ADAC RAVENOL 24h Nürburgring

• Thread starter zjn
  • 303 comments
Doesn't sound too expensive if one goes with camping. But I have to count in either plane tickets and rental car, or ferry ride and gasoline/toll if I use my own car.
@Touring Mars has done the research more recently than me, but the cost of the Euro Tunnel from UK to France and diesel was no doubt still less than a flight/car/hotel, and personally I wouldn't want to be that isolated from the atmosphere. If you're 'outdoors' minded, I'd absolutely camp if you can. Somewhere I've a video of myself crying tears of joy at 4am in my tent whilst some crazy Germans were blasting Ieven Polkka - couldn't sleep - didn't care!

Got a gasoline car and I live in Finland, so no eurotunnel for me, or cheap kilometres.
Eurotunnel was about €180 to do 26 miles... not cheap kms!

I've banged on about this before, but back in 2015 I did Nurburgring 24, Le Mans 24, Spa 24 (and also Creventic Silverstone 24)... for me N24 was the cheapest of the international races, and by far the best.

Anyway...

Congrats to Audi for the win...

Also.. Glickenhaus won SP-X... Whoooppp!!!! ... oh, wait...

Eurotunnel was about €180 to do 26 miles... not cheap kms!

I've banged on about this before, but back in 2015 I did Nurburgring 24, Le Mans 24, Spa 24 (and also Creventic Silverstone 24)... for me N24 was the cheapest of the international races, and by far the best.

Anyway...

Congrats to Audi for the win...

Also.. Glickenhaus won SP-X... Whoooppp!!!! ... oh, wait...
Took a quick customary glance at the ferry prices, roughly in the may/june for two people and a normal car.

506€ per person from Helsinki to Travemünde, ~489€ back.

506€ per person from Helsinki to Travemünde, ~489€ back.
Ouch.

Maybe flying would be better, as I say TM researched hotel rooms for this year so he'll have experience of that.

Failing that... if I go next year, I'll take a spare tent for wandering GTP-ers!

Last edited:
Kaz presenting trophies...

Nordschleife for GT7 confirmed

1717334792824.png

Last edited:
Kaz presenting trophies...

Nordschleife for GT7 confirmed

View attachment 1361232
Spa when?

@MatskiMonk I don't think I'm able to go next year. Currently unemployed/minimum hour contract, so unless I get lucky with either of my recent work applications, no travelling for me.

But, this is enough for me this year. Got hot fishsoup calling me from the kitchen.

Thanks to all of you fellow planeteers for keeping company during this race and I hope to see most of you in two weeks for the Le Mans.

:gtpflag: Bye!

Last edited:
Oh well, that's it for this year's 24 9 Hours of Nurburgring. Congrats to Audi for the outright victory, and to Seb's younger brother and his teammates for scoring a class victory in the X-Bow GT2.

This year's race definitely feels more empty to me than last year's edition. I mean, safety should always go before all else, that I agree, but do the Eifel mountains really have that unpredictable and that bad of weather conditions throughout the whole year, that it's either this or racing under wintry conditions where snow pretty much covers all sections of the track? Checking on the history, due to Covid the 2020 race was held on September, and even then they still had to stop for torrential rain. This 2024 edition is the 9th time in history that the race had to be suspended due to weather, and it just seems to be happening more and more often. I just can't help but wonder if moving the date would help things. :indiff:

This year's race definitely feels more empty to me than last year's edition. I mean, safety should always go before all else, that I agree, but do the Eifel mountains really have that unpredictable and that bad of weather conditions throughout the whole year, that it's either this or racing under wintry conditions where snow pretty much covers all sections of the track? Checking on the history, due to Covid the 2020 race was held on September, and even then they still had to stop for torrential rain. This 2024 edition is the 9th time in history that the race had to be suspended due to weather, and it just seems to be happening more and more often. I just can't help but wonder if moving the date would help things. :indiff:
We had May, we had June, we had September, in the early days we had April, July Octobre, the normal spot 2nd half in May or 1st half in June are fine. It's absolutely normal to have rain and then fog in the Eifel. Another month wouldn't change it.

