America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,741 comments
That is exactly my point (multiculturalism, with a side of Muslims). Why not? Afraid of being called a 'racist'? No problem then, I'm sure there are plenty of people who will jump on me when I start it.
Because I don't want to have an exhausting discussion about it. There's no debate to be had because I never said everything is perfect, and you clearly are set in your opinion and won't change your mind. Nothing you say is going to convince me that it's OK to screen people based on ethnicity, or force law abiding people to suppress their cultures. Nothing I say will rid you of your irrational fear of the other.

I'm not afraid of being called a racist. You know what? In all honesty I am a bit racist. If I'm walking alone and a group of people of another race are approaching me I'll admit I get a bit nervous. That's definitely racist. You know what else it is? Irrational. Something I've made an effort to get over because it's irrational and isn't how I want to live my life.

I find it hilarious you're trying to fact check me when the stats don't back you up here either.

Literally half the people in Toronto weren't born in Canada. That's not misleading, that's not a made up fact, literally 1 in 2 people you meet in Toronto are not born Canadians. That's not even ancestry, 1 in 2 people in Toronto have moved to Canada from another country during their life. As for your idea that "most" of the people in Toronto are European/"Canadian" background, you're right. By one percent. 49% of the people in Toronto are visible minorities, which means a non-white, non-European background. Forgive me for calling a city multicultural when only 49% of people there aren't white. Sorry for being "misleading" by mentioning visible minorities in a city that's only 49% visible minorities. I guess I should have mentioned Brampton (33% white), or Vancouver (47% white) if I was being "honest".

Comparing that to London's 71.5% white population, or the 78% French nationals in Paris, or the 82% European ethnicity in Berlin, you can see that a 51% white population in a large western city isn't exactly common. The fact remains there's significant numbers of all of those ethnic groups I mentioned as well as Toronto having the highest concentration of muslims of any city in North America. I'm not just making this stuff up. If we want to talk about misleading truths saying the "majority" of the population have a European background is pretty misleading when the number is actually 51%.

Of course a country that was founded as British and French colonies will still have a lot of white people. That there's still white people in Toronto doesn't take anything away from what I've said. There's nearly 600,000 muslims in Toronto, that's quite a lot of them but somehow we've not all succumbed to Sharia law.

I said I didn't think there's an inherent problem with either, not that they're all perfect in their implementation across the Earth. There's no "debate" to have here unless you're going to tell me that people of multiple cultures inherently leads to problems, or that muslims inherently cause problems. If that's your position then I'm not having a debate with you.

As an aside, I find it pretty funny that in the gun, god, or discussions about black crime/policing online there's a big circlejerk about how much more progressive Europe is. Then when it comes to Islam you get Europeans who are so smug about what Bubba thinks about his AR-15, bible, and black people talking about how dangerous Islam and multicultural cities are. I see stuff said online by Europeans about muslims or Roma people ("gypsies") that they'd be frothing with rage if an American said them about a gay or a black person.

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CMA&Code1=535&Data=Count&SearchText=toronto&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&A1=Ethnic origin&B1=All&Custom=&TABID=1

Now as ethnic backgrounds can get a bit confusing, as people can have more than one ethnic background, but it's still more useful than going by visible minorities, I'm going to go by the major headings in the link. Top responses by country is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Toronto (at the bottom of the cultural diversity section)

And going by that you get an overall number of 6,440,470 of responses, with 3,646,475 being either European or North American (With only 13.2% of the population (728,000 people) saying they have a Canadian ethnic background) and 2,793,995 being all other ethnic origins, which is 43.4% to 56.6%. So you're right in that there is a high number of people in the all other ethnic origins category and that Toronto is very multicultural, that's not the issue, the issue is that you ignored the ethnic background of 56.6% of the population (approx.) seemingly on purpose. Which is quite misleading especially considering as my second link showed the top responses for ethnic background is dominated by Western European countries, none of which got a mention in your list for whatever reason.

There's nearly 600,000 muslims in Toronto, that's quite a lot of them but somehow we've not all succumbed to Sharia law.

