Am I the only one underwhelmed by the car selection?

I think it's a pretty solid list. And yes I played sport since day 1, I'm glad the base game seems to to be in really good shape and a fun new way to collect cars. They will add so much more to this game it's not really a huge issue. Yes definitely many cars you think would be there aren't but I'm sure they will come just like sport added new stuff.

Here I am thinking the carlist is too heavily weighted for new cars...
It is, but not to the very newest models, ie 2017 - 2022.

Here is a graph. Note that 2017 is massively high because of all the fictional Gr.3, Gr.4, Gr.B and VGT cars introduced in GTS that don't have a date applied. I gave them all the arbritary year of 2017 since the game was released that year and they're obviously meant to be 'new'.

cars.png

As you can see, it really peaks around 2011-2017. Not much afterwards.

Then I'm not sure what the OP is expecting. Obviously cars from GTS are going to be in GT7. Was the OP expecting a full and total remake of each model of car for GT7? And as time goes on GT7 will add new cars. Point is, GT7 is in a much better place at launch than GTS was
I'm expecting NEW CARS!!! How is that difficult to understand?! Every other major sim-cade franchise manages to bring fresh content to their games, so why can't PD? Especially when you consider PD is one of, if not THE premier driving/racing dev studios in the world, it's even more insulting that they aren't on the cutting-edge, as they absolutely have the money to afford it. But no, instead they let series staples like Lotus walk because they're too damned cheap to pay the license.

They certainly got it right up through GT5; every one of those games was a snapshot in time regarding motorsports of the years it was active. I expected the same for GT7, especially since this is the first mainline entry in a decade. If I didn't know better, I'd bet money this game was made in 2016 due to the near total lack of anything over the last 8 years, especially when it comes to road cars.

Where is the Porsche 992/982? BMW G80's and G82's, hell any versions of M1 and M6? C8 Corvette? GT-R T-spec? Mustang Mach-1? Various sporty sedans from manufacturers all over the world. We have a freaking Atenza in game, so where are the newer comparable offerings from Honda, Toyota, Ford, Mercedes, BMW, Volks, Audi. The entire reason Gran Turismo became so immensely popular was because it offered a little bit of everything, not just hyper cars and racers. You could find your family's car as a kid and turn it into a 500bhp drag machine. While it has always had older cars, it also always had brand new vehicles AT LAUNCH.

Plus, this is about more than the cars. Where is the rest of the cafe mode? It just stops after National licenses... Without some of the international and super license races, credit grinding is horrendously un-fun and inefficient. But it's totally cool that they just left half of the career mode out of the game, lol.

That's awesome that you're 100% pleased with GT Sport being re-sold to you with a new coat of paint, but I'm not pleased with this in the slightest.

I'm expecting NEW CARS!!! How is that difficult to understand?! Every other major sim-cade franchise manages to bring fresh content to their games, so why can't PD? Especially when you consider PD is one of, if not THE premier driving/racing dev studios in the world, it's even more insulting that they aren't on the cutting-edge, as they absolutely have the money to afford it. But no, instead they let series staples like Lotus walk because they're too damned cheap to pay the license.

They certainly got it right up through GT5; every one of those games was a snapshot in time regarding motorsports of the years it was active. I expected the same for GT7, especially since this is the first mainline entry in a decade. If I didn't know better, I'd bet money this game was made in 2016 due to the near total lack of anything over the last 8 years, especially when it comes to road cars.

Where is the Porsche 992/982? BMW G80's and G82's, hell any versions of M1 and M6? C8 Corvette? GT-R T-spec? Mustang Mach-1? Various sporty sedans from manufacturers all over the world. We have a freaking Atenza in game, so where are the newer comparable offerings from Honda, Toyota, Ford, Mercedes, BMW, Volks, Audi. The entire reason Gran Turismo became so immensely popular was because it offered a little bit of everything, not just hyper cars and racers. You could find your family's car as a kid and turn it into a 500bhp drag machine. While it has always had older cars, it also always had brand new vehicles AT LAUNCH.

Plus, this is about more than the cars. Where is the rest of the cafe mode? It just stops after National licenses... Without some of the international and super license races, credit grinding is horrendously un-fun and inefficient. But it's totally cool that they just left half of the career mode out of the game, lol.

