America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,707 comments
So all those people in the UK who voted for the Conservative party must be right because there are more of them than me?
They're far more right than I am... on a political scale of left to right. :lol:

Last edited:
With the restaurants out of business and everyone eating at home, you've got wonder what the heck they're eating.
Probably food. I mean, what with restaurants being a luxury and supermarkets still selling the things people buy, cook, and eat at home most of the week, and all.
In the opinion of my cousin Karl, bread and pasta are the very worst things to eat.
Is cousin Karl a nutritionist?
He eats one meal a day, largely of fat and protein.
I guess not. I wonder why anyone should give two short turds what Karl thinks on the subject, or why you thought to share this nugget of irrelevance.

In the opinion of my dog Radgie, oranges are the very worst things to eat. She eats two meals a day, largely of Dr. John's complete dog food, but is also partial to freshly laid excrement from my other dogs.

Is cousin Karl a nutritionist?
Thanks for asking. Karl is not a nutritionist, but has studied the subject and practices a form of intermittent fasting. He's a very rich property developer who owns 10 cars, half of them collectors, and is attending the Mecum auctions this year, as he does every year. He is is in superb physical condition and has the body of a heavyweight boxer. I thought my nugget would be relevant, since much of the thread lately has been devoted to pasta and bread.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with your dog.

I see you're a follower of the Donald Trump school of experts - if someone is rich then they must be able to expound as an expert on any topic.
No, I'm not trying to imply that at all. But Karl is quite a successful person in many ways, despite starting as an unloved and abused adopted child. and I respect him. I have no such respect for Trump. However, it is quite remarkable how he won the 2016 election having no real qualifications or elective office experience. I do not expect him to be reelected.

Thanks for asking. Karl is not a nutritionist, but has studied the subject and practices a form of intermittent fasting. He's a very rich property developer who owns 10 cars, half of them collectors, and is attending the Mecum auctions this year, as he does every year. He is is in superb physical condition and has the body of a heavyweight boxer. I thought my nugget would be relevant, since much of the thread lately has been devoted to pasta and bread.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide
Rambling by proxy. Novel.
I'm sorry to hear about the issues with your dog.
I have no issues with any of my dogs. Nor are they nutritionists, nor GTPlanet members, and their wisdom on and relevance to the topic is of little consequence.

She eats two meals a day, largely of Dr. John's complete dog food, but is also partial to freshly laid excrement from my other dogs.
My dog is the same way. Damn thing eats better than me and still when we send them out he's waiting for my girl's dog to drop a duce so he can get a taste.
We've started walking them on different sides of the house to keep him away from his poop.

So while filling out my ballot I was reminded that my state has a "First Gentleman" because Colorado has a gay governor. I completely forget this periodically.

“Davis may have been one of the first victims of this Court’s cavalier treatment of religion in its Obergefell decision, but she will not be the last. Due to Obergefell, those with sincerely held religious beliefs concerning marriage will find it increasingly difficult to participate in society without running afoul of Obergefell and its effect on other antidiscrimination laws.

This is plain bat**** cray. Does separation of church and state mean nothing to these dumbasses? Is it written in the bible that you are violating Christian principles by existing in proximity to people who aren't Christian? Give me a break. It's not even like shes giving consent. She's doing her job...or rather she should be. These bleeding heart conservatives are really starting to piss me off.

Last edited:
“Davis may have been one of the first victims of this Court’s cavalier treatment of religion in its Obergefell decision, but she will not be the last. Due to Obergefell, those with sincerely held religious beliefs concerning marriage will find it increasingly difficult to participate in society without running afoul of Obergefell and its effect on other antidiscrimination laws.

This is plain bat**** cray. Does separation of church and state mean nothing to these dumbasses? Is it written in the bible that you are violating Christian principles by existing in proximity to people who aren't Christian? Give me a break. It's not even like shes giving consent. She's doing her job...or rather she should be. These bleeding heart conservatives are really starting to piss me off.

Maybe if you're a Quaker, don't become a police officer right? I mean, your job might require you to violently apprehend a dangerous person, and Quakers believe (well, some of them anyway) in a deep-rooted pacifism in all cases. Is it religious persecution of Quakers to have to forcibly apprehend people if they become police? Obviously not. Likewise many federal jobs require people to use computers, this is not a great fit for the Amish. Feel free to have your weird religious beliefs, but you're not entitled to have an employer (including the government) change the job duties to conform to your religion.

It is as though those justices started with the preferred outcome and wrote backward, which is why it makes no sense.

Last edited:
And customer service. Go visit a Popeyes in the hood one time and get back to me. ;)
4 Count strips with CFA sauce and a large Mac&Cheese plus my personal drink preference* for the win!
*CFA doesn't sell beer...
And I know Popeyes doesn't either...

Come on - we all know nothing says Georgia like Waffle House. I believe state law calls for a couple of Waffle Houses at every interstate exit in Georgia.

And a Cracker Barrell.

Cracker Barrel is a bit less centred in the South & more evenly distributed across the country (mostly in the eastern half of the country).