The UK has 2.8 million (2011), your point? You see numbers aren't too useful without context, or percentages, and the only reason I can see to only state a number is to try and exaggerate the actual amount, and considering that was the only statistic you failed to give a percentage for (and the only one you presented as a number), I'm lead to believe that's what you were aiming to do. Also if I want to be really picky the number itself seems exaggerated, at least based on the 2011 statistics which said 8.2% of 5.5 million people were Muslim, which works out as about 450,000 Muslims.

So in other words, the statistics do back up my argument that you ignored the ethnic background of most of the population to make your argument seem more valid, or at least that's how it appears.

EDIT: It's also worth noting I don't necessarily disagree with your argument, just the way you're presenting and defending it.

EDIT2: Moving to multiculturalism thread when I get home.

Last edited:
So in other words, the statistics do back up my argument that you ignored the ethnic background of most of the population to make your argument seem more valid, or at least that's how it appears.

I'm not seeing this. Before you responded to him on that the only thing he said was Toronto was the most multicultural city.

To be honest when discussing multiculturalism I don't understand why it's important to mention that the majority demographic of a cities population is - shockingly - not an ethnic minority =S

I'm not seeing this. Before you responded to him on that the only thing he said was Toronto was the most multicultural city.

To be honest when discussing multiculturalism I don't understand why it's important to mention that the majority demographic of a cities population is - shockingly - not an ethnic minority =S
Exactly, I added more in the other thread but the only number that's required for my point to stand is "a lot". It doesn't mean that there aren't a large number of people from China, India, the Phillipines, etc. if there's also a lot of people from Germany, Britain, and Ireland.

The point is it's a counter to the argument that western and eastern cultures "can't" coexist.

That is exactly my point (multiculturalism, with a side of Muslims). Why not? Afraid of being called a 'racist'? No problem then, I'm sure there are plenty of people who will jump on me when I start it.
Given that cultures and religions are not races then its unlikely; can't however rule out ignorant, intolerant or bigot however.

Given that cultures and religions are not races then its unlikely; can't however rule out ignorant, intolerant or bigot however.
Hah, funny of you to be the one to say that line!

Try growing up in my multiracial Muslim country before you start calling people ignorant, intolerant or bigoted.

Hah, funny of you to be the one to say that line!

Try growing up in my multiracial Muslim country before you start calling people ignorant, intolerant or bigoted.
Try growing up in my Multicultural country (and marriage) before you claim it doesn't work.

Oh and try reading a little more carefully, I didn't call you anything.

Try growing up in my Multicultural country (and marriage) before you claim it doesn't work.

Oh and try reading a little more carefully, I didn't call you anything.
I reckon I'd be totally, completely fine. I just can't tolerate intolerance. Islam has an intolerance with me an atheist (or any other religion for that matter) marrying a Muslim.

I do not like intolerant people.

I reckon I'd be totally, completely fine. I just can't tolerate intolerance. Islam has an intolerance with me an atheist (or any other religion for that matter) marrying a Muslim.

I do not like intolerant people.
Hate to break it to you but your showing your own intolerance with that comment.

My wife was a practicing Catholic and wanted to marry in Church, I had to state that I was still a practicing Christian (I have never been) and write to the bishop to ask for permission as my family background is protestant. So the same issue, but with Christianity.

In singling out one religion and then grouping all of its members into the same pile you are displaying the exact same intolerance that you are complaining about.

Hate to break it to you but your showing your own intolerance with that comment.

My wife was a practicing Catholic and wanted to marry in Church, I had to state that I was still a practicing Christian (I have never been) and write to the bishop to ask for permission as my family background is protestant. So the same issue, but with Christianity.

In singling out one religion and then grouping all of its members into the same pile you are displaying the exact same intolerance that you are complaining about.
The State controls the religion of Muslims here. That's at least 15 million people so a pretty big pile and we haven't gone to other Muslim countries yet. Apostasy is punishable by death in my country (Though no one has ever been killed yet. The law is there to most probably dissuade people from committing apostasy and it's working). Muslims have no freedom of religion. I wouldn't mind converting to Islam if I can leave the faith in the future. Like seriously, I was so love struck back in school. I was so naive.

