Weekly Challenge Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GlockPants
  • 3,657 comments
No idea whether this pans out well :
View attachment 1368182
There's hope though ...
If you are running stock cars, this will be challenging.

• The AI Jimnys have slightly more power. Race length may be your worst enemy
  • The Ford GT '17 should be fine for the American Clubman 700. You will NOT be fine if the black Corvette C8 and the Ford Maverick are present.
  • The lead 997s (especially the yellow one) have freakishly high amounts of grip and very strong brakes - tough race even when you tune up to the PP limit. Bring all the grip that you can spare
  • I suspect the AI one make 356s will be slightly tuned and have higher top speed, more grip and better brakes - the 356 will need suspension tuning if you plan to fit grippy tires. The car becomes twitchier on sports and racing tires. The stock suspension IMO can't keep up past Comfort Softs
  • The Gr.1 races are always pain. The AI is quick and you start far behind. No weather to worry about here though. The track is a bit... long

Great to see a new one-make race this week, some cool liveries on the AI cars too. Rest were a good mix, SSRX isn't the most interesting but it does give you a chance to use some engine swapped stuff that's super quick in a straight line. Gr.1 at Sainte-Croix is fun and seems to be easier than I remember, but that might be down to the AI doing weird strategy choices. The Peugeot VGT that's usually super quick around there decided to do 3 laps, then 4, then 1 on its tyres for whatever reason. Ended up with the TS050 on RS/RS and won by >35 seconds, fun circuit for those cars.

This weeks selection:
full
How do you make the TS050 actually work? I've tried it only one time and it finishes the hybrid power in a matter of seconds, and then becomes useless.

Jimny was fun.
I enjoyed it, but something strange happened.

I won, and to my surprise I got the Clean Race Bonus, and 22,500 Cr.

I didn't have enough miles for the Daily Marathon, and I enjoyed the race, so I did it again - again, I won and got the CRB, but this time I got 45,000 Cr. :confused:

-

Sorry, talking BS - 22,500 Cr. was the CRB prize for the 1 lapper around Route Stage X :ouch:

Last edited:
Try a 400.00 peep Porsche 356 Speedster? Cheap sort of.

CM tire
Height adjustable Sport Suspension
Sport computer
Transmission Close-Ratio: Low
Sports air filter
Sports muffler
Sport brake system
Sport clutch & flywheel

Fun. But then add Sports hard tire, the peeps go up to 455! And you win.

Last edited:
weekly-challenge-202406w5-cars.jpg

I managed to knock the races out this morning (in normal difficulty). I got bored last night, so I picked out my cars and got them dressed up in team Moose colours.

Sardegna Windmills - Jimny - The car was lightly modified -- sports computer, sports air filter, and semi-racing exhaust -- from when I did this race when it was first introduced. I think that was the last time I drove this track, so I wasn't driving it very well. Still, I managed to pull off a P2 finish. Good enough for the first ticket.

Stage X - Infiniti VGT - This might be the dullest race in single-player mode. No modifications. I put the pedal to the metal. It was enough to land me a P2 finish. Good enough for the check mark.

Leguna Seca - Porsche 356 - I threw on SS tires, but otherwise left the car unchanged. It made for a challenging race. The other cars are obviously modified. I managed to get past all but one of them for a P2 finish. Good enough for the second ticket.

Lago Maggiore - 911 GT1 - I upgraded to SM tires, but that put me over the PP limit. I added a power limiter to get me back in range. This car is a rocket, but surprisingly understeery for a Porsche. Easy win for the fourth check mark.