That's awesome that you're 100% pleased with GT Sport being re-sold to you with a new coat of paint, but I'm not pleased with this in the slightest.
Your original post and this are very clear. PD has found a nice workaround by adding gr cars which are for the most part like vision cars. They are cheap to add and they can easily claim their 400 plus cars and yeahh sure new cars will come out only it will be too late and people will have rightfully already moved on by the time you get the them (assuming they add decent cars and not other vision fake things).
As I see things, and also reading what's going on with the online, gt's fair price For ME is 20-30 euros (as a gt sport dlc) while waiting for forza to come out and get an xbox.
I remember gt5 and the famous 550p races and the shuffle races were super fun. By now though I would have expected a massive step forward from that point instead people are celebrating just to get part of the content that was available.
What have they done so far: pictures and music rally? Ahah seriously

Last edited:

Here is a graph. Note that 2017 is massively high because of all the fictional Gr.3, Gr.4, Gr.B and VGT cars introduced in GTS that don't have a date applied. I gave them all the arbritary year of 2017 since the game was released that year and they're obviously meant to be 'new'.

View attachment 1121086

Yeah those are still very new as far as I'm concerned.

Just load me up on eighties and nineties cars and I'll be happy. Modern stuff does nothing for me.

View attachment 1121086

Well done! This perfectly exemplifies what I'm talking about in an easy to understand format. That is not the distribution one would expect when graphing data from a game released in 2022. Again, it's GT Sport + DLC, that's essentially what the graph shows.

To be clear, I'm not talking about hundreds of new cars. 1-2 models from 2020-22 for most of the major auto makers would drastically change the perception of this game appearing to be 5-6 years old on its release date. 20-25 new-ish cars at launch, from one of Sony's oldest flagship studios, in their first numbered release since 2013 AND debuting on the new console... I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. In fact that's the bare-minimum, especially if one wants to endear themselves to a new generation of potential GT fans in the same way GT1-GT5 endeared itself to my generation.

Wish I'd have had the idea to plot the vehicles like this, my argument could have been far less wordy!

I had a feeling years ago that once all cars were "premium" in GranTurismo, the list would be a lot thinner. That said, i'm going to give them a chance before I make a big fuss. Now if we get close to the end of the year and they've only added like 7 cars, i'm going to be pissed.

I still think they should've brough back standard cars. When i was younger i wanted all the detail, and wasn't crazy about the standards cars. Now i just want variety, i could care less if the grain of the leather in the backseat is perfect. Heck i drive in the hood camera view anyway, so i really don't care that much about the interiors in general.

Think it's you who doesn't know. Car modellers only model cars. That's all they do. They don't start testing and debugging in the last year of development. Same for the people recording the sounds, or doing the physics. Everyone has their jobs, and there is no reason they can't still send in new car models to add in the last year of development.

Forza Horizon 5 managed to launch with a much larger number of recent model cars, again disproving your theory.

Again, how do you know they haven't already designed more cars but they haven't got into the game because of testing still going?

They should have more of a priority on newer cars rather than continue recycling content from GT6. It's a 2022 game after all. In the early GT's they had a lot of contemporary cars at the time but that's been in decline the past few games, whether due to nostalgic demands from older fans or contempt for modern cars. I also widely prefer driving race cars over road cars since GT5 and would rather have them in but of course not a popular opinion.

More cars the better. I've always been a fan of Gran Turismo, especially GT2 and GT4 because of the absurd high number of cars and also how unique a ton of them were. GT5 and GT6 was meh for me because while the car list was high, it had PS2 models in them, that's just unnaceptable.

Still, if we want extremely high detailed cars like the ones we have now, I am more than happy to wait for more DLC cars even if it takes a while. Quality over quantity always.

However, the OP has a point. The game really lacks newer 2021-2022 cars, and a game released in 2022 shouldn't have such absurdly low numbers.
And not only that, but it also lacks iconic cars in real life that the series had in the past.

-The New BMW M3 or M4
-The New Porsche 911s (although to be fair, PD will almost 100% release the new GT3 or the Turbo S in the game considering how bang on they have been with Porsche, but again, it should've been at launch).
-The New Ferrari SF90
-The New C8 Corvette (again, PD will definitely add this, as they usually are pretty bang on with Chevrolet)
-The New Maserati MC20
-Newer GT3 cars...
And a ton of other cars from regular consumer brands, even japanese ones, that could've been in the game.
^And this just off the top of my head and from brands they have in the game.

