America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
A year ago, reporter quits live on TV in dramatic fashion over legalization of Marijuana. (Language warning)
Fast forward to this week, same person arrested on Felony drug charges

http://www.adn.com/node/2859711
A little misleading. She didn't quit "over" marijuana reform, she quit to get into the marijuana advocacy business. After quitting on air in dramatic fashion, she opened a crowd funding campaign for the purposes of advocating for marijuana reform.

So, according to Ahmed Mohamed - the 14 year old clock-building whizzkid - he used cables to hold the contraption closed because he didn't want it to look 'like a threat' or 'too suspicious'...

Surprised no one has posted this:

According to Richard Dawkins, Ahmet's so called science experiment is nothing more than a disassembled clock, as oppposed to something he built from scratch as it was inferred in most of the news media.

Disassembling & reassembling is great. But you shouldn’t then claim it was your “invention”. http://t.co/bBcaWoJpbd

If the reassembled components did something more than the original clock, that’s creative. If not, it looks like hoax http://t.co/bBcaWoJpbd

— Richard Dawkins (@RichardDawkins) September 20, 2015

He also noted that law enforcement around the world would have reacted negatively to the device:

@I_Love_Atheism@letuckshop If you put Ahmed’s clock through a US airport X-ray machine, what do you think the shoe inspectors would do?

— Richard Dawkins (@RichardDawkins) September 20, 2015

Surprised no one has posted this:

According to Richard Dawkins, Ahmet's so called science experiment is nothing more than a disassembled clock, as oppposed to something he built from scratch as it was inferred in most of the news media.
DAMN... I could've gotten a free ride to MIT if all I did was take apart my old alarm clock which the buttons didn't work anymore, and just put them in the front of a note book....

damn...

You can buy your other half a sexy Donald Trump costume for Halloween.... riiiiiiggght... :rolleyes:

2CDFDFC900000578-3252650-image-a-64_1443476987502.jpg

What unfolded this morning in Roseburg really hits me hard. I'm a paramedic student and I'm doing my internship with Douglas County Fire District #2 right there in Roseburg. I was on shift yesterday but ended up going home early because our ambulance got into a wreck yesterday and my instructor injured her arm. (Not broken, she just found it too painful to lift anything) She opted to go home yesterday.

I don't know when the shooting started, but I get the feeling that if we stuck around for the full 24 hour shift, I'd be there right now helping clean that up.

I think I've been making the mistake of auto-grouping the US with the list of "healthy" countries, and being taken aback every time an horrific shooting happens. Conversely, I'd probably think of it as pretty much par for the course for an "unhealthy" country. So, some atrocity happens in northern Africa and I'm thinking political instability, poverty, disinfranchisement and such - but in America, and I'm scratching my head wondering why the reality doesn't match the perception - but something has to be wrong, right? Maybe the truth is that America is both extremely unhealthy and healthy, and is far more juxtaposed than most or any other countries in the world.

If Australia was somehow suddenly merged with Somalia, I'd be damn annoyed if people blamed gun crime simply on the presence of guns. I'm starting to think that America is some kind of equivalent to such an unfortunate marrying. This is not to conjure any disrespect to the US, but rather to understand the breadth of what the country embodies, and recognise that in the current state they will inevitably have "Somalia moments".

"Precision" airstrikes.
If they want to do "precision air strikes" then at least know where the hell you're throwing stuff before you let them loose. It's unreal on how much damage one misplaced comma on the geographical location can make.

It was a response to people who defend Obama's war mongering by saying he is using precision airstrikes, which are much more humane.

This isn't the first time a strike has resulted in war crime allegations. This one will just be really hard to sweep under the rug.

It was a response to people who defend Obama's war mongering by saying he is using precision airstrikes, which are much more humane.

This isn't the first time a strike has resulted in war crime allegations. This one will just be really hard to sweep under the rug.
I couldn't agree more to that

Meanwhile, the EPA is polluting rivers and getting away with it.

https://www.facebook.com/CrestedButteNews?fref=nf

The accidental spill from a holding pond at the Standard Mine reclamation project west of Crested Butte is not expected to have any negative impact on the town’s drinking water.

The spill occurred late Wednesday and is believed to have involved approximately 2,000 gallons of water and gray-colored sediment. An EPA contractor accidentally released the sediment into Elk Creek as he was dewatering a sediment pond. Based on the neutral pH levels, the quantity of water released, and flow levels downstream in Coal Creek, the Town of Crested Butte did not close its water intakes. Subsequent investigation found no visible plume or signs of significant impacts in downstream locations. All work on the sediment pond is complete. The EPA continues to coordinate closely with Crested Butte officials on this matter.

I know it says drinking water won't be negatively impacted, but that's beside the point. This can't keep happening.

If a company had done it they would have been fined.
And much more than that. Fined, vilified, completely roasted in the liberal press as an evil corporation bent on profits at all costs. Bernie Sanders would have been proclaiming that we need even more regulations to prevent accidents like this. The news media would have flooded the town, scouring for interviews with poor, helpless victims that had suddenly fallen ill due to the toxic water.

But it's the EPA...so...nothing to see here...move along.

Not the first time this has happened either:

Back