St Croix - Bugatti VGT - No modifications to the car. I was a bit worried on lap 1 as the rest of the cars just took off into the distance. It didn't help that I'd forgotten the brake markers for the track so I was cautiously braking way too early for the first half of the race. On lap 2, the rubberbanding started kicking in, and I was able to start working my way up the field. Looking at the fuel gauge as the race started indicated that I'd have to make a pit stop. I decided to do that at the end of lap 3 to tip the rubberbanding further in my favour. It worked out pretty well. I passed a bunch of cars in the pits on the following laps, as well as a few out on the track. I was in P2, about 6 seconds back from the leader, for the final lap. The rubberbanding let me get within a second at the finish, but I'd have to settle for another P2. Good enough for the final ticket.

I won a turbo charger for a BRZ drift car on parts ticket, and the VW VGT roadster on the car one. As usual, the part is worthless to me, but I didn't own the car yet, so I'm happy with that. What's more, I won the Honda VGT on my daily drive ticket. Happy days!

Last edited:
This weeks cars.
Gran Turismo® 7_20240628051459.png

Race 1 - The jimmy Cup - Easy win.

Race 2 - Stock demon 220+mph made for a easy win for this one.

Race 3 - Stock only added SS tires finished second that lead car with barnett was to fast.

Race 4 - The Porsche cup - Used my 918 for this on RM tires no problems for the win.

Race 5 - To stay with the Porsche theme I used my 919 p1 for the win.

Daily marathon gave me a 6* ticket stuff which gave me 500K

The 6* car ticket gave me a case of deja vu as I got the same car again.

Last edited:
How do you make the TS050 actually work? I've tried it only one time and it finishes the hybrid power in a matter of seconds, and then becomes useless.
The TS050 and R18 do seem bugged still compared to what they were like in GT Sport, and compared to the 919. All 3 are supposed to dump all their hybrid up until around 250 kph, those two just don't always charge as much as they should. The acceleration is what makes those 3 cars so fast so making sure you get a good exit and can get on the power early is really the key. Also locking the wheels under braking will negate a lot of the charge you'll get, so watch out for that. I'd also be wary of turning the downforce up super high, this applies to a lot of the Gr.1 cars though as they'll end up slower over a lap because of how slow they are in a straight line, I think I run 1200/1400 on the TS050.

This week's:
C7 Corvette killed them all in the first straight. I was pegged at 224mph.
Special Stage Route X_ by 2cam16, on Flickr
Trusty offroad Jimny killed them all too. Won by 8 secs:
Sardegna - Windmills Reverse_ (2) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Had a good race with my Hawaiian Tropic inspired 911. Caught up with 1 and 2 and Blazsan did his usual shenanigans. He "spotted" me and just took off. No problem. Overtook him on lap 3 and won by 6 secs:
Autodrome Lago Maggiore - Full Course__1 (5) by 2cam16, on Flickr
my 551pp 165hp 356 on RM's took this race. Man this car is so twitchy. Won by around 8 seconds:
WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca__2 (11) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Remember folks, always avoid the sausage. :lol:
WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca_ (18) by 2cam16, on Flickr
I may or may not do the Gr.1.

Another lovely set of races! Won them all apart from the Porsche race - the leader was miles ahead for all of it but I got the gap down to 7 seconds at the end to come in second in a stock car.
Prizes OK, 6 star ticket parts (something worth Cr. 9,000 that I'll never use), Cr. 150k and the car I won was the Ford GT LM Race car, Spec II, which I didn't have so saved Cr. 1.6M - very nice, thanks PD!

The Jimny AI cars I noticed had much better acceleration through the corners & higher top speed. I had to tune up my Jimny with semi racing exhaust, racing clutch wheel, 2nd stage weight reduction etc.

I managed to win Willow Springs with stock Jimny but with Sports Soft tyres. The grip from these helped me win in 1st try. But the Snow & Dirt races were impossible to win with stock Jimny. It was fun nonetheless. The snow race then became simpler whereas the dirt race needed skill to win.

The Stage X race I took the mighty Ford GT '14 which let me reach 350 km/h & take the lead. The Corvette was behind me all the time around 2 seconds. I kept waving across the track as I've noticed long back the AI car behind will follow you precisely to get the slipstream. I drove on the outside shoulder which the Corvette didn't do so that's a good place to be if not giving the behind car a slipstream.

