America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
I remember reading something a decade or so ago that theorized that the President probably technically had the ability to do so; but then postulated that no one (not even Nixon/Ford) had ever dared do anything approaching it because it would be essentially be admitting guilt to try a defense that probably wouldn't clear the Constitutional scrutiny of the inevitable months-long Supreme Court case (and even if it ultimately did, Congress would start impeachment proceedings purely for spite at that point), and that no administration had ever been so openly corrupt as to actually need to seriously consider it an option. It wouldn't surprise me if Trump didn't recognize either of these things.

Comes off like the term limit hole in the Constitution, where the rules were "understood" by most involved and not seriously tested right up until someone was elected president four times in a row.

d3d270294e793aa9-545x400.png

Or use a picture of FDR. Whichever.

OK this is just getting weirder by the day.

Apparently Pruitt not content with privacy cubicles, bio-metric locks and expensive fountain pen sets tasked one of his staff with going to a Trump International hotel to buy a used mattress!

"...........Hupp told Oversight staff she worked with the managing director of the Trump International Hotel in hopes of securing an old mattress. She said Pruitt had told her someone at the hotel indicated he could purchase the mattress, though she did not know why he wished to do so and did not know if he ultimately bought it."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/04/scott-pruitt-trump-hotel-mattress-592165

The mind does truly boggle at this one.

I remember reading something a decade or so ago that theorized that the President probably technically had the ability to do so; but then postulated that no one (not even Nixon/Ford) had ever dared do anything approaching it because it would be essentially be admitting guilt to try a defense that probably wouldn't clear the Constitutional scrutiny of the inevitable months-long Supreme Court case (and even if it ultimately did, Congress would start impeachment proceedings purely for spite at that point), and that no administration had ever been so openly corrupt as to actually need to seriously consider it an option. It wouldn't surprise me if Trump didn't recognize either of these things.

This is my thought too. It seems like an idiot check, because nobody could seriously believe that pardoning themselves will allow them to get away with anything. That's why the US government has a division of power, and the rest of the government would stomp any president dumb enough to pardon themselves for a serious crime.

I hope there wasn't a deposit on it...

Do you think it's where Trump and Pruitt had their first night together? Aah, memories...

OK this is just getting weirder by the day.
That's why I don't post every time I see something new in Trump news.
Not even a week and the NK summit is back on.
The MSM is trying anything to get his approval numbers down.
And the way fake news spreads on Social Media they love watching everyone bicker when we don't know ANY truths in this witch hunt investigation.

That's why I don't post every time I see something new in Trump news.
Not even a week and the NK summit is back on.
So are you suggesting this isn't true and the aide lied to the oversight committee?

Of course, Pruitt's continued odd behaviour that's been criticized by both sides is really just the MSM targeting Trump. They made Pruitt do it.

And the way fake news spreads on Social Media they love watching everyone bicker when we don't know ANY truths in this witch hunt investigation.
Would that be the witchunt that's resulted in the indictment or guilty pleas from 19 people and three companies?

That doesn't really fit the criteria of a witchunt too well.

What I find particularly funny (not "haha" funny, mind; more "crawl back under the bridge fom which you came" funny) is that I know, with absolute certainty, that if the tables were turned, conservatives would be doing everything in their power to get a democrat out of office.

This is informed by the degree of division that we see in politics right now. And as much as I detest him, I'll be one of the first to acknowledge that Trump isn't the source of this division, rather he's likely a product of it.

Much like when W. was in office, it's not like they really have to try to make him look bad. At least with W. it was somewhat understandable that he didn't know how to do the whole publicity thing. Trump on the other hand has been working the publicity machine since at least the early 90's so it's baffling that he has been so terrible at it since taking office.

Much like when W. was in office, it's not like they really have to try to make him look bad. At least with W. it was somewhat understandable that he didn't know how to do the whole publicity thing. Trump on the other hand has been working the publicity machine since at least the early 90's so it's baffling that he has been so terrible at it since taking office.

But is he bad at it? Most of us allready forgot the 'pussygrabing tape', how he accused ted cruz's father of being in the plot to kill JFK, how he laughed at the disability of a reporter,...

