America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
Companies in Alaska ponder the official renaming of Mt McKinley to Denali.

contact.jpg

With dozens of Alaska companies with McKinley in their name, a simple name change would be costly.
“It’s going to cost me a fortune and I am very unhappy about it,” McKinley View Lodge owner Jean Cary Richardson said Monday from her business in Denali.

Richardson is planning to change the lodge name, and that means changing more than just the business, but also signage, “check books, bank accounts, everything,” Richardson said.

And now Trump is trying to use this in his Presidential Campaign, saying he will change the name back to Mt. McKinley.

contact.jpg

With dozens of Alaska companies with McKinley in their name, a simple name change would be costly.
“It’s going to cost me a fortune and I am very unhappy about it,” McKinley View Lodge owner Jean Cary Richardson said Monday from her business in Denali.

Richardson is planning to change the lodge name, and that means changing more than just the business, but also signage, “check books, bank accounts, everything,” Richardson said.

And now Trump is trying to use this in his Presidential Campaign, saying he will change the name back to Mt. McKinley.
I don't see any reason why any business would be required to rename itself.

To hell with President William McKinley, the worst of all US presidents. Upon his inauguration, the US was a republic. Upon his death by assassination, the US was an empire, having declared war on Spain and invaded the Philippines.

To hell with President William McKinley, the worst of all US presidents. Upon his inauguration, the US was a republic. Upon his death by assassination, the US was an empire, having declared war on Spain and invaded the Philippines.
I am 99.999999% sure that whether or not we should continue to honor McKinely is not the issue at hand.

I am 99.999999% sure that whether or not we should continue to honor McKinely is not the issue at hand.
Having summited hundreds of peaks in Alaska, British Columbia, Washington and Peru since the '70's, I have long since referred to Mt. McKinley as Denali. Does that make you happy? My opinion of the eponymous gilded-age American president can in no way be considered off-topic.

I have no clue if it makes me happy as I have no clue what you are worked up about. I also have no clue how your opinion, your expertise at climbing mountains, or what you personally call something affects the cost to the businesses that will be faced with the decision of changing their names, but have at it.

I have no clue if it makes me happy as I have no clue what you are worked up about. I also have no clue how your opinion, your expertise at climbing mountains, or what you personally call something affects the cost to the businesses that will be faced with the decision of changing their names, but have at it.

My opinion of President McKinley is something you and all Americans very much need to know. ;)

But I have no opinion at all of the cost of changing the name of a business in Alaska, if that is really a big issue for you. :rolleyes:

contact.jpg

Local residents have been lobbying to change it back to Denali since the 70's. These businesses should have seen it coming. Trump won't be president, so no worries there.

Years ago, in nearby New Hampshire, I climbed Mount Pierce (a 4310 foot mountain named for President Franklin Pierce).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Pierce_(New_Hampshire)

This mountain was previously named Mount Clinton (named after Governor DeWitt Clinton of New York), but the mountain had a name change in 1913.

If Hillary Clinton becomes our next President will Mount Pierce be re-named Mount Clinton???:nervous::D

Whether named Mt McKinley or Denali, the Alaskan mountain is waaay too high for me:eek:

Looking for smaller mountains to ascend:D
GTsail

Last edited:

For some reason Hasbro thought it would sell. It's a crazy world.

Lawsuit
Without Faulkner’s prior knowledge or consent, Defendant Hasbro, Inc. (“Hasbro”), a multi-billion dollar toy company, willfully and wrongfully appropriated Faulkner’s unique and valuable name and distinctive persona for its own financial gain—by creating, manufacturing, and distributing for sale a plastic toy hamster named “Harris Faulkner” as part of Hasbro’s “Littlest Pet Shop” product line (the “Harris Faulkner Hamster Doll”). The packaging for the Harris Faulkner Hamster Doll includes a “TM” symbol after Faulkner’s name which, according to the packaging’s language, falsely signifies that Hasbro claims a United States trademark interest in Faulkner’s name, when it in fact owns no such interest, registered or otherwise. The packaging also contains a warning that the Harris Faulkner Hamster Doll is a “CHOKING HAZARD.”

Papers.

I'm not sure how successful she will be considering the doll looks nothing like her. I also find it hilarious that they included the choking hazard part.:lol:

I'm not sure how successful she will be considering the doll looks nothing like her. I also find it hilarious that they included the choking hazard part.:lol:

Does it matter if it looked like her? It had her name on it... you might even say that the rodent resemblance over her own adds damages?

Does it matter if it looked like her?

Yes, because without similar looks there is nothing to stop Hasbro from saying the name came from a friend one of the creators had in high school and that the shared name is just one big coincidence.

Yes, because without similar looks there is nothing to stop Hasbro from saying the name came from a friend one of the creators had in high school and that the shared name is just one big coincidence.

Of course they can say what they like. They have some form though.

Local residents have been lobbying to change it back to Denali since the 70's. These businesses should have seen it coming. Trump won't be president, so no worries there.
Why is it such a big issue? There are way more people aware of the McKinley name than Denali, at least everywhere else in the country. Kind of like how people still call the Sears Tower the Sears Tower. Because that's the way it is. I don't know whatchu talkin' bout but it ain't Willis that's for sure.

Why is it such a big issue? There are way more people aware of the McKinley name than Denali, at least everywhere else in the country. Kind of like how people still call the Sears Tower the Sears Tower. Because that's the way it is. I don't know whatchu talkin' bout but it ain't Willis that's for sure.
I just think that if the state in which the mountain resides wants it named something else, they should have every right to have it changed. It is in their state after all.

I just think that if the state in which the mountain resides wants it named something else, they should have every right to have it changed. It is in their state after all.
Which does bring up a question. Who has the naming rights? More specifically, who has the re-naming rights? And why?

(Not asking you specifically, I'm just tossing the question out there.)

Which does bring up a question. Who has the naming rights? More specifically, who has the re-naming rights? And why?

Could be it is a national park, so then the national government owns and manages the parkland.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/president-who-gets-name-mountains_1023445.html

Mount McKinley sits on federal territory, in Denali National Park. The Constitution reads, “The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States.” Similarly, it says, “The Congress shall have Power…To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States.”

We all know who thinks he does.

Looks like the intelligence service might be cooking the books on ISIS. Wonder who gave that order?:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...0-spies-say-isis-intelligence-was-cooked.html

More than 50 intelligence analysts working out of the U.S. military's Central Command have formally complained that their reports on ISIS and al Qaeda’s branch in Syria were being inappropriately altered by senior officials, The Daily Beast has learned. The complaints spurred the Pentagon’s inspector general to open an investigation into the alleged manipulation of intelligence. The fact that so many people complained suggests there are deep-rooted, systemic problems in how the U.S. military command charged with the war against the self-proclaimed Islamic State assesses intelligence. The analysts have accused senior-level leaders, including the director of intelligence and his deputy in CENTCOM, of changing their analyses to be more in line with the Obama administration’s public contention that the fight against ISIS and al Qaeda is making progress. The analysts take a more pessimistic view about how military efforts to destroy the groups are going.

Back