And if the game reaches it's lifespan without some of the older cars appearing in the game it's just criminal, such as:

-Lexus LFA (I am shocked how this car, one of the japanese marvels, was not featured in this game at launch and it had appeared in GT5 and GT6)
-Porsche 918 Spyder AND McLaren P1 (it's a must to have the Holy Trinity hypercars in the game. Heck, even make an event with them or a mission, I'm also pretty sure the 918 Spyder will likely be added to the game, and we already have the P1 GTR so it's not far fetched to add the regular P1 when they've added both the LaFerrari and the FXXK)
-Toyota GT-ONE TS020 (another japanese iconic racing car and iconic in the series itself)
-Suzuki Escudo (iconic in the series, probably the car most people associate Gran Turismo with)
-Lancia Delta S4 (we have the Audi Quattro and the Peugeot 205, only the Lancia left to have the big 3 monsters of the Groub B era, plus this car was featured in GT4-GT5-GT6 as well)
-Lotus cars (Esprit and Elise, which also have a huge fanbase and the series add them in most GT titles in the past, in great number at that)
-Red Bull X Fan Car (let's be real, this car was THE feature of GT5-GT6, and was made with partnership with Red Bull and is EXCLUSIVE to the series, to show the pinacle of what a formula car without restrictions would perform at, if we already have the Standart Red Bull X cars and we even have something as ludicrous as the Tomahawk X, why don't we have this car on the now heavily improved physics in GT7? It's not a must have, but it's a car that should not be neglected)
-Opel cars (Calibra, Speedster, Astra...)

But let's be positive guys, just look at it this way:

Gran Turismo Sport was released in October 2017 and had 168 cars.
By December 2019, with several updates while they were also focusing on a lot of tracks as well for the game AND while developing GT7, they released 156 cars to tally the count to 324. Again 156 cars (and quite a few tracks) in just a little over 2 years.

Now, with no game to develop as the MAIN title has arrived, they can focus almost all of their resources on GT7.
We can expect easily over 600 cars by 2024. And on top of that, all of them with the careful attention to detail we know of.

Let's just be patient. Plus EVERY car has it's fanbase, so obviously it's going to be impossible to please everyone. But I for one don't want the cars to end up looking or sounding crappy just for the sake of having quantity in the game. That's just a repeat of GT5-GT6. And most of us (at least I hope) don't want that.

Last edited:
More than 54 brand new cars, I imagine. GT6 had around 90, for example.

GT7 clearly states at the start of the game that Brand Central showcases cars from 2001 onwards. Sounds like you're clutching at straws a little bit as the game has the BMW M3 to M6 models, and the other cars you've mentioned including the Corvette also feature. Maybe you haven't played the game longer than 5 minutes but nobody who has played for longer would make a post like this.

I’m sure those cars you want to see will appear at some stage as updates. However if you refer GT7 as GT Sport with a new coat of paint, does that mean GT2 was GT1 with a new coat of paint or GT6 as GT5 with a new coat of paint (GT3 & GT4 stood out individually). GT Sport was basically a kind of stop-gap after GT6 (a showcase of what they could do in the future).

Also, saying where’s the G80’s, Porsche 992s etc seems to me a tad far fetched. Yes other games have these and they are new but Gran Turismo hasn’t really been about having the absolute up to date cars as such - they might have a few from the time but many were from a previous generation e.g. GT4 a barely had many 2004/2005 cars. I like having a range of years of cars. Finally, it’s day one - it’s not like they are just going to leave it at that - you, me and everyone else will have to just wait to see what new content arrives in future updates

GT7 clearly states at the start of the game that Brand Central showcases cars from 2001 onwards. Sounds like you're clutching at straws a little bit as the game has the BMW M3 to M6 models, and the other cars you've mentioned including the Corvette also feature. Maybe you haven't played the game longer than 5 minutes but nobody who has played for longer would make a post like this.
Dude I'm looking at the BMW dealer as I type this, there are not any G80 M3's in the game and if there are they're hidden and not available in the dealership. As for the M6, show me where I said anything about racing variants... If anything the fact they have a couple racing variants is even more perplexing as to why they don't have the road variant in game.

There is no C8 Corvette either; don't know where you're getting your info but I'd suggest finding another source. Just because there are some old M3's and Corvette's it does not invalidate my argument in the slightest. This is 2022, not 2017. Btw, C8/G80/G82/etc are the generations of the models, in this case, the NEW generations that have been on sale to the public for well over a year. You do know that this isn't 2017 anymore, right? lol

However if you refer GT7 as GT Sport with a new coat of paint, does that mean GT2 was GT1 with a new coat of paint or GT6 as GT5 with a new coat of paint (GT3 & GT4 stood out individually). GT Sport was basically a kind of stop-gap after GT6 (a showcase of what they could do in the future).
GT2 had 4.5x as many cars as GT1 (140 vs 650) and it also had 2.5x the number of tracks (11 vs 27) so no, not even remotely comparable.

