work more this car like the 400pp.Good balance, little oversteer out corner, lower top speed than premium 225 kmh,great gears.

CSLACR - PSN: CSLACR Honda S2000 '06
Good balance ,safe, more sharp to drive than the other S2000, the rear is more free, need control in sucession of turn with good wheel input and right speed entry.Top speed under bridge 229kmh.

Last edited:
Well that's a bit of a bite in the ass.

Then again it's my fault for not realizing how overpowered the Loti are, not to mention that my own car is down on grip, and for what?

I love how Priaonos "cruising speed" lap in my ride is still 2 seconds faster than me going hell for leather.... Nice work mate!

:) Racing cruising speed , no time to watch the country.... just speed but safe.👍

><(((((°>°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

I started to test the cars, and can confirm praiano's race cruising speed is not ''slow'' 👍. i tested his car and currently testing the Theo777' 111S
I will probably have the time to test all the cars before deadline, will have another busy week at work though :(

Good job praiano, good lap time 👍

Wooo!! 10 out of 10 people FTW!!! :lol: Eh, expected, not much thought when into the Punto, it was more a fun drive rather than a balls out lunatic racer.

Sorry the Lexus wasn't much fun Praiano. I know it needs much more work. I was only able to spend about a quarter of the time I usually would on a car before the deadline.

I'll look forward to any comments you make on it, as I fully intend to finish this tune once I've finished turning a 20' trailer sailer into a giant floating mirror ball in the name of art. :crazy:

You're getting a driver pick from me Onboy... for most annoying engine sound... holy **** only endurance races make me not want to play GT5... that Punto is now on the list

dont worry Tris i found your is200 to be fun, no means the fastest, but i could easily drift the whole karussell without a problem when i took it out for just driving feel. I think that thing could drift the whole ring given to the right driver.

You're getting a driver pick from me Onboy... for most annoying engine sound... holy **** only endurance races make me not want to play GT5... that Punto is now on the list

dont worry Tris i found your is200 to be fun, no means the fastest, but i could easily drift the whole karussell without a problem when i took it out for just driving feel. I think that thing could drift the whole ring given to the right driver.

I'm thinking of painting it pink and turning it into my own troll car. :lol: *farrtttt* WEEEEEEE!!!! :lol:

Thanks ryan. Maybe I should whack some CH tyres on the back and repurpose it as my first legit drift tune! :dopey:

The shame is I have a 111R in my garage I was going to try for this, and for some reason I assumed it would be about the same speed. :lol:

Praiano's Elise is something wonderful though, 10 drivers are in for a real treat driving that car, FTW.

Everyone will get 5 laps, using a DS3, auto shifting and with driving line turned on. Deal with it :sly:

praiano63
LOTUS ELISE 111R `04
8:17.460
For me this car is all about the high speed grip. I was repeatedly startled by the speeds I was able to carry through the fast corners. Much like a child who is hurt, but hasn't yet seen the injury, when I looked down at the speedo and saw how fast I was going, I started crying. Out of the 5 laps allotted, I was only able to put in one 'clean' lap and that lap was untidy. I struggled in the low speed corners and braking into slow corners from high speeds. I lacked the finer control required to keep the car in check at these times, and this is where all of my red laps occurred. Of particular problem was from km13 to km15, this is where I invalidated a lot of my laptimes.

Overall an amazingly quick car, particularly at high speed. Requires a lighter touch at low speeds and under heavy braking.

Motor City Hami
Mazda RX8 Type S '07
8:19.116
A joyous car to drive. Everything Poomplex Derkhead The Second could have been. Fast and understated, with great brakes. The brakes are worth mentioning, because they dug me out of potential disaster on a number of occasions. When the rear gets a bit lairy, a decent yank on the anchors brings the whole back under control. Very impressive.

The only place I really struggled with this car was the final set of corners before the start/finish line. I was never really sure where to start braking and it took 2 laps before I could get through cleanly. Even then, I'm sure I could have gone through there faster than I did.

Last note, this car almost match Praiano's speed through Brünnchen, a tasty 87mph. Only 1 mph slower than Praiano's Lotus.

CyKosis1973
Honda Civic Type R (EP) '04
8:20.054
As always, the best damned car here. 1.5 sec slower than the fastest time I've run in it. TO be fair though, I'm sure I could have found another 1.5 sec for every car here.