It'q not really good publicity but as long as he keeps the ball rolling no one can take a sto and see just what he said/means.
I don't like it but I really think this is exactly his strategy.

To get his approval numbers down? Seriously? Because his approval numbers are so high that clearly someone needs to put effort into taking him down a peg or two.

While they're at it, they can put to death this nasty rumour that his inauguration wasn't well attended, and that there weren't millions of false votes cast for Hillary.

I'm so bored of the Trump talk, I'm bored of politics in general and how people seem so consumed by it these days. I don't think it's very healthy to be completely honest. I'm just hoping that people will focus on the finer, more worthwhile things in life, after all, the corrupt will always be corrupt, it's not something we can personally control.

In regards to this thread, since it is about America, the US is a big territory with lots of beautiful places to visit, I thought I would share some of them that I have been too. The North Cascades Park is absolutely stunning, even on day with bad weather.

NorthCascades_bigstock_2660122.jpg

jfyf82pnulkaxokqlj67.jpg

This should be Diablo lake if memory serves me correctly....

Diablo-Lake-North-Cascade-National-Park-e1465880812770.jpg

To the east of this by about an hour is the Methow Valley, which is simply stunning in the Spring. Now, I should be mention that the Canadians actually have the even more stunning half of this Valley, near Kelowna, BC. Pictured here is the lower half, located in Washington State.

1-methow-valley-spring-bill-johnson.jpg

539104_pearrygin_lake_methow_valley_winthrop_washington_o_2048x1367_(www.GdeFon.ru).jpg

Near this is a town called Winthrop, which is styled after an Old west town, complete with a Saloon. It's a nice place to stop and have lunch, stroll through an old west museum and have a scoop of ice cream.

If anyone else has some places they would like to share, I would love to see some posts like this. Anything is better than talking about Trump all day.

I like this. Since TexRex posted a spot local to him, I'll follow suit:

I'm particular fond of the area where the Russian River hits the Pacific Ocean near Jenner, CA:

162966902.7mSqvF5l.JennerRuss_ilview.jpg

Also, Pt Reyes:
71217285.jpg

And right next to it, Drake's Estero:
IMG_9925.cc.cw_.jpg

Muir Woods:
yfpf0q6wd9l4xznshjb0.jpg

And a little further north, Mendocino county in general. So beautiful.
optimized_239f50597b5f2f53ce7736818b08f1e1.jpg

@TexRex that is beautiful. I really need to head down there, my Great Uncle lives in Austin and gave me an open invite. Plus the music heritage of Austin is worth a visit alone, huge SRV fan here, and Willie too.

Dont have many good pics on my phone as I usually use my t5 rebel to take those kinda pictures, but... i didnt take that with me when we went to Niagara falls. So, here are a couple of my tourist shots from my phone.
Various shots of the falls early April
20180407_122447.jpg 20180407_115726.jpg
20180407_115753.jpg
And crossing the Blue Water Bridge back into Michigan.
20180408_130321.jpg

These posts and photos are great road trip inspiration. I was supposed to take a road trip down the West coast into northern California last year with the goal of visiting Redwood National Park, but unfortunately the trip fell through and we ended up doing something else. But I do planning on making that trip in the next two years.

Sights like that are why I've been waiting to go to the US my entire life. It's hard to find places in the UK that can match that.

Sights like that are why I've been waiting to go to the US my entire life. It's hard to find places in the UK that can match that.
I don't know...I was awestruck by Durdle Door when I was there a number of years ago. There were other spectacular views that I can still picture but the names of which I don't recall.

UK might not have much (I'll have to take your word for it) but i know the rest of Europe has a lot going on for it and is a farry ride away.

Last edited:
Around this time of year is the best time to visit, the best weather always happens to occur when secondary (high) school students sit their Leaving Cert exams.

Haven't personally seen much of the picturesque side of the USA... but sat on a Balcony in Oklahoma watching the thunder rolling in is definitely a view that will stay with me. Sadly, I totally failed at capturing it with my camera.

Back