America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
Looks like the intelligence service might be cooking the books on ISIS. Wonder who gave that order?:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...0-spies-say-isis-intelligence-was-cooked.html

Cooking the intelligence to fit a public narrative worked for the Bush administration, so why not for Obama?

So if he is soft pedaling the problem of ISIS, what then is he really trying to do? What is the deep game?

One possible answer is that regime change, civil war and sectarian conflict in the Middle East suit our purposes.

Last edited:
I don't... could you furnish a fuller explanation?

The article that @Johnnypenso linked also contained this "The rule of law requires the active engagement of the law-making branch. Our republic cannot long survive the repeated circumvention of that branch by presidents who seek to impose their own will and pursue their own glory". So Barack Obama re-names McKinley because he thinks he can, and Trump would change it back because he thinks he could. It's a mountain. Leave it to the state and its residents to decide. The country has got bigger things to deal with right now.

The article that @Johnnypenso linked also contained this "The rule of law requires the active engagement of the law-making branch. Our republic cannot long survive the repeated circumvention of that branch by presidents who seek to impose their own will and pursue their own glory". So Barack Obama re-names McKinley because he thinks he can, and Trump would change it back because he thinks he could. It's a mountain. Leave it to the state and its residents to decide. The country has got bigger things to deal with right now.

But the name was originally changed from Denali as a corporate sop, wasn't it? Do you disagree that the Naming Board has the rights that the Oval Office claims it does?

My photo from last week...

11947731_939096219268_8159461974514596530_o.jpg

I visited the 9/11 memorial and the Freedom Tower on my first full day in NYC. I must admit that I shed quite a few tears when I was at the top of the new tower, partly because the day I was there happened to be the 5th anniversary of my cousin's passing, but it was an emotional experience even aside from that. Getting my first proper view of NYC from the One World observatory was epic and somewhat overwhelming.

I loved New York City beyond what I had anticipated, and I was expecting quite a lot. It's a cacophony of people, sights, sounds and smells (some smells being better than others!) - an intoxicating, vibrant, exhilarating mix. I got the distinct feeling that an attack on the people of New York is an attack on humanity itself, and nowhere symbolized that more than the beautiful but stark memorials in lower Manhattan.

At the top of the tower, I had a Bruichladdich single malt whisky for my cousin, followed by a Hudson Baby Bourbon while looking out over the Hudson itself. If I hadn't already been crying before I got my bar tab, I probably would have started then.

But the name was originally changed from Denali as a corporate sop, wasn't it? Do you disagree that the Naming Board has the rights that the Oval Office claims it does?

Yes, the United States Board on Geographical Names has the exclusive naming rights. It was a gold prospector that first named it "McKinley". Upon reading more it seems I was wrong in believeing it was completely Obama's idea. But the board exercised its authority to make the change it based upon "failure to act" on a decades old request for a change. Actually, Sally Jewell ( D ) acted. So, I guess if Donald Trump was elected he actually might not be able to change the name, unless he replaces Jewell.

I vote for "Mount Ivanka" :lol:

I just think that if the state in which the mountain resides wants it named something else, they should have every right to have it changed. It is in their state after all.
My point is that the local businesses shouldn't be worried about anything because everbody knows what Mt. Mckinley is.

@Touring Mars I had trouble holding back tears while going through the museum as well. There are very few touristy things I've done in NYC but I had to go to the museum just as an American and a kid who watched it on TV in middle school. The scale of the site is massive and I think it's wonderful that they preserved pieces of the building's foundation underground. At least part of those towers is still standing and it would take one hell of an act of nature to destroy it. I really enjoyed the design of the whole thing which is magnificent yet respectful. It's perfect that they used the old structures as an integral part of the new museum.

Last edited:
My point is that the local businesses shouldn't be worried about anything because everbody knows what Mt. Mckinley is.
I'd leave it in my business name just so that in 20 years and beyond it becomes that interesting fact about your company.

I don't care what they call the mountain, so long as the businesses aren't forced to change their names.

If I must pick a name for it though, I'm going with Mt. Fillion.

I visited the memorial in 2013, man it was hard for me to hold back tears.
image.jpg

image.jpg

(Taken from GE/Rock Center Tower)
image.jpg

(The musuem was not open yet but when I walked over to the building, I saw this)
image.jpg

Pentagon Memorial (tourist group of kids decided to come when I visited and got in the way)
image.jpg

It's hard to believe it has been 14 years now.

Last edited:
I'm probably in the minority that thinks the school's actions were completely fine (the police part seems like overkill though).

900x506

I say that because that doesn't look like a normal clock, it actually looks like the type of "bomb" used in Hollywood movies. Perhaps since his intention was to show it to a certain teacher he should have brought it there prior to school starting instead of bringing it to all his classes.

And if the boy was Caucasian? What would have been the school's reaction then?
Probably no different. My high school that I graduated from (that my sister currently attends) has already had over ten bomb threats, multiple letters of mass shootings/violence that will occur, and several unknown items left on campus that were suspiciously placed. Security there is low to be honest, but anyone who knows of anything in regards to someone violently and physically harming someone else is not taken with the slightest of intentions, no matter what race/ethnicity. For the most part, all have been Caucasian, but on the Chicago side of the story, we are not nearly as multi-cultural as that school, and for that reason due to the ever changing world, they made no mistake. Clock or not, would it not be obvious for a teacher or fellow student to ask "why are you carrying a brief" when the normal student/child has a backpack? Critical as to why, not "what's in there." It's of no business to a teacher as to what is in my backpack at college, or my phone, or my laptop. The question as to why should allude to the student to explain the what.

And if the boy was Caucasian? What would have been the school's reaction then?
They'd be hailing him as the next Einstein for making a clock that can pass for a bomb. He'd be an apprentice at Rolex this summer.

/s

No worries though, the White House has already adjudicated the case via Reuters and decided it's race motivated and we all have something to learn from it.

During his afternoon briefing, White House press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters the Obama administration viewed the case as a "teachable moment." "This episode is a good illustration of how pernicious stereotypes can prevent even good hearted people from doing good work," Earnest said. "The White House was pleased to extend an invitation to Ahmed to participate in Astronomy Night. We'll bring together NASA scientists, others to spend time with young people. It will be an opportunity to talk about science, the solar system. It should be a good event. We're hopeful he'll feel right at home."
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/1...-clock-to-school-after-teacher/?intcmp=hplnws

Last edited:
I'm probably in the minority that thinks the school's actions were completely fine (the police part seems like overkill though).

900x506

I say that because that doesn't look like a normal clock, it actually looks like the type of "bomb" used in Hollywood movies. Perhaps since his intention was to show it to a certain teacher he should have brought it there prior to school starting instead of bringing it to all his classes.

Apparently Obama has invited him to the White House.... good luck getting that thing on the plane dude.

At least one comment was 'Making clocks is not a crime!'.... I'm sorry, but 🤬 off with that. :rolleyes:

Latest Posts

Back