America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
My girlfriend was annoyed when she found out that I'd spent all of our money on a car made out of spaghetti.

You should have seen her face when I drove pasta.

Oh, wrong thread...

Funnily enough I had spaghetti bolognese earlier. I was lucky that I had a stash of tortelloni because I ran out of regular pasta earlier in the week.

With the restaurants out of business and everyone eating at home, you've got wonder what the heck they're eating. In the opinion of my cousin Karl, bread and pasta are the very worst things to eat. He eats one meal a day, largely of fat and protein.

you've got wonder what the heck they're eating.
Judging by how often I dash from Chick fil A, I'd say Chick fil A. Who the hell delivers chicken noodle soup?

Last edited:
Judging by how often I dash from Chick fil A, I'd say Chick fil A. Who the hell delivers chicken noodle soup?
Yeah, no Chick fil A here. But the hamburger-and-fry drive-ins around here are taking heavy traffic. I think Amazon may be getting into the grocery delivery business.

Please correct me if I'm wrong b/c I'm only seeing small highlights & clips, but it appears when Judge Barrett is asked how she would rule on a case or situation, it seems she's trying to answer in a, "I can't make a predetermined position, I have to see everything laid out in regards to it". A non-answer if you will, I suppose. Of which, normally I don't have an issue with such an approach; things aren't always black and white.

But, I saw a clip where I believe Senator Klobuchar asked Judge Barrett if it was illegal to intimidate votes at the polls? All I heard Barrett say was she can't apply facts & law to a hypothetical, basically saying at the end that she can't answer that question. I don't get that response being anything meaningful; it seems like a pretty straight forward, yes or no question. But Klobuchar answered it for her as yes, it's illegal.

Last edited:
Please correct me if I'm wrong b/c I'm only seeing small highlights & clips, but it appears when Judge Barrett is asked how she would rule on a case or situation, it seems she's trying to answer in a, "I can't make a predetermined position, I have to see everything laid out in regards to it". A non-answer if you will, I suppose. Of which, normally I don't have an issue with such an approach; things aren't always black and white.

But, I saw a clip where I believe Senator Klobuchar asked Judge Barrett if it was illegal to intimidate votes at the polls? All I heard Barrett say was she can't apply facts & law to a hypothetical, basically saying at the end that she can't answer that question. I don't get that response being anything meaningful; it seems like a pretty straight forward, yes or no question. But Klobuchar answered it for her as yes, it's illegal.

I heard about this while listening to NPR this morning. The pundits theorized that she gave such answers, including the voter intimidation answer, in order to avoid saying anything that could potentially upset Trump. When it came to the questions about certain cases and scenarios, her non-answers were imo acceptable, in a sense. But if NPRs theory is true, than her answer to voter intimidation is quite worrisome.

I really think it's important to know this about the nominee for the supreme court

First, holy hell you'd bloody hope that raping the inmates was outside the guard's official duties.

Second, I feel like there's some information missing here. I could see it being completely plausible that a company not be held responsible for the illegal actions of one of it's employees if that employee clearly disregards all policy and procedure to do something illegal.

For example, if a construction worker unhooks a colleagues safety gear and pushes him off the roof and kills him, I could see that not being the company's fault. They had all appropriate safety controls in place, it's just that the killer intentionally defeated them.

This is not to say that someone shouldn't be held responsible for the damages that the woman suffered as a result of being raped. Just that I can see how one could reasonably come to the conclusion that it might not be the prison, were the facts of the case to be a certain way. The article details a case in Polk County where the prison was held to be at least partially responsible as a result of their failing to do anything when there was a "glaring risk that its female inmates' health and safety were in danger".

I find ACB as troublesome as the next person, and rapists should face justice and rape victims should be awarded adequate damages so that they can attempt to rebuild their lives. But justice is not served by simply punishing the most obvious targets - that's what trial by media is. True justice is holding those responsible to account, whether it's those who committed the crime or those who allowed it to happen by conspicuous inaction. And it's not clear to me in this case that the prison is either of those.

Without seeing more information I wouldn't be comfortable saying she got this one wrong, no matter how bad it feels to say that.

Yeah, no Chick fil A here.
Where the hell in America doesn't have Chick fil A? Besides Casper WY. I know they don't have Chick fil A. They also don't have Sprint cell service, or much else resembling civilized society.

I really think it's important to know this about the nominee for the supreme court

She's proving herself to be a hardliner who doesn't believe in the "spirit of the law". She also tends to put all the burden on civilian defendants and avoid state responsibility for anything.

Last edited:
Where the hell in America doesn't have Chick fil A? Besides Casper WY. I know they don't have Chick fil A. They also don't have Sprint cell service, or much else resembling civilized society.