Theo777
Lotus Elise 111S '03
8:21.104
Deserved a better time. Should have been faster than Hami's time, was in fact faster on the track, I just couldn't make 'clean' lap (by clean I mean without error, rather than a red lap). I'm not a good enough driver to properly learn the intricacies of this car within the 5 allotted laps. Just a few things to note, you'll get the best from it by using minimal inputs, let the car drive itself. Often you'll think you're done with a corner, but the car has other ideas. If you're too harsh with the throttle and steering, the car will continue to rotate, as listed in Theo's blurb. Brake light and brake early, set the car up for the corner and allow it to find its way through. Be aware also that the car will push wide in slow corners or when braking from high speed into slow corners. I suspect this is related to the added weight up front. Tighten that up and I see no reason why this car can't be as fast as, if not faster than Praiano's.

Ultimately my lack of skill let this car down and perhaps the 5 speed tranny. Not much Theo could have done about either :sly:

Hermanvongerman
HONDA INTEGRA TYPE R (DC2) '95
8:22.307
I beat the living 🤬 out of this car for 5 laps and it loved it as much as I did. I think it's evident where my driving skills lie.

That doesn't mean the car doesn't have issues. I'd like to see the rear dampers tightened, to resist weight transfer onto and off of the front wheels. Although I think it can be a personal thing, I'd like to see the ACCEL lowered a little as well. I've found it's crucial to minimise any heating of the outside front tyre, if either tyre should heat up on corner exit, I'd prefer it to be the inside tyre. As the outside is under the greatest load, it has to have as much grip as possible. As it is, the car is a little too squirrely into and out of corners, particularly corner exit, where the car really wanted to pull to the outside of the corner. Most noticeable on off camber corners.

My best time was set on my 4th lap, during my 5th I was ahead by a clear 1.2 secs climbing the hill, before I stuffed it, sorry.

Rotary Junkie
Poomplex Derkhead No. 2
8:22.725
It's well documented that this car has issues and I can confirm these issues. Mostly it revolves around corner exit, where the car is a little too keen to light up the rears. However, I found it to be predictable and occasionally useable. Sure, it's not the fastest way around the track, but this car is so forgiving that you can allow it to slide a little.

So far, other than testing of my own submission, this is the only car I've run 5 consecutive blue laps with. The times punctuated this nicely, first lap, slow. Second faster, third faster, fourth fastest, fifth 11.5 secs of spinning ;)

I, for one, look forward to seeing this car after RJ has had 20 mins with it in front of a working PS3 👍

Jackthalad
Honda S2000 '03
8:23.968
A very languorous car to drive, which I like. I like a lot. This car is mostly very relaxing to drive and I got drawn in driving it, there's plenty of warning when things are about to go awry. That being said, even with the great margin of error this car has, when you really start to load the car up, you can feel the impending doom mounting in equal measures. Stress this car too hard and it will spit you out. Aremberg and the sweeping right-hander leading up to Schwalbenschwanz were where this was most evident. Schwalbenschwanz in particular cost me an estimated 3 secs on what ended up being my fastest lap.

The only other thing I'd say hurt this car is it does have a bit of corner exit oversteer. This is manageable, hold on half power for a fraction of a second longer and then hoof it. Let me get on the power that fraction earlier, give me a bit more confidence under heavy braking and you've got a winning car.

CSLACR
Honda S2000 '06
8:24.494
Ye gads this thing is difficult to drive. It took 5 laps before I could post this time. Frankly, my time could have been faster, I lost about a second over the final third of the course against my third lap.

This thing has plenty of grip until the grip is gone and when it's gone, it's gone in spectacular fashion. For the first 4 laps, I spun at least once. The best advice I can offer is to use lift-off to cure any understeer and to avoid spinning on corner exit. Don't try to correct oversteer, unless you're highly adept with a controller or using a wheel. If you're like me and you do try, you'll end up in a tank slapper and smeared down the armco.

Overall I was a bit disappointed, I've driven a few of CSLACR's cars and have been impressed with them all (apart from that Lancia rally thing, coincidence..??). I'm sure the fast pilots will get the best from this car,
but in my mediocre hands, the car is a ... errr ... handful. Sorry, again.

Onboy123
Fiat Punto HGT Abarth
8:28.996
I'm familiar with this car at its lower PP and with grippier Sports tyres. With a full drivetrain work over, it gave my 400PP 207 GTi a good going over. So, all this in mind, it's a little disappointing to submit the time I have. I'm hoping that faster drivers will get more from this car, as I quite liked it in 400PP guise. The main problems with the car are its reluctance to change direction at low(ish) speeds. This makes the car slow through the tight twisting sections, I'm off the gas for too long, waiting for the nose to come round. The problem is exacerbated in high entry to low speed corners, where the car has a tendency to load the outside front under braking and then continue to load the tyre on exit. Far too often I found myself pushed
to the outside of a corner and scrabbling across the curb and dirt.