GT6 kind of was GT5 with a new coat of paint and felt more like an expansion pack than a new entry. It had about 150 more cars by the time its life cycle ended, many of them being fantasy vehicles. It did have more tracks, but a lot of them were just different layouts of tracks that existed in GT5. It easily could have been a "GT5 Spec II" expansion pack for $20, especially since it was on the same console. The major reason anyone even bought it was because they were shutting the GT5 servers down, if you were on here at the time you surely remember the outrage it caused amongst many in the community, and was the first time I noticed some major resentment towards PD and Kaz start to grow amongst a good portion of their player-base. GT6 was a bald-faced cash-grab and everyone knew it.

While GT7 has about 80 more cars and a few more tracks than GT Sport, nothing that I've experienced thus far feels like a big enough of a change to, at this point, say it is a major step-up. Why? Because 95% of the cars and tracks I've driven in this game are the exact same cars/tracks I drove in GT Sport, only we now have a more traditional "Gran Turismo" tuning system. In fact the only car I've seen while playing that I've been like "wow, I want that" is the Ferrari Testarossa, at least of the cars that are new to the series. In a brand new game I should be having that thought every time I start a race for the first couple days of racing, but not in this title... "You're supposed to wait 6mo so they can add new things" says many of the defenders. Nah, that's not acceptable to me. If they wanted to launch a beta or early-access preview it should have been marketed as such.

In a year or two this game is going to be dope, I have no doubts about that. The game has great "bones" and once it's developed some meat it'll be the best console sim-cade game going. Hell, what's here right now is fantastic, but it's what is not here that is the issue. I didn't buy the game day 1 to have a nearly identical experience to GT Sport, or so that I could play a vastly superior game 18mo from now. Had I known this I would have waited for the game to be complete and paid half price next year. Learned my lesson, that's for sure: "Never buy a PD game within a year of launch" and from now on that will be the approach I take. Had they bothered to, oh I don't know, actually finish the cafe/career mode and acknowledge the last 6 years of automative development, I'd be singing a different tune. But as it is we don't even have half of the offline component, so yeah, it's kind of insulting! Alas, I'll amend my statement of "Gt Sport with a new coat of paint" to "GT Sport Spec III". I'd say that's being pretty fair given the state at this point in time, but that's where my concessions end. After they've added all the cars/tracks/content that makes it a distinct game, I'll recant my statement.

More cars the better. I've always been a fan of Gran Turismo, especially GT2 and GT4 because of the absurd high number of cars and also how unique a ton of them were. GT5 and GT6 was meh for me because while the car list was high, it had PS2 models in them, that's just unnaceptable.

Still, if we want extremely high detailed cars like the ones we have now, I am more than happy to wait for more DLC cars even if it takes a while. Quality over quantity always.

However, the OP has a point. The game really lacks newer 2021-2022 cars, and a game released in 2022 shouldn't have such absurdly low numbers.
And not only that, but it also lacks iconic cars in real life that the series had in the past.

-The New BMW M3 or M4
-The New Porsche 911s (although to be fair, PD will almost 100% release the new GT3 or the Turbo S in the game considering how bang on they have been with Porsche, but again, it should've been at launch).
-The New Ferrari SF90
-The New C8 Corvette (again, PD will definitely add this, as they usually are pretty bang on with Chevrolet)
-The New Maserati MC20
-Newer GT3 cars...
And a ton of other cars from regular consumer brands, even japanese ones, that could've been in the game.
^And this just off the top of my head and from brands they have in the game.

And if the game reaches it's lifespan without some of the older cars appearing in the game it's just criminal, such as:

-Lexus LFA (I am shocked how this car, one of the japanese marvels, was not featured in this game at launch and it had appeared in GT5 and GT6)
-Porsche 918 Spyder AND McLaren P1 (it's a must to have the Holy Trinity hypercars in the game. Heck, even make an event with them or a mission, I'm also pretty sure the 918 Spyder will likely be added to the game, and we already have the P1 GTR so it's not far fetched to add the regular P1 when they've added both the LaFerrari and the FXXK)
-Toyota GT-ONE TS020 (another japanese iconic racing car and iconic in the series itself)
-Suzuki Escudo (iconic in the series, probably the car most people associate Gran Turismo with)
-Lancia Delta S4 (we have the Audi Quattro and the Peugeot 205, only the Lancia left to have the big 3 monsters of the Groub B era, plus this car was featured in GT4-GT5-GT6 as well)
-Lotus cars (Esprit and Elise, which also have a huge fanbase and the series add them in most GT titles in the past, in great number at that)
-Red Bull X Fan Car (let's be real, this car was THE feature of GT5-GT6, and was made with partnership with Red Bull and is EXCLUSIVE to the series, to show the pinacle of what a formula car without restrictions would perform at, if we already have the Standart Red Bull X cars and we even have something as ludicrous as the Tomahawk X, why don't we have this car on the now heavily improved physics in GT7? It's not a must have, but it's a car that should not be neglected)
-Opel cars (Calibra, Speedster, Astra...)

