ADAC RAVENOL 24h Nürburgring

• Thread starter zjn
  • 303 comments

zjn

Italy
Italy
hopefully I'm now doubleposting the topic...

ADAC RAVENOL 24h Nürburgring​

Thursday

08:3012:30RCN Rundstrecken ChallengeLeistungsprüfungNordschleife
09:1009:30Tourenwagen LegendenQualifyingGrand-Prix-Circuit
10:0010:25Cup und Tourenwagen TrophyQualifying 1Grand-Prix-Circuit
11:0511:40Tourenwagen LegendenRace 1Grand-Prix-Circuit
13:0014:45ADAC RAVENOL 24h NürburgringQualifying 1Full course
15:4016:15Cup und Tourenwagen TrophyRace 1Grand-Prix-Circuit
17:1519:15ADAC 24h-ClassicQualifying 1Full course
20:0023:30ADAC RAVENOL 24h NürburgringQualifying 2Full course

Friday

10:0012:00ADAC 24h-ClassicQualifying 2Full course
12:4013:05Cup und Tourenwagen TrophyQualifying 2Grand-Prix-Circuit
13:3014:45ADAC RAVENOL 24h NürburgringQualifying 3Full course
15:3016:05Tourenwagen LegendenRace 2Grand-Prix-Circuit
16:3017:05Cup und Tourenwagen Trophy Race 2Grand-Prix-Circuit
17:3019:15ADAC RAVENOL 24h NürburgringTop QualifyingFull course

Saturday

08:5212:10ADAC 24h-ClassicRaceFull course
12:4013:25ADAC RAVENOL 24h NürburgringWarm-upFull course
13:5514:30Tourenwagen LegendenRace 3Grand-Prix-Circuit
14:4515:30ADAC RAVENOL 24h NürburgringStarting gridFull course
15:40ADAC RAVENOL 24h NürburgringFormation lapFull course
16:00ADAC RAVENOL 24h NürburgringStart RaceFull course

Twitter link

This topic is for sharing info and comment the race

Today was my first day at the Nürburgring GP circuit, after a very brief visit to Breidscheid yesterday.

My day so far has been a mixed bag of frustration, stress, annoyance, wonder, fun, pain and relief - pretty much everything that I was expecting.

Aside from waiting for almost 3 hours on a free bus, only to then pay €25 for a cab that I could have (and should have) called instead of relying on the free shuttle buses, I did eventually make it to the Nurb and had a quick bite to eat and a beer before catching the start of the first Qualifier session for the race on Saturday.

The first driver I spotted was Jimmy Broadbent, and I had a short but very pleasant chat with him about facing the Nurb in the rain. Although I am personally mighty jealous, I don't envy him his job this weekend! I also saw Kelvin van der Linde as they were setting up the #27 Red Bull Huracan - love that car, and I hope they do well!

I then made either the best decision or the worst decision of the week so far - I decided to try out my 'Emergency Back-up Plan'... walking back from the GP circuit to my hotel - that's 6 miles, on dirt tracks, in the pouring rain, after 4 hours on my feet, mostly waiting at a bloody bus stop.

Still, it was fun, and at times just amazing... the camp sites are crazy - the GTP swear filter prevents a more accurate description. I can only imagine that it will be total and utter carnage come Saturday night.

It's good and bad though - good insomuch as there's a carnival atmosphere, really something amazing to see (if not quite feeling a part of it, but that's maybe not a bad idea...); bad in that there are already some key parts of the circuit (many, in fact) that are in effect inaccessible because people have been pitched up for days already. I do wonder how much of the actual race I'm going to see, as 'soaking up the atmosphere' isn't really a substitute for actually seeing what's going on on the track.

Still, it is a big relief to know that I can make it back to hotel in an emergency, and that my outdoor kit (and fitness levels!) are up the job. The tracks around the circuit were almost like rivers of mud already, however, so it was a very good test of me new shoes and choice of clothing.

I'm now back at my hotel for a beer, a sit-down, and to think about what I'm going to do tonight. I've already walked 11.5 miles/18km today, so I won't be going far tonight, but tomorrow promises to be another day of adventure.

E5476B90-C8AA-41EF-A272-557C7DDA02FB.jpegBEDA7F0F-C5A2-4D4A-8B67-CF0596037471.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm jealous @Touring Mars, even of the rain! (I may have neglected to mention the rain when I was waxing lyrical about the N24!)

Everybody I met was friendly so although getting to the fence was tricky in some places, when I 'let myself in', nobody seemed to have a problem with it... just my experience though.

The first driver I spotted was Jimmy Broadbent, and I had a short but very pleasant chat with him about facing the Nurb in the rain. Although I am personally mighty jealous, I don't envy him his job this weekend! I also saw Kelvin van der Linde as they were setting up the #27 Red Bull Huracan - love that car, and I hope they do well!
I'm not that familiar with driver names, would not be able to recognize any of them if not driver-dressed.
Just out of curiosity: are you press, somehow involved in the organization, paid a specific access, or the environment is allowing normal people to get close to cars and drivers?

zjn
I'm not that familiar with driver names, would not be able to recognize any of them if not driver-dressed.
Just out of curiosity: are you press, somehow involved in the organization, paid a specific access, or the environment is allowing normal people to get close to cars and drivers?
No special access needed for rear of the pit lane, and a few drivers were just milling around and speaking to people.

@MatskiMonk Yeh, i tried a couple of seemingly marked-off areas, and figure that its fine so long as you are not planning to pitch a tent - some of the rigs aroubd the track are nothing short of incredible!!

Last edited:
Is the race going to be geo blocked in the US again? I know last year it was supposed to be behind a paywall I think then at the last minute they released it to the ADAC YouTube channel.

Lancia Flavia Zagato is something I don't think I've ever seen before. At least racing on a track.

Where did the Mercedes 190E go? It was right on the back of that leading Porsche a lap or so ago.

Last edited:
And its geoblocked in the US. Have never had this happen all these years before and suddenly I can't watch this race now.

Beyond angry right now...

Last edited:
Back