This kinda stuff (bold) frustrates me to no end. Namely, the childish problems that pop up in inter-religious marriages. I don't get why several religions have to be so insecure that they can't approve of a marriage to an 'outsider' unless they either convert or are already part of a different sect. I wonder what'd happen if we had an about-to-be-wed couple where the spouses come from two different religions that both force conversion upon marriage.

Just my £0.02, I definitely wouldn't claim to be a man of faith (when I'm not) just to get to marry a chick. If I'm not good enough for wifey's family/community the way I am, then it won't be worth it. :D

This kinda stuff (bold) frustrates me to no end. Namely, the childish problems that pop up in inter-religious marriages. I don't get why several religions have to be so insecure that they can't approve of a marriage to an 'outsider' unless they either convert or are already part of a different sect. I wonder what'd happen if we had an about-to-be-wed couple where the spouses come from two different religions that both force conversion upon marriage.

Just my £0.02, I definitely wouldn't claim to be a man of faith (when I'm not) just to get to marry a chick. If I'm not good enough for wifey's family/community the way I am, then it won't be worth it. :D
Here's the difference.

I didn't give a stuff what my wife's families religion thought of me (no surprise given that I lied to them), but I do care about my wife.

I was quite happy to let them have their little delusion if it allowed me to marry my wife in a manner than fore-filled a wish she had from a young age. After all I was marrying my (now) wife, not her family.

The State controls the religion of Muslims here.
And no religion ever should, but its not a trait that is unique to Islam or indeed universal.

That's at least 15 million people so a pretty big pile and we haven't gone to other Muslim countries yet. Apostasy is punishable by death in my country (Though no one has ever been killed yet. The law is there to most probably dissuade people from committing apostasy and it's working). Muslims have no freedom of religion. I wouldn't mind converting to Islam if I can leave the faith in the future. Like seriously, I was so love struck back in school. I was so naive.
Again it shouldn't be, but again is not universal.

And no religion ever should, but its not a trait that is unique to Islam or indeed universal.

Again it shouldn't be, but again is not universal.
But that is the reality here, Scaff. :guilty:

Sometimes I wonder if I should just convert to Islam and live a blissfully ignorant life here.

But that is the reality here, Scaff. :guilty:

Sometimes I wonder if I should just convert to Islam and live a blissfully ignorant life here.
I know and I fully condemn it.

However you seem to then be taking that an turning it into any form of Islam, anyplace on the globe as being the same; then further projecting that to Multiculturalism doesn't work if it includes Islam in any way.

As a result you can (and at times have) come across as just as intolerant as those you rightly condemn.

Interesting story.

Police charged Eric Paul Stillwell, 38, Natosha Derrick, 29, and Elizabeth Frost, 28, with third-degree burglary and second-degree theft of property in the second burglary.

But what are these in relation to other degrees of burglary and theft?

But what are these in relation to other degrees of burglary and theft?
It differs from state-to-state, but the degree of the violation is generally determined by the type of force (if any) that is used. At gunpoint would be first degree. Threatening without a visible weapon would be second degree. Entering a home with no one present is third degree. That's a possible example. Ultimately, the main intent was to steal things. The degree is the method used.

And the sentencing is determined by the legal degree. With a gun can mean as high as 25 years in jail while just taking something from a house you enter while they are out could be under a year. Of course, in a home robbery a breaking and entering or trespassing charge also tends to accompany it.

tumblr_mn4nstxrPk1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

I regret opening that link, just for the mere fact it was on Closer's website. That's where you work when you've failed your BA in Journalism.

Hey, chubby chasers need their own BBW celebrity sex tapes. America is equal opportunity.

As a frequent user of the internet, this is not that surprising to me.

They do but she is she still with the nonce, though? That wouldn't be right.

I refuse to click on clickbait.

They do but she is she still with the nonce, though? That wouldn't be right.

I refuse to click on clickbait.
No clue, but in a world where Europe protects Roman Polanski all bets are off.

No clue, but in a world where Europe protects Roman Polanski all bets are off.
Polanski had sex in 70's LA with a willing, experienced 13 year old, and Europe won't arrest him for it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Polanski_sexual_abuse_case

But now Europe may arrest and try Dick Cheney or other architects of torture fingered in the latest Senate report on torture. Plainly Europe has different values than us.

Latest Posts

Back