America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
Last edited:
Comparatively, what does a typical Scotch vs domestic Bourbon cost there?

The price disparity is pretty big. A great value scotch like Lagavulin 16 here is around $60 (45ish GBP) and Talisker 18 is $150 (113GBP). Brands like Macallan command a much higher price than a typical Islay.

You can get very decent Bourbon for <100. Even something like Pappy's which goes for a few grand from re-sellers actually has an MSRP of 100-250ish.

Can't say this is terribly surprising.

The ban is entirely pointless and unjustified, but it was always a stretch to claim it unconstitutional. The only real point is being a vehicle for Trump (and by extension his supporters) to fulfill his sadist bullying tenancies.
I think it's a bit of a stretch to even bring the Constitution into it. The court leans to the right now and will for some time most likely. Had the court still leaned left the decision would have went the other way.

The second one. ;)

Damn it I really wanted to use this :lol:

giphy.gif

What? That's what the Supreme Court does....
I think what JP is saying is that in an ideal world it would have been judged according to the constitution and not been so close. That it was decided by a one point margin implies it could have been a partisan issue

I think what JP is saying is that in an ideal world it would have been judged according to the constitution and not been so close. That it was decided by a one point margin implies it could have been a partisan issue

Or interpretive differences influenced by ideology.

What? That's what the Supreme Court does....

Yes, exactly. Many SCOTUS votes end up right down party lines. The only thing that is clear cut is you can usually rely on each judge to vote in a certain way regardless of the issue.

Yes, exactly. Many SCOTUS votes end up right down party lines. The only thing that is clear cut is you can usually rely on each judge to vote in a certain way regardless of the issue.

I think your perception is biased by highly publicized, precedent setting cases in which case there is often obvious reasons for ideological splits. Let's look at 2018...

Gill v Whitford - Unanimous
Carpenter v. United States - Split not along partisan/ideological lines, 5-4, with dissent all over the map
Murphy vs NCAA - 7-2
Masterpiece Cakeshop vs Colorado - 5-4 (everyone knows about this one)
Husted v. A. Philip Randolph Institute - 5-4 (ideological split)
Collins v Virginia - 8-1
US v Microsoft - Rendered moot
National Institute of Family an Life Advocates v. Becerra - 5-4 (ideological split)
South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc. - Split not along partisan/ideological lines, 5-4
Tump v Hawaii - 5-4 (ideological split)

So out of the cases decided on by SCOTUS this year, 4/10 were ideologically split while the rest were either not split, or split not along purely partisan lines.

Can't say this is terribly surprising.

The ban is entirely pointless and unjustified, but it was always a stretch to claim it unconstitutional. The only real point is being a vehicle for Trump (and by extension his supporters) to fulfill his sadist bullying tendencies.

I respectfully suggest it was sadistic bullying writ large for the US and allies to have committed misguided interventions and other misdeeds in the Middle East and environs. These malefic actions are exactly what has brought upon us the understandable terrorism blowback from the nations we have violated. Foolish Americans believe terrorists are attacking us because of our freedoms and other such pap. NO! They are over here because we are over there. Now Americans are fearful of Muslims and a travel ban is here or coming. It is all giant cluster **** that didn't need to happen. It was on GW's watch, but now there's no going back. But the real point is not Trump, but us realizing this is happening because of us, deluded by corrupt leadership, consenting to our own undoing. Now we are at each other's throats. Who wins?

I respectfully suggest it was sadistic bullying writ large for the US and allies to have committed misguided interventions and other misdeeds in the Middle East and environs. These malefic actions are exactly what has brought upon us the understandable terrorism blowback from the nations we have violated. Foolish Americans believe terrorists are attacking us because of our freedoms and other such pap. NO! They are over here because we are over there. Now Americans are fearful of Muslims and a travel ban is here or coming. It is all giant cluster **** that didn't need to happen. It was on GW's watch, but now there's no going back. But the real point is not Trump, but us realizing this is happening because of us, deluded by corrupt leadership, consenting to our own undoing. Now we are at each other's throats. Who wins?

The ship started sailing a long time before GW. If you're looking for the origin of Middle-eastern resentment of American interventionism, it starts with Mosaddegh's ouster, in my opinion. It has snowballed from there. Imagine the USA, a nation founded on enlightenment ideals and a murderously strong aversion to monarchy, toppling a secular, democratically elected prime minister to install an actual king. It's ludicrous.

I think your perception is biased by highly publicized, precedent setting cases in which case there is often obvious reasons for ideological splits. Let's look at 2018...

Gill v Whitford - Unanimous
Carpenter v. United States - Split not along partisan/ideological lines, 5-4, with dissent all over the map
Murphy vs NCAA - 7-2
Masterpiece Cakeshop vs Colorado - 5-4 (everyone knows about this one)
Husted v. A. Philip Randolph Institute - 5-4 (ideological split)
Collins v Virginia - 8-1
US v Microsoft - Rendered moot
National Institute of Family an Life Advocates v. Becerra - 5-4 (ideological split)
South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc. - Split not along partisan/ideological lines, 5-4
Tump v Hawaii - 5-4 (ideological split)

So out of the cases decided on by SCOTUS this year, 4/10 were ideologically split while the rest were either not split, or split not along purely partisan lines.
Which is why I said many. 4 out of 10 qualifies as many to me.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/27/supreme-court-justice-anthony-kennedy-to-retire.html

Justice Kennedy is retiring from the SCOTUS. This means another conservative will occupy this formerly "moderate-conservative" seat for the forseeable future. Should another justice retire or vacate their chair it could mean a conservative swing to the court that could last for decades. 4-7/10 times anyway.
Liberals are going to go stark raving bonkers over this. Even without this Supremo disaster, 31% say civil war is likely within 5 years according to this: http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub.../june_2018/31_think_u_s_civil_war_likely_soon

Liberals are going to go stark raving bonkers over this.

I don't understand - why would they? Interestingly the numbers don't seem so different from the Obama-era poll they conducted. I consider myself quite liberal (ie well to the right of a Leftist) and I couldn't give two hoots what 300-ish people think about the chance of Britain's strongest ally being torn apart by civil war. The USA has been in worse places than this and come through, after all.

Back