For the longest time, the only Chik Fil A in Michigan was on the campus of Oakland University. I had a night class and my buddy and I would go there right before they closed down and they'd give us unsold chicken sandwiches. They were terrible, mostly cold, but for a college kid, it was amazing. We'd drown them in tobacco sauce and then dump our flasks in a bottle of coke and head to class.

For the longest time, the only Chik Fil A in Michigan was on the campus of Oakland University. I had a night class and my buddy and I would go there right before they closed down and they'd give us unsold chicken sandwiches. They were terrible, mostly cold, but for a college kid, it was amazing. We'd drown them in tobacco sauce and then dump our flasks in a bottle of coke and head to class.
College was dope. Me and some friends had a terrible physics teacher so we showed up drunk pretty often. We ordered pizza to the classroom at least once. I still can't do physics but I can point to a contraption and tell ya if it'll work or not lol.

Last edited:
I don't have any Chick-Fil-As in my city but there is more than one Popeyes location here, which I think is the better option. I've had both Popeyes and Chick-Fil-A chicken sandwiches numerous times and Popeyes has always been superior.

Last edited:
I don't have any Chick-Fil-As in my city but there is more than one Popeyes location here, which I think is the better option. I've had both Popeyes and Chick-Fil-A chicken sandwiches numerous times and Popeyes has always been superior.
I spent a couple of weeks in Oakland (the city, not the university) during the Obama era and ate a lot of Popeyes. The crisp dry batter was far superior to any greasy KFC I'd ever tasted but I didn't realise they had the edge on Chick-fil-A as well, not having had the chance to try them out.

Popeyes not coming with a side order of anti-gay was I guess an added bonus of that time in comparison.

Last edited:
The Popeyes sammy is definitely better than Chick fil A, but Chick fil A has by far the better menu as a whole. It's also just perfectly predictable every time and they hire cute college girls which I'm all about.

The last time I went into a Popeyes it smelled like raw sewage so I didn't get anything (guessing it was just a plumbing issue that was likely fixed promptly, but still nothing turns you off of a restaurant like the smell of human waste). That combined with the piss poor service the ones by me usually provide make me never want to visit one again (they've apparently been aware of this issue for some time, but don't seem to want to actually fix it).

I will agree their spicy chicken and biscuits are top notch though if you manage to go during the brief period where the employees actually give a damn instead of trying to re-enact the Popcopy skit from Chapelle's Show.

On the flip side, I've been to Chic-fil-a quite a few times and have never had bad service and while their chicken isn't the best, it's still rather good.

Last edited:
Heh, I went to Oakland too, about a decade ago was the last time I was inside of the OC. The food court there was pretty poor. The whole college grew a lot recently though, hopefully it’s got some better food these days.

Last edited:
There's nothing special about the Popeyes sandwich, except the better price. Chick-fil-a > Popeyes
Not according to the other guys on this thread. It could be that you just have a worse Popeyes or better C-f-A near you than everyone else.

Last edited:
For me, the Popeyes sandwich beats the Chick-Fil-A one by nearly every metric. The chicken cutlet on both tastes about the same, but the Popeyes one gives you more pickles, spicy mayo, a better tasting bun, and is less money. But don’t get me wrong, Chick-Fil-A’s sandwich is still delicious.

Last edited:
It's almost as if the people actually making the food are more important than the corporation giving them the recipe. The Pizza Hut I used to go to was terrific, went all the time and I could never understand why everybody said PH was awful... but then every other PH I went to was meh at best and I was usually happy if I didn't end up mildly sick from grease overload afterwards.

I don't think I've actually ever seen a Chick-Fil-A myself. We used to occasionally go to Popeyes when I lived in Philly but they are all pretty far away now too and have changed a lot since then anyway.

I don't eat chicken sandwiches but as for fried chicken, Popeye's is my favorite of the fast food types of chicken joints. Much better than KFC. But I will say Publix deli has some outstanding fried chicken also.

I never really ate from Chik'Fil-A a whole lot to begin with but once their anti-gay stance came out I will never ever buy anything from them again.

Last edited:
but Chick fil A has by far the better menu as a whole.
And customer service. Go visit a Popeyes in the hood one time and get back to me. ;)
4 Count strips with CFA sauce and a large Mac&Cheese plus my personal drink preference* for the win!
*CFA doesn't sell beer...
And I know Popeyes doesn't either...

Last edited:
Not according to the other guys on this thread. It could be that you just have a worse Popeyes or better C-f-A near you than everyone else.

Or they could be just wrong. The sandwich was fine, just wasn't that impressed - bigger piece of chicken with some mayo and pickle slices. I don't really care for pickles with chicken and that seemed more pronounced on the Popeyes sandwich.

I think I only tried the plain sandwich at CFA once. My go to is the spicy chicken deluxe with pepper jack, which comes with pickles, lettuce and tomato. The CFA ingredients taste like they are higher quality, and I prefer there sauces.

Back