America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,739 comments
I'm always halfway serious and halfway about wittily amusing the reader. :guilty::D:D
Don't fret, but keep in mind that Friedman's ideas were based on Keynesianism. He was the bomb the leveled the foundation for modern economic ruin.

Dotini, are you serious? Milton Friedman is not at that level.

Someone has to explain to me why Friedman was so wrong.

Cato, for example, gives out a prize every year to an individual they want to recognize. They call it the Milton Friedman Prize for Advancing Liberty.

http://www.cato.org/special/friedman/prize.html

Why is cato so misguided about Friedman? Cato includes some of the world's best economists. I know Dotini has a borderline irrational hatred for Friedman. All I've heard so far is the Gold standard - which is not an argument I find convincing, and I've never been a fan of Ron Paul's advocacy of a return to the Gold standard. We could go to a standard, but Gold isn't the best choice.

Someone has to explain to me why Friedman was so wrong.

Cato, for example, gives out a prize every year to an individual they want to recognize. They call it the Milton Friedman Prize for Advancing Liberty.

http://www.cato.org/special/friedman/prize.html

Why is cato so misguided about Friedman? Cato includes some of the world's best economists. I know Dotini has a borderline irrational hatred for Friedman. All I've heard so far is the Gold standard - which is not an argument I find convincing, and I've never been a fan of Ron Paul's advocacy of a return to the Gold standard. We could go to a standard, but Gold isn't the best choice.

Dotini will bless thee with his benevolent wit:

Friedman wrote abstruse, mathematically dense articles which justified a sea change in all businessmen: putting money in the form of shareholder value, ahead of everything else, regardless of employees, customers or society. His intellectual rot stood at the foundation of the 1001 economic sins that became the 2008 collapse.

His was the origin of the "World's Dumbest Idea"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede...n-of-the-worlds-dumbest-idea-milton-friedman/

Dotini will bless thee with his benevolent wit:

Friedman wrote abstruse, mathematically dense articles which justified a sea change in all businessmen: putting money in the form of shareholder value, ahead of everything else, regardless of employees, customers or society. His intellectual rot stood at the foundation of the 1001 economic sins that became the 2008 collapse.

His was the origin of the "World's Dumbest Idea"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede...n-of-the-worlds-dumbest-idea-milton-friedman/

I don't find the idea that the purpose of a corporation is to make money for those who own it dumb or even misguided. I also don't find that idea responsible for the 2008 collapse.

They aren't. That prize is for advancing liberty, not economics.

Milton Friedman
I am a libertarian with a small 'l' and a Republican with a capital 'R.' And I am a Republican with a capital 'R' on grounds of expediency, not on principle.

He was basically Ron Paul politically. Except that Friedman's economic views and political views were not cohesive. Ron Paul has mentioned Friedman many times in the past but has never dedicated anything to him because Paul doesn't agree with Friedman's economic views. It could be argued that Friedman wasn't a very good libertarian to begin with because his economic views were incompatible with his supposed political views. How that happened I'm not sure, as Paul and his modern contemporaries see politics and economics as inseparable. Paul has written books both on liberty and economics, and those books are heavily intertwined because you can't have one unless you've got the other straightened out. Perhaps Friedman got caught up in the numbers and forgot to run a logic equation.

So, cops have tried to stop filming of their activities. Some even have gone to court with invasion of privacy charges. Why don't cops want to be filmed? Because they get in trouble. One police precinct's answer: A camera on the cops themselves. After one month, an 88% drop in complaints and a 60% drop in use of physical force.

Intriguing.

It is intriguing, except that the videos are reviewed by the police department. How about the videos are reviewed by a civilian advocate agency instead?

Still, complaints and incidents did go down. But why? Is it because police found out that most of those complaints weren't legit via video evidence and therefore took them off the record? I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad idea, I'm just curious as to how it works internally.

It is intriguing, except that the videos are reviewed by the police department. How about the videos are reviewed by a civilian advocate agency instead?

Still, complaints and incidents did go down. But why? Is it because police found out that most of those complaints weren't legit via video evidence and therefore took them off the record? I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad idea, I'm just curious as to how it works internally.
The police chief himself says it is officers being on better behavior. He knows it is a deterent to bad cops. You also forget that complaints can be buried, but a legal or civil suit cannot, and they cannot legally refuse to turn over that video in a court case as it is public record. And do note, use of force dropped. Police are not using force as much. That alone accounts for some of the complaints. And use of force doesn't disappear off the record because video evidence does whatever your odd "took it off the record" comment implies. Use of force and complaints are like a criminal charge against you. You may be found innocent of any wrongdoing. Your record still shows arrests and charges. Their employee record will still show a complaint, even if it is found to be false.

And before you get suspicious of police using video on the officer, keep in mind that those constantly trying to steal your rights think that cameras on cops is "a nightmare."
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/...ameras-public-and-private-cameras-city-police

http://ideas.time.com/2013/08/19/school-has-become-too-hostile-to-boys/

While I'm not sure I'm on board with the gender divide thing, the point regarding the changes in schools and the rules, removing competition and not recognizing personal achievement, is a big thing that I've been complaining about.

I mean, just last night my daughter was singing a song that went, "No one has hair like me. I'm special. I'm special. No one has a mouth like me. I'm special. I'm special." I said something and my wife told me it was about how everyone is different and I should be quiet.

I looked at my daughter and said, "Always speak your mind and stand up for what you believe in. That will make you unique and special." I must be crazy, thinking that having hair with natural genetic traits doesn't make you special.

That's the kind of "special" that makes the Kardashians stars.

Thirty five years for Bradley Manning, I hear.

Yikes.

He will most likely serve out his sentence in the United States Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas. The 1,182 days he has spent in confinement since he was arrested in May 2010 will be applied toward his term. Added to the military's extensive credits for good behavior, Manning could be eligible for parole in about 8 years, when he is 33.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/21/bradley-manning-sentenced_n_3787492.html

35 year sentence and he'll only serve 8? Where's the justice?! He'll be out on the streets in less than a decade!

/tongue firmly in cheek

Liquid
35 year sentence and he'll only serve 8? Where's the justice?! He'll be out on the streets in less than a decade!

/tongue firmly in cheek
Hope he doesn't come to Wales on his release, you'd be a bit annoyed to find him working in a call centre or the dvla!

He will most likely serve out his sentence in the United States Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas. The 1,182 days he has spent in confinement since he was arrested in May 2010 will be applied toward his term. Added to the military's extensive credits for good behavior, Manning could be eligible for parole in about 8 years, when he is 33.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/21/bradley-manning-sentenced_n_3787492.html

You know that the government will keep him there.

They aren't. That prize is for advancing liberty, not economics.

As you say... these concepts are intertwined.

He was basically Ron Paul politically. Except that Friedman's economic views and political views were not cohesive. Ron Paul has mentioned Friedman many times in the past but has never dedicated anything to him because Paul doesn't agree with Friedman's economic views. It could be argued that Friedman wasn't a very good libertarian to begin with because his economic views were incompatible with his supposed political views. How that happened I'm not sure, as Paul and his modern contemporaries see politics and economics as inseparable. Paul has written books both on liberty and economics, and those books are heavily intertwined because you can't have one unless you've got the other straightened out. Perhaps Friedman got caught up in the numbers and forgot to run a logic equation.

What exactly was the problem with his economic views?

I think the only area where there is divergence economically is when it comes to money and banking or at least monetary policy.

I wonder what they would've though of bitcoin.

Back