Weather averages Eifel:

Month, day temp, night temp, rain days

Mai 17° / 8° 11 Tage

Juni 20° / 10° 11 Tage

Juli 22° / 12° 10 Tage

August 22° / 12° 9 Tage

September 18° / 10° 9 Tage

1717337306098.png

52 runnings and 8 or 9 red flags are fine. Spa has roughly the same issues right around the corner and look how often F1 ran (or didn't) in horrendous conditions in late or middle of the summer. And yes climate change doesn't help either.

Last edited:
We had May, we had June, we had September, in the early days we had April, July Octobre, the normal spot 2nd half in May or 1st half in June are fine. It's absolutely normal to have rain and then fog in the Eifel. Another month wouldn't change it.

Weather averages Eifel:

Month, day temp, night temp, rain days

Mai 17° / 8° 11 Tage

Juni 20° / 10° 11 Tage

Juli 22° / 12° 10 Tage

August 22° / 12° 9 Tage

September 18° / 10° 9 Tage

View attachment 1361249
Ok, so it's just stinkin' 💩 luck we're having lately then. Can only look forward to next year lol

Kinda weird that your most rainy months are at the end/beginning of the year too. 🤔

Thanks anyways.

Ok, so it's just stinkin' 💩 luck we're having lately then. Can only look forward to next year lol

Kinda weird that your most rainy months are at the end/beginning of the year too. 🤔

Thanks anyways.
Typical for european winter, mostly snow from Dec to March at the Eifel mountains :cheers:

1717339063799.jpeg

or mid April

1717339156918.png

Last edited:
@Savolainen83 @MatskiMonk

I paid €75 for my ticket - a bargain even with only 8 hours of racing!

I am staying in a hotel in Adenau and it was v expensive (and paid in advance/not cancellable), but I'm glad I got somewhere so close to the track, plus the shuttle buses did (eventually) work out quite well. Being able to get to and from Breidschied on foot in ca. 20 mins was invaluable, and being their until 2am was the highlight of my trip.

I think the adrenaline has run out and my tiredness has hit me like a tonne of bricks - my feet are aching and my legs are very sore - I've walked 122 km (and the entire length of the circuit) in 6 days, 28 km on Friday alone. But now I can barely move - had an awesome time though, should have done it when I was a bit younger and fitter though!

edit: The truth is, the entire race could have been cancelled and the trip would still have been worth it. The most fun part was actually after the red flag :lol:

Last edited:
Congrats to @Jimmy B, @F4H Super GT, Misha, Manuel and the rest of team on the result, and the culmination of a year’s work. You’ve made us sim racers proud.

Sucks that Steve couldn’t drive the big race, but hopefully Bilstein see the value in this lineup and more races come in the future 🙂
Sometimes i feel like we all take what SuperGT and Jimmy are doing for granted,like their whole career trajectory is nuts.
Jimmy literally went from a Shed to the Nurburgring P2 in his class.
Commentators had a great idea for GT with fog and darkness. that would be epic
already taken care of
images (87).jpeg

Last edited:
It's simple.. We need a 48 hour race that finishes when the 48 hours are passed since start, or the first car passes the 24 hour mark on the track.

If that doesn't work I have 96 hour race I would like to present to you.

Was pulling for them the entire way. Well earned second place whilst overcoming some adversity. I’ll take those last 3 sentences of the second paragraph as just…ummmm…throwaway lines

Having a car that was 7th on track be declared the winner based on not very well understood rules, by the fans at least, would be mental - but I think I understand what Rowe are saying. Provision is made for the race ending prematurely in order to allow for small timing errors, so timing at the end of the race is considered decisive even if (slightly) premature... but the race finished an hour early, from behind the safety car, so should have been red-flagged first, which would have lead to timing adjustments (beneficial to Rowe) - I think it's a fair challenge - if a race gets flagged early, does it ever happen without a Red Flag? As I say though, I don't think changing the result would be a good idea at all, the #98 was never a contender a wouldn't have earned it.

Back