America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...r-claiming-55515/story-fnjwnhzf-1227585230564

t8vsx.jpg

Man talk about anal teaching.

The way I see it and lernt is not five threes, but five added three times

http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...r-claiming-55515/story-fnjwnhzf-1227585230564

View attachment 469726

Man talk about anal teaching.

The way I see it and lernt is not five threes, but five added three times

That's Common Core for you...:rolleyes:

It's a whole educational plan. It pretty much makes simple problems overly complex for no reason at all.

I don't get it either. Might be a barmy old codger, but still...that's less education and more indoctrination, forgive my Facebook clichés.

How are american kids taught multiplication.
Do they get taught five threes or five added three times.

IIRC I was taught
Value-Multiplier-Product

That's how I was taught as well. This Common Core thing only started a few years ago.

To make things worse they are even starting to have "Playground Advisors" that make recess structured so children can't have fun (they can only play something if it's on that days list).

How are american kids taught multiplication.
Do they get taught five threes or five added three times.
That's how I was taught as well. This Common Core thing only started a few years ago.

The real problem with common core is that the teachers don't seem to understand it. Common core tries to establish an underlying framework on which to build math. The teachers didn't learn that, and they never intuited it, or they wouldn't be elementary school teachers. So they go by what the book says, which is that 3x5 is 3 counted 5 times rather than 5 counted 3 times. They don't understand WHY they're teaching this breakdown because they just memorized 5x3=15, and so they don't know the principles being applied correctly when they see it slightly differently from the answer key.

In short, these teachers are not that bright, never really learned math, and don't understand the curriculum. So it's doomed, at least until teachers who learned it in the first place (from teachers who didn't know it) start teaching.

3x5 is 3 counted 5 times rather than 5 counted 3 times.
That's part of the problem -- as @Touring Mars points out, 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 is 5 x 3, not 3 x 5. 3 x 5 would be 5 + 5 + 5. And if you get it backwards, they say You Are Wrong. Never mind that 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 5 + 5 + 5 = 3 x 5 = 5 x 3 = 15. Apparently getting the correct answer (15) doesn't matter, what's important is how you do it.

That's part of the problem -- as @Touring Mars points out, 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 is 5 x 3, not 3 x 5.
3 x 5 would be 5 + 5 + 5. And if you get it backwards, they say You Are Wrong. Never mind that 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 5 + 5 + 5 = 3 x 5 = 5 x 3 = 15. Apparently getting the correct answer (15) doesn't matter, what's important is how you do it.
It's just that neither method is poor maths.

The real problem with common core is that the teachers don't seem to understand it. ...
In short, these teachers are not that bright, never really learned math, and don't understand the curriculum. So it's doomed, at least until teachers who learned it in the first place (from teachers who didn't know it) start teaching.

It's not at all helped by parents who intentionally and/or ignorantly bypass the instructions. Which kind of grates my carrot as well. There's a lesson on estimating, something people do all the freaking time. Or figuring out what might be a respectably and sensibly-close answer...on the face of it, that sounds woefully inexact, but there's times you might have to divide 492 by 36 but you've got your hands physically full, the phone's ringing, it's 95 degrees outside, you're two hours overdue for lunch, someone right near you is excessively loud, and [insert deadline(s) here].

But yes, elementary school teachers weren't mathematics majors in college. They're given many workshops and conferences to learn all about it, and how much information is carried back to the classroom setting is entirely variable.

Also, there's a few states (on averages) that are so far backwards (Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, West Virginia) in reading, writing, vocabulary, and comprehension that need to realize standards created decades ago aren't going to pass muster against the averages in many others (New York, California, India, Ontario, Denmark). So some of the legislatures came up with all sorts of plans and funding so bridge these gaps...it's going to take a generation or so, especially since there's worn-out pockets of this country with tremendous dropout rates, which breeds high crime, other potential sources of local dumbassery, and even some places where there really isn't much for a high-school graduate to do with that diploma, without a means of transportation.

Oh, I may have failed geography at some point.

Last edited:

To make things worse they are even starting to have "Playground Advisors" that make recess structured so children can't have fun (they can only play something if it's on that days list).

Where? Making mental list of reasons to homeschool should I change my mind about having kids.

Where? Making mental list of reasons to homeschool should I change my mind about having kids.

I'm not sure if they do it elsewhere, I just remember reading about it being tested in a few cities in MN this school year. The part that really infuriated me was when one little boy was told he couldn't play basketball because it wasn't on that days list of activities.

I'm not sure if they do it elsewhere, I just remember reading about it being tested in a few cities in MN this school year. The part that really infuriated me was when one little boy was told he couldn't play basketball because it wasn't on that days list of activities.

*insert witty Minnesota joke here*

I would say more, but then I'd be using words that'll get me in trouble rather quickly. PLAY WHATEVER. No, not that, THIS. WAY TO GO.

It also seems, reading posts elsewhere and then noting @Danoff and @Touring Mars' respective comments that there's a linguistic difference in the expression too.

To me 3x5 means 3, five times. To the other side of the pond the consensus seems to be that it's 5, three times. Irrelevant but I found the thought interesting :)

Either way unless there's something about this test that we simply don't know... stupid marker is stupid. Perhaps they weren't even a teacher? Some schools in Britain now farm marking out to lower per-hour staff with a lookup sheet.

If I had to teach one method over the other, I would say to add the number listed second the amount of times of the number lister first.
That way it fits with 5 x 3 being notated the same as 5x or 5 apples.
However, not to accept that a student understands that the 2 methods are both correct is just wrong.

To me 3x5 means 3, five times. To the other side of the pond the consensus seems to be that it's 5, three times. Irrelevant but I found the thought interesting :)

We multiply on the right side of the road.

Of course, the commutative property of multiplication (or addition) means they're both correct.

It also seems, reading posts elsewhere and then noting @Danoff and @Touring Mars' respective comments that there's a linguistic difference in the expression too.

Either way unless there's something about this test that we simply don't know... stupid marker is stupid. Perhaps they weren't even a teacher? Some schools in Britain now farm marking out to lower per-hour staff with a lookup sheet.
Consensus or linguistic differences don't matter whatsoever. The kids are being taught that 5 x 3 is 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3, and Anything Else Is Wrong.

Of course, the commutative property of multiplication (or addition) means they're both correct.
Consensus or linguistic differences don't matter whatsoever. The kids are being taught that 5 x 3 is 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3, and Anything Else Is Wrong.

Absolutely and absolutely... I was making the irrelevant observation based on what I'd read on the issue here and elsewhere.

That goes nowhere to justify this marking, presuming that we can take it at face value. It's hard to imagine any other possibility from such simple questions though.

As a recent HS graduate(actually 2012 that's not very recent but maybe more recent than others) I don't see the problem with common core math. Today's society requires more than knowing the final answer. You need to know how to problem solve and have many ways of coming to a solution. Especially with phones and tech today simply having the answer right is not enough. However math is not my strong suit and probably lead to me losing up to 5 points on my ACT score lmao( I got a 16 in math and 22 overall)

Latest Posts

Back