America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
And also how soldiers and civilians came to be complacent of the Holocaust. A lot of German citizens were willing to give Hitler and the Nazis a pass on their atrocities because they had built Germany back up from the Great Depression and arguably turned the country into an actual superpower before the war. A lot of people were willing to feign ignorance because their lives had massively improved.

We're seeing a similar thing with the GoP and its base currently, as a lot of people are willing to give them a pass on their actions because it's hurting the people they don't like, even though their actions are objectively abhorrent.
In short:

EveHwVYXAAEdWt4.jpg

Stupid to blame him for gas prices rising; stupid to give him credit for gas prices falling. But then there are a lot of stupid people.

Last edited:
Gas prices are falling? They went up to $5.29 a gallon yesterday here.

Honestly this is what's going to break people's support of Ukraine. While I don't agree that Russia's invasion should be raising prices outside of Europe, it's what's being blamed. People aren't going to give a damn about a country on the other side of the world when they can't afford to fill up. I filled up yesterday and it was $102. That's not sustainable for most people.

Honestly this is what's going to break people's support of Ukraine. While I don't agree that Russia's invasion should be raising prices outside of Europe, it's what's being blamed. People aren't going to give a damn about a country on the other side of the world when they can't afford to fill up. I filled up yesterday and it was $102. That's not sustainable for most people.

Time to go electric.

Time to go electric.
Once we get to Michigan, we're going to replace my wife's vehicle with something electric (probably a bZ4X despite its stupid name). However, going solely electric at the moment just isn't feasible. The 4Runner is going to be mostly used for road trips and long drives and we'll use the electric vehicle for around-town stuff.

I just wish electric vehicles weren't so staggeringly overpriced for what they are. I mean a Chevy Bolt starts at $31,500, for less money I can get a larger and arguably nicer Equinox. I feel like we're still in the "earlier adopters" price bracket with EVs and that puts them out of the reach for many people. You'd also have to find one for sale, which is a bit difficult at the moment and will likely be the case until the supply chain can get back on track.

Once we get to Michigan, we're going to replace my wife's vehicle with something electric (probably a bZ4X despite its stupid name). However, going solely electric at the moment just isn't feasible. The 4Runner is going to be mostly used for road trips and long drives and we'll use the electric vehicle for around-town stuff.

I just wish electric vehicles weren't so staggeringly overpriced for what they are. I mean a Chevy Bolt starts at $31,500, for less money I can get a larger and arguably nicer Equinox. I feel like we're still in the "earlier adopters" price bracket with EVs and that puts them out of the reach for many people. You'd also have to find one for sale, which is a bit difficult at the moment and will likely be the case until the supply chain can get back on track.

How about this for around town:

It's in CA so you'd need to pay a little to get it shipped. You're still good for under $5k to get into a fully electric vehicle for most driving.

Last edited:

Prices have been falling in my area. Dropped $1/gal over the last couple months, now $4.57 for 87 octane. I fill up once a week around 1/4 tank and its around $40. My commute is ~45mpg average. Gotta love small cars.

We won't be getting anything until we're back in Michigan. Trying to drive anything across the country in a timely manner in an EV just doesn't work, it took my friends nearly a week in a Tesla to go from CA to Detroit. We'll probably just use one car for a bit too since that's always going to be the more financially sensible option. The 4Runner isn't that bad on gas, it still does get 20mpg around town and upwards of 23mpg on the freeway as long as you keep it under 75mph. I'm just not super keen on putting $100 in it every week, especially when gas really doesn't need to be that high. I'm still baffled that the price of oil drops and gas prices go up. I get that there's inflation and whatnot, but gas should probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.75-$4.25.

Has anyone actually bothered to read why he backed out?

Because Musk realized that he overleveraged himself when he dramatically overpaid for something that he performed multiple unsolicited hostile takeover bids (against himself) to buy even before tech stocks started tanking about two weeks later; and that he probably shouldn't have done so while publicly waiving the right to discovery to find out all the things that he's claiming are true after he signed the contract committing to buy because for some reason he was in a hurry to buy a company that wasn't originally for sale in the first place.

Which he did do, for the record. He was even such a negotiating genius that Twitter wrote into the merger contract that Musk signed after publicly waiving due diligence that if Musk breaks the contract they can compel specific performance out of him (ie. force him to pay ~80% above market value to buy the company anyway even though he doesn't want it) if they wish rather than just force him to pay the separation fee. And he signed it anyway. The Delaware Court of Chancery probably won't force Musk to buy Twitter since he did laughably overpay by so much for it; but I suspect a billion dollars is the starting number and not the extent of what Musk will have to fork out.