The Porsche race I again noticed the AI cars (some of them at least) had more power. I had to tune my car to be on terms with the AI. It was real fun drifting the car through the turns on my sports soft tyres. I had again gone for semi racing exhaust, sports computer, spoiler etc.

Just a question to you all as I'm right back from Laguna Seca : How did you set up your 356 to win the race ?
If just picking a well-tuned overpowered car is not an option ...
I needed SH tires, racing ECU, Exhaust, manifold and filter for 450 PP all in all and I think the only reason I've won the race is
T. Barnett got stuck in traffic. And my guess is this is scripted as well.
PD's approach to let us again run against a car that basically can be as fast as ever needed is ... FACEPALM :banghead:

Different opinions ?

Last edited:
Once again a set of weekly challenges that didn't offer enough I like to take it seriously. So I just was trying to have some fun.

First race was Jimny at Windmills. I hate Rally but I have to admit that the Jimny feels ok on this track so it wasn't as bad as I thought. And it looks like all my opponents forgot to tune their cars, so my maxed out (non swapped) Jimny absolutely crushed the competition.
1000013379.png

Race #2 was the American Clubman at Stage X. And nothing screams "Murica" more then a '~1000HP 'Vette with Stars & Stripes and an Eagle, right? Easy win.
1000013394.png

For the 3rd race I travelled to Laguna Seca, California, with my good, old Porsche Speedster. I was locked to my seat, lit the engine up, reved it so high that there was a lot of smoke in the pipes and just chilled for a few laps while driving to a smooth, relaxed victory🙂
1000013381.png

The fourth race was the Porsche Cup at Lago Maggiore. I used the Taycan for this, a car I have barely ever driven before. Gave it some upgrades (sport suspension, sport brakes, ECU) and boy, what a huge surprise! I'm not a big fan of EVs in this game but the Taycan felt incredibly good and easy to drive! The acceleration is insane and while you can clearly feel the weight it's pretty stable and has good braking power also. I struggled a lot on this track at the Ferrari Challenge and didn't do the Porsche Cup before, so I was really baffled to win this with the Taycan at first try! I officially like this car now😄
1000013395.png

The last race, Gr.1 at Saint Croix, was the one I enjoyed least. I don't like the track and I rarely ever drive high downforce cars in this game. Also I'm pretty sure that we had this exact same race just a few weeks ago. I did the same I did then and used my "cheat car", the Mazda LM55, for a non-stop victory.
1000013396.png
1000013397.png

So, what did I win? Yeah, of course another VGT:

1000013398.png

Drove it for about 5 seconds until I found out that it doesn't have a cockpit view and immediately sold it.

1000013399.png

Last edited:
St Croix is weird. I enjoy most of the lap, but I find the section after turn 3 until the bridge impossible to learn. That section is similar to much of Cape Ring was in GT5/6 in that it all looks the same and has no good landmarks so it just will not stick in my mind.
I completely agree. I actually hate the last sector after the long straight starting with that sharp right hander. i almost never get that right.

St Croix is weird. I enjoy most of the lap, but I find the section after turn 3 until the bridge impossible to learn. That section is similar to much of Cape Ring was in GT5/6 in that it all looks the same and has no good landmarks so it just will not stick in my mind.
This. I rarely run that layout and I crash in just about all those early turns .

Just a question to you all as I'm right back from Laguna Seca : How did you set up your 356 to win the race ?
If just picking a well-tuned overpowered car is not an option ...
I needed SH tires, racing ECU, Exhaust, manifold and filter for 450 PP all in all and I think the only reason I've won the race is
T. Barnett got stuck in traffic. And my guess is this is scripted as well.
PD's approach to let us again run against a car that basically can be as fast as ever needed is ... FACEPALM :banghead:

Different opinions ?
I did this one a couple times on CS and was able to get third a couple times, then I put some SH tires on it and won it fairly easily with an otherwise stock Speedster. They are really slow in turns 1-5, but super slow in turn 6 (the L kink before the hill). Time that one right as you can pass groups of them at a time. Same goes for the L hander after the corkscrew... time it right, let the car fall into the apex on throttle, and pass em all up. Now that I think about it though, the AI are pretty bad everywhere at Laguna Seca! Haha.

