America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
Compared to the Trump dumpster fire, it has been a dream.

How many attempts have we had at taking over the country?
How many attempts have we had at strong-arming other countries into swinging our elections?
How many times has the president endorsed arresting, attacking, or executing politicians he doesn't like? Or random citizens?

So far, compared to the previous administration, the worst in US history, it has been amazing.
Much as I endorse every word of this post, as I gloomily contemplate the prospect of a future Trumpist US administration I can't help but read it with Bachman-Turner Overdrive's record "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" playing in my mind's ear as a soundtrack. The brink beckons.

Last edited:
Much as I endorse every word of this post, as I gloomily contemplate the prospect of a future Trumpist US administration I can't help but read it with Bachman-Turner Overdrive's record "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" playing in my mind's ear as a soundtrack. The brink beckons.
Well that's pessimistic. I don't think that the republican crazy is actually all that popular.

Well that's pessimistic. I don't think that the republican crazy is actually all that popular.
Apologies. Late night drinking may have led to a slight touch of the Dotinis. It's not like the GOP have relied on majorities in the past in order to seize power though.

Last edited:
Compared to the Trump dumpster fire, it has been a dream.

How many attempts have we had at taking over the country?
How many attempts have we had at strong-arming other countries into swinging our elections?
How many times has the president endorsed arresting, attacking, or executing politicians he doesn't like? Or random citizens?

So far, compared to the previous administration, the worst in US history, it has been amazing.
Absolutely, however, that's a really low bar for the leader of the US. As the president, you're not supposed to do those things and I can't really say "good job Biden, you're not a lightweight fascist who's hell-bent on ruining democracy" since that should be a given.

I know it's still early in Biden's presidency, but he's not exactly inspiring confidence in me that he can get the job done. Other than not being a narcissistic wannabe dictator, he's not exactly doing much and the stuff he has done has been a trainwreck. The most obvious thing is the Afghanistan withdrawal. I 100% agree we needed to be out of there, but the optics of fighting a 20-year war only for a ragtag group of terrorists to take over the country in weeks while driving Toyota pick-ups is pretty bad. Biden is the Commander-in-Cheif and is over the military so botching that is on him. Given that the military budget is greater than the GDPs of some developed nations, I'm sure it was something we probably could've thrown money at to make it work.

While the president doesn't completely control the economy, he does have some say in economic policy. With inflation going off the rails and housing prices becoming alarming, it's not a good look and will make independent, middle-class voters turn on him.

Losing the Democrats is another huge blow. It's clear that Biden can't control his own party as evidence of Manchin and Sinnema going against him, even when "negotiations" supposedly occurred. A deal should've been able to be reached over voting rights and infrastructure, but it wasn't. All that Biden managed to do was push an agenda that was doomed to fail and looks incredibly weak in the process. Republicans are going to eat that up late this year with the midterms and I could see them winning back the house and the senate, which would be disastrous for a number of things.

Biden was a terrible choice for Democrats to run and, as of right now, is really hurting the party's chances at succeeding.

It's popular among Republicans.

Joining this forum was one of the best things I did in my life. Because it allowed to me the access & ability to meet with non-Americans on a level of actual conversation in a well-controlled environment (shout out to the mods), which taught me much about other places.

And I say this because one of those lessons was learning that we have a really unhealthy obsession with patriotism in this country compared to other places, esp. when it comes to the pledge of allegiance.

Last edited:
Biden was a terrible choice for Democrats to run and, as of right now, is really hurting the party's chances at succeeding.
I agree with everything you've said, but I would argue that the Democrats inability to recognize that their main opposition has no regard for "the rules" (for lack of a better phrase), and are succeeding in using that disregard as a tool, while not having an adequate response of their own, is also doing a good bit at hurting the party's chances of succeeding.

In regards to Manchin and Sinnema in particular, I feel like their opposition should be the Democratic Party's problem as a whole, and not just that of Biden's. That's at least the feeling I get whenever something about those two pops up in my news feed.

Last edited:
Was it not generally agreed that although the Afghanistan withdrawal was mishandled, it was following through a plan set in motion by the Trump administration?

Was it not generally agreed that although the Afghanistan withdrawal was mishandled, it was following through a plan set in motion by the Trump administration?
Sure, but what good is firing the incompetent boss if you don't reverse their incompetent decisions as well?

Absolutely, however, that's a really low bar for the leader of the US. As the president, you're not supposed to do those things and I can't really say "good job Biden, you're not a lightweight fascist who's hell-bent on ruining democracy" since that should be a given.
I don't take it as a given anymore.
I know it's still early in Biden's presidency, but he's not exactly inspiring confidence in me that he can get the job done. Other than not being a narcissistic wannabe dictator, he's not exactly doing much and the stuff he has done has been a trainwreck. The most obvious thing is the Afghanistan withdrawal. I 100% agree we needed to be out of there, but the optics of fighting a 20-year war only for a ragtag group of terrorists to take over the country in weeks while driving Toyota pick-ups is pretty bad. Biden is the Commander-in-Cheif and is over the military so botching that is on him. Given that the military budget is greater than the GDPs of some developed nations, I'm sure it was something we probably could've thrown money at to make it work.
Yea, I dunno. The previous president set up the pullout terms, and Biden was left executing a bad plan. I'm sure we could have done better, but it's tough to lay even most of it on him.
While the president doesn't completely control the economy, he does have some say in economic policy. With inflation going off the rails and housing prices becoming alarming, it's not a good look and will make independent, middle-class voters turn on him.
Inflation is a pandemic thing. Housing is probably something else, and maybe permanent. Based on my mortgage rate, I'm never selling my house - regardless of whether I live there. As a libertarian it's also not something I want the president to try to fix. Neither of these is being brought on by massive government spending.
Losing the Democrats is another huge blow. It's clear that Biden can't control his own party as evidence of Manchin and Sinnema going against him, even when "negotiations" supposedly occurred.
I don't see any in-roads for Manchin. He's more republican than democrat. The fact that democrats have control of the senate is a bit of an illusion.
A deal should've been able to be reached over voting rights and infrastructure, but it wasn't.
Infrastructure is passed. Voting rights... Manchin has to be willing to weaken the filibuster and so far he has shown absolutely zero give. The republicans want nothing to do with it.

