America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
And so it begins. What's the over/under on Trump and his family pulling a Kavanaugh and publicly announcing they won't obey a mandatory court order?
Ivanka? Probably least likely.

Don Jr. will do whatever his father does.

Don Jr. will do whatever his father does.
gettyimages-124916723.jpg

I don't know why images aren't embedding from links.

Last edited:
A non-political and non-depressing America post. I know what are the chances, but this seems to be the best place to post this.

Click on a map of the US to place a rain-drop and then see how far it could potentially travel.

Second time out I managed over 4,000kms

Screenshot 2022-07-13 115512.png

Last edited:
A non-political and non-depressing America post. I know what are the chances, but this seems to be the best place to post this.

Click on a map of the US to place a rain-drop and then see how far it could potentially travel.

View attachment 1172096
My first click was 5,462km.

View attachment 1172096
I just did one from Cody, and it hit the big horn then Missouri and Mississippi but when I tried to get my total km it closed the thing down. Not sure it beat yours though.

View attachment 1172096
That's pretty cool. From my house, a raindrop travels at most 34km.

As for the furthest I got was from Dell, Montana:
1657722721856.png

View attachment 1172096
I only got 413 km, but that's because I clicked on where I live(and it even got the correct town as start point despite not being able to see any names). Pretty cool little site. The map did struggle loading as it traced the path though. It kept up but only just barely, not sure if that was just me.

I so love that I'm able to use Fox to report that Mexico has agreed to fund border security to the tune of $1.5 billion, this is going to piss off Trump on so, so many levels, and it's utterly delicious.

MAGA Peeps right now

Drawing Motivation GIF

Last edited:

View attachment 1172096

I just did one from Cody, and it hit the big horn then Missouri and Mississippi but when I tried to get my total km it closed the thing down. Not sure it beat yours though.

I had the same problem as Sprite.

My first guess was similar to your 4,000km though Scaff.

I tried to use my knowledge of where the Continental Divide was, having driven from Chicago to LA on a certain road in 2012, and knew it was a looong way west.

I wonder if there is anywhere that would go east of the Mississississississppi but that river is so long it's hard to avoid. But it does look great from the top of the Gateway Arch in St Louis 👍😀

Last edited:

View attachment 1172096
I love drainage basins. There are two unassuming creeks about 300m from each other just south of Yellowstone lake in Wyoming - Mink Creek & Falcon Creek (44.09034683379993, -110.19642241635067).

creeks2.JPG

If a rain drop falls on the left dot it travels 2147km to the Pacific Ocean via the Columbia River:
1.JPG

If a rain drop falls on the right dot, it travels 5480km to the Gulf of Mexico via the Mississippi River:
2.JPG

At that highest point of the ridge between the creeks, the two drops could be mm away from each other, but end up over 3500km apart.

edit: Found an even better spot - just a mile away or so (44.043288301300585, -110.17570965811066) is a creek called, appropriately, two ocean creek. There is a fork in this creek where, you guessed it, one side leads to the Columbia River and the other side to the Mississippi River

creeks.JPG

Last edited:

View attachment 1172096
Just a bit of trivia. There is a creek in Wyoming that's on the Continental Divide. The creek splits and half flows east to the Gulf of Mexico and the other half flows west to the Pacific Ocean. It means there is a single continuous (non-navigable) water path across the US from one ocean to the other.

Last edited:
Just a bit of trivia. There is a creek in Wyoming that's on the Continental Divide. The creek splits and half flows east to the Gulf of Mexico and the other half flows west to the Pacific Ocean. It means there is a single continuous (non-navigable) water path across the US from one ocean to the other.
If only they could get supermax ships through there...

View attachment 1172096
I managed to get about 1136km from where I live. I never realized just how long the bayou here is lol.

I happened across this on google maps just before you posted it . :lol:

@Populuxe that might be more appropriate in the police brutality/malfeasance catchall thread. At least that's where I'd be inclined to put it. It's obviously your discretion.

Anyway, this was an entertaining listen.

Language Warning: There's a single f-bomb in the context of "**** with you" but otherwise it's appropriate per GTP guidelines.
Something not mentioned is that the judge drawn in this case is one of exceptionally few that has in the past ordered the purchase of a company despite the interest in getting out of that purchase. Obviously each case is different and to say that this is an indication that the judge may rule that way in this case is pure speculation, but it's an interesting factoid.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back