I did it once again on RS and that's pretty wild. You better not ever let the rear step out or you're done... the snap is crazy! But if you race it gently it is actually very capable and pretty fun. Treat it like the shifter cart and barely move the steering wheel and its a good time!

@Sir Crashalot, there are no repeats this week. We previously had the Grand Valley (late April), Fuji (the week prior), Daytona (early March after the 1-week hiatus), and Suzuka (mid-February) Gr.1 races.

This wasn't a particularly fun week. My lightly-modified Jimny did take Sardegna relatively-easily...once I figured out how to get by the traffic, and the 2006 Ford GT cruised at Route X. I needed to extensively modify a 356 hardtop, with all the bells, whistles (standard custom transmission, and no nitrous) and CS tires, to deal with Barnett's almost-equally-modified (except for tires) Speedster. With that in front, I squeaked out a 1.6-second win in 7:11.

The Lake Maggiore Porsche Cup was hardly easier, while the St. Croix Gr.1 took hundreds of miles and the Red Bull X2019 set to some fuel saving (FM 2) to eventually get the win.

Overall, this was the hardest set of Challenges that took the 3rd-longest, and yielded a per-hour guaranteed Cr./hour that was also in the bottom 4.

@Sir Crashalot, there are no repeats this week. We previously had the Grand Valley (late April), Fuji (the week prior), Daytona (early March after the 1-week hiatus), and Suzuka (mid-February) Gr.1 races.
Hm, I believe you but I could swear I've done this exact race some time ago. Maybe I did one of the other Gr.1 races for the weeklies and then did St. Croix to finish the menu book.

I did this one a couple times on CS and was able to get third a couple times, then I put some SH tires on it and won it fairly easily with an otherwise stock Speedster. They are really slow in turns 1-5, but super slow in turn 6 (the L kink before the hill). Time that one right as you can pass groups of them at a time. Same goes for the L hander after the corkscrew... time it right, let the car fall into the apex on throttle, and pass em all up. Now that I think about it though, the AI are pretty bad everywhere at Laguna Seca! Haha.

I did it once again on RS and that's pretty wild. You better not ever let the rear step out or you're done... the snap is crazy! But if you race it gently it is actually very capable and pretty fun. Treat it like the shifter cart and barely move the steering wheel and its a good time!
Thank you very much, appreciate it.
Basically you confirm what I experience myself and how I'm trying to drive, successfully at times, even ... :lol:
I've done two more runs after breakfast on this exact setup you described, a stock car on SH tires, 418 ish PP.
Came in second in the first race, RT 7.23, 9 sec behind Barnett. To my surprise I've won the other, RT 7.21, 2 sec ahead.
Maybe I'm just too slow with this car / track combo.
I ran low 1.50 laps quite consistently with an 1.48 outlier, but that's not enough for a safe chance to win.
Everything depends on Barnett advancing through the traffic.

@Eggstor

... to deal with Barnett's almost-equally-modified (except for tires) Speedster. ...

How do you know the modifications on his car ? I'm not good at these things :guilty: !

Last edited:
Played the last 2 races today.....

Won the Porsche race with the Carrera '92. It was fun driving around that track.

The St. Croix track can be fun or boring depending on the car. My first attempt I used 929CP car but it wasn't good enough. I then used the Sf23 Super Formula on RM tyres with fuel mode 2. I pitted just for refueling at the end of lap 5. It was fun driving the SF car as the lead AI cars are fast here.

Back