All that Biden managed to do was push an agenda that was doomed to fail and looks incredibly weak in the process. Republicans are going to eat that up late this year with the midterms and I could see them winning back the house and the senate, which would be disastrous for a number of things.

I think Manchin is the one really hurting the democrats right now. And I think he's fine with it.

Last edited:
Biden spent most of his first two weeks in office trying to undo as many Trump-era policies as he could so you'd think Afghanistan would've got a shoe-in somewhere.

Undoing the withdrawal would've been turned around & made just as bad; "Biden wants to keep our troops over there. Only I wanted to bring them home, bulieve me".

That was a right call, even said the right things about it, & he followed Trump's own plan and was still blamed for it.

I think a big challenge for Afghanistan withdrawal is that the poor decisions that were made were made in the form of an agreement with a foreign entity. One-sided decisions are comparatively easy to undo because it doesn't involve reneging on a deal and all that comes with doing so.

I'm still super critical of the cluster**** that was the Afghanistan withdrawal and I'm disappointed that the investigation has stalled in the press.

Couldn't be said better. This is exactly what irked me so much about Hillary's MLK tweet where she supposedly bashed the "white moderate" for holding back progress.

The MLK quote, from the Letter From a Birmingham Jail, she is referring to is: "I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's greatest stumbling block in his strike toward freedom is not the White Citizens' Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to order than justice".

Hillary is the white moderate, both literally and metaphorically. The white moderate, who can be found in both political parties, is someone more concerned with the aesthetic of progress as opposed to progress in itself. They may be pro equality and anti bigotry in principle, but will only work toward justice insofar as their class interest or general comfortability of life is no way threatened. Which therefore leads to a scenario in which justice can never really be attained, since those who have the most power (the white moderate) do not want to make concessions. In her 2016 presidential bid (and likely in 2024, if she chooses to run as some headlines are speculating), she spent a bulk of her time reiterating what we, as a nation, cannot do, what is too ambitious or too costly, in the Democratic primary. Policies which would only further justice in a broad sense, such as ensuring healthcare for all Americans, limiting big business' influence in our elections and political system, bold climate action like a Green New Deal, abolishing private prisons, legalizing and descheduling marijuana, would be talked down by her, as opposed to being idealistic, and motivating Americans to envision a better world than they already have. She harped on about the same tired old platitudes, such as "unity" or "inclusion" or "reaching across the aisle" or "people over party" or "restoring the soul of our nation", yet would not examine critically what these statements actually mean nor work to achieve this in a meaningful way. She, an would only work to enact change within the framework of the status quo, as opposed to making changes to it so that it functions more equitably and sustainably.

Aside from Hillary Clinton, the "white moderate" trope can be well encapsulated by the "not in my backyard" sentiment that plagues suburban communities across the country. Take Palo Alto, California, for example. A majority white, well-educated, well-off, and liberal leaning city in the Bay Area. Given it's proximity to San Francisco, many Palo Alto residents were outraged by the lack of affordable housing in the region as well as the high homelessness rate, and some even marched in protest to demand affordable housing in the region. Though, when push came to shove, things changed. Last year, the Palo Alto city council brought up proposals to change the zoning of an undeveloped, two acre plot of land from low-density to high-density, to build 60 low-income housing units, for a vote. The proposals were unsurprisingly voted down. Many residents feared a decline in their property values, increased crime rates, and generally did not want lower income people in their sight. Of course, a low income housing bloc in one of America's most racially diverse metro areas would inevitably bring in a higher proportion of nonwhite residents, which could covertly invoke fear amongst Palo Alto's white residents. This is exemplary of the white moderate being open to progress and what they perceive to be "justice" on the surface level, but when they are directly confronted by it, they become fearful uneasy, thus eventually reactionary.

Last edited:
If you had "the right loses its **** over Carhartt mandating vaccinations for its employees" on your 2022 Bingo card, you got a square.

If you had "the right loses its **** over Carhartt mandating vaccinations for its employees" on your 2022 Bingo card, you got a square.
Is this going to me another one of those big stinks about nothing where there are like 4 people at Carhartt that aren't vaccinated?

Uh oh, these Alabama rednecks are going to be losing their minds over this. University of Alabama head football coach Nick Saban has come out saying Manchin should support the Freedom to Vote Act. The only thing Saban could have done that is worse than this is to become the head coach at Auburn. What's your average voting rights hating Crimson Tide supporter supposed to do now? They always claim they want sports out of politics, does that apply to St. Nick too?

I think they're saying that they can't get any job because they all require vaccination and they're unwilling to vaccinate.
Then give a legitimate reason why you can't get vaccinated. -10 points if the reason is "Fox News".

I 100% agree we needed to be out of there, but the optics of fighting a 20-year war only for a ragtag group of terrorists to take over the country in weeks while driving Toyota pick-ups is pretty bad.
Toyota pick-ups are completely valid military vehicles - just look at the Chad-Libya conflict.

Except it is not Republicans reaching riiight into peoples private businesses and telling them what they can/can't do.

dd0.png

Back