The second problem was the gearbox being too long. The car rarely, and by the 5th lap barely, made it into 6th gear. On the 5th lap, along the final straight, the car didn't shift up into 6th until I was under the bridge and on the way down the hill.

Overall a bit of a disappointment, I enjoyed this car first time round and feel it would have benefited from some changes. Sorry.

tris_73
Lexus Jellybean
8:35.012
If only, if only. Unequivocally the fastest car for me, just couldn't apply it. Sadly, up to 10mph slower through some corners as I was paranoid of the rear stepping out on me. Allied with some understeer if I went in too hot, ironically. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the car, keep it calm and you can make some decent headway with this car.

I've a mate who would probably like to see a 450PP SS version of this, nudge, nudge.

Driver's Choice

1st - Rotary Junkie - Poomplex Derkhead No. 2 - 5 consecutive blue laps, that's why it's here.
2nd - praiano63 - LOTUS ELISE 111R `04 - Grip, get some in your life, this car will give it to you by the bucketful.
3rd - Motor City Hami - Mazda RX8 Type S '07 - The Surprise Package. Lovely car to drive, the brakes probably made the podium finish.

Thanks to everyone, I've enjoyed this quite a lot 👍

{Cy}

Last edited:
Onboy123
Fiat Punto HGT Abarth
8:28.996
I'm familiar with this car at its lower PP and with grippier Sports tyres. With a full drivetrain work over, it gave my 400PP 207 GTi a good going over. So, all this in mind, it's a little disappointing to submit the time I have. I'm hoping that faster drivers will get more from this car, as I quite liked it in 400PP guise. The main problems with the car are its reluctance to change direction at low(ish) speeds. This makes the car slow through the tight twisting sections, I'm off the gas for too long, waiting for the nose to come round. The problem is exacerbated in high entry to low speed corners, where the car has a tendency to load the outside front under braking and then continue to load the tyre on exit. Far too often I found myself pushed to the outside of a corner and scrabbling across the curb and dirt.

The second problem was the gearbox being too long. The car rarely, and by the 5th lap barely, made it into 6th gear. On the 5th lap, along the final straight, the car didn't shift up into 6th until I was under the bridge and on the way down the hill.

Overall a bit of a disappointment, I enjoyed this car first time round and feel it would have benefited from some changes. Sorry.

Don't be sorry at all, I was hardly prepared for me being in Round 2, so I just knocked this up when I actually remembered I had to do something for it. Reluctant to change directions? Well, it needs to be driven a bit aggressively, and on second thoughts, changing the diff slightly to settings which will upset you immensely (i.e high numbers) would have helped that, and to be honest, the old 400PP gearbox topped out very quickly, so the slight compromise I made here was an attempt to get it going at a reasonable pace. And I obviously screwed it up big time. :lol:

Eh, entirely expected that this wouldn't do well, though being in the top 10 in the first round is more than enough an achievement for me to be pleased with, so sod round 2. :P

Don't be sorry at all, I was hardly prepared for me being in Round 2, so I just knocked this up when I actually remembered I had to do something for it. Reluctant to change directions? Well, it needs to be driven a bit aggressively, and on second thoughts, changing the diff slightly to settings which will upset you immensely (i.e high numbers) would have helped that, and to be honest, the old 400PP gearbox topped out very quickly, so the slight compromise I made here was an attempt to get it going at a reasonable pace. And I obviously screwed it up big time. :lol:

Eh, entirely expected that this wouldn't do well, though being in the top 10 in the first round is more than enough an achievement for me to be pleased with, so sod round 2. :P

Hocheichen and Adenauer Forst were particularly troublesome. There's a couple of other place around the track were you are required to dive from full lock to full lock, those are the changes in direction that the Punto struggles with. In my hands at least, so lets not hold that up as a benchmark, as my skills behind the wheel are dubious...

{Cy}

@Praiano & Cykosis
Thanks for the comments really nice. I tried to set this car up to have that bit of oversteer on exit but to be manageable, safe and most importantly fun.
Thanks again and good night 👍

I did some testing on Saturday and and getting back at it today. I can also confirm that praiano63's Lotus is fast, and a pleasure to drive. Even I was able to turn an 8:17 in it. (I'm starting to get the hang of RWD :)) Started testing Theo777's as well - still need to run a few more laps. Back to the track...

ryangt

...I thought you drove Roj's Insight didn't you? My ears are all bleeding from that CVT. :D

Haven't gotten to testing yet. SWTOR took all my time this last weekend and tonight I have to put in some OT at work. *curses lazy coworkers* At least I get paid for overtime hours. 👍

Back