But let's be positive guys, just look at it this way:

Gran Turismo Sport was released in October 2017 and had 168 cars.
By December 2019, with several updates while they were also focusing on a lot of tracks as well for the game AND while developing GT7, they released 156 cars to tally the count to 324. Again 156 cars (and quite a few tracks) in just a little over 2 years.

Now, with no game to develop as the MAIN title has arrived, they can focus almost all of their resources on GT7.
We can expect easily over 600 cars by 2024. And on top of that, all of them with the careful attention to detail we know of.

Let's just be patient. Plus EVERY car has it's fanbase, so obviously it's going to be impossible to please everyone. But I for one don't want the cars to end up looking or sounding crappy just for the sake of having quantity in the game. That's just a repeat of GT5-GT6. And most of us (at least I hope) don't want that.
I agree, but as you mentioned i'm like 90% sure most of the requested cars will be added at some point if not between the first 3 updates/DLCs:

Corvette C8
Porsche 918
McLaren P1
Nissan R390 GT1
Pagani Zonda C12 They were recording dyno audio of a C12 iirc 2-3 years ago

^All of these cars for example i'm 99% sure PD will add some point this year.

And i'm also pretty certain that PD will add a ton of newer 2018+ cars through the games lifespan aswell.

Last edited:
Can we really expect the same level of post launch car list bolstering as GTS when GT7 is released as a much more complete package?

GTS's car list at launch was significantly undersized compared to past GT games and its competitors at the time. Not so much the case with GT7.

Just did a quick excel sheet,
Out of 424 cars:
46 Vision GT cars
66 Gr. cars

Total fantasy cars = 93* (some VGT & Gr. overlap, even with fake cars they wanna dupe)
Total real cars = 331

Total missing premium cars from GT5/GT6/GT Sport = Many
Total missing "new" cars released IRL since the launch of GT6 = Many (Where is the P1 & 918? These are 8 year old cars by now)

View attachment 1121086

Nice graph, man!

To be fair in the beginning credits they said that the car designers are like 15 people or so. And we have 426 gorgeously designed to the minor detail cars. And there is not a single Playstation game with better looking cars. So sure the lack of C8, Mach 1, GT500 and for crying out loud Fiesta ST is obvious not to mention things like McLaren 620R or the new 720S GT3 car. Or even the new M3/M4 bmw hell even the previous generation M3 car or the new M4 GT3 car. But overall you should give credit for the hard work this 15 people put in for each to create 28.4 cars to that amazing detail. For me even if it's old cars it's amazing for example the analog boost gauge in my GTO ****ing works in cockpit view. Hopefully the DLC's will solve the issues with missing cars.
Pretty sure most were just imported from GTS, especially considering that liveries can be directly imported - which likely means the modelling hasn't changed otherwise the liveries would have potential glitches.

I may get flamed for this but it feels like a rescanned gts.

It's really disappointing the lack of normal cars from gt4, especially given the "race modifications" work so well - it feels more like forza but with no audi rs to name one example.

I was looking forward to car encyclopedia of old but there isn't even a normal zonda, multiple generation of camaro missing, no normal mercedes e.g sl, CL, e class

coming from a pc sim racer.. they did a great job.. plenty of cars.
but i know some people upset their 89 Toyota Camry isnt in the game lol.

I havent seen a nissan 240zg in the game yet its listed.

No ur not, i also expected at least 100 new cars on top of the gts cars we drove the last years!
But there is so much wrong with this game and so much missing and still its fun!
I think the times when games come out finished and polished are over for good...

Just did a quick excel sheet,
Out of 424 cars:
46 Vision GT cars
66 Gr. cars

Total fantasy cars = 93* (some VGT & Gr. overlap, even with fake cars they wanna dupe)
Total real cars = 331

Total missing premium cars from GT5/GT6/GT Sport = Many
Total missing "new" cars released IRL since the launch of GT6 = Many (Where is the P1 & 918? These are 8 year old cars by now)
331 real cars is really poor!

Back