America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
It's primarily a debating tactic but given the speed of news propagation in 2020 I'd argue that it works just as well in general media now.

In that context, I've heard the term Firehose of Falsehood used instead.

EDIT: Half tree'd by Tex.

Last edited:
The firehose of falsehood, or firehosing, is a propaganda technique in which a large number of messages are broadcast rapidly, repetitively, and continuously over multiple channels (such as news and social media) without regard for truth or consistency. Since 2014, when it was successfully used by Russia during its annexation of Crimea, this model has been adopted by other governments and political movements around the world.

The high volume of messages and the use of multiple channels are effective because people are more likely to believe a story when it appears to have been reported by multiple sources. In addition to the recognizably Russian news source, RT, for example, Russia disseminates propaganda using dozens of proxy websites whose connection to RT is "disguised or downplayed." People are also more likely to believe a story when they think many others believe it, especially if those others belong to a group with which they identify. Thus, an army of trolls can influence a person's opinion by creating the false impression that a majority of that person's neighbors support a given view.

Traditional counterpropaganda efforts are ineffective against this technique. As researchers at RAND put it, "Don't expect to counter the firehose of falsehood with the squirt gun of truth."
Predictably, that "army of trolls" includes the GOP, and the fabrication is actually linked to on Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH)'s official House of Representatives website.

Last edited:
There was a time when sinks commonly had an area next to the basin(s) that featured a slight pitch. A rack could be placed on this surface and washed dishes in said rack to drain excess water prior to drying. I can see using this area to drain pasta if the basin itself doesn't drain quickly, which may result in pasta getting a coating of anything that may line the bottom of the basin or even the plumbing beneath.

Those are basically universal in the UK.

Those are basically universal in the UK.
We've got a drainboard in the kitchen of our current house, which was built in 2003. Old house had one, presumably the original from 1946, but all 190lbs of enameled cast iron went when the house was remodeled for rental. Dishwashers sort of phased them out but they never went away completely, and I use it almost daily, be it for dishes because I enjoy doing them by hand despite having a dishwasher, or for any number of other purposes such as rinsing veggies prior to preparation. I've never used it to drain pasta, I must say.

We've got a drainboard in the kitchen of our current house, which was built in 2003. Old house had one, presumably the original from 1946, but all 190lbs of enameled cast iron went when the house was remodeled for rental. Dishwashers sort of phased them out but they never went away completely, and I use it almost daily, be it for dishes because I enjoy doing them by hand despite having a dishwasher, or for any number of other purposes such as rinsing veggies prior to preparation. I've never used it to drain pasta, I must say.

I do the same thing.

Except I don't have a drainboard. My MDF countertops LOVE ME.

If you guys over there don't have draining boards next to your sinks, wouldn't it make sense to get a big bowl and put your colander or strainer into that to drain your pasta rather than covering your worktops in sticky, glutinous pasta water? :confused:

Last edited:
In his defense, it is getting much more difficult to discern real news from satire.

In his un-defense, you'd have to be a potato to get more than two paragraphs into that article before smelling a rat.

And then it finishes with after hearing the Twitter employees talk about critical theory, the robot got woke and began attacking all the cis white males.

Peak journalism.

If you guys over there don't have draining boards next to your sinks, wouldn't it make sense to get a big bowl and put your colander or strainer into that to drain your pasta rather than covering your worktops in sticky, glutinous pasta water? :confused:
If I'm cooking a large enough quantity of pasta (or anything that needs to be similarly drained once cooked to the desired point), I have a two-piece stainless pasta pot that includes a fitted basket that goes in even before the water. About the only thing it doesn't consistently work for is especially small pastina such as tempestine, in which case I'm probably not cooking that much and I use a fine mesh strainer with a long handle, or if I am cooking a large quantity, I let the basket catch what it does and use said mesh strainer to go after the rest. Other times I'm cooking smaller amounts of a larger pasta, I just use a spider.

In his un-defense, you'd have to be a potato to get more than two paragraphs into that article before smelling a rat.

And then it finishes with after hearing the Twitter employees talk about critical theory, the robot got woke and began attacking all the cis white males.

Peak journalism.
There's no chance whatsoever he got past the headline that conforms to his preferred narrative.

Last edited:

In my defense, I currently do not have a bowl big enough to hold all that water, so I just prop up my strainer and drain my pasta over the kitchen sink.

However, depending on what I'm making (usually spaghetti and meatballs) I do try to save a small amount of the pasta water and put it back into the dish. I cook both the pasta and the meatballs together, so it helps give a little extra flavor once I get to the seasoning and tomato sauce phase.

Peak journalism.

I do kinda hate myself for laughing at that, not gonna lie.

In my defense, I currently do not have a bowl big enough to hold all that water...
So...I hadn't yet read what your response was to when I started reading your response, and up until I got to what follows the bit I've snipped above, I thought you were talking about how much there is to process in the current political environment and how difficult it is to do so.

I find it hilarious that the tangent is that analogous to the more serious discussion.

So...I hadn't yet read what your response was to when I started reading your response, and up until I got to what follows the bit I've snipped above, I thought you were talking about how much there is to process in the current political environment and how difficult it is to do so.

I find it hilarious that the tangent is that analogous to the more serious discussion.

If it helps, I did kinda forget that this all started due to the strainer allegory from yesterday.

I'm not a big fan of pasta. And regular noodles are nutritionally worthless, while whole wheat noodles taste like cardboard.
Comfort food. I've mostly cut it out of my diet but I have a craving every now and again, plus my wife really enjoys a couple of pasta dishes.

42disidb8ht51.jpg

T
Comfort food. I've mostly cut it out of my diet but I have a craving every now and again, plus my wife really enjoys a couple of pasta dishes.

True, I do like some of the meals, but it's not my go to.

I'm guessing Trump enjoys his regular pasta meals, while Biden eats them occasionally. This has not been fact checked.

I'm not a big fan of pasta. And regular noodles are nutritionally worthless, while whole wheat noodles taste like cardboard.

Nutritionally worthless?! :irked:

Maybe for some snowflake, skinny assed, coastal, elitist liberals ... but for the rest of us pasta is the greatest invention since ... bread!

When cooked, plain pasta is composed of 62% water, 31% carbohydrates (26% starch), 6% protein, and 1% fat. A 100-gram (3 1⁄2-ounce) portion of unenrichedcooked pasta provides 670 kilojoules (160 kilocalories) of food energy and a moderate level of manganese (15% of the Daily Value), but few other micronutrients.

Pasta has a lower glycemic index than many other staple foods in Western culture, like bread, potatoes, and rice.

Last edited:
259FCF7C-08AE-4408-96B7-8FA8DA338E65.jpeg

This is how I drain my pasta. Easy to empty over sink and then it’s ready for the sauce.

Last edited:
That actually looks hard to drain. Explain to me how you keep the lid from falling when you're tipping it with both hands (because it's full of water and you can't do it with one).

Palms under the handles, fingers over the lid, followed by a certain brisk flipping motion.

My parents used a similar item. I just use a plastic strainer.

Last edited:
Fingers on the handles, thumbs on the lid, hold it away from you and tip into the sink towards you.

Palms under the handles, fingers over the lid, followed by a certain brisk flipping motion.

My parents used a similar item. I just use a plastic strainer.

Not bad, might even be able to do that with oven mitts.

Latest Posts

Back