I will share a Cracker Barrel experience that has become legendary in Biggles family lore. Some years ago I was visiting Florida with my wife & kids. I decided to introduce my wife - a genteel woman of refined & sophisticated taste - to the delights of Cracker Barrel dining. When the waitress came to take our drinks order my wife asked for a glass of wine - no luck. She then asked for a Perrier - no dice. Finally she asked for a chamomile tea - third strike. We laughed. :lol:

Cracker Barrel is a bit less centred in the South & more evenly distributed across the country (mostly in the eastern half of the country).

I will share a Cracker Barrel experience that has become legendary in Biggles family lore. Some years ago I was visiting Florida with my wife & kids. I decided to introduce my wife - a genteel woman of refined & sophisticated taste - to the delights of Cracker Barrel dining. When the waitress came to take our drinks order my wife asked for a glass of wine - no luck. She then asked for a Perrier - no dice. Finally she asked for a chamomile tea - third strike. We laughed. :lol:

I think every Cracker Barrel I've ever been to has a gift shop that you stand in to wait to be seated. You just mill around trying to stay out of peoples' way and avoid touching things. I mean, I know that you can buy swag at various restaurants, but CB acts like they're attached to an entire museum or zoo.

"What if we had a restaurant that made you feel like you were eating at a gas station by including a convenience store?"

That being said, I could go for some chicken fried steak and eggs at a cracker barrel right about now.

Last edited:
I think every Cracker Barrel I've ever been to has a gift shop that you stand in to wait to be seated. You just mill around trying to stay out of peoples' way and avoid touching things. I mean, I know that you can buy swag at various restaurants, but CB acts like they're attached to an entire museum or zoo.
Don't forget the rocking chairs out front.

"Is that the same thing as sweet tea?" :lol:

"What if we had a restaurant that made you feel like you were eating a gas station by including a convenience store?"

That being said, I could go for some chicken fried steak and eggs at a cracker barrel right about now.

Me and an ex girlfriend many years ago, went to our local Cracker Barrel and bought a bunch of Christmas gifts for her two daughters and other various members of her family.

Now I will give Cracker Barrel credit as that is about the only place other than small mom and pop restaurants where I can get chicken & dumplings.

I have to say one thing: I am always impressed by the fact that the staff at places like Cracker Barrel are almost uniformly friendly & cheery & service oriented no matter how apparently unrewarding their job situation. Very unlike what you commonly encounter in the UK and Europe.

Last edited:
I have to say one thing: I am always impressed by the fact that the staff at places like Cracker Barrel are almost uniformly friendly & cheery & service oriented no matter how apparently unrewarding their job situation. Very unlike what you commonly encounter in the UK and Europe.
Tips.

I work for a small restaurant chain. I do the payroll. Some of the waiters bring home $700 or more a week in tips. We only pay (most of) them $2.13 an hour.

There isn't much talk going on about the fact that a Democratic trifecta could push statehood for
(Moved here from the GTP Unofficial 2020 US Elections Thread:

DC and Puerto Rico, likely solidifying Senate control for decades to come. I'd also like to know the opinion of a high-quality-Trump-immigrant furriner @Famine

When/if Puerto Rico passes a referendum requesting statehood (I believe they already have at least once) then the US should accommodate it. As for the District of Columbia, on the other hand, there were valid reasons why the district is not a part of any state and is under direct control of the federal government.

To grant it statehood would require a Constitutional amendment; Article I Section 8 which delimits the powers of the Congress states in part:
US Constitution
To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States...

If any changes of status were to be made, it should be to return the land to Virginia and Maryland, who ceded it to the federal government originally. This too would require a constitutional amendment.

Alright so I have to ask our outside-the-US members a quick question.

Is the US situation absolutely terrifying? I mean, an amazing amount of destructive military power is under the thumb of Donald Trump, who is not exactly a mountain of stability (see the crazed/weird showdown between him and North Korea early in his term, and his drug-induced motorcade more recently). But the wheels are coming off fast right now. The republicans shrugged any level of accountability for him during impeachment, effectively allowing him to shake down foreign governments to become mouthpieces for his campaigning, there is evidence of Russian involvement in the current election cycle, and all of the checks and balances that would normally prevent the US from having an autocrat seem to be falling away at breakneck speed (esp: first amendment and due process).

It's terrifying to be inside the US right now, for sure. But also I'm not particularly worried (partly based on my personal demographic) that the full force of the US government is going to come after me if we see a second Trump term. However, it seems to me that from outside the US it could look even scarier. US military might has been, I think, somewhat palatable to the rest of the world given the structure of leadership at the top. I know we don't have a history of exactly minding our own business, be we also haven't gone on a worldwide conquest spree. If the structure of the US government falls away, the behavior of the country might get significantly less... restrained.

Anyway, how does this look from outside the country? Is the downside here just another China or Russia? Or do you guys feel like a handful of voters in Pennsylvania are standing between relative peace and a new flavor of authoritarianism starting to spread.

Last edited:
Back