Last edited:
We won't be getting anything until we're back in Michigan. Trying to drive anything across the country in a timely manner in an EV just doesn't work, it took my friends nearly a week in a Tesla to go from CA to Detroit. We'll probably just use one car for a bit too since that's always going to be the more financially sensible option. The 4Runner isn't that bad on gas, it still does get 20mpg around town and upwards of 23mpg on the freeway as long as you keep it under 75mph. I'm just not super keen on putting $100 in it every week, especially when gas really doesn't need to be that high. I'm still baffled that the price of oil drops and gas prices go up. I get that there's inflation and whatnot, but gas should probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.75-$4.25.

That's why I mentioned shipping it. ;)

Gas is between roughly $4.30-$4.70 in Pinellas county, with most places in the southern half being in the $4.30-$4.55-ish range. Costs ~$40-$45 to fill up my Forte, and I have a 30-40 minute overall commute 5 days a week, but my car is still relatively good on gas, so it kinda balances out.

That being said, the thought of getting an electric car (or a hybrid Maverick) has crept into my mind a few times, not that I'm in any position whatsoever to get a new car in the first place.

Last edited:
On the subject of the German Army in WW2, the Wehrmacht (legitimate German army) were given immunity from criticism for decades; it was the SS (extrajudicial, political paramilitaries) that did all the evil Nazi stuff.

it was only in this century that the myth of a noble German army was publicly analysed and done to a lot of controversy. To its credit, Germany is at least willing to go through these things though. But for a foreign nation to pick up on this, it's important that Americans don't fall for the same myth. I'm sure Republicans will pay extremely close attention to nuance.

Reading about high "gas" (snicker) prices in the US makes me remember "First World Problems!" memes for some reason. :lol:

I'm assuming $4.70 is for a gallon of premium? One US gallon is what, roughly 4.5 litres? According to the current exchange, a single litre of 95 octane petrol in good ol' RSA costs $1.55. That's over $7 for a US gallon. Right now I'm quite tempted to say count your blessings, folks, that you aren't living in RSA...

I'm assuming $4.70 is for a gallon of premium? One US gallon is what, roughly 4.5 litres? According to the current exchange, a single litre of 95 octane petrol in good ol' RSA costs $1.55. That's over $7 for a US gallon.
An Imperial gallon is 4.5 litres. A US gallon is about 3.8 litres, so $1.55 a litre is about $5.87 per US gallon.

Reading about high "gas" (snicker) prices in the US makes me remember "First World Problems!" memes for some reason. :lol:

I'm assuming $4.70 is for a gallon of premium? One US gallon is what, roughly 4.5 litres? According to the current exchange, a single litre of 95 octane petrol in good ol' RSA costs $1.55. That's over $7 for a US gallon. Right now I'm quite tempted to say count your blessings, folks, that you aren't living in RSA...
Where I live, $4.70 can be the price per gallon of regular fuel (87 octane in Florida). Premium fuel is usually above $5, with diesel being around $5.50 give-or-take.

I'm annoyed when I went back home to visit this week and had to fill up as I coasted into town on fumes that New York fuel prices don't work the way they used to when I left a year ago (ie. Premium is 20¢ more expensive than regular). Before I could drive up here and I'd pay as much for premium as I would in North Carolina (because the delta between the two was wider in the South) even though regular was significantly more expensive.

Now, regular is still significantly more expensive but Premium is 80¢ more expensive than that.

Last edited:
Gas prices need to be high. We have no emissions standards on brodozers* and it seems that it's not in the cards to get them. Fuel prices are a direct signal to get something more fuel efficient or get into an EV (or stop commuting). Low gas prices => Brodozers => Carbon.

*I assume there are some but they're not doing the job

Last edited:

For the record, I recently paid $7.50/g for premium (lol 91 octane CA grade). That was an abnormally expensive station but at the time it wasn't significantly cheaper anywhere else. Combination of lack of gasoline production in the state and limited methods to bring it in from other places + second highest gas tax in the nation. I'm just glad I don't actually commute via car.

Some actual demand destruction for gasoline among American motorists is said to be taking place. More worrying would be truck stops running out of diesel.

I've got a hybrid that takes regular gas. I can also walk to work when the weather is decent so I don't use that much gas during the warmer months.

Axios
Former President Trump and his adult children, Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump Jr., are scheduled to testify under oath on July 15 as part of a probe by the New York attorney general into his finances, a court filing revealed Wednesday.

Driving the news: This comes almost two weeks after a court ruled that the family was obligated to testify as part of the probe.

Trump's attorneys had argued that the attorney general's office was planning to use the testimonies for a separate criminal investigation, but a four-judge panel in the appellate division of New York's trial court said that these were not related.

State of play: The former president and his children are slated to appear for testimony starting July 15 until the next week, unless a New York appeals court intervenes, according to the court documents.

Don't forget: New York Attorney General Letitia James said earlier this year that her office's investigation found that the Trump Organization allegedly used "fraudulent and misleading asset valuations to obtain economic benefits."

Last edited:
Back